Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall

Started by razorbackfaninar, February 19, 2018, 09:27:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I caught some of Wally Hall on the radio this morning.  There was a curious exchange.  They were talking about retiring jerseys, and Wally threw in an aside about Clyde Scott and Steve Little:   "You know they never asked Clyde Scott if they could un-retire his number for Steve Little, never once said anything to him about it, just went ahead and did it, Of course Steve was very dignified about it, but they never asked him at all." Now this could be my interpretation of Wally's tone, but it sounded to me like it wouldn't have been out of place if he had either prefaced it, or followed it with "Those Bastards".

A few minutes go by and a guy called in who said he had known Clyde Scott, who he called Scotty and Then Mr. Scott for the last 20 years and that Mr. Scott said that Frank came to him and said " Hey I've got this kicker and he want's your old number and would you care", and Clyde Scott said no, that it was fine, and that later Steve Little came to Clyde Scott and said I never demanded that they give me your number kind of apologetic and Mr. Scott Said it was no problem.     

Now these two stories are clearly different in both content and tone, So after being told by someone who apparently heard the story directly from Clyde Scott that the version he was telling was incorrect.  Wally doesn't say, oh well I guess I heard it wrong, or I guess I was told incorrectly, he just says " We heard two different stories, Imagine that", and carried on as if his story was still just as valid and correct as before.

Now this is a small thing, but I have noticed it a lot from Wally over the years. He really likes any little tidbit that makes the University and Frank in particular look bad, he likes to put in little asides about some kind of crappy behavior from the administration or whoever the AD at the U of A happens to be, and it's always in some unverifiable way like "everybody knew this is what happened but just didn't want to say", or "the unofficial story is...", " they way I heard it was...".   

I just wonder how many of these things over the years that were slanted just enough in a negative light that I have heard and believed without knowing the full story.   I'm curious just how much damage this negative slant has done as the Sports Editor for the one major statewide news paper left in the state. I don't need a homer to write articles, and I don't mind opinions either, but I find Wally difficult to take at face value any more, not just because of this one incident, but there have been a number of things like this that I have noticed over the years.   

Hawgey-Davidson

The answer to your question/inquiry lies in the name of his column.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Wally has never let facts get in the way of a bad story. 

pghawg1

Wally is Just being Wally-a JERK.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on February 19, 2018, 09:42:01 am
My problem though is that his column isn't titled "like I think it is". He puts forth this persona of someone who has behind the scenes information and isn't afraid to "spill the beans" on the University, but in my experience he runs with any coffee shop rumor that sounds negative.   

little pigee

Bobby Knight was Wally's source.  :)

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Torqued pork

Maybe it all goes back to Broyles being close to Orville and the Democrat always being the step-child when it came to Razorback sports.

Psychohog

I quit reading his drivel decades ago. Does he still refer to himself as "the Graybeard?"
Never smarten up a chump.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Psychohog on February 19, 2018, 10:51:52 am
I quit reading his drivel decades ago. Does he still refer to himself as "the Graybeard?"

I remember when Wally started referring to himself as "Graybeard" back in the early to mid-80s.  He was what, in his early 30s then?

This used to irritate a co-worker of mine and he called John Robert Starr and complained about it.  Starr replied that he didn't realize Wally was doing that because he didn't spend a lot of time reading Wally's column, lol.

HognitiveDissonance

Wally Hall is a petty individual. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to take shots, and throw in snide remarks everywhere.
This is just example #2,737,456

He's in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. I'm not a big follower, but any organization that admits someone like Wally has lost my respect.

It's always about himself and the media. Where do I get to sit at games, etc

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 19, 2018, 09:27:26 am
I caught some of Wally Hall on the radio this morning.  There was a curious exchange.  They were talking about retiring jerseys, and Wally threw in an aside about Clyde Scott and Steve Little:   "You know they never asked Clyde Scott if they could un-retire his number for Steve Little, never once said anything to him about it, just went ahead and did it, Of course Steve was very dignified about it, but they never asked him at all." Now this could be my interpretation of Wally's tone, but it sounded to me like it wouldn't have been out of place if he had either prefaced it, or followed it with "Those Bastards".

A few minutes go by and a guy called in who said he had known Clyde Scott, who he called Scotty and Then Mr. Scott for the last 20 years and that Mr. Scott said that Frank came to him and said " Hey I've got this kicker and he want's your old number and would you care", and Clyde Scott said no, that it was fine, and that later Steve Little came to Clyde Scott and said I never demanded that they give me your number kind of apologetic and Mr. Scott Said it was no problem.     

Now these two stories are clearly different in both content and tone, So after being told by someone who apparently heard the story directly from Clyde Scott that the version he was telling was incorrect.  Wally doesn't say, oh well I guess I heard it wrong, or I guess I was told incorrectly, he just says " We heard two different stories, Imagine that", and carried on as if his story was still just as valid and correct as before.

Now this is a small thing, but I have noticed it a lot from Wally over the years. He really likes any little tidbit that makes the University and Frank in particular look bad, he likes to put in little asides about some kind of crappy behavior from the administration or whoever the AD at the U of A happens to be, and it's always in some unverifiable way like "everybody knew this is what happened but just didn't want to say", or "the unofficial story is...", " they way I heard it was...".   

I just wonder how many of these things over the years that were slanted just enough in a negative light that I have heard and believed without knowing the full story.   I'm curious just how much damage this negative slant has done as the Sports Editor for the one major statewide news paper left in the state. I don't need a homer to write articles, and I don't mind opinions either, but I find Wally difficult to take at face value any more, not just because of this one incident, but there have been a number of things like this that I have noticed over the years.   
So, so typical of the gray bearded, wee one. Yep, ole mis/disinformation Wally strikes again. Wally's never been the first to hear anything in his life except the time he wasn't going to be starting or playing much during his vaunted glory days of "starring" on his junior high basketball team. And as far as his "sources", when it comes to "hot off the press" stories I'm convinced that rumors to the contrary that the "back in the day" equivalent to our own ARDEMGAZ "Like It Is" columnist-Baghdad Bob-is NOT gone; in fact, he's still feeding Wally the same line of manure.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 19, 2018, 11:10:21 am
Wally Hall is a petty individual. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to take shots, and throw in snide remarks everywhere.
This is just example #2,737,456

He's in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. I'm not a big follower, but any organization that admits someone like Wally has lost my respect.

It's always about himself and the media. Where do I get to sit at games, etc
Not only has Wally been admitted to the ASHOF, but if I recall correctly he's actually sat on its board ??? :o ::) The only possible way dear Wallace could have been even considered for such.

Hogarusa

February 19, 2018, 11:44:28 am #12 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:49:25 pm by Hogarusa
I dont know many people that would immediately change their version of a story simply b/c a complete stranger says it happened differently.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

JIHawg

Wally has always been in Orville Henry's shadow, and operates under the delusion that he can form and shape opinions regardless of facts as it was done back in the day.  Things are different now, with the internet and all.

Sports editors just don't have the influence they once had.  They went from being the only show in town to one of thousands.  That's hard for him to deal with.

tusksincolorado

I no nothing about this story between Mr. Scott/Steve Little/Frank Broyles/Wally Hall. But I grew up 2 houses down from Mr. and Mrs. Scott and I know one thing. The Scott's were the kindest, sweetest, nicest,
friendliest, dearest, humble neighbors my parents knew the 10 years I lived there, and the 20 years after.

Mr. Scott would had been proud for a player to wear his number as long as that player represented The University of Arkansas with pride and dignity. 

Hall....not so much.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 19, 2018, 09:47:06 am
Wally is Just being Wally-a JERK.
It stems from his terminal case of short man syndrome.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 19, 2018, 11:55:42 am
I no nothing about this story between Mr. Scott/Steve Little/Frank Broyles/Wally Hall. But I grew up 2 houses down from Mr. and Mrs. Scott and I know one thing. The Scott's were the kindest, sweetest, nicest,
friendliest, dearest, humble neighbors my parents knew the 10 years I lived there, and the 20 years after.

Mr. Scott would had been proud for a player to wear his number as long as that player represented The University of Arkansas with pride and dignity. 

Hall....not so much.
tusk, Totally agree about Clyde. While I never had the privilege of meeting his wife, I worked with his son Steve and had an opportunity to work with CS. My experiences with the entire family were nothing but wonderful and enjoyable. IF Wally's going to spew his garbage he might want to at least get his facts straight. Otherwise rather than "honoring" the man, he actually does the opposite. Then again, why am I totally not surprised ??? :o

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 19, 2018, 09:43:34 am
Wally has never let facts get in the way of a bad story. 

This is genius! :)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jdlew

February 19, 2018, 12:38:16 pm #18 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:52:32 pm by jdlew
Even when he does try to take a shot at something or someone.....he does it in a back door cowardly way...Not a lot of knowledge and even less talent...

Rudy Baylor

In the old south, grudges are like gold. If you don't have one against somebody, you go find one. You mine for them.

Having your feelings hurt by someone, it's some kind of ace up your sleeve where you can heehaw about the offenders while on deer hunting trips (since they're not around to defend themselves), and complain about them over breakfast with the big dogs (bankers and car salesmen).

As for Wally, he is the curious mixture of a legit homer, but one with a chip forever on his shoulder, probably alternating between a slew of different offenders down through the years. He's basically been a propaganda extension of the SID's office for several decades, which is wrong of him to have done, and so the "favors" he's done the UA, well he expects to be treated like royalty for it. And God knows the list he's got hidden somewhere showing all the times he's gotten his feelings hurt by someone on the Hill.

Kind of like getting an old lady from Little Rock on the phone in the course of your business day who considers herself part of the old Little Rock establishment. They get nasty if they don't get their special privileges, and then they get even madder when they read between the lines and figure out NWA people (for instance), don't care about their special old pampered Little Rock establishment.

Wally is not unlike one of these old pissed off women.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on February 19, 2018, 02:37:21 pm

Kind of like getting an old lady from Little Rock on the phone in the course of your business day who considers herself part of the old Little Rock establishment. They get nasty if they don't get their special privileges, and then they get even madder when they read between the lines and figure out NWA people (for instance), don't care about their special old pampered Little Rock establishment.

Wally is not unlike one of these old pissed off women.

I think this sums Wallace up to a T. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

sowmonella

He once wrote a column that didn't have the words "yours truly " in it.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sowmonella on February 19, 2018, 03:15:29 pm
He once wrote a column that didn't have the words "yours truly " in it.
Hoped you saved it just to prove it actually happened.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 19, 2018, 11:44:28 am
I dont know many people that would immediately change their version of a story simply b/c a complete stranger says it happened differently.

I would agree with that if he had said "look I talked to Clyde Scott and he told me himself that no one ever asked him about it"  then you have two conflicting stories that have equal weight, but he's saying he basically heard something third hand and someone is calling in who at least seemed to know Mr. Scott directly who is telling him is information is wrong and I guess it struck me as odd that he wouldn't at least say, well I had heard differently, or I guess my info may have been wrong instead of, well you have a story and I have a story and they are both equally right. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 19, 2018, 11:44:28 am

was waiting for someone to point that out.

a bit of confirmation bias is afoot, it seems:)

you think the caller was russian?
The rest of the frog.

Buff

Ahhh, Wallace Hall.  The singular reason that I will not even look at the ADG.  On a good news day I might glance at the cover story, but that's it. 

elviscat

Wally who!! I never read him, he is the worst excuse for a sportswriter that i've ever read. I don't see how the man keeps his job.

Hawgphish

You lost me at Wally...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: elviscat on February 19, 2018, 04:04:15 pm
Wally who!! I never read him, he is the worst excuse for a sportswriter that i've ever read. I don't see how the man keeps his job.
Well you can generously call it a "job". I most certainly won't classify it as such.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: elviscat on February 19, 2018, 04:04:15 pm
Most of the media in Arkansas are fair and do a good job.

But the problem that I, and others, have about the media, generally speaking, is: they don't ever have to be right about anything.
Just to use an example, if Wally writes 10 columns, and 7 of them have an inaccurate statement, he is no danger of losing his job.
Why? Because he, and his bosses, can fall back on 'it's an opinion column, take it for what it's worth. It's designed to generate interest and debate'.

Meanwhile, the people being written about i.e. coaches, administrators, chancellors, presidents, etc...they HAVE to be right or they will lose their job. They have a won/loss record that requires them to be 'right' at an acceptable level. Contrast to Wally, who can spew any kind of rumor/innuendo/agenda/loose facts, and he will not be held accountable by his employer.

And THAT is the problem I have with certain media types like Wally Hall.

This is the main reason I could never hold a position in the public eye, like a coach. I could not tolerate that double standard. I have to be 'right' often, and people like that can play loose with the facts and get away with it. 'It's just my opinion'. And I can't do anything about the times when they are emphatically wrong. As they say, 'never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel'. It's completely a one-way street.

The counter-balance to that is that coaches such as the UA make tons of money, which I guess is supposed to make up for this, but still, I don't believe any amount of money would be worth it to me to put up with people like Wally Hall.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 19, 2018, 05:57:38 pm
Most of the media in Arkansas are fair and do a good job.

well, bye

texas tush hog

I know for a fact that Coach Broyles asked Clyde's permission to unretire his number for Steve Little. I think Clay Henry, if he would, could shed a light of truth on this. I bet Clyde's widow would as well. Wally is  defaming some peoples memory who are no longer with us and that is sad. I imagine Mike Irwin might have some thoughts on this subject.

Filthy_McSwine

He must have some serious dirt on Walter Hussman because I don't see how he has kept his job for as long as he has.  He's a hack.  And don't hold your breath waiting for him to ever admit he was wrong about anything.  I read far better commentary on any number of Arkansas sports boards.

oldfart

as i recall at the time it was known that broyles went to scott and got his permission

HoginIllinois

Quote from: oldfart on February 19, 2018, 08:30:24 pm
as i recall at the time it was known that broyles went to scott and got his permission

Same here.

LZH

I don't really have it in for Wally, but his routine is getting old.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on February 19, 2018, 08:40:18 pm
I don't really have it in for Wally, but his routine is getting old.
Well it got old about 1979 when ole Wally was stilled considered the "cub reporter" of the Democrat. Couldn't shine Orville Henry's slippers.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 19, 2018, 11:10:07 am
I remember when Wally started referring to himself as "Graybeard" back in the early to mid-80s.  He was what, in his early 30s then?

This used to irritate a co-worker of mine and he called John Robert Starr and complained about it.  Starr replied that he didn't realize Wally was doing that because he didn't spend a lot of time reading Wally's column, lol.
John Robert Starr was awesome.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Vantage 8 dude

Yeah, ole Wally "like it is" Hall. Instead of gray beard" "this reporter" or some such tripe I'd like Wallace to finally "tell like it is" and just headline his spiel "lies of an old fart".

pigture perfect

Eh, Wally is alright. I read worse.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hobhog

If you really want to get pissed, listen to him get interviewed by out of state people about Arkansas. He is always less than faltering and almost sounds embarrassed to be from here.

And BTW - he's not a sportswriter. He has an "opinion" piece.

ImHogginIt

A paper that has its editors continuously change the copy sportswriters turn in for publishing from the University of Arkansas to University of Arkansas-Fayetteville is nothing but fish wrap anyway  ;)

SooieGeneris

Quote from: little pigee on February 19, 2018, 10:19:24 am
Bobby Knight was Wally's source.  :)

Are you sure it wasn't the late Mickey Mantle? At least once a year, Wee Wally throws in his whine about Mantle dissing him in the Yankee's clubhouse in the 70s..

If there were archives of columns/articles in the 80s from the Old Democrat, Wee Wally and others would have some 'splaining to do. In 86-88, there were columns, cartoons, and editorials attacking Nolan in every section except the classifieds, often in very Steppin Fetchit ways.

In one column I recall, Wee Wally denied that there was such a thing as racism..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Sivad

Quote from: oldfart on February 19, 2018, 08:30:24 pm
Correct.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hobhog on February 20, 2018, 12:26:29 am
If you really want to get pissed, listen to him get interviewed by out of state people about Arkansas. He is always less than faltering and almost sounds embarrassed to be from here.

And BTW - he's not a sportswriter. He has an "opinion" piece.
And a whole boat load of hot air and b.s..

sowmonella

Refers to himself as "your trusty scribe" every few weeks. What a hack.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

liljo

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 20, 2018, 01:03:03 am
A paper that has its editors continuously change the copy sportswriters turn in for publishing from the University of Arkansas to University of Arkansas-Fayetteville is nothing but fish wrap anyway  ;)

...one of several reasons I stopped buying the ADG. Every few months, though, they attempt to call me, trying to get me to re-subscribe. I grew up on Orville Henry and the Arkansas Gazette. Yes, Orville was a true old-school "homer" but I loved his feature articles on players and coaches, and his historical references. Being a "homer" my own self, it was all good with me.

I believe some people, away from home, would through the whole state under the bus to make themselves look more "intelligent." I don't know Mr. Hall personally, but I don't have to use much imagination to "see" him doing just that.

They can keep their entire newspaper, as far as I'm concerned.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

The NewEra

I've come to the conclusion that the reason so many writers voice their hatred for social media is because there was a time they could say or write something without being held accountable.  There are some who make a living off writing articles or making statements for the sole purpose of stirring something up and generating chatter about themselves.  In today's world, someone is going to call you out and if your statements aren't factual you're going to be made a fool of in public.  There was a time when the reader or listener couldn't challenge them, but the megaphone for them isn't quite as big as it use to be.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The NewEra on February 20, 2018, 09:37:17 am
I've come to the conclusion that the reason so many writers voice their hatred for social media is because there was a time they could say or write something without being held accountable.  There are some who make a living off writing articles or making statements for the sole purpose of stirring something up and generating chatter about themselves.  In today's world, someone is going to call you out and if your statements aren't factual you're going to be made a fool of in public.  There was a time when the reader or listener couldn't challenge them, but the megaphone for them isn't quite as big as it use to be.
Well for anyone who's followed him for more than five minutes knows Wally has truly perfected the fine art of making a fool of himself.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on February 19, 2018, 09:42:01 am

I trust Frank and Steve Little may they rest in peace over Wally Hall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.