Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL talent on our roster

Started by jgphillips3, April 30, 2017, 01:04:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

I was pondering today the NFL talent on this team since many are bemoaning our lack of drafted players in 2017.  I believe we have several players among our 2 deep who, barring injury, will absolutely play on Sunday and several others who, depending on development, might be drafted as well. 

Will be drafted (in my opinion):

Sosa Agim
Ryan Pulley
Frank Ragnow
RWIII (if he stays healthy)
Austin Capps
Jared Cornelius (strength: route running)
De'Jon Harris

Might be drafted:

Austin Allen
Devwah Whaley
Randy Ramsey
Austin Cantrell
Kevin Richardson
Dre Greenlaw
Brian Wallace
Briston Guidry
Johnny Gibson

There are a few like Merrick, Jordan Jones, Jeremy Patton, Brandon Martin, Pettway, that have all the physical gifts but we'll have to see how they develop over the next season or two.  In any regard, I think we have more NFL capable talent on this team than we have had in a while.  That usually translates to increasing win totals.

Agree, disagree, additions?

hawginbigd1

Jared I am not sure.

I think you can move Whaley, Ramsey, AA, Guidry, and Martin into the will be drafted.

And the biggest reason I am 100% behind BB and staff is the talent level has/is growing immensely on this roster from top to bottom. It is taking time but it gets deeper every year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Just too early to tell with so many of them in that list.  When guys like Kirkland and Skipper don't get drafted, then it gives me pause.  Agim and Ragnow are the only obvious ones to me. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

thebignasty

I think Cantrell, O'Gradey and Gregg are all talented enough if they get it figured out.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

jgphillips3

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 30, 2017, 01:21:29 pm
Just too early to tell with so many of them in that list.  When guys like Kirkland and Skipper don't get drafted, then it gives me pause.  Agim and Ragnow are the only obvious ones to me. 

Kirkland played out of position his Junior year and left one year too early.  Skipper isn't good enough to play tackle in the NFL (which most good college tackles aren't either so that's not a shot at him) and is too tall to be a guard because his height creates leverage issues.  However, I think he could make a career as a guard, utility lineman and special teams player but that means he is a free agent not a draft pick.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 30, 2017, 01:19:03 pm
Jared I am not sure.

I think you can move Whaley, Ramsey, AA, Guidry, and Martin into the will be drafted.

And the biggest reason I am 100% behind BB and staff is the talent level has/is growing immensely on this roster from top to bottom. It is taking time but it gets deeper every year.

There is always a place in the NFL for a player that runs solid routes.  I think Jared, if he has a solid senior year, can get drafted late.  Don't get me wrong on AA and the rest.  I absolutely believe they have the talent to play.  However, AA will need to take that next step this year, Martin hasn't played D1 yet, Whaley has less than 700 career yards thus far and Ramsey is just now being put into his natural position.  That's why I didn't put them in the "will be drafted" category.  Sosa is just a rare freak athlete so I'll take that leap on him.

31to6

Quote from: thebignasty on April 30, 2017, 01:22:20 pm
I think Cantrell, O'Gradey and Gregg are all talented enough if they get it figured out.
I think the top TE at Arkansas will be drafted as long as CBB is here because we will continue to attract top TE talent and then we will showcase it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 30, 2017, 01:47:24 pm
Kirkland played out of position his Junior year and left one year too early.  Skipper isn't good enough to play tackle in the NFL (which most good college tackles aren't either so that's not a shot at him) and is too tall to be a guard because his height creates leverage issues.  However, I think he could make a career as a guard, utility lineman and special teams player but that means he is a free agent not a draft pick.

My point is the difference between actual NFL talent and the fan's perception of NFL talent.

Leaving early or being out of position notwithstanding, you would have been hard pressed to find a fan who believed Kirkland would have gone undrafted.  And I'd bet most believed Skipper would have been drafted by the 7th.

Outside of Agim and Ragnow, in my opinion, none on the OP list are obvious future draft picks.  Some of them will be, no doubt, but it's not clear which they will be.

Skipper was the only Razorback I thought would get drafted (assume 6th or 7th round), but didn't.  Nobody else on the roster who was eligible for the draft displayed the talent necessary to be drafted.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawginbigd1

If you don't see Pulley as a draftee, I can't say you know what you are looking at. I will give you a break on Harris, but he will definitely be drafted

RaisinHog

I believe pulley has the skills size and speed to put him self into a possible 1st round pick ... Good corners are hard to find

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RaisinHog on April 30, 2017, 03:26:56 pm
I believe pulley has the skills size and speed to put him self into a possible 1st round pick ... Good corners are hard to find
My first real look at him, it's obvious why the staff is high on Tutt, he is already all bus 1st team.