Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's scrimmage

Started by ricepig, April 15, 2017, 11:49:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tusksincolorado

Quote from: oldhawg on April 16, 2017, 10:26:22 am
Bad look only to fans who want it to look bad.  Personally, regardless of what Bielema may have previously said, I think it is encouraging to see the young man work himself back into a competitive position.  Shows a bit of character on his part.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!....Thank you!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Birminghog

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 10:15:00 am
it is spring, he made the decision, and told everyone. looks bad to change now, no matter the situation.

never make those bold punishments public, if in the end they don't get enforced.

it is a spring scrimmage, in which he sat ragnow. don't think it was that important to run Gibson with the ones. it is just a bad look

Has more to do with a shuffle on the Oline with Paul Ramirez being gone and attending his grandmother's funeral.

PorkRinds

I can't think of a single legit reason why any hog fan would hear that news and think "oh that's a bad look for the coach" instead of "I'm glad and proud for Gibson for turning things around".

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2017, 12:30:09 pm
I can't think of a single legit reason why any hog fan would hear that news and think "oh that's a bad look for the coach" instead of "I'm glad and proud for Gibson for turning things around".

"Bielema added that he told Gibson after the first week of practice that he would grant a reprieve and "let you have a chance to run with the 1s" if he continued to do things right."

bennyl08

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 16, 2017, 07:50:08 am
Tyler Wilson played a solid game when Ryan got hurt against Auburn. That's the level of coaching and preparation I would like to see. It's the small things with Bret coaching that concerns me.

Where was the coaching and preparation when Tyler went in against Eastern Michigan of all teams and played a terrible game? Not to mention Petrino's first year here.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogcard1964

Quote from: HamSammich on April 16, 2017, 09:21:46 am
You guys should know you can not have opinions or questions that make you  appear to be anything other than zombie razorback fans that pop red colored pigs around here.

There is a lot of melting, isn't there?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Steef on April 16, 2017, 08:33:48 am
'Styflin' was posing a legitimate question. Coach B did in fact state...more than once...that Gibson would not play with the ones this Spring.

Then suddenly, he does.

Coach is entitled to change his mind, but he didn't SAY anything about it...when he HAD mentioned the punishment.

So it's a fair question to wonder 'what changed'.

Meantime, you're being a butt about it.
You could see this coming. After the first practice Gibson moved up to the second offensive unit. From that point on Bielema began giving updates on Gibson, when asked (and we did ask, a lot). I wasn't surprised a bit to see him with the first unit yesterday, especially with a couple of the linemen not available. Personally I could not care less what Bielema said after the first practice. That was then and this in now.
Anybody who'd rather see Raulerson in that spot feel free to complain.  ;)

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 16, 2017, 02:15:51 pm
There is a lot of melting, isn't there?

No just a LOT of pot stirring by the "Pot Stirrers".....

which is typical nowadays on Hogville.

Reminds me of the days of the Barner Trolls.....

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 16, 2017, 03:14:42 pm
You could see this coming. After the first practice Gibson moved up to the second offensive unit. From that point on Bielema began giving updates on Gibson, when asked (and we did ask, a lot). I wasn't surprised a bit to see him with the first unit yesterday, especially with a couple of the linemen not available. Personally I could not care less what Bielema said after the first practice. That was then and this in now.
Anybody who'd rather see Raulerson in that spot feel free to complain.  ;)

No body will complain Mike....it would tip their hand, and agenda.

bennyl08

Quote from: Steef on April 16, 2017, 08:33:48 am
'Styflin' was posing a legitimate question. Coach B did in fact state...more than once...that Gibson would not play with the ones this Spring.

Can you point to the interview where he says that Gibson wouldn't play with the ones for the entirety of spring?

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/16/gibson-in-good-graces-20170416/

I posted earlier an article from 2 weeks ago where Anderson was stating that Gibson would have to work this way back up to first team so it has been early on that Gibson has been stated as being able to play with the first string if he earns it back.

The article I link here quotes that Bielema suggested that Gibson wouldn't play with the ones all spring which is a pretty vague statement, but clearly something was said that I missed/forgot about. All I remember was how he was demoted to below second string so I'm curious to hear the actual words Bielema used.

Thanks.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

thebignasty

y'all are in mid-season form

Steef

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 03:43:17 pm
Can you point to the interview where he says that Gibson wouldn't play with the ones for the entirety of spring?

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/16/gibson-in-good-graces-20170416/

I posted earlier an article from 2 weeks ago where Anderson was stating that Gibson would have to work this way back up to first team so it has been early on that Gibson has been stated as being able to play with the first string if he earns it back.

The article I link here quotes that Bielema suggested that Gibson wouldn't play with the ones all spring which is a pretty vague statement, but clearly something was said that I missed/forgot about. All I remember was how he was demoted to below second string so I'm curious to hear the actual words Bielema used.

Thanks.

This is a good reply, Ben. Nice post.

As for research, you're better at it than I am. If... Bret's statements were overblown on here...THAT would be a reply to 'Styflin's question (and my post).

And you weren't a butt about it.

Kudos.

tophawg19

Sad , you can't actually discuss the event for having to wade through all the Bull Ship . I know everyone has an opinion but at this point we haven't seen enough to develop a good one. Some just have to tear everything down
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogcard1964

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 16, 2017, 07:48:16 pm
Sad , you can't actually discuss the event for having to wade through all the Bull Ship . I know everyone has an opinion but at this point we haven't seen enough to develop a good one. Some just have to tear everything down

I didn't think anyone was tearing anything down, but only questioning things. No?

bennyl08

Quote from: Steef on April 16, 2017, 07:12:08 pm
This is a good reply, Ben. Nice post.

As for research, you're better at it than I am. If... Bret's statements were overblown on here...THAT would be a reply to 'Styflin's question (and my post).

And you weren't a butt about it.

Kudos.

Should keep the post about the words in the post and not the poster themselves.

Steef

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 08:14:52 pm
Should keep the post about the words in the post and not the poster themselves.

You should give that advice to tusks.

bennyl08

Quote from: Steef on April 16, 2017, 08:23:57 pm
You should give that advice to tusks.

First, I'm not a mod. Second, if a given poster never puts anything substantial in his or her posts, well... far be it from me to keep somebody from harvested what they've planted.

tophawg19

We should be talking about the players and the scrimmage . But it's hard to stay on topic in here anymore
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Been reading this thread for several minutes.  We do seem to get all tangled up in minor things.  What I hope for is improvement of the team.  I don't care that BB may have made a decision that he later changed.  It seems to me that he declared that Gibson wouldn't play first string in the Spring and that BB left the decision on where he played in the Fall depending on his doing the things necessary to recover his position on the team.  I personally believe it helps to have a Unit of the team practicing together as much as possible so if Gibson is first string good, then I really want him in there. 

Overall, I hope we are getting the subs some real practice time.  I listen to Stoops concerning Spring practice and he preaches his efforts to do just that, get the backups as ready as possible.  Mentioned n here is the still raging debate about the 2nd team QB.  On a team with the usual overall talent we have, fielding a QB that can and will be a game changer is very important to us.  Except for the last two thirds of Brandon's final year and sometimes last year with Austin, we haven't had a game changing QB.  No second team QB has stepped up to a level necessary to go win the game for us.  We likely will not go through the entire season without getting Austin hurt so we need his backup to perform, not just take up a position.  In my opinion.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 12247 on April 16, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
Been reading this thread for several minutes.  We do seem to get all tangled up in minor things.  What I hope for is improvement of the team.  I don't care that BB may have made a decision that he later changed.  It seems to me that he declared that Gibson wouldn't play first string in the Spring and that BB left the decision on where he played in the Fall depending on his doing the things necessary to recover his position on the team.  I personally believe it helps to have a Unit of the team practicing together as much as possible so if Gibson is first string good, then I really want him in there. 

Overall, I hope we are getting the subs some real practice time.  I listen to Stoops concerning Spring practice and he preaches his efforts to do just that, get the backups as ready as possible.  Mentioned n here is the still raging debate about the 2nd team QB.  On a team with the usual overall talent we have, fielding a QB that can and will be a game changer is very important to us.  Except for the last two thirds of Brandon's final year and sometimes last year with Austin, we haven't had a game changing QB.  No second team QB has stepped up to a level necessary to go win the game for us.  We likely will not go through the entire season without getting Austin hurt so we need his backup to perform, not just take up a position.  In my opinion.

+1000

Great post

I agree, we need to prep Storey.  I'm starting to have an uneasy feeling again about our offensive line again.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 17, 2017, 08:14:18 am
+1000

Great post

I agree, we need to prep Storey.  I'm starting to have an uneasy feeling again about our offensive line again.

Based on what? Have you been to the practices?

It is crap like this post that get you invited off of boards.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 12247 on April 16, 2017, 09:23:37 pm

How many SEC teams have this game changing second string QB?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 08:59:58 am
Based on what? Have you been to the practices?

It is crap like this post that get you invited off of boards.

More melting....

Chi: I'm simply voicing an opinion.  There's no reason to be triggered or get defensive over it.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 17, 2017, 09:15:24 am
More melting....

Chi: I'm simply voicing an opinion.  There's no reason to be triggered or get defensive over it.

And he was asking what you were basing that opinion on. If one puts some facts or data with their opinion, then it has some merit to have a discussion. Just stating, "we suck", or "we will never lose again", bring out the questions of why?

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 10:02:30 am
And he was asking what you were basing that opinion on. If one puts some facts or data with their opinion, then it has some merit to have a discussion. Just stating, "we suck", or "we will never lose again", bring out the questions of why?

It's already been discussed. It was based on the depth of the offensive line and the sudden bump of Gibson.

It's also obvious Allen was pretty ineffective during the latter part of last season.  A lot of that was due to him being pounded (the O line fell apart) as well as bad decisions (holding onto the ball).  Hence the need to prep someone as backup.

I don't understand why some people get pis¥ed over opinions?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 17, 2017, 10:29:14 am
It's already been discussed. It was based on the depth of the offensive line and the sudden bump of Gibson.

It's also obvious Allen was pretty ineffective during the latter part of last season.  A lot of that was due to him being pounded (the O line fell apart) as well as bad decisions (holding onto the ball).  Hence the need to prep someone as backup.

Because you ignore when someone provides the facts to a situation. Such as your continued comments about Gipson being elevated. Due to injury, death in a family, and him turning himself around are the reasons you see Gipson with the 1s. Yet, you still have "concerns".

Why do the facts not alleviate your concerns? I can tell you because you like getting on boards and bellyaching. You have a history of doing this. This is why you get called out so much.

For Allen - it was his first year. Many QBs are inconsistent their first year. If he shows inconsistency this year then you can have a concern. But Allen is getting accolades from people outside the program. Just not so much from fans like you.

Don't flatter yourself as I am not even close to being angry.

hogcard1964

OK

Peace brah...

Ftr, I like Allen a lot.

...and I guess we'll see whether his bump is temporary or not.

ricepig

We have 6 guys that started on the o-line returning, they'll try to put the best 5 out there. As to this "sudden" elevation, I posted in here what Bielema said on Saturday as to why he was getting some #1 reps, yet, you seem to always think some other reason was used. All we can go on is what is reported, correct? You seem to be the only one pissed over opinions, you know the ones where people refute yours? Or do you think people should just post their opinions, and we leave them for themselves? If so, you're posting will drop in half, mine too, lol.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 17, 2017, 10:45:53 am
OK

Peace brah...

Ftr, I like Allen a lot.

...and I guess we'll see whether his bump is temporary or not.

Worthy of posting your nonsense again.

It is comedy gold. Why was the line having issues Saturday? Because they were prepping less experienced players. Storey and Cole both were mentioned as playing. Why? Because they need the practice.

Seems the coaches are prepping the positions you fear are not being prepped. Change your avatar name to Hyperbolicard1964.

Kevin

your just better off not believing half of what a coach says
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2017, 11:24:23 am
your just better off not believing half of what a coach says

Or anyone that posts on here.......

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 17, 2017, 11:28:57 am
This thread is a laughable snapshot of where MMQB is today -

Skeptic - "Seems something blah blah blah something Bielema blah always something something blah".

Hogville Self-Appointed Circuit Court - "You're a flaming idiot".

RinseWashRepeat until the first bad loss, then the vitriol will flow from all corners while the Hogville Circuit Court is conspicuously absent.
Then approximately 24-36 hours later, court will reconvene and the cycle begins anew.

I beg your pardon - I use the phrase village idiot not flaming.  ;)

jkstock04

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 17, 2017, 11:28:57 am
This thread is a laughable snapshot of where MMQB is today -

Skeptic - "Seems something blah blah blah something Bielema blah always something something blah".

Hogville Self-Appointed Circuit Court - "You're a flaming idiot".

RinseWashRepeat until the first bad loss, then the vitriol will flow from all corners while the Hogville Circuit Court is conspicuously absent.
Then approximately 24-36 hours later, court will reconvene and the cycle begins anew.

What I laugh about is the squirming and twisting people do to try and dispel any obvious negatives. So instead of talking about it in a level headed manner you have the usual homers picking fights like always. The end problem is you don't get the whole story of what is really going on with the team.

The official spring game is in a couple of weeks and I can already guarantee you what will happen on the internet and talk radio. Percieved positives will be viewed as absolute proof that we have turned the corner and this will be a great year. Percieved negatives will be met with "this is just the spring game, you are a brain dead moron if you think this practice game means anything with how this team will perform."  Personally I don't see how you can have that scenerio both ways. The truth, as always is to take what the general consensus is and believe about half of it.

Think about last off season how everyone was making out the shuffling on the offensive line to be a good thing and we had nothing to worry about there. Well we saw how that turned out. You really can't make some of this stuff up.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Personally I prefer to leave whatever personnel changes, wherever they might be or whom they may involve, totally up to the COACHES and staff. They're being paid to make the decisions; they're the ones who see each practice and evaluate each player's performance/progress and they're most definitely set the standards by which players are to be guided on their conduct on and off the field. Otherwise give it a rest already!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 17, 2017, 11:52:25 am
What I laugh about is the squirming and twisting people do to try and dispel any obvious negatives. So instead of talking about it in a level headed manner you have the usual homers picking fights like always. The end problem is you don't get the whole story of what is really going on with the team.

The official spring game is in a couple of weeks and I can already guarantee you what will happen on the internet and talk radio. Percieved positives will be viewed as absolute proof that we have turned the corner and this will be a great year. Percieved negatives will be met with "this is just the spring game, you are a brain dead moron if you think this practice game means anything with how this team will perform."  Personally I don't see how you can have that scenerio both ways. The truth, as always is to take what the general consensus is and believe about half of it.

Think about last off season how everyone was making out the shuffling on the offensive line to be a good thing and we had nothing to worry about there. Well we saw how that turned out. You really can't make some of this stuff up.

I vote for this right now despite what occurs in the Spring Game. We will run, we will pass, we will defend, we will tackle, QB's will be off limits for hits AND it will leave a very vanilla taste in your mouth because they aren't going to show anything of great importance.

We won't have a great idea about how good we are until we actually get into the season. I'll remain hopeful and supportive of the program but none of us can see what is really going on so our opinions really are just for conversation, little of which can be based on any fact that is derived from spring practices.
Go Hogs Go!

colbs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 17, 2017, 11:57:52 am
I vote for this right now despite what occurs in the Spring Game. We will run, we will pass, we will defend, we will tackle, QB's will be off limits for hits AND it will leave a very vanilla taste in your mouth because they aren't going to show anything of great importance.

We won't have a great idea about how good we are until we actually get into the season. I'll remain hopeful and supportive of the program but none of us can see what is really going on so our opinions really are just for conversation, little of which can be based on any fact that is derived from spring practices.
It's hard to read too much in the spring game.  Last year the DL owned the OL. So a lot of people including myself thought the DL would be pretty good.   Well turns out the OL was just that bad.

jkstock04

Quote from: colbs on April 17, 2017, 12:18:13 pm
It's hard to read too much in the spring game.  Last year the DL owned the OL. So a lot of people including myself thought the DL would be pretty good.   Well turns out the OL was just that bad.
Here's a 2 page thread on last years spring game. Like I said, some of this stuff you can't make up.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=611742.50
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

How many level headed "negative Nancy's" are there? Comments like, "the o-line is hot garbage", isn't level headed. What's funny, is those who find something wrong all the time, believe they are the only "level headed" posters. It's spring practice in which 99.9% of us haven't seen a snap, yet we rely on reports from others to define the playing of this team. I've said it before, we'll know a little bit about this team in week one, and a whole lot about it in week two.

ChitownHawg

So what you are saying is if I disagree with you then I am a homer. If I bring stats to show you are wrong then I am picking a fight. Is that what you are saying or did I misunderstand?

Just trying to figure out why the people posting the negative stuff are so sensitive. Don't you like a challenging conversation?

Where I tend to draw the line is when someone is shown clear stats and they still keep up their negative posting. I don't mind you trying to bring an opposing opinion.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 17, 2017, 12:26:09 pm
Here's a 2 page thread on last years spring game. Like I said, some of this stuff you can't make up.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=611742.50

I am sorry but I read a lot of posts stating the spring game does not mean much. Which it doesn't.

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 23, 2016, 10:22:23 pm
It amazes me that people can watch one controlled intersquad scrimmage and use that as a basis to write off a season that won't start for another four months.

And fans wonder why coaches and players take shots at them from time to time.

That seems like a reasonable statement by Wilsonhog.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 12:54:09 pm
So what you are saying is if I disagree with you then I am a homer. If I bring stats to show you are wrong then I am picking a fight. Is that what you are saying or did I misunderstand?

Just trying to figure out why the people posting the negative stuff are so sensitive. Don't you like a challenging conversation?

Where I tend to draw the line is when someone is shown clear stats and they still keep up their negative posting. I don't mind you trying to bring an opposing opinion.
For whatever reason some who take shots on the Internet are thin skinned themselves. It's like they can challenge coaches, players or other fans but if somebody give it back to them they get immediately butt hurt. Very odd.

factchecker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 12:54:09 pm

The super critical and negative fans (aka self proclaimed "realists") are the most hypersensitive, thin-skinned, and limp wristed.  You challenge their opinions in any way or if you provide facts that prove them wrong then you are nothing but a "sunshine pumping, homer, mediocre accepting looser".  They can't take it.  I've caught plenty of them in straight up lies and they either disappear, move the goalpost, or resort to crying and calling everyone homers.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 17, 2017, 01:02:52 pm

Yeah, those Negative Nancys are real rabble-rousers...

Whatever.

Neither HC nor you answered my question. You quote me, but fail to answer my question. Have an opposing opinion, but try to back it up with something.

I do not get where asking a person a question is such an issue. But I am a rabble rouser.  ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2017, 01:04:10 pm
For whatever reason some who take shots on the Internet are thin skinned themselves. It's like they can challenge coaches, players or other fans but if somebody give it back to them they get immediately butt hurt. Very odd.

For me, I never understood why it is hard for some to take a stand. Then if their stand was proven wrong - you simply say good point. Upon which you change your position on the subject. In other words, you learned something.

Learning new things should be fun not an insult.

Doesn't make you less of a man or an idiot. Simply means you listen to reasonable advice.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 01:05:55 pm
The super critical and negative fans (aka self proclaimed "realists") are the most hypersensitive, thin-skinned, and limp wristed.  You challenge their opinions in any way or if you provide facts that prove them wrong then you are nothing but a "sunshine pumping, homer, mediocre accepting looser".  They can't take it.  I've caught plenty of them in straight up lies and they either disappear, move the goalpost, or resort to crying and calling everyone homers.

In my book being a homer isn't a bad thing. Think about it - would you rather be sitting at a game with a homer or Negative Nancy?  8)

factchecker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 17, 2017, 01:14:34 pm
In my book being a homer isn't a bad thing. Think about it - would you rather be sitting at a game with a homer or Negative Nancy?  8)

Most of the negative fans don't go to games anyways.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 17, 2017, 01:02:52 pm

Yeah, those Negative Nancys are real rabble-rousers...

Whatever.

I'm glad we could agree on that.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 01:17:47 pm
Most of the negative fans don't go to games anyways.

THOSE EMPTY SEATS LOOK LIKE CRAP ON TV!!!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ChitownHawg

factchecker

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 17, 2017, 01:22:52 pm
THOSE EMPTY SEATS LOOK LIKE CRAP ON TV!!!

"THE CROWD SOUNDS QUIET ON TV!"

Meanwhile this is happening in the stadium:

https://twitter.com/ElvisMoyaUA/status/787489485768445952

https://twitter.com/dj45williams/status/787487490277904384

QuoteYou can actually feel Razorback stadium shaking underneath our feet right now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=313lMCQ4Nxg

Even opposing quarterbacks give our crowd more love than the "realist":

https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/814127234428661762
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS