Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB Guru Ken Mastrole "Bright future for Allen & AR"

Started by jcbville, April 07, 2017, 02:09:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

You guys are like the fringe left..... any opinion you don't like must be fought at all costs and annihilated. Hogcard is obviously a fan or wouldn't put up with all the crazies here.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 06:03:40 pm
You guys are like the fringe left..... any opinion you don't like must be fought at all costs and annihilated. Hogcard is obviously a fan or wouldn't put up with all the crazies here.

Well, it was my opinion. Am I not allowed to have one?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

How about answering my question?

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 11:13:01 am
What do you mean by attitude after contact? Are you seeing him throw picks or wild balls after he is hit?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

HamSammich

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 06:12:44 pm
How about answering my question?

That's what gets people banned. If I add fact to support an opinion I'm gone.... again. The ole "Never bash a player rule"....

The mods wait for traps like these. Ill just stick to my opinions.

I can give you game tape ive put on YouTube and the exact minutes where I think he's mentally checked out and alienated his offense, but that's on you guys to figure out on your own.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 07:26:14 pm
That's what gets people banned. If I add fact to support an opinion I'm gone.... again. The ole "Never bash a player rule"....

I can give you game tape ive put on YouTube and the exact minutes where I think he's mentally checked out and alienated his offense, but that's on you guys to figure out on your own.

That's exactly the opposite of how things work.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2017, 07:31:30 pm
That's exactly the opposite of how things work.
Actually, I got a 10 day ban for posting BA's stats in a thread.

its not supposed to work that way, but it is what it is.

there is a fine line between bashing and being critical, but mods don't always care about that distinction.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

And you're like the fringe right. Full on fake news believing, fact averse, opinions with zero validity but run them into the ground nonetheless.  You're the Alex Jones of Hogville.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2017, 07:54:17 pm
Actually, I got a 10 day ban for posting BA's stats in a thread.

its not supposed to work that way, but it is what it is.

there is a fine line between bashing and being critical, but mods don't always care about that distinction.

¿Really?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 07:26:14 pm

Not a problem as it is not worth a ban.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2017, 08:44:30 pm

¿Really?
yeah, it was pretty weird, I forget exactly what it was, but it was something to the effect of, BA struggles in the 3rd Qtr, and some comparative stats to back up the statement.  then boom the next day I was banned.

I guess its possible I got caught up in a mass banning action since I think several people in that thread got banned.  but whatever, that was a few years ago at this point.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The Kig

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 17, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
Jalen Hurts was under appreciated early in the seaon. But look at how he was able to allude defenses.  I do understand however that he is physically built to do those things.

Jalen Hurts isn't a dual threat QB.  He is a running back that can sorta throw, once in a while.  Kinda like Tebow.  Not a bad thing, but just not a good example of a dual threat QB.  Once that riddle got solved, they got beat...by an actual dual threat QB. 

I get what you're saying... it's just such a rare combination where a QB is actually skilled in both aspects.  They are usually one or the other.   Matt Jones was the closest thing we have had to a dual threat (maybe Grovey is a better example) QB.  He was a thing of beauty in the open field and had arm strength (but no accuracy), but really more of threat once he took off because he was one of the fastest players on the field.  Will never forget the looks on DB's faces when that long, slow looking stride started putting separation between them...there was a lot of "WTH?" with opposing defenses.   

The bigger problem for dual threat QB's is that even if they have speed, they will almost never have the size to take the hammering of an SEC defense.  Tebow had a fullbacks body, so he delivered hits and could absorb them...still couldn't throw.
Poker Porker

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on April 19, 2017, 05:03:06 pm
Jalen Hurts isn't a dual threat QB.  He is a running back that can sorta throw, once in a while.  Kinda like Tebow.  Not a bad thing, but just not a good example of a dual threat QB.  Once that riddle got solved, they got beat...by an actual dual threat QB. 

I get what you're saying... it's just such a rare combination where a QB is actually skilled in both aspects.  They are usually one or the other.   Matt Jones was the closest thing we have had to a dual threat (maybe Grovey is a better example) QB.  He was a thing of beauty in the open field and had arm strength (but no accuracy), but really more of threat once he took off because he was one of the fastest players on the field.  Will never forget the looks on DB's faces when that long, slow looking stride started putting separation between them...there was a lot of "WTH?" with opposing defenses.   

The bigger problem for dual threat QB's is that even if they have speed, they will almost never have the size to take the hammering of an SEC defense.  Tebow had a fullbacks body, so he delivered hits and could absorb them...still couldn't throw.

That "RB that can sorta throw", completed almost 63% of his passes last year for 2780 yards, 23 TD's and just 9 INT's, and rushed for 954 yards and another 13 TD's, so I would say he is pretty much the definition of a Dual Threat QB. Not sure what you would qualify as a Dual Threat QB but Alabama wouldn't have been as good on offense as they were last year without him.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: The Kig on April 19, 2017, 05:03:06 pm

At Florida, Tebow had a career completion percentage of 66.4, 9,285 yards, 88 TD and 16 INT.

Those stats are better than most guys who "can throw."

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 06:31:42 pm
That "RB that can sorta throw", completed almost 63% of his passes last year for 2780 yards, 23 TD's and just 9 INT's, and rushed for 954 yards and another 13 TD's, so I would say he is pretty much the definition of a Dual Threat QB. Not sure what you would qualify as a Dual Threat QB but Alabama wouldn't have been as good on offense as they were last year without him.

2780 yards over 14 games isn't all that much (<200/game). 23:9 td:int ratio? That's nothing to write home about. BA has a 20:5 ratio and people were rather ho-hum about it. 954 yards and 13 td's would be solid for a rb, but is very good for a qb.

Yes, Hurts was a freshmen, so there is unquestionably room for improvement. However, if we had a qb put up those numbers in the passing game (ignoring the running aspect), nobody would be drooling about that players as a throwing threat. Can he turn into a true dual threat by the time his college career is done? Certainly. However, a true dual threat is somebody who can go toe to toe with the best passers in the game and toe to toe with the best runners. <200 a game passing, <3:1 td:int ratio = not a major passing threat.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2017, 07:19:55 pm
2780 yards over 14 games isn't all that much (<200/game). 23:9 td:int ratio? That's nothing to write home about. BA has a 20:5 ratio and people were rather ho-hum about it. 954 yards and 13 td's would be solid for a rb, but is very good for a qb.

Yes, Hurts was a freshmen, so there is unquestionably room for improvement. However, if we had a qb put up those numbers in the passing game (ignoring the running aspect), nobody would be drooling about that players as a throwing threat. Can he turn into a true dual threat by the time his college career is done? Certainly. However, a true dual threat is somebody who can go toe to toe with the best passers in the game and toe to toe with the best runners. <200 a game passing, <3:1 td:int ratio = not a major passing threat.

That's just your opinion. He helped Alabama's offense be what it was and it was pretty good considering that they had the O-Line and RB's that they had as well. He is still a Dual Threat, but that is my opinion. I would be happy to have a QB that helped generate 267 yards of total offense every game, aside from what my RB's generated.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

I actually think Co-ed Kiffin was pretty good at the O-coord stuff. I don't think Bammers offense will be as good this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on April 19, 2017, 07:49:55 pm
I actually think Co-ed Kiffin was pretty good at the O-coord stuff. I don't think Bammers offense will be as good this year.

Well Sarkisian sure didn't help them much in their bowl game. They seemed good to go when Kiffin was in charge though, as much as I hate to say anything good about Kiffin.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 07:59:07 pm
Well Sarkisian sure didn't help them much in their bowl game. They seemed good to go when Kiffin was in charge though, as much as I hate to say anything good about Kiffin.

we agree

gchamblee

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 11:10:43 pm

What is he going to sell me this year??? I didn't see anything but a qb who was a product of a system that scowled and whined every time he got touched.

lmao. anyone that takes you seriously deserves to be trolled.

gchamblee

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 10:08:44 am
We all have opinions people. It's funny what will turn the masses here though.... say anything other than our allen isn't the greatest thing since the model T and the populace grabs their pitchforks and shovels.

This is just my opinion and I'm not changing it.

nobody expects you to stop posting retarded comments, but quit acting shocked when people call you out for it

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 06:31:42 pm

That pass to Ridley that broke the game open against us was a pretty nice pass for any QB.

hawganatic

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2017, 07:19:55 pm

The yards per game stats are skewed...  Alabama had a pretty sizable lead towards the end of most of their games, so they were pounding the ball in the 4th quarter to drain the clock out. 

You have to look at what he did WHEN he threw the ball, which is complete 63% of his passes.  That means the coaching staff could trust him to make good decisions and make a play when they asked him to throw the ball.  Also anytime somebody throws less that double digit interceptions in 14 games is pretty salty, no matter how you want to spin it.

Jalen Hurts is exactly what you want in a dual threat QB.  Made plays with his feet and arm, didn't force anything, didn't try to use games to run his highlight reel up, and showed great leadership/poise (especially for a freshman).

WriterWrong

Geez. I read the title and racked my brain wondering, "Who the heck is this AR?"

I get it now.

woodhog14

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 11:07:41 pm
Credit CBB , Enos and a friendly play action offense... this allen may sit at third string for some NFL team too. Proves that I'm right fornsupporting CBB

Edit and strike gold my ass there are better qbs on our roster!
Please tell me who you think is better than AA on our roster right now.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 07:35:08 pm
That's just your opinion. He helped Alabama's offense be what it was and it was pretty good considering that they had the O-Line and RB's that they had as well. He is still a Dual Threat, but that is my opinion. I would be happy to have a QB that helped generate 267 yards of total offense every game, aside from what my RB's generated.

Remember, if you're not Cam Newton or Aaron Rogers, you're not any good. 

code red

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on April 07, 2017, 03:16:11 pm
That's fine. Let the haters hate. A GOOD senior QB in this league is a sweet asset to have. A lot of SEC coaches will be happy he is gone after this year.
Its a what have you done for my lately world.  The Missouri and VT debacle is all they remember.  Let's hope Austin has forgotten.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 07:35:08 pm

Those stats aren't my opinion, those are facts. Where those stats rank among other quarterbacks also is not my opinion but is fact as well.

I don't understand your second sentence/opinion. General use of that last part is typically used as a negative. So it basically reads "he helped that offense be pretty good despite their OL and RB's". Now, I can't imagine anybody who remotely follows SEC football say something and mean it like that. However, bringing up Bama's OL and RB play only acts to diminish what Hurts did seeing as he was completely surrounded by loads of talent. So it also doesn't make sense that you would cut your own argument down.

His yards ranked 46th among qb's, completion % 29th, ypa 70th (i.e. he wasn't completing difficult throws), td's 35th tied, tied for 43rd most int's, 46th in rating (noting that i'm only looking at what espn considers qualified players).

Austin ranked 20th in yards, 49th in completion %, 15th in ypa (meaning some combination of either amazing yac by the receivers or a lot more downfield throws), tied 28th in td's, 5th most INT's, 30th in rating.

Hurts completes a lot of passes, but they are high percentage throws and he's 70th in yards per attempt, which also explains the low interception rate.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/12/13609292/jalen-hurts-alabama

This article sums up my feelings on Hurts quite nicely. Strong arm, game changing qb for Bama, could develop into a lethal dual threat qb for the tide. However, the passing game this season with them was very limited to only high percentage throws as the OC had to basically hold his hand as he develops. Yeah, he's a true freshmen qb and I'd be shocked if he wasn't a true dual threat qb by his third year. However, if you are only allowed the easiest of passing plays to do while the more difficult throws are kept off limits, you can not be considered a true threat in both running and passing.

goodguytex

Austin Allen is one of those kind of players that I really wish was a junior, and we could have him one more year after this year. He has the tools himself to be reallt awesome this ysar. Maybe best in conference.

Big question marks that may hold him back are what we all know... How good our Oline does, and how good the new recivers are. Our defense improving and keeping the offense fresh will help too.

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on April 20, 2017, 09:10:08 pm
Austin Allen is one of those kind of players that I really wish was a junior, and we could have him one more year after this year. He has the tools himself to be reallt awesome this ysar. Maybe best in conference.

Big question marks that may hold him back are what we all know... How good our Oline does, and how good the new recivers are. Our defense improving and keeping the offense fresh will help too.

With Allen, I keep thinking back to 2013 and am really glad in hindsight that we played Derby and kept the redshirt on Austin. I mean, I thought that was the best move back then as well, but it is doubly good now.

HogHomer

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 20, 2017, 09:36:44 pm
With Allen, I keep thinking back to 2013 and am really glad in hindsight that we played Derby and kept the redshirt on Austin. I mean, I thought that was the best move back then a well, but it is doubly good now.
That's the thing no one ever talks about when discussing if Austin should have played instead of Derby in the Rutgers game. We wouldn't have him this next year if we did play him and I think that was a good decision by Bret to keep the redshirt on.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HogHomer on April 20, 2017, 10:36:37 pm
That's the thing no one ever talks about when discussing if Austin should have played instead of Derby in the Rutgers game. We wouldn't have him this next year if we did play him and I think that was a good decision by Bret to keep the redshirt on.
No way!  Bret Bielema doesn't make good decisions!  We might have won another game or two in 2013 if we had played Austin over AJ! 

You never look to the future, only the now!
All Gas, No Brakes!

LRHawg

Hurts was good, but I will be interested to see how he does without Kiffin.

nchogg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 20, 2017, 09:36:44 pm
With Allen, I keep thinking back to 2013 and am really glad in hindsight that we played Derby and kept the redshirt on Austin. I mean, I thought that was the best move back then as well, but it is doubly good now.
You are absolutely right benny. Austin was still learning the offense and now that Austin has worked under Coach E a few years I hope Austin has a great season. Last year our defense made some average QB's look great. If everyone does their job on offense we will see much more production. With the pressure our defense is starting to put on the offense it will prepare them even more. :razorback:

code red

Bright future...hmmmm.  Has he seen us play defense??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: code red on April 21, 2017, 11:56:54 am
Bright future...hmmmm.  Has he seen us play defense??

The Dow is down 40 pts today. Dump it. Dump it all.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: code red on April 20, 2017, 01:33:26 pm
Its a what have you done for my lately world.  The Missouri and VT debacle is all they remember.  Let's hope Austin has forgotten.

I take the opposite view of that. I want Austin to remember those games as well as the rest of the team so that this season, they don't make the mistakes they did in those games last year. Even Mike Irwin stated that AA shouldered part of the responsibility for the offense's second half collapses late last season. I have a feeling that Austin will be a much better QB this year which will make the offense better too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

southeasthog

Quote from: GuvHog on April 21, 2017, 12:49:07 pm
I take the opposite view of that. I want Austin to remember those games as well as the rest of the team so that this season, they don't make the mistakes they did in those games last year. Even Mike Irwin stated that AA shouldered part of the responsibility for the offense's second half collapses late last season. I have a feeling that Austin will be a much better QB this year which will make the offense better too.
Beliema needs to not try to be mister nice guy and keep his foot on the gas. I think it was Biggus or Wilson that said "I'm tired of us trying to run the clock out the whole second half.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

goodguytex

Arkansas is going to be in fantastic shape with QB talent for years to come,  with who we have and who we are supposed to get in this next class. 

With Enos doing his thing,  I have no issue or fear about whoever gets the starting job once Allen moves on.  We should be fine at QB.  Online,  special teams and defense are who I'm most curious to see what happens. 

daBoar

Quote from: HogHomer on April 20, 2017, 10:36:37 pm
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: daBoar on April 21, 2017, 07:38:01 pm

How is that stupid cliche even applicable to the discussion at hand?

HogHomer

Quote from: daBoar on April 21, 2017, 07:38:01 pm
You have a hard time focusing don't you?

daBoar

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 21, 2017, 07:46:28 pm
How is that stupid cliche even applicable to the discussion at hand?
It's not a dumb cliche to folks who've played ball.  Have you ever seen the current coach go for the jugular; I sure haven't while he's been on the Hill.  Today, I'm very glad AA is still around, but the Hogs would have been much better off without Derby playing significant QB minutes.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: daBoar on April 21, 2017, 08:07:00 pm
It's not a dumb cliche to folks who've played ball.  Have you ever seen the current coach go for the jugular; I sure haven't while he's been on the Hill.  Today, I'm very glad AA is still around, but the Hogs would have been much better off without Derby playing significant QB minutes.

Pay attention. You might learn something.

The last time I checked the Hog baseball team was getting shellacked by Auburn to the tune of 15-2. Using your logic, DVH should empty his bullpen rather than saving them for the 2 games left in the series.

There's "going for the jugular" and then there is saving something for the long term.

You just told all of Hogville you're an instant gratification type of guy.

HamSammich

look several people have called me out on my opinion... and its just my opinion.

Yes CBB and CDE style is very very very veeerrrryyyyyyy qb friendly. They are required maybe 2 times a game to make difficult throws. Throws that elite QBs would consider simple.

I love our system... I like our coaches... but our current qb checked out of a few games last year and alienated his offense with his demeanor after being hit. ... AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. I'm not bad mouthing a player. We went as far as the allen family could take us and CBB will have to choke on a 7win season next year with a win over bama.

just my opinion.

I rest my opinion case.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 08:48:46 pm
look several people have called me out on my opinion... and its just my opinion.

Yes CBB and CDE style is very very very veeerrrryyyyyyy qb friendly. They are required maybe 2 times a game to make difficult throws. Throws that elite QBs would consider simple.

I love our system... I like our coaches... but our current qb checked out of a few games last year and alienated his offense with his demeanor after being hit. ... AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. I'm not bad mouthing a player. We went as far as the allen family could take us and CBB will have to choke on a 7win season next year with a win over bama.

just my opinion.

I rest my opinion case.

His OL may have lost him when they let him get smashed into the ground repeatedly. 

HamSammich

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2017, 08:50:24 pm
His OL may have lost him when they let him get smashed into the ground repeatedly.

Tough guy approach there huh? Want to know 10 qbs that have better stats being hit more that AA during a season? No of course you don't....

And yes you are right when things get bad bark at the team.

factchecker

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 09:37:41 pm
Tough guy approach there huh? Want to know 10 qbs that have better stats being hit more that AA during a season? No of course you don't....

I do.  I really am not debating or second guessing you either.  If you have stats of 10 quarterbacks who were hit more than Austin I'd like to see them.  It would be interesting to see how many other teams struggled as badly as we did in pass protection.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 09:37:41 pm

And yes you are right when things get bad bark at the team.

Are you saying great QB's don't bark at their lines? I'd have to disagree there. I'd love to see your stats.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 08:48:46 pm

just my opinion.

I rest my opinion case.

You've had so many ridiculous posts on here (IMO) that it's very difficult for me to even read your posts let alone agree with one.
I told my brother, after the season ended and Coach made the statement that players needed to decide if they wanted to be a part of what they were doing, that I would bet AA got some serious coaching concerning his attitude on the field. Of course his frustration came from getting pummeled consistently, but as a QB u cannot let your frustrations show as it will most likely carry down to the rest of the team. The QB is usually the most important leader on the entire team, not just the offense and I just felt that he didn't show the best leadership he could have.
The difference between what you are saying and what I told my brother is I believed he would learn from it and come back for his senior season and play like an All American. Your dislike of the Allen family is blinding you to the possibility that AA will learn from his mistakes, just like his older brother did, and play himself into the NFL just like BA.

I'm not suggesting I'm going to be right and you wrong but as a fan you have an obligation to hope for the best for each player on the team.