Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can arkansas win in the SEC gauntlet with the style of offensive play they use?

Started by Sweet Feet, September 14, 2014, 02:17:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

They did great in the past two games and should next week. However, can they do this for 8 weeks vs the SEC? I feel theres an injury risk for the RBs with the more bigger and physical teams. Then i think what happens when the run game gets shut down or if they are down later in the game. the run game would run down the clock, and the passing game isnt good at all. i think about how auburn changed the defensive scheme and shut arkansas run game down in the 2nd half. But who knows.

TheJoeyBucketz

To me the better question should be- with so many teams moving toward a variation of the spread does it give us an advantage running the offenses we run?

Offenses change and defenses adapt. It's happened throughout football history. There is nothing that an offense can do that the defense can't, given time, learn to control.

With the prevalence of the spread, D coordinators are spending more and more time prepping to defend it, which means less time prepping to defend our smash mouth style.

Doesn't it stand to reason that would give us an advantage going forward?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 14, 2014, 02:17:34 pm
They did great in the past two games and should next week. However, can they do this for 8 weeks vs the SEC? I feel theres an injury risk for the RBs with the more bigger and physical teams. Then i think what happens when the run game gets shut down or if they are down later in the game. the run game would run down the clock, and the passing game isnt good at all. i think about how auburn changed the defensive scheme and shut arkansas run game down in the 2nd half. But who knows.

Arkansas needs more downfield passing, more defense, and improvements in special teams and more depth everywhere.

That said, what we saw yesterday is the core of a program that can not only win in the SEC but win the SEC.

Smokehouse

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Gonzo

Can the Hogs just line up and run over most of the SEC like they did the last two weeks? Highly doubtful. Can they be a run first team with an adequate passing threat and be successful in the SEC?  BB's track record suggests that what he will try to do. We will see if he can do it successfully.  So far they seem to be moving in the right direction

Go Hogs! Beat N Illinois!

ricepig

popcornhog

Yes. Not this year -- primarily because of deficiencies in the back seven and passing game. But with improved talent in those areas, absolutely.
WPS

redeye

We'll have to throw the ball more, but I like that we're playing to our strengths first.  I know many think we need to throw it more for practice, but I think we need to gain confidence first.  We have a deadly running game and should use it to make sure we're in control, as much as possible.

31to6

With this style? Yes.

With this team? That remains to be seen.

The recipe is very simple:

Powerful rushing attack
Stubborn, sound defense
Mistake-free football
Reliable passing game
Deep passing threat in play action

So far we have the rushing attack. We did well avoiding crippling penalties, but we made too many unforced errors.

Our defense is too thin and inexperienced in the back 7 to be anything more than opportunistic. It is improved, but far from dominant.

Our passing game was reliable when we had to lean on it. Unfortunately our play action was horrible and we really weren't forced to pass enough to see if we can loosen up a team that has stopped our run game.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

secfan30

If more and more teams go with defenses that stop the spread, what happened yesterday could be a normal occurrence in the next few years.

rude1

Until we get a single SEC win doing this IMO it's a bit premature to proclaim this style as giving us an advantage.

31to6

Quote from: secfan30 on September 14, 2014, 03:23:13 pm
If more and more teams go with defenses that stop the spread, what happened yesterday could be a normal occurrence in the next few years.
It would be great to be the team that everyone hates to play.

That being said, most spread teams put so much emphasis on offense that their defense suffers.

Teams like Alabama, Auburn and LSU have the talent to be really good on both sides of the ball at whatever style they choose.

Mulberry Squeezins

Some of you guys need to stop forming opinions of football based on something some moron talking head says or believes.  I remember many so called experts saying we couldn't win using BP's style because we couldn't land the quality of skill players needed  for the hogs to compete in the SEC.

If an unproven idiot like Nutt can win in the SEC running the football, Bielema certainly can. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on September 14, 2014, 03:26:30 pm
Some of you guys need to stop forming opinions of football based on something an idiot talking head believes.  I remember people saying we couldn't win using BP's style because we wouldn't be able to recruit skill players with the enough talent to compete in the SEC.

If an unproven idiot like Nutt can win in the SEC running the football, Bielema certainly can.

This....

Could you imagine our 06 team with this OL?
This is my non-signature signature.

WBC Hog

Of course we can.

Bielema said it in the presser yesterday and we all know it, this is not last years team. This is a much improved team. We can pass it and we can run it.

After another confidence building game next weekend vs NIU, I'll be very anxious for SEC play.

razorbackkid

The short answer is yes.  The longer answer, and the answer you most likely want right now is still a yes, but it ain't gonna happen overnight or without some more work.

The plan, CBB's plan, is still in developmental stages.  We will, unfortunately, most likely see a few more tough losses before we see the better wins.

It's coming though, don't doubt it.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

bphi11ips

That's an original question. 

Yes.  Championship teams run the football, especially in the 4th quarter.  Bielema's philosophy plays to the strength of our recruiting base.  Once he builds the O-line he can sustain it, and there will be years when everything falls just right in the league. If it never does, who cares?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

I hate this sort of question.  Anyone that knows football knows that with a dominant running game, a serviceable passing game, and a good defenese you can win a lot of football games.  Conference be darned. 

We do play in the toughest division in college football but we won't be hindered because of our style of play. 

We will have elite offensive lines year in and year out.  Questions will always be defense and some years, QB and WR. 

Bielema will win here and I think he will win big.  I'd be willing to put money on the fact that I believe he will bring us our first SEC title.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Vantage 8 dude

We haven't really shown the pass because we haven't really needed the pass. With the exception of the second half against AWbarn when they finally did get enough of a lead where we really had to pass, the run has been very effective indeed. Are we going to evolve into a "throw it around at least 30 times a game team" not likely, at least in most cases. However, IF you're able to get the job done well with the major strength of your offense, which is running, then that's what you do. This does NOT mean you don't have talent/abilities to throw the ball in order to loosen up the defense when needed. I have all the confidence in the world against MOST teams we have sufficient talent to be able to do so.

Tomhog™

This style is exactly what can win in the SEC. We need just a bit more help in the passing game. I'm sure a QB that throws 30+ times per game develops a touch better than one that only passes 12 times. I hope as the season progresses that Brandon can develop a touch on the deep passes that have sailed a bit. That said, he made a lot of good decisions and kept is in a position to win.

sechog

In yesterday's game, yes we didnt throw it much but threw when needed. We threw some of them in the first half ton convert on third downs. This what you are going to see when we get a comfortable lead Beliema will run the ball and control the clock just like he did once we went up by two touchdowns in the second half. Why do anything different. I really believe we got talent on our receiving core and they will come up with big catches this year. SEC game will be much closer and will need those recievers.

nchogg

I don't see us just running the ball. Coach felt like we could. He wanted to get the running game established. See the passing come before T A&M. I think we will win some  sec games. Much of what we do in sec play will have to do with defense. Our defense was better than I've seen in a long time. Yes the secondary gave up a couple big plays yesterday but the defense also responded with pass breakups and interceptions. We also had many missed tackles. Coach will point every mistake out to both offense and defense. I just wish we would have gotten more pressure on their QB. That may not have been in the game plan. I liked the way BA managed the game. He made some good decisions. When he scrambled and was thinking of throwing the ball away and ran it into the endzone. I just want to see this team improve each game. Right now they are seeing the results of their hard work paying off. I won't put a number on wins this year but do feel we will go bowling this year. I am proud of this team. Go Hogs!

swinesation

I think it was our first drive (or second) where Brandon had a couple of key third down completions. That's encouraging. It was also encouraging that BA made good decisions on when to tuck and run. However, he was inaccurate on all of his passes down the field. The question is whether or not BA will ever master the pass down the field. We need a QB who can hit those passes consistently in order to be a good SEC offense.

So, what we need from our QB in order to be an excellent SEC offense:

1) Make good decisions, such as running when the opportunity is there. Check.
2) Complete third down passes to keep the chains moving. Check.
3) Hit on the deep play action passes that will be there a few times a game. Not there yet.

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

razorbackkid

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 14, 2014, 04:19:15 pm
This style is exactly what can win in the SEC. We need just a bit more help in the passing game. I'm sure a QB that throws 30+ times per game develops a touch better than one that only passes 12 times. I hope as the season progresses that Brandon can develop a touch on the deep passes that have sailed a bit. That said, he made a lot of good decisions and kept is in a position to win.

+1 to a Mod for being right, not because he's a Mod.  I ain't a brown noser....pass me that tissue Tom.  :)

Seriously....you are right on point.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

AFWarrior83

Well....we did hang with Auburn for a half. With enough talent and depth I think so. We're basically going to be like LSU soon. Rely on the running game and Defense. We prob won't have as much talent overall, but I think we can have a stronger o-line with Pittman and CBB.
Hogville member since 2005.

Mike_e

We haven't yet seen the whole playbook so who knows.

I would bet that we could though.

Combining the run game that we've seen so far along with some passing concepts that rival BP's which coach Chaney showed while at tenner will make us hard to stop.

We were told at the start of the year that it would take three years to install the playbook.  Years four and five look to be a lot of fun.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hoggish1

Actually, what happened at Auburn is, among other little things, was that the elevator was bugged and they listened in on our 2nd half plan. 

What do you think of that?

Hoggish1

About using a running like ours to win the SEC.  Yes, it is how you do it. 

If you think back to how BA missed 2 or 3 wide open receivers for touchdowns because he put too much arm into the throw, it's easy to understand that our style will open up PA bombs 3-5 times a game that will break an opponents back.

I knew that all we need to do vs TT was get a two score separation on them.  When it happened, they understood it was game over because teams like them are not going to get the ball back very quickly when we are running efficiently.  That's when panic sets in for HUNH teams.

Arkfan

I think it all depends on what you mean by win. If youre bigger, faster, stronger, and more talented than your opponent you usually will but the problem is thats not gonna be the case very often once SEC play starts.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

LJHOG

three hog night

Quote from: golf2day on September 14, 2014, 02:22:35 pm
To me the better question should be- with so many teams moving toward a variation of the spread does it give us an advantage running the offenses we run?

Offenses change and defenses adapt. It's happened throughout football history. There is nothing that an offense can do that the defense can't, given time, learn to control.

With the prevalence of the spread, D coordinators are spending more and more time prepping to defend it, which means less time prepping to defend our smash mouth style.

I agree completely.   We are the alternative...to the alternative.   The HUNH has become the establishment and their teams are built with smaller more athletic players.  The power/pro I requires big nasty athletic lineman, yet those will not be on HUNH teams so how do they practice against our style in practice?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

reddogjcss

BorderPatrol

Original thought. How in the world did ever think of this question?

bp

TX HOG

At wisc BB's teams were not one dimensional. Once the pieces are in place, we'll be a balanced offense.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: golf2day on September 14, 2014, 02:22:35 pm

It is like the military academy's using the triple option. It is very difficult to prepare for an offensive style that is faced only a few times a year. The military academy's are very difficult to prepare for, even with teams that have clearly superior talent.
The thing about what CBB is assembling here...very few other teams will be as physical. We will be more talented and physical after a few more recruiting class's.
After a bowl and the sales pitch of improvement that will follow our talent/recruiting level will continue to improve to fit our style/needs. Very physical, very fast and aggressive.
Saturday's game was a taste of things to come. Patience.

" GO HOGS "

DoctorSusscrofa

The gripes about the lack of passing seem to be missing the fact that even though we didn't pass much in this game, BA completed 6 of 12, there were 2 scrambles (for first down or score) that were apparently called passes, and we had at least 2 incomplete passes that were at least threats to pass downfield. We might not be a killer passing team, but we are improved slightly and I expect we'll see slightly more improvement as our newer receivers have more game experience.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Bacons Rebellion

With time, I think so.

As everyone moves toward the spread, defensive personnel will continue to gear toward stopping the spread -- as will ours, see Taiwan Johnson at nose guard. In practice, I believe it will be much easier for our scout team to simulate a spread, air raid, pass-happy up tempo offense than it will for an opponent to simulate 5 320 pound Pittman-trained offensive linemen recruited from the best across the country (see Wallace, Kirkland, Ragow). Come game day, that can be important.

MJ2

Before Saturday I said no.   Now I'm a little more convinced that we may win a game or 2 in the SEC.

three hog night

Quote from: TX HOG on September 14, 2014, 08:53:49 pm
At wisc BB's teams were not one dimensional. Once the pieces are in place, we'll be a balanced offense.

Bingo, we are going to see big improvements in passing once KJ Hill is on the HILL!!
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

NaturalStateReb

Yes, they can win games with this style.  I  don't know about championships, but definitely games.  Right now, the biggest problem isn't style--it's depth.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Offense has rarely been the issue with the Hogs since joining the SEC.  DEFENSE has always been the Achilles heel.  And defense will be the deciding factor on if the Hogs go bowling this year, or not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogsanity on September 15, 2014, 08:40:41 am
Offense has rarely been the issue with the Hogs since joining the SEC.  DEFENSE has always been the Achilles heel.  And defense will be the deciding factor on if the Hogs go bowling this year, or not.

/thread
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

AugustaHog

I think it has already been proven to be a winning style by Nick Saban and Alabama.  We, at least offensively, are trying to accomplish the same things that the Tide have since NS has been there.  We are looking to have a smashing, powerful OL with freak of nature RBs pounding through it.  Check and Check.  Those aspects of our team are as good as it gets.  We will want a QB who has the offense on lock and will distribute the ball efficiently and put us in a good play call.  This guy has to be able throw it around a little, but we'll prefer to be a little conservative in this area (see McCarron and McElroy).  I'm not sure BA is that guy yet.  He's got the first part down.  We just haven't thrown it enough to say that his decision making and accuracy are at that point.  The final part of this equation is game breaking WRs and TEs.  We have Hatcher and Henry who can definitely play.  We need a couple more (don't worry they are on the way) and the offense can go to another level.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 15, 2014, 08:42:53 am
Once we get our depth developed, yes.

Yes, and we are slowly but surely getting there, just gotta, as Coach Broyles used to say, "stick to our knitting".