Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

full flap landings

Started by gotyacovered, December 19, 2011, 11:59:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i have been a 20* guy for the first 55 hours of landing and my pops and i did some full flap landings yesterday and i liked it, touch down slower, less ground effect/floating. what do you guys do?

also, you guys take off with any flap?
You are what you tolerate.

fdx flyer

I'm on a 3300ft grass strip.  I use partial flaps for takeoff in the Bonanza to get off the ground quicker.  On a normal paved runway, I don't use flaps for takeoff.

For landing, I generally use full flaps with the field made on final.  That's the norm for Bonanzas.  I've never flown a 182, so no experience to speak of there.

bvillepig

Short runway I use 10 degrees on take off for my Saratoga.  On landing I mostly use 30 degrees instead of full 40. 

My two 182 buddies use full flaps most of the time except with extreme crosswinds.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on December 19, 2011, 03:12:50 pm
Short runway I use 10 degrees on take off for my Saratoga.  On landing I mostly use 30 degrees instead of full 40. 

My two 182 buddies use full flaps most of the time except with extreme crosswinds.

i probably need to use 10 on take off again and see how i like it. havent dont it in a while.

i think the full flap deal is the way to go.

i had to go out to the airport and pay my bill over lunch today. i get out there and see a real nice steady 14-15 kt wind at 140*, so i decided to get some cross wind practice on 22. i kept telling myself i was going to try a full flap crosswind landing, but didnt want to ruin my streak of greasers. ;D

i did have one nice landing that turned into a 'almost crap my pants thread' moment. on one roll out i immediately take the aileron out and she wasnt quite done flying yet. at least this time i didnt get on the brakes. both of the scariest moments i have had happen to me have been on windy days on roll out.

theFlyingHog

In the 172 I usually stick to 20*. I dislike the huge amount of trim needed and I like to keep speed up for control effectiveness. My instructors hated it when I would fly ILS at 100kts instead of 90.

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 23, 2011, 10:28:06 pm
In the 172 I usually stick to 20*. I dislike the huge amount of trim needed and I like to keep speed up for control effectiveness. My instructors hated it when I would fly ILS at 100kts instead of 90.

On my 182 I bottom out the trim for 20 & 40. Kinda weird.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 24, 2011, 01:20:50 pm
On my 182 I bottom out the trim for 20 & 40. Kinda weird.
Wow. I always heard 182 were more nose heavy but you would think Cessna would leave wiggle room in there.

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 24, 2011, 03:40:55 pm
Wow. I always heard 182 were more nose heavy but you would think Cessna would leave wiggle room in there.

I think it is nose heavy, that's all I've heard since I got it. I don't ally have mucH to compare it to though.

theFlyingHog

December 24, 2011, 05:56:26 pm #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:14:06 pm by gotyacovered
I'm sure it is, but only until you trim it out! lol.