Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris first year W-L will be compared to other coaches

Started by parallaxpig, February 08, 2018, 05:09:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

HDN---------9-3
BP-----------5-7
BB-----------3-9

I'm thinking 6-6 with 4-0 in non conference and a couple of SEC wins............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

swineology

3-9 - 5-7

Way to early prediction. Let's see what they look like in the spring.

WPS!

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogtimes

I see  an 8-4 record.  There is talent on this team,  Bielema just did not have them playing as a team.   Chemistry is so important.    Plus  19 and 20 year old's adjust quickly.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 08, 2018, 05:09:16 pm
HDN---------9-3
BP-----------5-7
BB-----------3-9

I'm thinking 6-6 with 4-0 in non conference and a couple of SEC wins............

This is difficult to project. Bielema had 25 slots to fill in his first recruiting class. Morris had 16, maybe 2-3 more than that as it may work out eventually.

Bielema had to convert from a Petrino style offense to a Pro Style. Morris has to convert from a Pro Style to a "Clemson-like" Offense that is more similar to Petrino than Bielema.

Bielema inherited little talent that was of the kind that he needed to make his offense or defense work as he was accustomed to doing things. Morris on the other hand, inherits a much better existing talent base and depth level and it is up to him to convert it in a short time to what he wants them to do.

I think that the results of the last couple of seasons has led a lot of people to think that we have less talent on campus than we actually do. I don't expect miracles from the Morris staff, but I do think that we will achieve more than many expect.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Schedule is easy next year. 6-6 while trying to build after a bad first recruiting year. (not his fault; short time window)

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

ThisTeetsTaken

I'm most interested in seeing how we play against inferior teams.  I don't foresee CCM struggling to beat an Eastern Illinois type program in year one.  If he does I'll be concerned like I was when Bielema struggled to beat Samford.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

RME

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 08, 2018, 06:34:24 pm
I'm most interested in seeing how we play against inferior teams.  I don't foresee CCM struggling to beat an Eastern Illinois type program in year one.  If he does I'll be concerned like I was when Bielema struggled to beat Samford.

Not disagreeing, just saying; remember Petrino's first two games were a 28-24 win against Western Illinois and a 28-27 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

And apart from the three subsequent games against very good teams that year, we were very competitive in all others. I really think we'll see something similar this year, which is why 5-7 won't be the end of the world.

Flrazrback

I tend to believe we are pretty good out of the box.. 8-4 .. Will be very happy with a post season bowl

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 08, 2018, 06:40:05 pm
I tend to believe we are pretty good out of the box.. 8-4 .. Will be very happy with a post season bowl

Might be a tad overzealous. Maybe 8-5 after a bowl win but I think 7-6

Science Fiction Greg

Sure, compare with other coaches.  The honest comparisons will weigh the influence a new staff has over the team in those comparisons.  Far most useful comparisons would be comparing fifth year records.  Probably the best comparison would be a comparison of a range of years from about 3 to 8 or so if the staff was around that long, just to make the sample size more meaningful.

But sure, compare away.  I mean, you can compare anything.  It just isn't always useful.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 08, 2018, 06:36:26 pm
Not disagreeing, just saying; remember Petrino's first two games were a 28-24 win against Western Illinois and a 28-27 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

And apart from the three subsequent games against very good teams that year, we were very competitive in all others. I really think we'll see something similar this year, which is why 5-7 won't be the end of the world.
In Petrino's case you could see the offense coming on while the defense struggled.  With Bielema we struggled on both sides of the ball against a team not even as good as a W. IL or and E. iL.  ULM is a prettty decent program compared to the others we've mentioned.   

I think Morris' style (assuming we don't struggle to implement it) lends itself to beating inferior teams most of the time.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

parallaxpig

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on February 08, 2018, 06:45:17 pm
Sure, compare with other coaches.  The honest comparisons will weigh the influence a new staff has over the team in those comparisons.  Far most useful comparisons would be comparing fifth year records.  Probably the best comparison would be a comparison of a range of years from about 3 to 8 or so if the staff was around that long, just to make the sample size more meaningful.

But sure, compare away.  I mean, you can compare anything.  It just isn't always useful.

We all hope Morris has a year 8 to compare.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

LZH

East TN HAWG

I think we win 7-8.  Four out of conference cupcakes, Vandy and OM (that is 6) We have a strong chance to beat MS St, Mizz, A$M.   

It's a weak schedule for SEC standards. 

3Scoreand10

Ask this after we see the Spring and Summer practice of the Hogs and the opponents.
To many unanswered questions to even speculate today.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jkstock04

Anyone who has touted the Bielema homerism narrative the past couple of years has to be giddy about this season.

Roster is absolutely loaded with returning upperclassmen like we were told would be 5 years ago.

We will see what happens, truth is probably somewhere in the middle. We will see tons of improvement and win 6 or 7 regular season games would be my guess.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

widespreadsooie

hawginbigd1

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 08, 2018, 07:43:02 pm
I think we win 7-8.  Four out of conference cupcakes, Vandy and OM (that is 6) We have a strong chance to beat MS St, Mizz, A$M.   

Bingo, somewhere between 6(floor) and 9(ceiling) with this schedule and the talent of this roster. Biggest question as always what kind of QB play do we get? Is there a difference maker out of the 5?

Calling All Hogs

WBOBO

I say 8-4.  Coach Morris has the "It" factor in my book.  This staff is creating
a new infusion into old school Hog ball.  All you naysayers chirp away!  Ha! Ha!
Ha Ha Ha !  This guy is really that good.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: go hogues on February 08, 2018, 05:19:01 pm
Between CBP and B.B: 4-8 first year
Quote from: swineology on February 08, 2018, 05:20:13 pm
3-9 - 5-7

Way to early prediction. Let's see what they look like in the spring.

WPS!

LOLOLOLOL!! What is WRONG with y'all?

Dude, we will easily win 6+ games. I bet he gets within 1 game of HDN's 9-3.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rljjr

9-3 bc the pieces are there on offense and our D just got tons better with the Chief and new D staff.

CCM wins SEC Coach of the Year.

plumbhog

Quote from: rljjr on February 08, 2018, 11:07:09 pm
9-3 bc the pieces are there on offense and our D just got tons better with the Chief and new D staff.

I'll go along with this^^^^
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

SooiecidetillNuttgone

February 09, 2018, 01:11:09 am #28 Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:24:24 am by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 08, 2018, 09:04:58 pm
5-7

5-7 to 7-5 at best.
Gonna be a big transition.......Again
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jimbob111

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 08, 2018, 05:09:16 pm
HDN---------9-3
BP-----------5-7
BB-----------3-9

When I think back to Nutt's first season, I think that Danny Ford left a lot of talent. I see Bielema as recruiting a lot of the same type of players and I'm hoping CCM will be able to utilize that talent like Nutt utilized Ford's.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Al Boarland

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 08, 2018, 07:43:02 pm

By what measure are Vandy and OM guaranteed wins?

razorjacket43

I call at least 6 but would'nt be suprised to see 8 or 9 with the schedule. That being said it all depends on how well the players adapt on both sides of the ball. If we score 40 but give up 41 then we are the same as last year but if the Chief changes our D then we win more than people think. If the players adapt to this O like most of them should cause most (this is an assumption) played this pace and similar style in HS picks up on CM style then we will go bowling and have a fun year and team to watch
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 05:53:26 pm
This is difficult to project. Bielema had 25 slots to fill in his first recruiting class. Morris had 16, maybe 2-3 more than that as it may work out eventually.

Bielema had to convert from a Petrino style offense to a Pro Style. Morris has to convert from a Pro Style to a "Clemson-like" Offense that is more similar to Petrino than Bielema.

Bielema inherited little talent that was of the kind that he needed to make his offense or defense work as he was accustomed to doing things. Morris on the other hand, inherits a much better existing talent base and depth level and it is up to him to convert it in a short time to what he wants them to do.

I think that the results of the last couple of seasons has led a lot of people to think that we have less talent on campus than we actually do. I don't expect miracles from the Morris staff, but I do think that we will achieve more than many expect.

Another thing that makes it difficult to compare first year records is that the SEC, and in particular the SECW, is not the same as it was in HDN, BP and BB's first year.  For HDN in 98, the power was all in the east.  LSU and Bama were terrible.  For BP's first year, Fla and Bama were the top SEC teams, and he had both on his first year schedule, plus 2 ranked non-conference games.  In BB's first year, the  west was loaded.  6 of 7 played in the post season and 4 of those 6 finished in the top 25.

We can only speculate about the landscape of the SEC at this point, but I have a feeling that it is going to be tougher than the SEC that Nutt faced his first year, but maybe not quite as difficult as what BB faced.

DeltaBoy

With the schedule we got for 2018 I can see 6-6 up to 8-4 .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rtr

I think a lot depends on those 13 redshirts, thay maybe the key to a "good" year.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hotdog hog

If the energy and enthusiasm he's displayed thus far translates to the field, I have high expectations.

rhames

A 4-8 team getting a new coach, a new offense, a new defense with other big questions marks? We don't even know who the QB will be. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 6 wins next year would be fantastic, but I'm thinking more on the 5 range with a lot of excitement going into 2019.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RME

Quote from: rhames on February 09, 2018, 11:19:07 am
A 4-8 team getting a new coach, a new offense, a new defense with other big questions marks? We don't even know who the QB will be. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 6 wins next year would be fantastic, but I'm thinking more on the 5 range with a lot of excitement going into 2019.

Exactly.

Pre-2017 season: This is year 5 for Bielema. Best team he's had. He's established here. These players are all his. Less than 10 wins is a bust. Go 4-8.
Pre-2018 season: New coach. New assistants. New offense. New defense. Essentially same team as last year. 8-4? Sure, no problem.

code red

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 08, 2018, 05:55:08 pm
Schedule is easy next year. 6-6 while trying to build after a bad first recruiting year. (not his fault; short time window)
Agreed could be 7-5 but....we will lose a couple we maybe should win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 09, 2018, 06:17:52 am
By what measure are Vandy and OM guaranteed wins?
They suck.  We've beat OM how many times in a row, and you will start seeing the decline due to the violations.  Attrition and poor recruiting has been the status quo over the past 2-3 years. 

Vandy has improved, but they are still Vandy.  They will be near the bottom of the weaker division.  We should beat them every year.   

rhames

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 09, 2018, 11:59:05 am
They suck.  We've beat OM how many times in a row, and you will start seeing the decline due to the violations.  Attrition and poor recruiting has been the status quo over the past 2-3 years. 

Vandy has improved, but they are still Vandy.  They will be near the bottom of the weaker division.  We should beat them every year.   

Lol
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The NewEra

If he does this and I hope he does.  Recruiting will take off like a rocket.  This staff will put in the hard work, I'm sure of that.  What they need to take this team to the next level is a really good season with a lot of media buzz.  Your prophesy above would be just the catalyst needed.

GalaHawg

6-6 is the safe bet... If the QB situation turns out better than expected, then it may go up to 8-4... but in a bad QB fit to system situation (coupled with lack of experience), it may be 4-8. QB situation and ability to pass rush on defense will determine where we end up between 4-8 and 8-4.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

195bc

Offense is probably going to score a lot of points. Defense? Who knows.
Last year, with an SMU team that had mediocre talent for even teams outside the Power 5, SMU scored plenty of points against their best opponents. In their five games against Navy, UCF, Memphis, Houston and TCU, SMU average scoring 33.4 points. Those five schools averaged giving up 25.42 points/game. So Morris showed last year his team can score against the toughest teams on their schedule (including teams that had good defenses). For example, TCU allowed 17.6 points/game. SMU scored 36 against them. Only OU and Stanford score more points against TCU. The stories of SMU against Navy and Memphis were similar.
So with a fair amount of talent on the Hill and a dynamic offense, we should win all four non-conference games and beat Vanderbilt or Missouri. That leaves losses to Auburn, A&M, Alabama, LSU and Mississippi State. I'm going to say we beat Ole Miss at home since they didn't look great last year and lost Patterson. So that appears to leave us at 6-6, which would be OK for a first-year coach.
Now, if the offensive line play improves a little and with a little luck ... 

Been10Hog

non-conference, the Mississippis, Mizzou and Vandy......8-4

HogPharmer

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 09, 2018, 12:31:14 pm
I'm drinking to this! +1!

Realistically though, I'm gonna go with 6-6 +/-1 game.... I'd just like to see some competitiveness out of our team this year.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hogforlife

I like the way you think.