Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well guys

Started by AHiD, February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: oldhawg on February 21, 2018, 02:31:41 pm
Would not surprise me if Nutt is a little envious that he got only five million out of Arkansas compared to Bielema's twelve million.  The golden goose has certainly been generous with those two.
TV gig....will live in South Florida...then move on to the right NFL job.   College job still a possibility in the Big10.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 02:36:17 pm
I see your point, but I cannot help but elude to the fact that NO ONE at Arkansas has recruited the defensive side of the ball as well as this guy did in Year 1...

????? 9 3 stars is the best ever? The only 4 star in this defensive class was Bumper Pool, a CBB committ. In 2016, Bielima signed 1 5 Star, 2 4 stars and 9 3 stars.  Love the optimism, but you might wanna pump the brakes.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 21, 2018, 02:46:05 pm
????? 9 3 stars is the best ever? The only 4 star in this defensive class was Bumper Pool, a CBB committ. In 2016, Bielima signed 1 5 Star, 2 4 stars and 9 3 stars.  Love the optimism, but you might wanna pump the brakes.
Don't be caught star gazing my friend... Those 3 *'s your poo pooing are bad asses... Go look at film and their offer lists. I have, and if you're not impressed you will be. Also there was some mention to the player rating for the defensive players in this class, and from what I can remember Bret signed 11 in his 5 years ranked as high as 6 that CCM signed in this past class...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jabberjawls

Be careful, you will be attacked for presenting facts.  Go get him V8D, i know you don't have anything else to do.

Vantage 8 dude

February 21, 2018, 04:52:03 pm #204 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:49:07 am by Vantage 8 dude
Like so many others I believe you're missing the point. It ain't ALWAYS about the stars. Yes, high ratings help, however, I believe the point is that AT NO TIME in my long (50+ year) recollection can I remember a NEW coach spending over 1/2 his "selections" on the defensive side of the ball. Not saying it's never happened, however, I just don't recall such.

My personal opinion when the HC hire was first announced the most critical single hire Morris could make right out of the gate would be who he hired as DC. While I think that, duh, Venables would have been the totally dream hire for the position, I realized that WASN'T realistic. So we had to "settle" (tongue-in-cheek) for the Chief. It follows that once we got that position filled, along with all the others on staff, we were obviously going to have to go get the players, especially on that of that side of the ball. So just like all the hires involved I prefer to sit back and actually see what type defense we can field next year. If they're aggressive, fundamentally sound, and play hard the ENTIRE game I can most certainly view that as a very good first step toward rebuilding an area that has been a weakness for the most part.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 21, 2018, 03:16:44 pm
Be careful, you will be attacked for presenting facts.  Go get him V8D, i know you don't have anything else to do.
No, not attacking the "facts" or recruiting results. However, also doesn't mean I have to necessarily accept his viewpoint as the gospel or on face value. So he has an opinion-fine, that's what this site is in part designed to achieve. However, once you present a viewpoint then don't be surprised if you're challenged. But in doing so at least have the gonads to admit that your viewpoints (despite as you proclaim) are done so based solely on any particular relevant "research"; and sure don't sit there and try to feed folks a line that somehow your "facts" and attitudes aren't tinged with prejudice and preconceptions. As we all know by now you're made it long and clear that you've already proclaimed that CMM and the staff were DOA as soon they were hired because: A. Chad was NOT one of your two choices for HC and B. Based on his record at SMU you've already extrapolated that he can't possibly succeed here (although there have been numerous examples of other HC's at other programs that prove you wrong). However, IMO I suspect the MOST insulting thing for many of us here is that you cover your rear with a "Oh yeah, I really do hope the Hogs do well and CMM succeeds" while still proclaiming that anyone who presents facts that oppose your own are "liars.... sort of like politicians", etc.

Come on: even YOU can do better than that. On second thought, it's likely you truly can't.....sad, pitiful, weak.

jabberjawls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 21, 2018, 05:08:37 pm
No, not attacking the "facts" or recruiting results. However, also doesn't mean I have to necessarily accept his viewpoint as the gospel or on face value. So he has an opinion-fine, that's what this site is in part designed to achieve. However, once you present a viewpoint then don't be surprised if you're challenged. But in doing so at least have the gonads to admit that your viewpoints (despite as you proclaim) are done so based solely on any particular relevant "research"; and sure don't sit there and try to feed folks a line that somehow your "facts" and attitudes aren't tinged with prejudice and preconceptions. As we all know by now you're made it long and clear that you've already proclaimed that CMM and the staff were DOA as soon they were hired because: A. Chad was NOT one of your two choices for HC and B. Based on his record at SMU you've already extrapolated that he can't possibly succeed here (although there have been numerous examples of other HC's at other programs that prove you wrong). However, IMO I suspect the MOST insulting thing for many of us here is that you cover your rear with a "Oh yeah, I really do hope the Hogs do well and CMM succeeds" while still proclaiming that anyone who presents facts that oppose your own are "liars.... sort of like politicians", etc.

Come on: even YOU can do better than that. On second thought, it's likely you truly can't.....sad, pitiful, weak.
3...2...1...BOOM there it is.

Al Boarland

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 03:09:54 pm
Don't be caught star gazing my friend... Those 3 *'s your poo pooing are bad asses... Go look at film and their offer lists. I have, and if you're not impressed you will be. Also there was some mention to the player rating for the defensive players in this class, and from what I can remember Bret signed 11 in his 5 years ranked as high as 6 that CCM signed in this past class...

Star gazing is a much better measure of a class than amature film eval.

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 21, 2018, 05:55:08 pm

Boing.....

liljo

February 21, 2018, 09:22:42 pm #209 Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:38:05 pm by liljo
I think I will just trust that these coaches are the ones who do the best evaluation. As far as "measuring the quality of a class", the "stars" won't do it. That will be done by these young men who are now Arkansas Razorbacks. They will be measured by their efforts in training. They will be measured by their ability to be coached. They will be measured by their level of play on the field.

Being measured by amateur posters on an Internet forum before even being given a chance is unfair, disrespectful, disgusting, and petty. Those of you who engage in such behavior should be ashamed.

Any of you young people up on the Hill busting your tails to improve this team, know this. There are a whole lot of people around this state that believe in you. Go Hogs.

Boar up.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Al Boarland

Quote from: liljo on February 21, 2018, 09:22:42 pm
I think I will just trust that these coaches are the ones who do the best evaluation. As far as "measuring the quality of a class", the "stars" won't do it. That will be done by these young men who are now Arkansas Razorbacks. They will be measured by their efforts in training. They will be measured by their ability to be coached. They will be measured by their level of play on the field.

Being measured by amateur posters on an Internet forum before even being given a chance is unfair, disrespectful, disgusting, and petty. Those of you who engage in such behavior should be ashamed.

Any of you young people up on the Hill busting your tails to improve this team, know this. There are a whole lot of people around this state that believe in you. Go Hogs.

Boar up.

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 21, 2018, 05:51:40 pm
There what is..? A well thought out rebuttal to bull darn. Yep! There it is...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You must be a tortured soul... Do you really expect that your favorite team will always suck?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 21, 2018, 05:51:40 pm
WTH ??? ::)  I honestly didn't think you could get goofier; obviously I was wrong. Sad. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Thank you Jabberjawls and Al Boarland for getting this thread to 5 pages. Don't give up now... You have so much more fail to accomplish.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: GuvHog on February 21, 2018, 12:44:11 pm
To be honest, Chad Morris wasn't my #1 pick for the job and I didn't like the hire at all when it was announced (I was a strong Norvell guy), but after listening to Morris speak at the Presser and in interviews, listening to him talk to the players, and after seeing who he hired on his staff, I've mellowed a bit and decided to give him the benefit of a doubt. I like what I see thus far.

And neither was he mine. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I just get the feeling we are being sold a mule at the horse auction.

He reminds me too much of Nutt, I guess. He's a talker and a "Rah Rah" guy. Im sick of "Rah Rah." I want results. If he proves it, then fantastic. But for now, hes just another "Rah Rah" guy that has little accolades as a head coach at the D1 level.

Does that mean he wont be successful? No. But why should I be required as a fan to be excited about that? I just don't get the optimism I guess. If we had gotten Kiffin, Norvell, Brohm, or any accomplished coach I could see it. Just don't see it right now.

Time will tell

Al Boarland

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 10:25:11 pm
You must be a tortured soul... Do you really expect that your favorite team will always suck?

I don't think we will suck. I think we ended up with a pretty good coach.

wildhogman

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 22, 2018, 01:23:11 am
And neither was he mine. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I just get the feeling we are being sold a mule at the horse auction.

He reminds me too much of Nutt, I guess. He's a talker and a "Rah Rah" guy. Im sick of "Rah Rah." I want results. If he proves it, then fantastic. But for now, hes just another "Rah Rah" guy that has little accolades as a head coach at the D1 level.

Does that mean he wont be successful? No. But why should I be required as a fan to be excited about that? I just don't get the optimism I guess. If we had gotten Kiffin, Norvell, Brohm, or any accomplished coach I could see it. Just don't see it right now.

Time will tell
accomplished coach? Tell me how exactly Norvel is any more accomplished then CCM?  TWO years as HC of a team that is basically using another coaches recruits. Lets see how he does this year and next before we proclaim him accomplished at anything.

I was kind of shocked when I read Kiffin's history.  The only thing I really remember about him prior to his Bama stint, is causing the students to riot at Tenn when he "quit" on them after one year. I do remember him accusing Urban (heart palpitation) Meyers of violating NCAA recruiting rules. Which of course was false, and Kiffin was forced to apologize for.  (but lends to the question does he even know the rules of recruiting) I was again shocked to learn he didn't even survive his last season at USC and that Ed O took that team finishing the year 6-2. That's quite an accomplishment for Kiffin. I can see where you would prefer him over CCM.

Brohm. seemed to also be all over the map. Some good, and some not so good. The fact he stayed put at purdue is either impressive or a sign from the PTB around college football, that they want to see more complete and polished "accomplishments". 

Then you have CCM.  Helped resurrect Clemson football and save Dabo from being fired. (if the rumors  here on hogville are to be believed) Gave Clemson a blue print for the offense they apparently still use. (again according to hogville rumors).  Became HC of a school that its former HC quit on before the season was over. (wonder what made him do that since SMU must be a great place because according to people like you CCM as coach there should have done better then he managed to do). Since he took over as HC CCM manage to improve their record every year and gave them a bowl game in his last year there.

I could write a lot more, but this should be enough.   Seems to me some people only want the most controversial figure as coach. I wonder why that is

wildhogman

Yes I am sure in the movie "blindside" they portrayed Sabin perfectly.  Remember when the recruiting guru laughed about sabin wanting his phil steele top 100 or 300 or whatever it was over nighted?  Yeah I am sure Sabin and all college coaches sweat bullets waiting on these "guru's" to tell them who the best players in America are.  yep, yep. Positive.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 22, 2018, 03:42:39 am
I don't think we will suck. I think we ended up with a pretty good coach.
But we'll never win...

nchogg

I agree that we do not know the result from our recruiting class. Yes Coach looked at the needs from a team perspective. Thirty years ago I would go with a friend and buy horses that were pasture raised. Some were in poor condition but we looked through that and looked at what they could become with proper feeding and training. Majority of the time they were winners. You can't judge a book by it's cover and you look at potential not stars. Over the years you see so many high ranked stars that don't make it in college because the is different and they liked the attention they got in HS. I would bet these 3 star recruits are very hungry and will show they deserve their chance on the field. I want to see a team that is ready to play and don't need 4 or 5 games just to get things together. Just my opinion like many others have.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: liljo on February 21, 2018, 09:22:42 pm

Boar up.

I have high hopes that Morris will be very successful here. I don't think that any of us can be completely certain of that happening, but the odds are probably better than 50-50. That said, we will see. I hope that he and his staff and the kids on the team excel.

What I will say is that if we want to increase the odds of our sustained success, those odds would be greatly increased if Morris can so improve recruiting that we can land one to two 5 star players each year along with seven to nine 4 stars and then fill out each class with quality 3 star players. Do that and it will put more talent on campus than we have had in a long time. You can be a good coach on either side of the ball if you can scheme very effectively with average players. You can be a great coach (in terms of wins) if you can couple your very effective scheming with improved talent.

This isn't just about Morris' ability to coach, this is going to be about his ability to recruit at a higher level if he hopes to be more than a 7-8-9 win coach on average during his time on the hill. First comes the effort, then comes the results. So far, this staff gets an "A" for effort. The rest of the story is yet to be written.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: wildhogman on February 22, 2018, 05:17:18 am
Yes I am sure in the movie "blindside" they portrayed Sabin perfectly.  Remember when the recruiting guru laughed about sabin wanting his phil steele top 100 or 300 or whatever it was over nighted?  Yeah I am sure Sabin and all college coaches sweat bullets waiting on these "guru's" to tell them who the best players in America are.  yep, yep. Positive.

It just so happens that their classes rank high and they enjoy a lot of success. Probably no correlation at all.

liljo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 22, 2018, 06:21:16 am
I have high hopes that Morris will be very successful here. I don't think that any of us can be completely certain of that happening, but the odds are probably better than 50-50. That said, we will see. I hope that he and his staff and the kids on the team excel.

What I will say is that if we want to increase the odds of our sustained success, those odds would be greatly increased if Morris can so improve recruiting that we can land one to two 5 star players each year along with seven to nine 4 stars and then fill out each class with quality 3 star players. Do that and it will put more talent on campus than we have had in a long time. You can be a good coach on either side of the ball if you can scheme very effectively with average players. You can be a great coach (in terms of wins) if you can couple your very effective scheming with improved talent.

This isn't just about Morris' ability to coach, this is going to be about his ability to recruit at a higher level if he hopes to be more than a 7-8-9 win coach on average during his time on the hill. First comes the effort, then comes the results. So far, this staff gets an "A" for effort. The rest of the story is yet to be written.

Yes sir, I think you have a very reasonable outlook on this whole thing. It really comes down to continuously improving the overall talent level, and that is done in two primary ways: recruiting (obviously) and developing. Give me a well-coached, well developed Redshirt Sophomore that came out of high school rated as a 3*. Let's line him up against that true freshman 5* and just see what happens. What would REALLY be fun is to turn that RSSoph lose on a high school field, without telling anyone.

I bet his ratings would skyrocket. Now, obviously the more developed the player is right out of high school, applying the same training and developing at the collegiate level is going to very often yield those All-SEC types earlier in their careers. I don't think anyone here disputes this.

But the coaching staff, at any particular school, has so much more to look at than recruiting service ratings. They look at particular team needs. If you have a definite positional weakness, or position group weakness (Front Four, for example), but outstanding depth and quality at, say, TE, which is more beneficial to the team? Getting a 4* TE or signing a "High 3*" defensive tackle?

Look at how the staff, in the time allotted, addressed SPECIFIC areas that needed shored up. They attempted to raise the talent level in the areas they appear weakest. Give the coaches and players a chance. I don't know what the W-L records will or even should be, but I want to be pretty dang certain the 2018 team would have beaten the 2017 team; the 2019 team would beat the 2018 team; and so on. Each year, I expect the Razorbacks will field a better team than they did the previous season.

Continuous improvement is the reasonable thing to expect, even demand. That's how I see it.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 21, 2018, 04:52:03 pm
Like so many others I believe you're missing the point. It ain't ALWAYS about the stars. Yes, high ratings help, however, I believe the point is that AT NO TIME in my long (50+ year) recollection can I remember a NEW coach spending over 1/2 his "selections" on the defensive side of the ball. Not saying it's never happened, however, I just don't recall such.

So you are a better judge of talent from watching high school film that all of the recruiting services that make up the 247 composite.  While 247 is far from perfect, they are alot better than you watching Hudl.  Look I'm immpressed with Morris, but lets stop saying its the best class ever when the only 4 star in the group was landed by Bielema.,

cram224

"Can we all just get a long"

RME

oldhawg

Time will tell

Well, let's see ---- on one hand the Razorbacks have had Nutt, the ultimate "Rah Rah " coach who all but his most diehard supporters eventually came to see through and distrust.  On the other hand, the Razorbacks have also had the opposite of Nutt in Bielema, who so stoically watched from the sidelines that you sometimes wondered if he even realized that a football game was underway.

Personality and ability wise, let's hope that Morris is dynamic, but aware and successfully engaged in the process of putting together a solid football program.  He seems to be doing all the right things for the present, but I think that after one full year on the job, perceptive fans will have an idea whether he resembles Frank Broyles or Gerry Faust.

I, for one, will continue to be optimistic, and am looking forward to the coming season, both on the field and recruiting, with a great deal more interest than the last couple of seasons.  If he disappoints, I will deal with it later.
But to each (fan) his own.

HognotinMemphis

98% of fans are lemmings. They will always have "high hopes" with the hire of a new coach after firing the previous head coach due to a disastrous period, usually several consecutive poor seasons.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PorkFromOrk

Time will tell

Long time reader, first time poster.  Here's my take...what does it hurt to be optimistic?  He's the coach, and that won't change no matter how many fans don't like the hire.  The way I see it, life is full of disappointments and failures.  Does that mean we just throw in the towel and give up?  I've been a Hog fan for almost 40 years and I go into every season knowing that we are going to win it all.  I've stayed up all night during deployments just to catch a game on AFN, whether we were competitive or we sucked.  Yeah, it's hard when we are losing, but having hope doesn't hurt anyone.  Speaking from experience, negativity is much more damaging to yourself and others around you.

liljo

Quote from: PorkFromOrk on February 22, 2018, 10:12:54 am
Long time reader, first time poster.  Here's my take...what does it hurt to be optimistic?  He's the coach, and that won't change no matter how many fans don't like the hire.  The way I see it, life is full of disappointments and failures.  Does that mean we just throw in the towel and give up?  I've been a Hog fan for almost 40 years and I go into every season knowing that we are going to win it all.  I've stayed up all night during deployments just to catch a game on AFN, whether we were competitive or we sucked.  Yeah, it's hard when we are losing, but having hope doesn't hurt anyone.  Speaking from experience, negativity is much more damaging to yourself and others around you.

+1, and thank you for your service.

GO HOGS!

Shorttimer

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 22, 2018, 09:51:39 am
98% of fans are lemmings. They will always have "high hopes" with the hire of a new coach after firing the previous head coach due to a disastrous period, usually several consecutive poor seasons.

Having high hopes makes me a lemming?  That's an interesting inference--that I could only have high hopes because I was told to do so, or that any rational, free-thinking person would come to the conclusion there should be little hope for the upcoming season.

That's a curmudgeonly take, even for the dean of Hogville curmudgeons.

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on February 22, 2018, 05:08:53 am
accomplished coach? Tell me how exactly Norvel is any more accomplished then CCM?  TWO years as HC of a team that is basically using another coaches recruits. Lets see how he does this year and next before we proclaim him accomplished at anything.

I was kind of shocked when I read Kiffin's history.  The only thing I really remember about him prior to his Bama stint, is causing the students to riot at Tenn when he "quit" on them after one year. I do remember him accusing Urban (heart palpitation) Meyers of violating NCAA recruiting rules. Which of course was false, and Kiffin was forced to apologize for.  (but lends to the question does he even know the rules of recruiting) I was again shocked to learn he didn't even survive his last season at USC and that Ed O took that team finishing the year 6-2. That's quite an accomplishment for Kiffin. I can see where you would prefer him over CCM.

Brohm. seemed to also be all over the map. Some good, and some not so good. The fact he stayed put at purdue is either impressive or a sign from the PTB around college football, that they want to see more complete and polished "accomplishments". 

Then you have CCM.  Helped resurrect Clemson football and save Dabo from being fired. (if the rumors  here on hogville are to be believed) Gave Clemson a blue print for the offense they apparently still use. (again according to hogville rumors).  Became HC of a school that its former HC quit on before the season was over. (wonder what made him do that since SMU must be a great place because according to people like you CCM as coach there should have done better then he managed to do). Since he took over as HC CCM manage to improve their record every year and gave them a bowl game in his last year there.

I could write a lot more, but this should be enough.   Seems to me some people only want the most controversial figure as coach. I wonder why that is

If you are going to discuss Mike Norvell intelligently, you need to do more research. The majority of the starters for the Memphis Tigers this past season were Norvell's recruits. In addition, the previous coach was taught his offense in it's entirety by Mike Norvell. Norvell's Memphis tiger offense scored more points against Scott Frost's UCF team in the American Conference title game than any other American Conference team scored on them last season.

I very much like Chad Morris but it isn't necessary to demean Norvell to make Morris look better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LZH

oldhawg

February 22, 2018, 01:15:00 pm #234 Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:29:56 pm by oldhawg

Well, as I said, "To each his own."  I attribute much of my personal success to a positive, optimistic approach to problem solving and and hard work.. In the case of who Arkansas hires as a football coach, I have no control over that nor can I influence his accomplishments.  However I can maintain a positive forward looking attitude, and deal with adversity or disappointment at the appropriate time instead of dwelling on the failures of the past. 

Not sure how this attitude would make me a lemming or a pollyanna?   Actually it just makes me successful and happy.  But as I said, "To each his own." I can easily live with that.   

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Shorttimer on February 22, 2018, 10:28:47 am
Having high hopes makes me a lemming?  That's an interesting inference--that I could only have high hopes because I was told to do so, or that any rational, free-thinking person would come to the conclusion there should be little hope for the upcoming season.

That's a curmudgeonly take, even for the dean of Hogville curmudgeons.
If you were free-thinking, you would know that it is going to be an uphill battle at best for Morris and gang, given what was left to them and the tough opponents in the SEC. None of the other teams are sitting still while Ark attempts to improve. We can't beat A&M and they just brought in a head coach who had a recent NC under his belt. High hopes at this point means you are a lemming.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: oldhawg on February 22, 2018, 01:15:00 pm
Well, as I said, "To each his own."  I attribute much of my personal success to a positive, optimistic approach to problem solving and and hard work.. In the case of who Arkansas hires as a football coach, I have no control over that nor can I influence his accomplishments.  However I can maintain a positive forward looking attitude, and deal with adversity or disappointment at the appropriate time instead of dwelling on the failures of the past. 

Not sure how this attitude would make me a lemming or a pollyanna?   Actually it just makes me successful and happy.  But as I said, "To each his own." I can easily live with that.
You are setting yourself up for disappointment with that attitude. Separate yourself from reality and it will lead to disappointment. When you are realistic about things, especially things you have zero control over, you will remain content. Life lesson over.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 22, 2018, 09:06:43 am
So you are a better judge of talent from watching high school film that all of the recruiting services that make up the 247 composite.  While 247 is far from perfect, they are alot better than you watching Hudl.  Look I'm immpressed with Morris, but lets stop saying its the best class ever when the only 4 star in the group was landed by Bielema.,
Tell me exactly where I said or even hinted that I'm better judge of talent than the various rating services? And if you do I'll repeat what my best "bud" jabberjawls constantly cries "liar, liar, pants of fire". IF you went back and reread and think carefully through what I DID say is that it's been a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG time since I've seen a first year U of A coach, especially one with a restricted number of scholarships to hand out, spend as much obvious attention and effort on the defensive side of the ball. IMO the major significance of that effort is based on the fact that according to most on here given Morris' background it's unlikely it will be on the offensive side that will be most challenged starting out his first year.

Secondly, I've NEVER EVER disputed the fact that all things being equal having top talent is better than not...duh. However, what I DO firmly believe is that being able to effectively DEVELOP the talent you DO have can certain help close some of the talent gap one might have on a squad. And that's particularly critical because we don't have the highly rated classes of many of our SEC brethren. One other fact: I never said (or even hinted) this is the best class ever from a talent standpoint. So please do get your facts straight before trying to put words in my mouth.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 22, 2018, 01:48:56 pm
If you were free-thinking, you would know that it is going to be an uphill battle at best for Morris and gang, given what was left to them and the tough opponents in the SEC. None of the other teams are sitting still while Ark attempts to improve. We can't beat A&M and they just brought in a head coach who had a recent NC under his belt. High hopes at this point means you are a lemming.
Sorry, but his high hopes in no way, shape or form makes him (in your words) a lemming. It merely makes him optimistic and obviously at odd with your viewpoint, which by the way, is by no means sacred.

wildhogman

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 22, 2018, 07:50:18 am
It just so happens that their classes rank high and they enjoy a lot of success. Probably no correlation at all.
So your saying sabin doesn't offer a school until Phil calls him to tell him its ok, the kid really is a 5 star?  Hilarious

wildhogman

And the other 2% our just lemons. Sour bitter things that make your entire body pucker when they speak

oldhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 22, 2018, 01:50:48 pm
You are setting yourself up for disappointment with that attitude. Separate yourself from reality and it will lead to disappointment. When you are realistic about things, especially things you have zero control over, you will remain content. Life lesson over.

The thing is, football is not the center of my life.  I spend some discretionary funds on it for entertainment.  I encourage and laud those who choose to participate and give their best effort. I particularly enjoy successes by the Service Academies (USNA is my son's alma mater), TCU (daughter's alma mater), and Arkansas (fan since childhood), but if I choose not to be disappointed until there is reason to be disappointed, how am I setting myself up for anything?

My guess is that you have some allegiance to SMU and have hopes that they will have a successful football program again some day.  Is that setting yourself up for disappointment? I would not think so.  Rather it's just showing an allegiance to your son's (daughter's?) alma mater, and wanting them to be relevant on the college football scene once again.  I also suspect that deep down you want the Razorbacks to be relevant again, and would jump on the band wagon if it happens, but perhaps that's taking it too far :)

In any event, being optimistic does not automatically translate to disappointment ---- depends upon how you handle the disappointment and yourself.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 22, 2018, 01:50:48 pm
I must ask Dr. Freud, or would that be Dr. Phil, how does one determine what's realistic or not, what is possible or not when considering one's outlook on the FUTURE ??? I mean do you have some crystal ball or Nostradamus-like power to predict future events with unerring accuracy? And how is having a positive attitude necessarily a bad thing? Because those particular hopes and dreams might not turn out ??? Well guess what professor, negative thoughts and attitudes might not turn out to be true either; it's called the vagaries of life. So whether a person wants to be more upbeat and positive or down right negative, they both have the same god-given right to determine how they look at things. And as to whether or not someone might or might not be disappointed with how things unfold, that's their choice; they know there's always that  possibility going in.

Apparently you and I DO agree on one thing however. . It does no good to worry about things over which one has zero control. All that does is shorten life and/or age you faster. For me both issues are approaching too fast as is.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 22, 2018, 09:30:27 am
A long what  ???
Careful now. Even though this is HV we still have err.....family standards.  ;) :D 8)

oldhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2018, 03:02:22 pm
Careful now. Even though this is HV we still have err.....family standards.  ;) :D 8)

Well, I don't know.  Recently someone on OmaHogs, in discussing the dismissal (resignation) of the Mississippi State coach, said that morality issues are irrelevant and what happens between consenting adults is their business.

Isn't that what Bobby Petrino also said?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: oldhawg on February 22, 2018, 03:16:45 pm
Well, I don't know.  Recently someone on OmaHogs, in discussing the dismissal (resignation) of the Mississippi State coach, said that morality issues are irrelevant and what happens between consenting adults is their business.

Isn't that what Bobby Petrino also said?
Perhaps. Then again, at HV it's common and sacred truth that high quality adult entertainment IS available. :) ;) ;D

oldhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2018, 03:43:47 pm
Perhaps. Then again, at HV it's common and sacred truth that high quality adult entertainment IS available. :) ;) ;D

Yes. I've been there.  :)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 22, 2018, 01:48:56 pm

That's a ridiculous and incorrect assumption to make about fans. Hoping for better than we have seen doesn't make anyone a "lemming". It is merely "hope" that we do better and there isn't anything wrong with having hope.

Now if someone said that there isn't any doubt that we are going to be vastly improved and contend for the SECCG next season and over 50% of the board agreed without doing their own research and merely fell in line behind the superlative opinion, they might be considered to be "lemmings". I see very, very few doing that on this board.

A better explanation of being a "lemming" according to the Urban Dictionary is as follows:

"A derogatory term used to reference a person who seemingly does not possess any form of individual thought, and instead, mindlessly follows the behaviors and actions of the masses."

#lemming#copycat#mindless#childish#mimic

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lemming

The fact is, though there seem to be very few posters who feel the way that you do, by your standards, all of you who mimic one another could be considered to be "lemmings".

But we won't call you that because most of us have enough respect for one another than to attach such a negative identifier to your well considered, individual opinions, despite the fact that all of you with less "hope" for the future, sound eerily similar in your posts.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: wildhogman on February 22, 2018, 02:19:29 pm
So your saying sabin doesn't offer a school until Phil calls him to tell him its ok, the kid really is a 5 star?  Hilarious
No, I didn't say anything like that. I did say you have to recruit really well to have a really good season. If you don't the bar for your really good season is lower.

Also, the only fans that talk about star gazers are fans of programs that don't recruit well. Good players are highly rated because they are good players. Do analyst miss? Yes. Do coaches miss? Yes. The key is recruiting enough of them that your misses are minimized. When your class is filled with 3 stars it's not because our coach has a keen eye for talent. It's because he didn't land the higher rated guys and you have to fill your slots. Some 3 stars are taken because they are a good fit. Not a whole class of them.

liljo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 22, 2018, 05:54:17 pm
That's a ridiculous and incorrect assumption to make about fans. Hoping for better than we have seen doesn't make anyone a "lemming". It is merely "hope" that we do better and there isn't anything wrong with having hope.

Now if someone said that there isn't any doubt that we are going to be vastly improved and contend for the SECCG next season and over 50% of the board agreed without doing their own research and merely fell in line behind the superlative opinion, they might be considered to be "lemmings". I see very, very few doing that on this board.

A better explanation of being a "lemming" according to the Urban Dictionary is as follows:

"A derogatory term used to reference a person who seemingly does not possess any form of individual thought, and instead, mindlessly follows the behaviors and actions of the masses."

#lemming#copycat#mindless#childish#mimic

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lemming

The fact is, though there seem to be very few posters who feel the way that you do, by your standards, all of you who mimic one another could be considered to be "lemmings".

But we won't call you that because most of us have enough respect for one another than to attach such a negative identifier to your well considered, individual opinions, despite the fact that all of you with less "hope" for the future, sound eerily similar in your posts.

Well put. And +1.

But it won't matter to HoginMemphis. I am pretty sure he doesn't even root for Arkansas. This is just where he comes to left off steam in a safe environment where he won't face any real repercussions. Maybe he got picked on a lot as a kid.

Consider this: If every person on Hogville posted the way he posts, and every prospect read it, would any kid not born a die-hard Hog fan consider coming here? Of course not. This guy probably roots for Memphis, or Tennessee, or (he'd fit right in), Auburn.