Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 07, 2016, 10:17:42 am
^^^^^

A buddy and I try to ride weekly on Sunday mornings at 6am.  Yeah, that's early, which is good in the summer but sucks in the colder times of the year.  We meet so early b/c it gives us ample time to ride 28 miles, eat breakfast w/ our families, get ready for and make it to church on time.  I'm an early riser but don't like being so cold that early in the morning.  But to Delta's point, once I'm out there and the body warms up a bit, I'm happy to be on the bike.

Ha I wrecked yesterday, ripping my hydration pack and one of my gloves, and skinning up my right knee, right elbow and bruising my right shoulder.

Guess what, I can't wait to get back out there this weekend!

And yes I ate paint chips as a kid... :P
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 07, 2016, 11:30:39 am
Ha I wrecked yesterday, ripping my hydration pack and one of my gloves, and skinning up my right knee, right elbow and bruising my right shoulder.

Thatta boy!  +1
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

porkbellys

is cycling good/bad for arthritic hips?
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Quote from: porkbellys on January 07, 2016, 05:38:40 pm
is cycling good/bad for arthritic hips?

from my understanding it could be good.

HawgPilot

Sweet bike!!  Mine just came in yesterday and am waiting on the wheels.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 08, 2016, 10:18:19 am

Looks awesome, and super light!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 07, 2016, 11:30:39 am

Prayers sent.  And Becareful out there.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 08, 2016, 10:18:19 am

You skinny bastage!

DeltaBoy

I ride an ole school Peugeot 10 speed from the late 1970's. I going to get a tube Sat morning and get that beast back on the road. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 08, 2016, 11:04:05 am

Thanks buddy and be careful indeed.

My brother broke his neck out riding with me a month ago. Fractured C7, bruised ribs and shoulder. Luckily no permanent damage but he's gotta be in a neck brace for 8 weeks and will likely be off the bike til March.

We ride hard and we ride aggressive but he made a stupid mistake, riding over his head too soon, and it cost him so everybody yes please be careful, myself included.

HawgPilot

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 08, 2016, 11:04:05 am

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 08, 2016, 11:06:28 am
You skinny bastage!

Ha!  Thats a good friend of mine that I ride with.  Im 6'2 193 right now....

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 09, 2016, 10:30:55 am
Ha!  Thats a good friend of mine that I ride with.  Im 6'2 193 right now....

Ha, I've shed some pounds since I started riding in March 2014, but I'm still one of the bigger guys in our club. My next goal is 190, and hopefully to 180 (eventually). I like food too damn much.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 09, 2016, 11:27:01 am
Ha, I've shed some pounds since I started riding in March 2014, but I'm still one of the bigger guys in our club. My next goal is 190, and hopefully to 180 (eventually). I like food too damn much.

I'm tipping the scales at 210 these days riding a 30lb. 160mm "all mountain" bike and keeping up with 160lb. XC riders on carbon bikes sucks, well uphill at least.

Now downhill, yeah they can't even keep sight of me. :)

It's a compromise I'm happy to live with though because I live for the downhills!

HawgPilot

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 09, 2016, 01:09:06 pm
I'm tipping the scales at 210 these days riding a 30lb. 160mm "all mountain" bike and keeping up with 160lb. XC riders on carbon bikes sucks, well uphill at least.

Now downhill, yeah they can't even keep sight of me. :)

It's a compromise I'm happy to live with though because I live for the downhills!

Dude you are beast mode!!  I just got into cycling last June, I've been a runner since 1994.  I thought i could easily transition into cycling, BUT not!!

Keep it up!  Im running in the New Orleans 1/2 marathon February 28 with a goal of 1:40:00.  Running is my strength and considering my first half iron man in October.  Still have time to decide.  Will post my run on Friday next.  I had hernia surgery Dec. 18th so this was my first "hard" run.

HawgPilot

I pressed pretty good and feeling it today.  Running 7 in the morning, although its supposed to be 22 degrees here. ::)

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 09, 2016, 06:23:11 pm
Dude you are beast mode!!  I just got into cycling last June, I've been a runner since 1994.  I thought i could easily transition into cycling, BUT not!!

Keep it up!  Im running in the New Orleans 1/2 marathon February 28 with a goal of 1:40:00.  Running is my strength and considering my first half iron man in October.  Still have time to decide.  Will post my run on Friday next.  I had hernia surgery Dec. 18th so this was my first "hard" run.

Thanks man but I should prob say "trying" to keep up with guys on XC carbon bikes.  :)

I don't ride with XC guys a lot since most of the stuff I enjoy is more downhill oriented but I will from time to time. It's pretty much an understanding that I'm not gonna beat them on the climb and they're not gonna beat me on the descent.

I don't mind climbing though it's just a different mentality. Most XC guys conserve a bit on the downs and murder it on the ups whereas I usually conserve a bit on the ups and drop the hammer on the descents. Just different strokes.

As far as running and biking yeah there's not a lot of crossover fitness wise. Of course they both develop aerobic capacity but I've found neither prepares my legs for the other so much. Riding shape to me is a different kind of shape than running or even gym shape at least that's been my experience.

That's a nice time on your run too. 7 mile pace over 3 miles is a good steady pace.

Good job and yeah it's freezing here too!

hawgrunner

Here are a few pic's from my 52 miler this morning.

HawgPilot

Frist day that I could cycle again after surgery.  It was windy here and got in 22 miles.  Looking forward to getting my legs back.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on January 15, 2016, 08:31:06 pm
Frist day that I could cycle again after surgery.  It was windy here and got in 22 miles.  Looking forward to getting my legs back.

Good news

hawgrunner

Did a short 24 today.

McKdaddy

Nice weekend of riding we just had at the end of January.  Shedding layers so fast it just messes you up.

Young Life cycling club in Tulsa will be having its annual cycling "training camp" in Fayetteville, Feb 26-28, staying at Mt Sequoyah Retreat & Conf Center.  I'm looking forward to it.  The only downside is the majority of the attendees are A-group speed cyclists; whereas, I'm a B-group cyclist, and not many other B-group'ers ever attend this training.

HawgPilot

Got my Christmas gift in today!  Looking forward to riding this weekend.

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on February 13, 2016, 10:12:03 am
Got my Christmas gift in today!  Looking forward to riding this weekend.

Sweet ride!

I've been putting in more miles as of late myself.

HawgPilot

Quote from: hawgrunner on February 13, 2016, 11:27:53 am

Sweet ride!

I've been putting in more miles as of late myself.

Thanks!  I rode 34 yesterday on it and I have to get used to the down position.

HawgPilot

I know this is a cycling thread but Im training for an Ironman 70.3 this year.  I raced in the Freezing' for a Reason and finished 3rd overall and 1st in my age group last weekend.  Ran a 6:28 5k.

HawgPilot

Can someone tell me how to post pics that are "upright"?

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on February 13, 2016, 05:57:42 pm
Can someone tell me how to post pics that are "upright"?

it's the way your holding your iPhone you have to turn it when taken the pic or save it to your pc, rotate it save it again, then upload.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on February 13, 2016, 05:56:43 pm
I know this is a cycling thread but Im training for an Ironman 70.3 this year.  I raced in the Freezing' for a Reason and finished 3rd overall and 1st in my age group last weekend.  Ran a 6:28 5k.

You did very well in the race. Congrats!!  And congrats on the new ride!

HawgPilot

Quote from: hawgrunner on February 13, 2016, 09:23:13 pm
it's the way your holding your iPhone you have to turn it when taken the pic or save it to your pc, rotate it save it again, then upload.

Thank you sir!

HawgPilot

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 14, 2016, 08:45:13 am
You did very well in the race. Congrats!!  And congrats on the new ride!

Thanks man!  Ran 11 this morning getting ready for Rock n Roll in 2 weeks.  Going down to Nola for 1/2 marathon.

hawgrunner

Got 62 miles in today... here are few shots from the road,

hawgrunner

hog.goblin

looks too damn hot other there for February.  give me snow!

McKdaddy

"Training camp" this weekend in Fay. I'll get more climbing in this weekend than in a month of riding in Tulsa. Yay??

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2016, 07:22:07 pm
"Training camp" this weekend in Fay. I'll get more climbing in this weekend than in a month of riding in Tulsa. Yay??

We have a few hills out here in our San Diego back roads.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2016, 07:22:07 pm

Really enjoying the rides in the Fay area. Good landscape with varied elevation to provide something for everyone on each ride.

McKdaddy

Everyone wants to come back to Fay next year for training camp. My Sequoyah served our needs well for this annual group outing of fellowship and riding, except the end of each ride, having to go up Maple, then Assembly, to get to our lodging at Mt Sequoyah. Assembly wasn't a bad finish, but the last part of Maple wasn't as kind.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 28, 2016, 02:10:07 pm
Everyone wants to come back to Fay next year for training camp. My Sequoyah served our needs well for this annual group outing of fellowship and riding, except the end of each ride, having to go up Maple, then Assembly, to get to our lodging at Mt Sequoyah. Assembly wasn't a bad finish, but the last part of Maple wasn't as kind.

Riding Mt. Sequoyah is rough on mountain bikes too.

The descent is super fun but the climb is a bear at times.

Flying Razorback

Has anyone here done a duathlon?  Run-bike-run? 

Anyone doing the Iron Pig Duathlon in Fayetteville at the end of March?  I'm getting back in to riding, thinking about doing it to see if I like the event and if it's something I'd like to pursue.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

HawgPilot

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 03, 2016, 06:55:01 pm
Has anyone here done a duathlon?  Run-bike-run? 

Anyone doing the Iron Pig Duathlon in Fayetteville at the end of March?  I'm getting back in to riding, thinking about doing it to see if I like the event and if it's something I'd like to pursue.

I haven't done a duathlon but have completed several Triathlons.  Love them, in fact I'm training for my first ironman 70.3 later this year.

Good luck!

DeltaBoy

Getting Tri focals and hitting the DR and Dentist during Spring break left me with no fix the bike money. 

Hogsmo Kramer

So it finally happened. Major crash!

Broke my collarbone smooth in half and had to get it platted with 8 screws in surgery. Looking at 12 weeks recovery.  :(

Anyone had this happen before?

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 18, 2016, 08:18:28 am

Broke my collarbone smooth in half and had to get it platted with 8 screws in surgery. Looking at 12 weeks recovery.  :(

It's not a matter of if but when for those of that haven't yet crashed, so I hate to hear of crashes to anyone (shudder).  God speed to your recovery, HK.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 18, 2016, 08:18:28 am

Go back to page two of this thread and you'll see my broken collarbone. it wasn't smooth either. I got a plate and 11 screws. I took the spill on April 25th and was back riding by May 30th... so about 5 1/2 weeks.
8)

Hogsmo Kramer

Just looked at it and that's almost exactly what mine looked like.

The doc called it a Z fracture with the bone broke in two overlapping and a fragment between them barely hanging on making it look like a Z. 

He said 12 weeks which seemed kind of lengthy to me but I mountain bike so he may be thinking about the jarring I'll encounter on the trails.

Hopefully I'll be back sooner because I'm already losing it sitting still.

Darren DeLoach

What are the best trainers (bikes) that you guy's have used? Recovering from a burst fascia, and longing to do some serious work. But can't do much that is explosive for quite a while, and running is done for atleast 3 months.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hawgrunner

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on May 19, 2016, 02:32:26 pm
What are the best trainers (bikes) that you guy's have used? Recovering from a burst fascia, and longing to do some serious work. But can't do much that is explosive for quite a while, and running is done for atleast 3 months.

you may need something like a recumbent bike.

McKdaddy

hawgrunner

Out for Sunday ride....