Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Layoff

Started by Next1_04, April 26, 2017, 12:42:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

Lots of people getting canned today in Bristol.

Popular Names Include: Danny Kennel

Feel Free to add names as you see them.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dwight_K_Shrute

Ed Werder is one as well.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Brett McMurphy, Jeremy Crabtree, John Buccigross, Dana O'neil

HF#1

East Clintwood

They should go ahead and can all of them.

Just broadcast the games, rerun them, and forget all the other stuff.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Kevin

Less news more opinion.  Just more first take type programs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dwight_K_Shrute

Danny Kanell (no tears shed)
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

hogcard1964

Stephen A. Smith has to be on this list.  Dude's nuts.

HF#1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 26, 2017, 12:50:35 pm

That is why they will keep him.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 12:46:25 pm
Brett McMurphy, Jeremy Crabtree, John Buccigross, Dana O'neil

Not Bucci

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on April 26, 2017, 12:51:51 pm
That is why they will keep him.

Maybe

Regardless, whenever I see the guy I change the channel.

Next1_04

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 26, 2017, 12:48:21 pm
Danny Kanell (no tears shed)

Too soon to tweet him and say join the SEC Network?

Kevin

ESPN getting ready to bring in Katie Nolan. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 26, 2017, 12:50:35 pm

That would involve too many legal depts... he should top the list! They suppress Sage Steele, yet let this vermin continue to spew his slanted comments!

Werder & Stark deserved better.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

King Kong

Quote from: HF#1 on April 26, 2017, 12:49:52 pm
Ed Werder

Wait, who is going to cover the Cowboys on draft day?

Peter Porker

ESPN is going the way of MTV.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

arkansasbred

Wish they would get rid of Cari Champion. I can't even watch Sportscenter when she is on there.

BigE_23

Stay classy Danny...

Everyone else has been honoring and respectful to ESPN and handled their departures with dignity...but why would anyone expect that from Mr. Kanell?

King Kong

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on April 26, 2017, 01:01:50 pm
Werder & Stark deserved better.

Those 2 surprised me the most.

Brett McMurphy doesn't surprise me. But he doesn't an excellent job as well and will land on his feet

HF#1

Quote from: BigE_23 on April 26, 2017, 01:06:14 pm
Stay classy Danny...

Everyone else has been honoring and respectful to ESPN and handled their departures with dignity...but why would anyone expect that from Mr. Kanell?

I actually respect him more for that Tweet. While I disagree with most everything that comes from his mouth, I respect the fact that he is willing to say what most won't. There wasn't anything unclassy about it.

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Richard_white

No Dan Le Batard?..Bummed

hogsanity

Werder will land at the NFL network in about 20 minutes if he wants to go there. Same for Stark and MLB net.

Quote from: Richard_white on April 26, 2017, 01:14:08 pm
No Dan Le Batard?..Bummed

They are going to keep guys like Smith and Lebatard because they are, shall we say, special ( in case you have not noticed a trend among all those let go so far ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

lumphog

" IF " ....... they didn't FIRE the chick that does CFB, they are IDIOTS!!!!!
And,....I bet they didn't. SEE what being Politically Correct has done to ESPN ?
They are run by a bunch of IDIOTS!!!! They have cornered the market on SPORTS and are losing money...... THINK ABOUT THAT.......IDIOTS!!!!!!!

lumphog

Stay classy Danny...

HE.....should have been FIRED 7 years ago......HE SUCKS!!!!

Arctic Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 26, 2017, 12:54:15 pm
Maybe

Regardless, whenever I see the guy I change the channel.

I do the same thing.  Stephen A. Smith =  :puke:

Dwight_K_Shrute

As far as Danny K whining, he's complaining about the life every pro athlete leads or faces. For the most part it is a vagabond lifestyle, you never know when you might get traded or cut and many times after giving your blood sweat tears and body to the organization.  If anyone should understand it's him.  It just shows how clueless he is.

Contrast his response with Trent Dilfer's and most of the others that have been let go.

[tweet]857286119171342336[/tweet]

The NewEra

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 26, 2017, 01:50:36 pm
As far as Danny K whining, he's complaining about the life every pro athlete leads or faces. For the most part it is a vagabond lifestyle, you never know when you might get traded or cut and many times after giving your blood sweat tears and body to the organization.  If anyone should understand it's him.  It just shows how clueless he is.

Contrast his response with Trent Dilfer's and most of the others that have been let go.

[tweet]857286119171342336[/tweet]

Great comparison.

Jackrabbit Hog

When ESPN first came on the air, it stood for Entertainment & Sports Programming Network.  Until the last few years, there has always been some "entertainment" but it has always been overshadowed (rightfully) by the sports.  The past couple of years, however, there has been a distinct shift toward the entertainment side, or what the demographic ESPN is shooting for would call entertainment.  Everything other than live sports events tries to be hip and in-your-face.  Maybe that's what the majority of its audience today wants.  If so, count me in the minority.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

31to6

Quote from: lumphog on April 26, 2017, 01:37:59 pm
" IF " ....... they didn't FIRE the chick that does CFB, they are IDIOTS!!!!!
And,....I bet they didn't. SEE what being Politically Correct has done to ESPN ?
They are run by a bunch of IDIOTS!!!! They have cornered the market on SPORTS and are losing money...... THINK ABOUT THAT.......IDIOTS!!!!!!!
PC has not helped, but sports viewership is shifting to less lucrative mediums.

The breakup / shakeup of the cable networks monopolies as competition has increased combined with a decent percentage of the key demo cutting the cable altogether is hurting them badly.

Since the 20-something who doesn't care about sports has no compelling reason to keep shelling out premium $'s for cable/satellite TV the business model of making your content vital in and then essentially forcing everyone with a TV to pay for it (whether they watch it or not) is dead.

A big part of the shakeup is prioritizing personalities that have proven to be effective in more than one medium (TV, radio, streaming, 'print') or more than one sport.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 31to6 on April 26, 2017, 02:20:52 pm
Since the 20-something who doesn't care about sports has no compelling reason to keep shelling out premium $'s for cable/satellite TV the business model of making your content vital in and then essentially forcing everyone with a TV to pay for it (whether they watch it or not) is dead.

That's a great point and one I don't hear brought up very often.  "Kids" today, and by that I mean anyone under 20, just don't have the same passion for viewing sports that we did when we were that age.  Of course there are exceptions, but I think the percentage of teens that would call themselves true sports fans is much lower today.  There's just too much in the way of technology and alternative entertainment that commands their attention.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

pigroots

If Stephen A Smith is kept on it tells us all we need to know about why they are in trouble. People who turn to watch want to see sports not controversial and often wrong editorial

311Hog

surprised at some of the names, Len Elmore, Karl Ravisch sp?, Hannah Storm, Crawford.

hawganatic

Sportcenter has become unwatchable anyway.  I miss the days of:

Stuart Scott, Rich Eisen, Craig Kilborn, Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, etc....

Way more entertaining and they did a good job of REPORTING sports and not trying to spin it into something it isn't.

Hogs49ers

Among those fired:
Ed Werder - NFL
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ashley Fox - NFL analyst
Jean-Jacques Taylor - NFL/Cowboys
Jay Crawford - SportsCenter 
Johnette Howard - Columnist 
Jeremy Crabtree - College Football Recruiting
Brett McMurphy - College Football
David Ching - SEC Football
Derek Tyson -- SEC Football Recruiting 
Max Olson -- Big 12 Football
Ted Miller - Pac-12 Football
Brian Bennett -- Big Ten Football
Austin Ward - Big Ten Football
Jesse Temple - Big Ten Football
Paul Kuharsky - Titans Writer (will be leaving in July)
Dana O'Neil - College Basketball
Eamonn Brennan - College Basketball
C.L. Brown - College Basketball 
Len Elmore- College Basketball analyst
Justin Verrier - NBA/Pelicans reporter
Calvin Watkins - NBA/Rockets reporter
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Mark Saxon - Baseball
Jayson Stark - MLB
Jim Bowden - MLB analyst
Doug Padilla - MLB/Dodgers reporter
Scott Burnside - Hockey
Pierre LeBrun - Hockey
Joe McDonald- Hockey
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Brendan Fitzgerald - ESPNU Anchor
Jane McManus - Reporter
Melissa Isaacson - Columnist
SCREW Vandy!

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 26, 2017, 02:29:12 pm
That's a great point and one I don't hear brought up very often.  "Kids" today, and by that I mean anyone under 20, just don't have the same passion for viewing sports that we did when we were that age.  Of course there are exceptions, but I think the percentage of teens that would call themselves true sports fans is much lower today.  There's just too much in the way of technology and alternative entertainment that commands their attention.

My 25yr old still watches some sports, he uses mine or his mom's log-ins, more important things to spend his money on in Chicago than cable. The 15yr old watches very little, and usually streaming on his phone. I'll ask if he watched an away game, his usual response is I watched half and we were ahead.......

RazorPiggie

ESPN needs to quit hiring former players. Most are terrible and I'm sure they demand more money than the guy that has worked his way up through the system.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

EastexHawg

Yet another sign that times are changing.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the next big contracts, such as the SEC contract, are negotiated.

hobhog

ESPN starting changing philosophically two years ago. The complete disaster Longhorn Network just excelleated the change. Top management has been getting laid off for over year now.

Dumpster fire.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Most of the layoff list can go back to their Alma Mater & instantly get hired as game analysts, sideline reporters, or beat writers.  Plenty of news/sports outlets about to get a lot of good talent.

Danny Kannell could go to FLORIDA ST. right now and probably be the OC or QB coach.

Dilfer will probably get a gig with the NFL network.

Ed Werder could be exclusive inside reporter for all things Dallas Cowboys!

woodhog14

Stay classy Danny...

You must of missed the tweet he posted one minute after this one...it was all class.

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/857274947974070273

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 26, 2017, 12:53:35 pm
Not Bucci

Dwight is correct on this one.  Bucci has not been let go as of today, but this is his final year of his contract and will probably not be renewed.