Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

prop werk

Started by gotyacovered, October 31, 2011, 11:59:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

anyone have a prop shop they like?

i am looking at this one: http://www.memphispropeller.com/

here is my problem.

looking like seals. (i hope) quoted ~$800 for the seal replacement. may have to replace the front part of the hub ~$1500. if it needs to be over hauled ~$3000.

You are what you tolerate.

MDH

Aircraft Accessories in Tulsa does some prop work I know.  Worth getting a second bid from them.

Some guy moved to Mena and was doing props in the building where High Performance used to be by the Elks lodge, but I don't even know if he's still around there.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

bvillepig

October 31, 2011, 07:10:19 pm #2 Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:14:23 pm by bvillepig
I had some work done at Memphis Propeller. They are located near the Olive Branch airport.

Its been a few years but they did a good job.

fdx flyer

Ive heard some good things about Memphis propeller.  Maybe a little pricey though.  When i had the Maule i had some work done by a shop on the east end of the Mountain View airport.  Good work and a fair price.  Cant remember the shop name though, and i dont have the paperwork anymore.  Maybe try calling the fbo there.

gotyacovered

think you guys are right, maybe a little high, but they can get it back to me at least 2 weeks quicker than any other shop. also--i have a friend that flys a baron, he is slinging grease and is taking it up there this week. he is letting my prop hitch a ride, making it that much quicker!

gotyacovered

Anyone know the best place to look up AD's?

theFlyingHog

I would try here.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage

If you can't find it, I've called the FSDO to ask questions like that all the time.

gotyacovered

props off and should be in Memphis by friday.

i am going deer/pheasant hunting in kansas (leaving straight from the south carolina game), will be back on the 13th. hopefully it will be back in route to me by the time i am heading back from kansas. need some luck for that to happen, mainly no overhaul!!!

gotyacovered

Lookin like a reseal and several other new Components, including a new dome for the hub. Most expensive reseal ever...

fdx flyer

Ouch!  I thought about you yesterday.  Hadn't seen this thread updated and wondered what the outcome was. 

I had a much smaller leak one time on my last airplane.  It was a quick reseal, but still cost around $700 if I remember correctly.  I would imagine with new parts, yours is a lot worse.  Sorry to hear it.  Never a good thing when the red juice comes out.

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on November 11, 2011, 02:21:33 pm
Ouch!  I thought about you yesterday.  Hadn't seen this thread updated and wondered what the outcome was. 

I had a much smaller leak one time on my last airplane.  It was a quick reseal, but still cost around $700 if I remember correctly.  I would imagine with new parts, yours is a lot worse.  Sorry to hear it.  Never a good thing when the red juice comes out.

Ya... Was thinking it was honna be a $800 job, with new parts and labor.... $2150! On top of that it was supposed to be back and on yesterday, b/c they have to wait on a some parts proly be end of next week.

Haven't flown since the day I started this thread.

Need some altitude.

gotyacovered

November 14, 2011, 12:14:05 pm #11 Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:15:50 pm by gotyacovered
Anyone coming from Memphis over the next few days? My prop sure could use a ride... It will fit in a 206 or something like that, or a SUV/pickup... Will help out with gas...  2 blade 82 inches (I think). Little rock... Or anywhere closer than Memphis, I am in Hope.

gotyacovered

gonna be here Friday morning, should be on by noon, will be scouting ducks by the time i leave the office Friday afternoon 3ish.  ;D

whatcha wanna bet the weather will be terrible ???

gotyacovered

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 15, 2011, 11:49:26 am
gonna be here Friday morning, should be on by noon, will be scouting ducks by the time i leave the office Friday afternoon 3ish.  ;D

woke up to this beautiful day, took a deep breath thanking the lord that i will get to fly this morning. no sooner than i get those thoughts off my mind, phone rings. truck that is (was) bringing my prop broke down on a delivery in Louisana yesterday, so we wait until Monday.

just glad its duck season, between that and the MSU game, the weekend should go fast.

gotyacovered

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 15, 2011, 11:49:26 am

its a good day boys, prop should be here anytime.

while my day was off on the props arrival, my weather forecast was spot on. hope the sun burns most of this off around here.

TAF says 211800z vrb06kt ovc030, so still should be able to fly.

question: in the TAF i saw the word TEMPO, what is that? at this point i should probably already know, but dont, only have a guess.

KTXK 211318Z 2113/2212 330007KT P6SM VCSH OVC005 TEMPO 2113/2115 5SM BR BRK008

gotyacovered

guess no one know the TEMPO questions???

still sucks

maybe it''l clear enough by 3:00 for some touch and goes...

theFlyingHog

TEMPO is temporary, it should give a time behind it, ie 0608. 0600-0800

TEMPO 2113/2115 5SM BR BRK008  ok so that would be from 1300 to 1500 on the 21st

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 21, 2011, 04:45:37 pm
TEMPO is temporary, it should give a time behind it, ie 0608. 0600-0800

TEMPO 2113/2115 5SM BR BRK008  ok so that would be from 1300 to 1500 on the 21st

thanks, thats what i guessed

ya buddy

bvillepig

go get em !!!

Good Luck

gotyacovered

so tired of the letters/numbers ovc700 or ovc500 or IFR

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 22, 2011, 10:52:08 am
so tired of the letters/numbers ovc700 or ovc500 or IFR

Tommorrow my man !!    It will be better.   

theFlyingHog

I see lots of stars outside and I know there's a ridge to the west!

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on November 22, 2011, 08:56:00 pm
Tommorrow my man !!    It will be better.   

My wife's aunt passed away (cancer) and her funeral is today. And I have to work a little, may e right before dark, cross your fingers for me.

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 22, 2011, 11:43:20 pm
I see lots of stars outside and I know there's a ridge to the west!

16/34 is our lighted runway and it's closed getting re-surfaced.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 21, 2011, 08:31:58 am
its a good day boys, prop should be here anytime.

while my day was off on the props arrival, my weather forecast was spot on. hope the sun burns most of this off around here.

TAF says 211800z vrb06kt ovc030, so still should be able to fly.

question: in the TAF i saw the word TEMPO, what is that? at this point i should probably already know, but dont, only have a guess.

KTXK 211318Z 2113/2212 330007KT P6SM VCSH OVC005 TEMPO 2113/2115 5SM BR BRK008

In flight planning you should consider the TEMPO condition +- an hour from it.  It means that the condition has the possibility to exist for 50% of the time or greater during the timer period given.  At the end of the TEMPO period, it reverts back to the previous prevailing line until the next prevailing line. 

The next you'll see is PROB30 which is a 30% probability during the given time period. 

TEMPOs are what'll get you a lot.  That's mainly where they'll put the passing thunderstorm that they don't know exactly when it'll hit.  In our regs we have to declare an alternate for the worst weather, tempo or prevailing.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

this thread is officially done, i am back 100%, flew my plane about 2 hours today, one hour flying, one hour of touch and goes.

just i can just look forward to that bill i am going to get :'(

theFlyingHog

Don't you just love those bills? You7 should have seen my face after a couple hours in the twin at Central..

gotyacovered

November 28, 2011, 04:55:05 pm #27 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:21:31 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 28, 2011, 03:01:09 pm
Don't you just love those bills? You7 should have seen my face after a couple hours in the twin at Central..

LOL.

i can only imagine.