Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drake Field Question...

Started by El Guapo, September 12, 2011, 11:55:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

El Guapo

I am firing up the old Cessna 150 and heading up from East Texas for the game Saturday. Does Drake Field still provide a free shuttle before and after the game? How is parking at Drake?

Any hog aviators that can help me out?
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

bvillepig

Yes.  They had a shuttle for the first game

Gas Can

imisswarrenlinn

Make sure the plane-trackers know your number so the "Arkansas to Big 12 rumors" don't start up!
Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: imisswarrenlinn on September 12, 2011, 03:12:15 pm
Make sure the plane-trackers know your number so the "Arkansas to Big 12 rumors" don't start up!

Funny!

Verge

Wave to me on the left when you are landing. I'll probably be on my deck drinkin.

El Guapo

LOL! Longview to Fayettenam... Is LeTourneau University getting an invite?
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

aredwolfrazorback

With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

El Guapo

BloodRedHog

Man, I did not know the FBO had a free shuttle to the stadium. Do you need to call ahead?
I flew my Saratoga into KASG for last year's Bama game thinking Drake would be too busy.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

theFlyingHog

I LOVE Drake! Million Air is sweet and the tower personnel are great! But I always have issues there. Lol. Oil pressure, deer on the runway...

Haven't flown up for game day so idk what that's like. Get there early and you shouldn't have a prob

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 12, 2011, 09:16:41 pm
I LOVE Drake! Million Air is sweet and the tower personnel are great! But I always have issues there. Lol. Oil pressure, deer on the runway...

Haven't flown up for game day so idk what that's like. Get there early and you shouldn't have a prob

My problem is making the 600 ft/NM climb out off a 6000' runway.  They need to lengthen that runway just a little.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Hawgin84

;D

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 12, 2011, 09:21:47 pm
My problem is making the 600 ft/NM climb out off a 6000' runway.  They need to lengthen that runway just a little.
What are you flying? I'm off the ground in 2000' max. Hahahaha. I've only been up there in a 180hp 172 and DA20.  My dad still talks about how terrible it was flying back after an away game in a rickety old plane and dropping in there.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 12, 2011, 09:27:29 pm
What are you flying? I'm off the ground in 2000' max. Hahahaha. I've only been up there in a 180hp 172 and DA20.  My dad still talks about how terrible it was flying back after an away game in a rickety old plane and dropping in there.

I'm flying a Beech 400 so we have to make all climbouts with one engine inoperative.  In the summer or a wet runway our takeoff roll can get pretty long.

HoopS

Do me a favor.   Swing by Norman and then to El Paso and back to Norman and then Albuquerque and I'll start a rumor that OU has offered to stay in the Big 12 if and only if UTEP, New Mexico and NMS are added as members. 

Grunt

Quote from: texas hawg on September 12, 2011, 11:55:07 am
I am firing up the old Cessna 150 and heading up from East Texas for the game Saturday. Does Drake Field still provide a free shuttle before and after the game? How is parking at Drake?

Any hog aviators that can help me out?
double check the weather. 30% t-storms both sat and sun. use flight following? a good place to stretch the legs is Poteau, ok.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

WorfHog

+1

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 12, 2011, 09:29:08 pm
I'm flying a Beech 400 so we have to make all climbouts with one engine inoperative.  In the summer or a wet runway our takeoff roll can get pretty long.
Gotcha. I have just enough Duchess time to understand what that must be like. I used to be pretty lax about hitting Vr and Vy on the nose until I got in a twin with one engine feathered.

WorfHog

I remember reading a few years back that they were planning to extend the runway. 

Fan1958

Wow, 150.  A little bumpy over the hills?
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Flying Razorback

Flying Razorback

September 12, 2011, 09:57:02 pm #22 Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:02:50 pm by FlyingRzrbkAF
Quote from: Titanis on September 12, 2011, 09:50:00 pm
I remember reading a few years back that they were planning to extend the runway. 

I wish, their business would soar.  I'd love to go in there more.

edit:  Because I apparently still mix there and their...

Gas Can

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 12, 2011, 09:27:29 pm

I'm off at 300ft in my supercub and 1,000 agl before I get to the end of the runway.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Gas Can on September 12, 2011, 10:16:02 pm
I'm off at 300ft in my supercub and 1,000 agl before I get to the end of the runway.

That's awesome, there's definitely merit to fixed wing, single engine, general aviation.  There's nothing more pure.  It's just hard to go from Enid, OK to Richmond, VA in a 1 h 45 min in a Piper Cub (my record so far).  There's definite tradeoffs, I've got great altitude and speed, but that means horrible low altitude takeoff performance.

Gas Can

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 12, 2011, 10:19:53 pm
That's awesome, there's definitely merit to fixed wing, single engine, general aviation.  There's nothing more pure.  It's just hard to go from Enid, OK to Richmond, VA in a 1 h 45 min in a Piper Cub (my record so far).  There's definite tradeoffs, I've got great altitude and speed, but that means horrible low altitude takeoff performance.

That and I got "weathered in" last year at the Bama game with 1,500ft ceilings.  It is pretty cool flying 500ft above the tops of the ozark mtns.

BloodRedHog

Having a turbo helps. But my CHT's can sometimes get hot.
I'm thinking about flying to KTCL since it's only 1.5 hours from central Arkansas.
Never been to Tuscaloosa - anyone flown into that airport?

George S. Pigton

The state and city moved hwy 71 around a bit to add some footage to the runway, not sure if they have actually accomplished that
as of yet.  I'm sure if you call they could tell you.  The FAA wanted to add a 1,000 ft I think
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 12, 2011, 10:19:53 pm
I have always hoped that I will continue to fly light a/c for pleasure. But there are times where I wish for wx radar and the ability to get up in the FLs... Not to mention someone to bounce decisions around with.

Immensehog

I pulled over  on the side of the road for several minutes after the Bama game last year so my kids could watch a few takeoffs.  Been so long since I went back on 71(traffic), that I had forgotten how many aircraft land at Drake for a game.  There were literally 50+ million dollar jets in line to go.  I  rolled down all the windows so we could get the full effect.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

El Guapo

September 13, 2011, 07:58:35 am #30 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:06:25 am by texas hawg
Quote from: Grunt on September 12, 2011, 09:43:20 pm
double check the weather. 30% t-storms both sat and sun. use flight following? a good place to stretch the legs is Poteau, ok.

Thanks bro! And yes... Flight Following user

El Guapo

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 12, 2011, 09:55:24 pm
Wow, 150.  A little bumpy over the hills?
Yep... especially those East-West Ridges west of Mena!

HawgPilot

You wont have any problems at Drake regarding getting to the game.  I always fly into Drake for the games.

Pigsknuckles

Learned to fly out of Harvey Young Airport in Tulsa. 2000ft hard surface, 2500ft grass. At the  the time I was there, the hard surface consisted of a 20' wide oiled dirt path. The FBO demanded that anything but his Tomahawks be landed on the hard surface. Power lines on both ends demanded a somewhat steep take off and approach. Had a lot of fun watching the rich kids, and well funded middle easterners who flew out of Jones/Riverside drop in for short field work. Some of them never could get down.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Verge

Quote from: George S. Pigton on September 12, 2011, 11:04:57 pm
The state and city moved hwy 71 around a bit to add some footage to the runway, not sure if they have actually accomplished that
as of yet.  I'm sure if you call they could tell you.  The FAA wanted to add a 1,000 ft I think

Yes, they dicked up my drive for weeks, now there is just empty grass. Until they start extending the runway it looks rather like a huge waste of money.

It's been done for quite a while now.

El Guapo

Quote from: HawgPilot on September 13, 2011, 08:22:10 am
You wont have any problems at Drake regarding getting to the game.  I always fly into Drake for the games.

Where does the shuttle drop off and pick up at the stadium?

jbcarol

Quote from: texas hawg on September 12, 2011, 06:31:52 pm
LOL! Longview to Fayettenam... Is LeTourneau University getting an invite?

Good ol' LeTourneau.  What did he do? Keep 10% and give 90%?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

El Guapo

Quote from: jbcarol on September 13, 2011, 01:35:54 pm

Good ol' LeTourneau.  What did he do? Keep 10% and give 90%?

That's what they tell me.

HawgPilot

Quote from: texas hawg on September 13, 2011, 01:28:08 pm
Where does the shuttle drop off and pick up at the stadium?

It will drop you off about a block from the stadium and pick you up there as well.  Depending on what time it is, the shuttle will drop you off right at the stadium

El Guapo

Thanks for all of the info guys... we have opted for the Cessna 172 instead of the old 150 (1961 model) because of the rain chance. I still plan to hill hop in the 150 sometime up to fayettenam though!

Please FlyingRzrbkAF and HawgPilot Don't blow me off the field in ya'lls jetwash  ::)

FaytownHog

I'm new to the flying world, but really love to fly and can't wait to keep taking lessons and get my license. But I guess my question would be, (you don't have to answer if you don't want to), what the heck do you guys do to be able to afford even a fixed wing plane much less a beach400? Holy crap that's expensive! Not to mention putting fuel in it, ect.
It'd be my dream to own a plane some day but I can't figure out how it would even be possible for me.

phadedhawg

Gosh...flying yourself into Fayetteville to attend a Razorback game...

Wow...that would be a dream come true.  Enjoy it for all of us...

BloodRedHog

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 14, 2011, 07:52:17 pm
I'm new to the flying world, but really love to fly and can't wait to keep taking lessons and get my license. But I guess my question would be, (you don't have to answer if you don't want to), what the heck do you guys do to be able to afford even a fixed wing plane much less a beach400? Holy crap that's expensive! Not to mention putting fuel in it, ect.
It'd be my dream to own a plane some day but I can't figure out how it would even be possible for me.

It is not something to jump into lightly. I have a good job as does my wife. She's a nurse and I'm a manager for a mortgage company.
We spend about $950 per month on the plane financing and $190 monthly for insurance.
I let a friend who runs an FBO fly her sometimes and in exchange I get to park the bird in a heated hangar free.
Avgas runs about $1 more per gallon than auto gas and I burn 15 gallons an hour in cruise. But with a nice tailwind I can get 200 knots per hour.
To be honest, I don't fly as much as I thought I would and I am looking for a partner.
My advice for anyone looking to buy a plane is buy used and get a partner to split expenses.

Blue35

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: texas hawg on September 13, 2011, 07:58:35 am
Thanks bro! And yes... Flight Following user

I love using flight following.  It lets me cruise without constantly searching for other aircraft, weather, etc.  Also, Flight Watch is a great service for obtaining weather info in-flight, and they'll even help you avoid adverse weather by suggesting routes.  It's free, so why not use it?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

El Guapo

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 14, 2011, 08:04:48 pm
Gosh...flying yourself into Fayetteville to attend a Razorback game...

Wow...that would be a dream come true.  Enjoy it for all of us...

Bro I promise I consider it a huge blessing, and I am as giddy as a schoolboy every time I get the chance!

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 14, 2011, 07:52:17 pm

I really lucked into it... I learned to fly in college, I went to a school that offers aviation degrees and took the advantage of learning to fly. I now work in a field where I am privy to have free reign to a friends hangar. He owns a Cessna 150, a Cessna 172, A piper super cub and a pressurized beech baron (I stay away from the baron)

I admit, recreational flying has gotten to the point that the average joe is simply priced out. It is a privilege that i don't take for granted.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: texas hawg on September 14, 2011, 09:48:14 pm
Cessna 150, a Cessna 172, A piper super cub and a pressurized beech baron (I stay away from the baron)

I admit, recreational flying has gotten to the point that the average joe is simply priced out. It is a privilege that i don't take for granted.

Why do you stay away from the Baron?  That's a good little plane.  Nice lineup overall.

I went to Costa Rica this summer and rented a pilot and Piper Arrow.  When he found out I had 3x the hours he did he let me fly which was awesome.  Flying VFR over the rain forest in another country is pretty sweet.  We arrived at our destination and I let him take the landing since it was a 25' wide hard pack strip in the rain forest.

El Guapo

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 14, 2011, 09:53:17 pm
Why do you stay away from the Baron?  That's a good little plane.  Nice lineup overall.

I went to Costa Rica this summer and rented a pilot and Piper Arrow.  When he found out I had 3x the hours he did he let me fly which was awesome.  Flying VFR over the rain forest in another country is pretty sweet.  We arrived at our destination and I let him take the landing since it was a 25' wide hard pack strip in the rain forest.

Because that is the big man's baby and he has yet to let me taxi it out :)

Flying Razorback

Quote from: texas hawg on September 14, 2011, 10:11:34 pm
Because that is the big man's baby and he has yet to let me taxi it out :)

Now that will do it right there.

tiber

Quote from: Gas Can on September 12, 2011, 10:16:02 pm
Is it this one or the red one?  :)