Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winds

Started by Flying Razorback, October 06, 2011, 04:43:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

I'm getting tired of them.  I've been flying in northwest Oklahoma for nearly 4 years and I'm just ready for lower winds.  I'm tired of the max crosswind landings or the 50 knot pattern winds.

Today I had 40-50 knot tailwinds on downwind in the pattern and a 30-40 knot quartering crosswind down final.  Our max crosswind is 25 and we were between 23 and 26 on every pattern for an hour and a half.  This on top of flying with 2 students who are just a few flights in to the program.  Made for a long 3.5 hour flight.

I'm just ready for some nice 10 knot winds everywhere I go.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

i agree, but for a totally diff reason, any gusts over 10 and i am grounded. i havent flown for 5 straight days. depressed.
You are what you tolerate.

dc10x1103

one thing i had always wanted to do before i retired was see a ground speed of over 700 knots.  i was flying from korea to japan and had a tailwind of a little over 200 k.  with the true air speed of 505, i got to see the ground speed at 708.  that was the only time i saw that.  it took flying at .85 m and a hellious tailwind.

bvillepig

Wow
Not to hijack this thread but what are some of the top ground speeds.

Mine was 265 in my Saratoga coming from St Louis to Blytheville one year.

Had 105 knot tailwind @ 9000

I feel for you gotyacovered.  My wife used to tease me when I first started that if there was a cloud or puff of wind I was grounded.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on October 07, 2011, 02:29:07 pm
Wow

I feel for you gotyacovered.  My wife used to tease me when I first started that if there was a cloud or puff of wind I was grounded.

ya, several of my buddies give me a hard time, i play a lot of golf and they will say: what? thats not even a full club wind! very frustrating, wont be able to fly today either, so it looks. 14009g15kts

Flying Razorback

I'm currently 160 21G28.  Yesterday I was 130 variable to 160 and 20-24 G 28-36.  I'd like to say that was uncommon, but unfortunately I've seen that more than light winds or winds calm out here.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 07, 2011, 03:38:27 pm
I'm currently 160 21G28.  Yesterday I was 130 variable to 160 and 20-24 G 28-36.  I'd like to say that was uncommon, but unfortunately I've seen that more than light winds or winds calm out here.

I have landed at 19 NLT sure what it was gusting, but had CFI along... It's kinda fun, wouldn't want to do it eveyday tho!!!

Flying Razorback

And now they're screwing up my deer hunting on my off days!  Nothing like sitting in a tree swaying back in forth with 30 mile an hour winds.  These winds are trying to take the fun out of all the things I love in life.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bvillepig on October 07, 2011, 02:29:07 pm
Wow

My top ground speed was just over 550, I think 557.  I had a 125 knot tailwind at 33000.  I made it from northwest Oklahoma to Richmond, Virginia in 1 hour 50 minutes.

It'll be hard for most any jet to beat dc10's 700+.  My plane maxes out at 0.78 Mach so I'll never get it up there.  I'll have to wait until my post Air Force career since I'm moving to the C-130J next and won't have anywhere near the 450 knot true airspeed to work with.

bvillepig

Will you be flying C130 s out of LRAFB one of these days.

The do some night ops over here at KBYH some.  How I miss watching the B52s at Eaker AFB.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bvillepig on October 08, 2011, 11:51:51 am
Will you be flying C130 s out of LRAFB one of these days.

The do some night ops over here at KBYH some.  How I miss watching the B52s at Eaker AFB.

I will be headed there next.  I've been an instructor for the past 3.5 years but I'm going to train in to the C-130J at Little Rock AFB and then stay there for 3-4 years.  It was my second choice behind C-130s in Alaska for where to go next.  I'm pretty excited to go back home and fly a brand new jet.

bvillepig

That's terrific

Good luck to you.

theFlyingHog

http://groundspeedrecords.com/

I have the record for the little DA20.

http://groundspeedrecords.com/records/record%20light%20DA20%20185kts.htm

gotyacovered

I set up for slow flight yesterday an was indicating a ground speed of 29kts at 3400 ft on my 696... Wasn't sure how strong the wind was but was hoping for less! I was traveling parallel  with the east bound traffic on I30 and it felt like I was sitting still, pretty cool.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 10, 2011, 01:02:33 pm
I set up for slow flight yesterday an was indicating a ground speed of 29kts at 3400 ft on my 696... Wasn't sure how strong the wind was but was hoping for less! I was traveling parallel  with the east bound traffic on I30 and it felt like I was sitting still, pretty cool.
One of my instructors got us in slow flight working toward a power on stall, -11kts gs!

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 10, 2011, 01:07:04 pm
One of my instructors got us in slow flight working toward a power on stall, -11kts gs!

That's what I was after... Something like that!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 10, 2011, 01:10:20 pm
That's what I was after... Something like that!
Have you flown a Katana? Those things will go SLOW. And float forever! Haha I got great at slipping in early in my training when I was too hot on final.

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 10, 2011, 01:46:30 pm
Have you flown a Katana? Those things will go SLOW. And float forever! Haha I got great at slipping in early in my training when I was too hot on final.

i have not, wish i had the chance...

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 10, 2011, 03:32:21 pm
i have not, wish i had the chance...
If I'm ever not too broke to fly I'll be happy to rent one and go for a spin.

gotyacovered

was gonna fly today... as of right now its 22011g16 and my cfi said no.

gotta get to studying so i can get out of this stage.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 12, 2011, 02:55:11 pm
was gonna fly today... as of right now its 22011g16 and my cfi said no.

gotta get to studying so i can get out of this stage.
Aww that sounds like a great day to practice crosswinds! I used to go out on days like that and practice landing at Carlisle from every direction, even tailwind. I didn't actually make it to the runway with a 16kt tailwind but I would try. If it doesn't exceed the aircraft demo you should make your CFI get out there. I used to see SW landing at LIT with 30kts almost straight across the runway......I want to be able to do anything my bird can do.

Flying Razorback

I highly encourage my students to fly on max crosswind and high gust factor days prior to their checkride.  I've been in the pattern in very bad wind days like last week while other students are in the pattern taking their check ride.  I point out to my students that they had better get it down because days like that can/will happen when you have a check ride day.

It's a great learning experience and if you have a CFI with you then I definitely don't see the problem.

gotyacovered

ya... my cfi lives 2 hours away, i can handle it, he is a little leary if its gusting anywhere over 15 it is def one of my weaknesses, my rudder aileron coordination isnt very good, combine that with training in a nose heavy 182 and i am bow hunting instead of flying.

it was frustrating to me today b/c it was clearing up, rain was gone and the wind wasnt even really across... we just opened up a new runway, and closed another and i think that probably contributed to his decision. i haven't landed on it yet. will tomorrow though. and friday... and saturday  ;D

Flying Razorback

November 23, 2011, 12:37:59 pm #23 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:23:42 pm by gotyacovered
Hit 559 ground speed last week, I think that's my new personal record.  I snapped the picture at 557 then a minute or two later went up to 559.  Pretty sweet speed for a little guy though!