Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Graduate Transfer Running Back?

Started by The_Iceman, May 18, 2017, 10:48:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hawgar The Horrible

Just damn. Idiots finding fault in CBB trying to shore up depth at RB when the same idiots say there is no depth at RB.

Some of you jerks couldn't scratch your ass without trying reach around the opposite elbow.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 19, 2017, 05:10:53 pm
I understand where you are coming from, but it doesn't change the fact that we are a dual back system (or even triple back sometimes).  What you are talking about are situations where we were left high and dry by injury, recruiting or what have you. 

However, our system is designed to feature two backs.  It is the system I am talking about, not so much the vagueries of individual years where we may have to do things in a less than preferable way.  CBB always wants two feature backs and some change ups behind them. 

A transfer would know that CBB wants two studs and that, other than unproven freshmen and TJ, we only have Devwah right now in the stud, "complete" back category.  That opportunity to be one half of our two back system is what would appeal to them as opposed to systems where only one guy is featured and that "one guy" might not be them.

As far as "proven" goes, we don't even have that with Whaley. Whaley was a clear 2 to Rawleigh's 1. He was a complimentary back to RW3 who was the primary back, even on the back half of the season. From OM on, Whaley had 72 of his 110 carries. RW3 had 132, nearly twice as many. We don't know for sure if Whaley can be as productive when he's the veteran and 1a of the group. I've seen nothing to suggest that he can't be and I believe he will. However, proven stud is what what I'd use to describe somebody with half the carries and only 600 yards.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 06:46:49 pm
As far as "proven" goes, we don't even have that with Whaley. Whaley was a clear 2 to Rawleigh's 1. He was a complimentary back to RW3 who was the primary back, even on the back half of the season. From OM on, Whaley had 72 of his 110 carries. RW3 had 132, nearly twice as many. We don't know for sure if Whaley can be as productive when he's the veteran and 1a of the group. I've seen nothing to suggest that he can't be and I believe he will. However, proven stud is what what I'd use to describe somebody with half the carries and only 600 yards.

Whaley's reps were limited early on due to not having his blocking assignments down. I could have sworn you were the one who mentioned this, but I know that was the reasoning behind the fewer reps earlier in the season. Reports from the spring indicate his improvement so I agree with you, he should be productive from the get-go this fall. I think he will achieve "stud" status this fall.

The bigger question is who is going to be his #2. Right now that sounds like it could very well be Maleek Williams since according to Enos he has apparently grasped the entire offense, his blocking assignments and runs hard. Well I say that, but I think what was actually said was that he was further ahead than any freshman RB at this point that has been under Enos, or words to that effect. Hopefully, that means he will carry his responsibility and be productive.

With Day gone that probably means that Hammonds may see more utilization in the backfield. It is a good thing that they moved him back to RB the last half of the spring. Chase Hayden won't R/S (how could he?). He will have to be developed quickly if he is going to be able to contribute at all.

It also makes me wonder if they don't transition at least one of Maleek Barkley (5-11, 195) or Jordan Curtis (6-0, 200) to RB for the Fall at least for the purposes of emergency depth? Both played RB in HS.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2017, 07:39:58 pm

It also makes me wonder if they don't transition at least one of Maleek Barkley (5-11, 195) or Jordan Curtis (6-0, 200) to RB for the Fall at least for the purposes of emergency depth? Both played RB in HS.

I wondered this as well...

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2017, 07:39:58 pm
Whaley's reps were limited early on due to not having his blocking assignments down. I could have sworn you were the one who mentioned this, but I know that was the reasoning behind the fewer reps earlier in the season. Reports from the spring indicate his improvement so I agree with you, he should be productive from the get-go this fall. I think he will achieve "stud" status this fall.

I have mentioned it, but so  have a lot of others. I would say I was "the one". Particularly, 72 of his 110 carries came in the back half of the season, from OM onwards. While I cherry picked OM to start counting, I did so because that is when his number of carries started to pick up. However, he was still nearly at half the work load of Williams.

QuoteThe bigger question is who is going to be his #2. Right now that sounds like it could very well be Maleek Williams since according to Enos he has apparently grasped the entire offense, his blocking assignments and runs hard. Well I say that, but I think what was actually said was that he was further ahead than any freshman RB at this point that has been under Enos, or words to that effect. Hopefully, that means he will carry his responsibility and be productive.

From the day Maleek signed, I was saying he'd start cutting into playing time from day 1 and I wasn't disappointed. Even with a healthy RW3, I figured Maleek would get ~80 touches, close to what Whaley had last year in carries. I'd be shocked if he didn't start the season at anything less than #2 and probably be a 1b pretty quickly. Depending on how the game is going, if we need more power, he could be 1a for that game, though I doubt he'd surpass Whaley in carries for the season at all.

It's weird to think about, but of the 4 years CBB has been here, we've only had 1a and 1b for 2 of those 4 years and it has been 2 full seasons since that happened. The past two we haven't had that.

QuoteWith Day gone that probably means that Hammonds may see more utilization in the backfield. It is a good thing that they moved him back to RB the last half of the spring. Chase Hayden won't R/S (how could he?). He will have to be developed quickly if he is going to be able to contribute at all.

With a healthy RW3, I looked for Hammonds to be something like 80% receiver, 20% back, maybe even higher. With RW3 gone, I think that number becomes a lot more RB. How much more depends on how our players do. I'll comment on Chase below.

QuoteIt also makes me wonder if they don't transition at least one of Maleek Barkley (5-11, 195) or Jordan Curtis (6-0, 200) to RB for the Fall at least for the purposes of emergency depth? Both played RB in HS.

2013: 3rd string+ running backs touched the ball a total of 88 times with Small accounting for 59 of those (40 rushing, 19 receiving, the only one to catch some passes). We have TE's who can play the H-back role catching passes out the backfield. Kendrick Jackson is a good blocking FB, but Johnson is a guy who can do some damage with the ball in his hands as well. Scat backs (which is what Barkley, Hayden, and Hammonds would be) accounted for 23 total touches on the season.

2014: 81 total touches. 37 of those by FB's. 31 scat back carries from Marshall and Duwop with 6 receptions.

2015: This one is tricky. Many of Walker's carries came when he was #2 and then RW3 when he was also #2 and I don't want to tally up their carries when they weren't #2. 20 total touches outside of those though. Duwop having 6 catches, 4 runs. Evans and Day making up the other touches in runs.

2016: 63 total touches. All 6 receptions came from FB's Walker, Jackson, and Johnson 33 carries from Walker as well. Scat backs Duwop and Hammonds accounted for 22 and Connor McPherson had 2 carries.

What does that mean? In his entire history here at Ark, between 60-90 touches go to backs who are not the top 2. Typically around 2/3 of those carries have been from FB's/reserve power backs, leaving 20-30 for scat backs.

Maleek Williams is our only power tail back. Barkely, Hammonds, and Barnes would all be of the scat back variety. Curtis has the size to have some power, but his tape is very much of the shifty variety and not power. Hayden and Cantrell are really our only two options for big power carries outside our top 2. Which likely means that Bielema will have to depart from the norm. Hammonds can definitely handle more than 20 touches that the scat back would normally get. Austin in his first year threw about 30 more passes than his brother did his senior year. As much of an asset as Austin is, I can only imagine he gets to throw the ball more next year. So, that could mean fewer runs to begin with. Curtis I think will be too valuable at CB. Don't think he starts this year with Toliver and Pulley manning the starting spots and KR3 perhaps the nickel. However, I expect him to be getting similar playing time that Harris had last year at LB towards the end. I'd really hate for him to move to RB and then back to CB and lose out on development from the constant shuffling. His brother was an athletic stud and was hurt by the frequent moves. Barkley and Barnes could both play in the scat back role if they were to move to RB. Chase is slotted to be a RB as well. However, he too is more in the scat mold than the power or 3-down mold at least based on HS.

So, I don't think it's impossible he redshirts. We'll have Austin Allen at qb with some insane talent and depth at receiver and a seasoned OL which should provide ample time for Allen to dissect the defense. Could lead to fewer reps running as we look to maximize the talents of this team and the best players on it. Whaley and Williams will get b/w 350 and 450 touches b/w the two of them. RW3 and Whaley and JWill/Collins first year was closer to 350, JWill/Collins 2nd year and Collins/Walker/RW3 were closer to 450. Austin had 406 this year, so could be closer to 450 next year himself. So, that will account for 60-70 plays per game among those 3. Leaving us with ~10 more snaps per game. B/w Johnson, Hammonds, and the 20 WR runs per season we average, We wouldn't have to move Curtis, take the redshirt off Chase, or put Barnes or Barkley at RB. Of Chase, Barnes, and Barkely, at least 1 will likely not redshirt and will probably be taking reps at RB. Of the 3, who knows which one will be the best early on. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

May 20, 2017, 08:47:26 am #58 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:55:41 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2017, 09:25:59 pm

So, I don't think it's impossible he redshirts. We'll have Austin Allen at qb with some insane talent and depth at receiver and a seasoned OL which should provide ample time for Allen to dissect the defense. Could lead to fewer reps running as we look to maximize the talents of this team and the best players on it. Whaley and Williams will get b/w 350 and 450 touches b/w the two of them. RW3 and Whaley and JWill/Collins first year was closer to 350, JWill/Collins 2nd year and Collins/Walker/RW3 were closer to 450. Austin had 406 this year, so could be closer to 450 next year himself. So, that will account for 60-70 plays per game among those 3. Leaving us with ~10 more snaps per game. B/w Johnson, Hammonds, and the 20 WR runs per season we average, We wouldn't have to move Curtis, take the redshirt off Chase, or put Barnes or Barkley at RB. Of Chase, Barnes, and Barkely, at least 1 will likely not redshirt and will probably be taking reps at RB. Of the 3, who knows which one will be the best early on. 

I will say that we have a lot of depth at WR and it may be really talented depth, we just have to see if the "puhtenial"(channeling Coach Broyles) translates to the field when the ball is tee'd up.

We better hope that we can find a consistent and reliable running game (outside and inside the 20) or our opponents will blitz all day long. And keep in mind that 29 of our missed opportunities to score last year involved the passing game and we leaned on that to a greater degree because of a lack of faith in being able to run the ball effectively when the chips were down.
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on May 19, 2017, 10:18:30 am
Too bad Day is leaving....in state kid, I thought he would be a good Juan

Me too!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 18, 2017, 11:06:05 am
I suspect he's wanting to redshirt his two freshmen.
He has.....
1. Dev
2. Justice Hobbs
3. Conner McPherson

and the "two freshmen"...  if he wants to redshirt them, he must be planning on jet sweep out of a five wide set.

Polecat

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 10:11:41 pm
when the RB were listed as options to help lighten the load that was lost with RWIII, Day was mentioned as being healthy and ready to contribute.

This was from Mike Erwin's article.
Juan Day, the often injured junior from North Little Rock, had his best spring as a Razorback adding to the depth offensive coordinator Dan Enos has available at that position.

Adding depth isn't a compliment.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ricepig

David Williams, former USCe grad transfer is on campus today, per multiple sources. He has/had committed to transferring to UConn, but hasn't made it all official.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pork Twain

Quote from: LRRandy on May 18, 2017, 08:48:08 pm
The Razorbacks are in search of a graduate transfer to join the team yet have a graduate player looking for a team to transfer to. Is Day not healthy enough to play or not good enough to play. Just seems odd.
Seriously, at this point, does this question need to be asked?  He is a great kid, but could not stay healthy or break through our depth chart.  Just let him move onward and upward in life.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawghiggs

Quote from: twistitup on June 04, 2017, 06:11:13 am
https://gradtransfertracker.com/rumored-transfers/

We better hurry- potential rb's are limited

Great link. How many spots do we have? I wouldn't mind adding that Cal linemen.

MasterChiefHog

I'd buy all 2 beers and lap dance. Outstanding comments on this thread. Thanks for the read, insight, and entertainment. There's some good Juan's on here for sure!
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

SRV

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 19, 2017, 06:34:23 pm
Just damn. Idiots finding fault in CBB trying to shore up depth at RB when the same idiots say there is no depth at RB.

Some of you jerks couldn't scratch your ass without trying reach around the opposite elbow.
Well done.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

SRV

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 04, 2017, 06:29:57 am
Seriously, at this point, does this question need to be asked?  He is a great kid, but could not stay healthy or break through our depth chart.  Just let him move onward and upward in life.
Indeed. Sometimes things just don't work out the way we envisioned them working out.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

LRRandy

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 04, 2017, 06:29:57 am
to be fair I was confused by the message coming out of spring camp. It was being postured that Day was healthy and had an opportunity to contribute after all the bad breaks of an injury plagued career to this point. The transfer surprised me based on what was being put forth by the program and those here on hogville. I hope he lands somewhere and gets to play. Was really not trying to tear the young man down. I was just confused.
This is fun, isn't it.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net