10 (6.1%)
Gus Malzahn    Auburn
128 (78.5%)
Butch Jones     Tennessee
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Voting closed: November 08, 2017, 03:04:16 pm

Hoggie17

All of these coaches started in 2013, after 5 years on the job which coach is best? 

Hoggie17

Grizzlyfan

The only way you vote for any of the 3 other than Gus is if you have an agenda.

Deep Shoat

Stoops has done more with less.  He's made Kentucky almost relevant in the SEC East.

Gus has made Auburn almost irrelevant in the West.

Jones and Bielema have failed.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Razorfox

All things being equal, based on what we think we know about each school, I would put them in this order:

1) Malzahn
2) Stoops
3) Bielema
4) Jones

How many people on this board were pushing hard for Butch Jones? 

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hoggie17

Gus has Auburn in the top 10 and many of their fans want him fired.  I don't know if he would come back home or if he will be  given the opportunity, but he would be a good fit for Arkansas.  Would he see Arkansas as a destination job? 

Hogwild

Mark Stoops is 11-27 in conference play, one loss worse the CBB, including losses to two teams that have already fired their coach (Florida & Ole Miss)

Fan1958

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 07, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
Gus has Auburn in the top 10 and many of their fans want him fired.  I don't know if he would come back home or if he will be  given a chance, but he would be a good fit for Arkansas.  Would he see Arkansas as a destination job?

As others have pointed out, he is averaging just over 8.5 wins at Auburn with a 1-3 bowl record. He would be playing the same competition at Arkansas, replacing Georgia with Missouri, and not have near the recruiting base he has at Auburn.  Why is he a good fit here and what can he do better at Arkansas than at Auburn?
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

The Hawg Marshal

Only one of these coaches is the coach at Arkansas. And that is the only one I'm concerned about.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Razorfox on November 07, 2017, 03:22:20 pm

How many people on this board were pushing hard for Butch Jones? 
um nobody, plenty were pushing for butch davis
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dropkick

luckily that is not our 4 choices for a new coach

PorkSoda

Quote from: Fan1958 on November 07, 2017, 03:37:40 pm
As others have pointed out, he is averaging just over 8.5 wins at Auburn with a 1-3 bowl record. He would be playing the same competition at Arkansas, replacing Georgia with Missouri, and not have near the recruiting base he has at Auburn.  Why is he a good fit here and what can he do better at Arkansas than at Auburn?
he can certainly do better than CBB is, and there is no other realistic coach with a better resume.   face it, nick saban would not do better at arkansas than he is at bama either, but I bet you would take him in a heart beat.

fail argument if I ever heard one.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 07, 2017, 03:22:03 pm
Stoops has done more with less.  He's made Kentucky almost relevant in the SEC East.

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 07, 2017, 03:20:18 pm
The only way you vote for any of the 3 other than Gus is if you have an agenda.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 07, 2017, 03:42:50 pm
he can certainly do better than CBB is, and there is no other realistic coach with a better resume.   face it, nick saban would not do better at arkansas than he is at bama either, but I bet you would take him in a heart beat.

fail argument if I ever heard one.

Talk about a fail argument...

No matter if you like or dislike Gus, he has played in an NC, a Sugarbowl, and his average finish for his 4 complete years as an SEC HC is 3.88 out of the 14 SEC schools.

Those are facts.  If you picked anyone but Gus it clearly shows agenda or stupidity.
Readily admit he had a better football school for all but maybe TN to do this from.

Hoggie17

I know Tn will fire Butch, not sure what Arkansas will do.  BB is Long's man and they have known each for while, add that and Long is stubborn??

East Clintwood

I'm just hoping that 6 months from now, none of them will be coaching at the UofA.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Fan1958

Quote from: 12247 on November 07, 2017, 03:47:58 pm
No matter if you like or dislike Gus, he has played in an NC, a Sugarbowl, and his average finish for his 4 complete years as an SEC HC is 3.88 out of the 14 SEC schools.

Those are facts.  If you picked anyone but Gus it clearly shows agenda or stupidity.
Readily admit he had a better football school for all but maybe TN to do this from.

Yep, he played in a NC with the dreaded somebody else's players and has been on a downward spiral since, likely to finish 8-4 this year to go along with 8-4, 6-6, and 8-4.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

PorkSoda

Marshfieldhog

Not sure how you could argue for anyone but Gus on this poll.

RME

Quote from: 12247 on November 07, 2017, 03:47:58 pm

He did. For this poll, yeah he's the best. That's not really saying much.

As has been pointed out, he's won 8, 7, 8 in the last three full seasons, and is sitting 7-2 with Georgia and Alabama left. How/why/what makes anyone think he would do better at Arkansas than Auburn while playing the same teams, save Missouri for Georgia?

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 07, 2017, 04:01:47 pm
He did. For this poll, yeah he's the best. That's not really saying much.

As has been pointed out, he's won 8, 7, 8 in the last three full seasons, and is sitting 7-2 with Georgia and Alabama left. How/why/what makes anyone think he would do better at Arkansas than Auburn while playing the same teams, save Missouri for Georgia?
who do you think will do better?

Norvell?  is 8 wins in the AAC more impressive than 8 in the SEC?

just be honest, you don't care if gus is a good coach, you don't like him plain and simple.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 07, 2017, 06:53:51 pm
who do you think will do better?

Norvell?  is 8 wins in the AAC more impressive than 8 in the SEC?

just be honest, you don't care if gus is a good coach, you don't like him plain and simple.

I don't know what Norvell could do here. I have no frame of reference for an up and comer. With Gus, we do have a frame of reference, more so than Norvell.

Sure, I think Gus is a decent enough coach. I never said he wasn't. But with the frame of reference we have for him at a major football school in our same division with common opponents and a fertile recruiting area, I don't think he'd do much better --- and probably worse by a game each year --- here.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 07, 2017, 07:04:21 pm
I don't know what Norvell could do here. I have no frame of reference for an up and comer. With Gus, we do have a frame of reference, more so than Norvell.

Sure, I think Gus is a decent enough coach. I never said he wasn't. But with the frame of reference we have for him at a major football school in our same division with common opponents and a fertile recruiting area, I don't think he'd do much better --- and probably worse by a game each year --- here.
the frame of reference you have is that GM has been more successful in a THE toughest division of THE toughest conference than Norvell has been in a weak conference.

the choice there should be easy. 

if either one knows what it takes to compete in the SEC in GM.  Norvell will be in over his head.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Fan1958 on November 07, 2017, 03:37:40 pm

Keep in mind that Gus has faced much stronger OOC competition in Bowl games than Bret. FL State #1, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. Also played Clemson the last two years. Plays GA each year instead of Mizzo. Replace those teams with who we played and you would increase his win total by at least one additional win per year.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 07, 2017, 07:07:33 pm
the frame of reference you have is that GM has been more successful in a THE toughest division of THE toughest conference than Norvell has been in a weak conference.

if either one knows what it takes to compete in the SEC in GM.  Norvell will be in over his head.

So would you want Les Miles over Gus? He's more successful than Gus in THE toughest division of THE toughest conference.

Easy choice.

FWIW, if we had to take one of the two, neither of which I want, yeah I'd take Les using your argument.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 07, 2017, 07:12:26 pm
So would you want Les Miles over Gus? He's more successful than Gus in THE toughest division of THE toughest conference.

Easy choice.

FWIW, if we had to take one of the two, neither of which I want, yeah I'd take Les using your argument.
under normal circumstances I would agree with you, but my personal opinion is that Les is on the verge of dementia.  He should have retired years ago. 

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 07, 2017, 07:15:35 pm
under normal circumstances I would agree with you, but my personal opinion is that Les is on the verge of dementia.  He should have retired years ago.

Haha, I'll agree with you there.

I dunno, personal opinion is that I could stomach an up and comer like Norvell going 5-7 in year five more than I could an established guy (Bielema, Malzahn potentially) going 5-7 in year 5. While neither is acceptable, it's easier (for me at least) to say "okay the up and comer didn't work out" than face the situation we have now should it repeat with a guy like Malzahn.

PorkSoda

November 07, 2017, 07:25:54 pm #29 Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:42:15 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 07, 2017, 07:21:07 pm
Haha, I'll agree with you there.

I dunno, personal opinion is that I could stomach an up and comer like Norvell going 5-7 in year five more than I could an established guy (Bielema, Malzahn potentially) going 5-7 in year 5. While neither is acceptable, it's easier (for me at least) to say "okay the up and comer didn't work out" than face the situation we have now should it repeat with a guy like Malzahn.
right on, we are all just spit balling here while we wait to see what happens.

Edit: someone in another thread brought up kristi.  I hereby change my opinion.  I don't want Gus.  anyone crazy enough to be married to that woman shouldn't be anywhere near our football program.

LAGNAF

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 07, 2017, 07:07:33 pm

Didnt Malzahn get his current gig by doing well in a conference thats weaker than Norvell's? By your logic Norvell could prove to be at least as successful as Gus. Hell, Bielema had a much stronger resume than either and look where thats gotten us.

Just stop acting like you're the only one on the board who's logic works. It's a crapshoot and all you can hope for is that you place your bet on the pass line and the first roll is a seven.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 07, 2017, 07:55:54 pm
Didnt Malzahn get his current gig by doing well in a conference thats weaker than Norvell's? By your logic Norvell could prove to be at least as successful as Gus. Hell, Bielema had a much stronger resume than either and look where thats gotten us.

Just stop acting like you're the only one on the board who's logic works. It's a crapshoot and all you can hope for is that you place your bet on the pass line and the first roll is a seven.
I get that, but to be fair GM was OC at arkansas and was successful there, then was successful as OC at Auburn, then took a HC job for one year and was successful, then back to the SEC as a HC and was successful.

Norvell doesn't have near the resume, but yeah he could work out.  who knows.  I sure don't.  I just don't buy the logic that GM couldn't be successful here. 

The chances of him coming here however are likely pretty slim, so its a moot point.  but if he did, it would be a coup.  just because CBB wasn't successful has nothing to do with GM.

Hoggie17

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 07, 2017, 07:55:54 pm

Do really think had we hired Gus in 2013 we would be in our current situation?  I like both Norvell and Gus. Gus has won in the SEC, Norvell hasn't.  Gus is a safer hire.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 07, 2017, 03:22:03 pm

THIS!!