Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gastons ruh-roh

Started by gotyacovered, December 29, 2011, 02:48:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

think this is a txk flying club plane... looks like he was dealing with a tough departure, tailwind and a wet grass strip, no telling how close to gross he was. thank goodness no one was hurt.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/article/20111228/NEWS01/112280318
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

Possible wind shear combination?  I've been out of the region for a week so haven't really followed the weather there.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

ozarkshogfan

I don't live very far from Gastons, seems like at least once a year someone crashes there. Either last year or year before some folks crashed into the bluff after takeoff, killed a couple people

Flying Razorback

I'm definitely glad that everyone was safe.  That article really sums up the idea about how mishaps can occur on routine flights.  It sounds like the pilot was experienced with the area and the flight was fairly common to make.  It's good that the pilot kept up with his training and emergency procedures and was prepared to control the aircraft and egress safely.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

razorbacker3

We were staying a Gastons about 15 years ago with several other couples. We were in a cabin close to the down river side. Walked down to the resturant, ate breakfest, and about halfway back we noticed a plane leaning on a cabin close to ours. Seems the pilot broke a steering rod at takeoff and thats where it stopped. It was almost humorous since noboby was even excited. We checked it out and went on our business just like everyone else.

Jek Tono Porkins

December 30, 2011, 08:49:19 am #5 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:13:33 pm by gotyacovered
My grandparents live about a quarter mile upriver of Stetson's, I was just there from Sunday-Thursday.
Gaston's has more than its fair share of accidents. Not only is a grass strip, you can only takeoff and land one way. I've never landed there, I just go in to Flippin airport because it's on the same side of the river that my grandparents live on.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung