Started by swinesation, March 04, 2013, 12:27:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

Assuming Powell leaves,

Coty Clark         6-7, 225 (Sr)
Alandise Harris   6-6, 230 (Jr)
Bobby Portis      6-9, 225 (Fr)
Michael Qualls    6-5, 205 (So)

Pretty impressive group right there. But will it be enough without a top level guard or two? Strange to see MA with a loaded frontcourt and paltry backcourt, but that is the reality we are facing. Love next year's frontcourt; worried as heck about the backcourt.

HogFaninMemphis

If Madden would develop his shot, he'd be a very nice piece at guard.  He handles the ball and runs the point well, but without a threat of him spotting up every once in awhile, teams can lay off him.  I also hope Dee Wagner and Scott can log some minutes at point next year.  I think Bell will continue to develop, but will his defense show up?  Right now he's perhaps the poorest defender on the team.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on March 04, 2013, 12:33:10 am
If Madden would develop his shot, he'd be a very nice piece at guard.  He handles the ball and runs the point well, but without a threat of him spotting up every once in awhile, teams can lay off him.  I also hope Dee Wagner and Scott can log some minutes at point next year.  I think Bell will continue to develop, but will his defense show up?  Right now he's perhaps the poorest defender on the team.
I think it will be Madden, I'm hoping he gains confidence and works on his jump shot this off-season. Bell is easily our worst defender, he's been very lost on defense the last 2 games. I love his confidence but he must work on D this summer, it's an absolute necessity.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

popcornhog

Quote from: swinesation on March 04, 2013, 12:27:20 am
Assuming Powell leaves,

Pretty impressive group right there. But will it be enough without a top level guard or two? Strange to see MA with a loaded frontcourt and paltry backcourt, but that is the reality we are facing. Love next year's frontcourt; worried as heck about the backcourt.

How could you possibly know that a couple of guys who are still in high school will be among our four best players?

What if they decommitted? What if they don't pan out as freshmen? What if BJ improves his shot and blossoms into an All-American? What if Hunter gains some wait and learns to finish better?

Rediculous assumption that they'll be among the four best on the team.

I am excited about them though.
WPS

Big Boi

Assuming Powell leaves,

This is where a pass first 6'6 PG like Madden will flourish.

TMc

Quote from: popcornhog on March 04, 2013, 02:44:12 am
How could you possibly know that a couple of guys who are still in high school will be among our four best players?

What if they decommitted? What if they don't pan out as freshmen? What if BJ improves his shot and blossoms into an All-American? What if Hunter gains some wait and learns to finish better?

The only one in high school is Portis, and he's a McDonald's All American.  They "usually" pan out..., but like you said he is in high school and you never know what kind of adjustment will take place.  Harris transferred from Houston last year and is sitting out this season.   From everything I've read - BJ is gone .., probably playing in Europe.

I hate to keep banging this drum - but Coach had better find him a couple of players that can shoot.., be it a wing / guard . ., we're still missing something on ther perimeter.

Erockster20

Well it's only one, not a couple.

Portis does deserve some hype. He is the highest rated player we have signed since Darnell Robinson. Higher rated than the likes of Joe, Ronnie, and Larry Satchell. :)

He can't "decommit" since he is signed.

Big Boi

Your entire post is wrong on so many levels.

popcornhog

Quote from: Big Boi on March 04, 2013, 05:48:41 am
Your entire post is wrong on so many levels.

My bad on Harris. The point still stands though. Neither have played a game at Arkansas.
WPS

three hog night

Quote from: Big Boi on March 04, 2013, 05:21:52 am
This is where a pass first 6'6 PG like Madden will flourish.

Nice hustle....I think Madden will thrive in an offense where he is not expected to score.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

The_Iceman

I'd say our best 8 Players next season will be:

Alandise Harris
Bobby Portis
Michael Qualls
Coty Clarke
Anthlon Bell
Rashaad Madden
Mardracus Wade
Kikko Haydar

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on March 04, 2013, 07:50:37 am
My bad on Harris. The point still stands though. Neither have played a game at Arkansas.

Harris averaged 13.3 pts and 6.4 rebs per game for Houston.

He actually played against Arkansas last season, putting up 18 points - 6 rebounds - 2 blocks - 1 steal.

RazorPiggie

Portis may not be 1st on the team but he will be by the end of the year unless someone starts playing out of their mind.

Big Boi

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2013, 07:54:37 am
I'd say our best 8 Players next season will be:

Alandise Harris
Bobby Portis
Michael Qualls
Coty Clarke
Anthlon Bell
Rashaad Madden
Mardracus Wade
Kikko Haydar
If Wagner doesn't beat out Haydar next year he needs to go.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Boi on March 04, 2013, 08:27:09 am
If Wagner doesn't beat out Haydar next year he needs to go.

There is no chance in hades that Wagner will beat out Kikko next season.

ricepig

I keep waiting on Madden to develop that turn around jump shot from the top of the key like Boothead had. They are both tall PG's who see/saw the court well and could distribute the ball. KY did this high school, and took the drive to the basket when available. I really hope he works out all summer on his jump shot, he can play the PG if he can shoot a little.

I know I'm in the minority, but I haven't been that impressed with Portis in high school. I've seen him play twice, so small sample size, but he doesn't dominate in my opinion.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on March 04, 2013, 09:17:57 am
I know I'm in the minority, but I haven't been that impressed with Portis in high school. I've seen him play twice, so small sample size, but he doesn't dominate in my opinion.

Someone must like him to make him a McDonald's All-American.

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2013, 09:29:51 am
Someone must like him to make him a McDonald's All-American.
Very true.  And I don't have a long record of scouting. But he's playing modest talent and scoring 15 ppg.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Karma on March 04, 2013, 02:36:12 pm
Very true.  And I don't have a long record of scouting. But he's playing modest talent and scoring 15 ppg.

Has performed quite well against players of similar or better ranking in other settings. Normal HS competition doesn't count for as much as AAU or when you go head-to-head with another top school or a HS team with a similar talent.

He battled Dakari Johnson (Kentucky signee and fellow 5 star) to basically a draw not too long ago.

jaredkr

Is BJ 100% leaving?? Sorry if already posted
I am Ray Finkel

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: jaredkr on March 04, 2013, 02:51:58 pm
Is BJ 100% leaving?? Sorry if already posted

I wouldn't say 100%. Probably closer to 90%. Rumors are that he's not exactly done well in class, so he might actually have to leave.

TMc

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2013, 09:13:26 am
I keep waiting on Madden to develop that turn around jump shot from the top of the key like Boothead had. They are both tall PG's who see/saw the court well and could distribute the ball. KY did this high school, and took the drive to the basket when available. I really hope he works out all summer on his jump shot, he can play the PG if he can shoot a little.

I get your point.., Boothead was the best.., I'm just hoping he'll play consistently like he did Saturday - he was a man possessed.

Sow Lancelot

From what I've seen Hunter has too much wait already. ;)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2013, 07:56:41 am
Harris averaged 13.3 pts and 6.4 rebs per game for Houston.

He actually played against Arkansas last season, putting up 18 points - 6 rebounds - 2 blocks - 1 steal.

Obviously I didn't know who he was -- and my point has been largely mitigated, but the fact remains that he's never played a down at Arkansas.

(Yes I'm mocking myself while clinging to my point at the same time)
WPS

chiefhawg

Seems like everyone is forgetting Moses Kingsley.

onebadrubi

Assuming Powell leaves,

For this to be true we have to have a Facilitator of the ball at the 1 spot.  If this happens then these guys will all of a sudden become great front court.  But, if we do not have an above average point guard these guys will have good games and games where the morons come on here and question everythign under the sun.  A facilitator will make them look even better than they did against Florida, Mizzou, and Kentucky in BWA. 

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 04, 2013, 02:58:15 pm
I wouldn't say 100%. Probably closer to 90%. Rumors are that he's not exactly done well in class, so he might actually have to leave.

Since posting this, I've seen some info that would indicate that he is 100% leaving. Can't really elaborate due to where it came from, but I will say it's out of necessity.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 04, 2013, 02:58:15 pm
He's leaving, his mind has been made up since last nov.

razorbackchamps94

If Powell and Young leave you can bet next year will look alot like this year, only improvement will be rebounding . Will be 18 and 14 or so looking at an NIT bid ,until he get a shooter we will be avg.

Dogtown Donkey

swinesation

Quote from: TMc on March 04, 2013, 05:22:56 am
I hate to keep banging this drum - but Coach had better find him a couple of players that can shoot.., be it a wing / guard . ., we're still missing something on ther perimeter.

I agree. We definitely need a SG who can flat shoot the ball. We'll see if we can get by with Scott/Wade there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: chiefhawg on March 04, 2013, 06:59:00 pm
Seems like everyone is forgetting Moses Kingsley.

We haven't forgot about him, he is just not going to be a major contributor next year. But he will contribute on defense.