Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uhhhh...Macon tweet

Started by batmanfan, April 14, 2017, 08:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgmasta on April 25, 2017, 12:07:58 am
Has anyone mentioned Weems? If I remember correctly he did pretty well over in Russia. Made some good contracts was even in a commercial. I would play in Russia for 500$ a week just for the women.

Weems was drafted and played in the NBA before going overseas. That's a huge deal and afforded him the ability to play for the very top organizations in the Euroleague and be one of the top 5 paid players outside of the NBA. Macon could get there, but leaving now really does not help him do that. It just doesn't. Could still get there, of course, but if he wants to maximize his professional prospects going into the next level, a good senior season is what he needs. Leave now, and you don't get the opportunity to showcase not only to the NBA scouts, but mainly the international scouts, at the Portsmouth Invitational. Many assume that showcase for seniors is for players to lock down combine invites, but its biggest purpose is for international scouts to get a look at the top seniors. There are just so many more pros for a guy like Macon to come back. And I'm a guy that is pro-get-paid-when-you-can. I just like to see guys be smart about it. I don't care if he doesn't like school. He's put up with school + ball for years now. He can't do one more season, the most important season of his amateur career?

jry04

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 24, 2017, 04:28:05 pm
Sounds like you need a life.  All of you do.
Says the person who is on here, too. Yeah, I am such a loser because I am a fan of the Razorbacks.

hawgmasta

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on April 25, 2017, 12:46:43 am
They charge $500 an hour

So an hour a week huh? It's get pretty cold in Russia but I guess I could be homeless.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 25, 2017, 07:19:45 am
Weems was drafted and played in the NBA before going overseas. That's a huge deal and afforded him the ability to play for the very top organizations in the Euroleague and be one of the top 5 paid players outside of the NBA. Macon could get there, but leaving now really does not help him do that. It just doesn't. Could still get there, of course, but if he wants to maximize his professional prospects going into the next level, a good senior season is what he needs. Leave now, and you don't get the opportunity to showcase not only to the NBA scouts, but mainly the international scouts, at the Portsmouth Invitational. Many assume that showcase for seniors is for players to lock down combine invites, but its biggest purpose is for international scouts to get a look at the top seniors. There are just so many more pros for a guy like Macon to come back. And I'm a guy that is pro-get-paid-when-you-can. I just like to see guys be smart about it. I don't care if he doesn't like school. He's put up with school + ball for years now. He can't do one more season, the most important season of his amateur career?
Nailed it!

jry04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 25, 2017, 10:24:35 am
No, the way you think is stupid!  I don't care how many degrees you have from UA, your degrees have nothing to do with athletes personal lives.  You are not invested in individual athletes lives.  You invested in your own life.  And yes, it is sad for a grown arsp man to be on a sports message board criticizing a young man for making a decision that in no way affect their life.  Maybe he wants to go to a European League.  Maybe he hates college.  We don't know as it doesn't matter because it's his choice and his alone and your opinion is meaningless to him.  So tell me again why a grown arsp man is criticizing a decision that in NO way affects him other than for entertainment purposes?  Get a life dude!
Where did I criticize anyone? I am one of the few who have said I think him leaving makes sense. However, you saying people looking up mock drafts makes them losers is as dumb as it gets. I AM A FAN SO THAT IS WHAT FANS DO. Get off your high horse. His decision doesn't have any impact on my personal life so I won't lose sleep over it, however I am not on here to talk about my personal life. I am on here to talk about my favorite sports team and how his decision impacts my team. I am sorry you don't understand that. Get off your soap box and go get on pinterest if you don't like what is talked about on here.

It blows my mind that people get on message boards to tell people to get a life when they are on the same message board as everyone else they are criticizing.

riccoar

Again, nobody is whining because a player leaves early and they want them on the squad next year.  Their life, their choice.  It's simple.  Both situations improve financially with returning.  The only thing people will be upset by is seeing another kid become a Thurman or Qualls and having a much harder struggle with their future.  I want to see every player that plays on the hardwoods for Arkansas, with next level talent, to end up like Joe Johnson, Bobby Portis making bank.

jry04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 25, 2017, 11:36:10 am
No high horses here my friend.  I'm on this message board because I find the content and opinions to be so hilarious.  I love sports and the Hogs specifically but I don't make suggestions concerning a decision a young makes unless it's a bad pass.  Whether Macon and/or Barford stay or leave will have zero effect on my viewing pleasure when watching the Hogs.  I mean really?  This board will absolutely explode after the 18 class arrive because most of those kids are going to leave early.  We complain about not getting top recruits and when we get them we complain because they leave early.  Ever heard of "darned if you do, darned if you don't?"  I guess some fans just can't be satisfied and prefer whining.  I'm pretty sure CMA isn't losing sleep over either or both of them leaving.  He is more than likely planning at this very moment how to fill the void left.  That's what professionals do, not sit around giving opinions about what's best for someone else.  I'm all about young men chasing dreams because I've chased mine.  Did it always work out?  No, but the experience benefited me.  At what point does the young man and HIS life trump an athletic team?  It's his life, let him live it because nobody on this board has a chrystal ball so nobody knows if his decision is good or bad.  Nobody knows if his decision is an uninformed one because none of us know what evaluation criteria he's using to make his decision.  I'm just shocked at all the hand wringing.  The Hogs will be ok, the future is bright with or without him.  The program is fine and is set for years to come.  Have you seen the 15U AAU team?  Wow!  Trust me, we are on the precipice of seeing a revolving door of players leaving early but help will be on the way from now to the foreseeable future!  It's all good my friend!  Leave or stay, the program is on an upward trajectory for the first time in 20 years and that is my focus and what excites me!
First off, we won't make the NCAAT next year if Macon leaves. May not even make it if he stays. You act like we are some juggernaut program that can afford to have 4-5 starters leave every year. Also, the bolded part I said in my first post addressing you. It is what fans do unfortunately.

Second off, you comparing what Mike does to what a fan does is ignorant. This is his job. Him losing sleep or not is irrelevant to this conversation.

Also, you act as if everything fans say on this board are going to directly influence Macon. I highly doubt he reads this, and if he does and let's any of it impact his decision than that is his own fault. This is a place for discussing Razorback topics, and that is exactly what has been done. How is any of what is being said on here preventing him from "living his life" as you say we should let him do? Nobody on here hopes Macon fails. I want all the best for him, and as I have explained 100 times I think him leaving makes sense. You say professionals don't sit around giving opinions on what others should do, so luckily nobody on here is a college basketball coach...

Lastly, if you think his decision will have zero impact on your "viewing pleasure" while watching the Hogs, then I am not sure what kind of fan you are. Me personally, I enjoy watching good teams, and do not enjoy watching bad teams. We would have a potential to win 22-24 games next year with Macon, that sounds fun. Without Macon, we probably win fewer than 20. I don't think that will be near as fun to watch as a 22-24 win season, but that is just me.

jry04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 25, 2017, 12:27:20 pm
All I can say is that you have been a very miserable fan the last few years if your criteria for viewing is to only enjoy "good" teams.  As far as the word "ignorant," maybe that best describes your school over athlete attitude.  Maybe you don't get out much or you haven't been paying attention but young men leave programs early across the country and not just elite programs.  Some struggle for a year and reload.  its the nature of CBB because it's not about school pride to young men any more.  It's about satisfying a requirement enacted by the NBA (1 year in college).  As far as what kind of fan I am, I will view 18-12.  I will enjoy the 18 wins while feeling kicked in the gut with the 12 loses.  With each lose I will recover, smile, and just bask in joy knowing that '18 class is on it's way and the coffers are loaded up for years to come.  AND what makes you think 18-12 or 18-13 won't get us in the tourney?  What was Vandy's record again?  Along with the performance of SEC schools in the Dance, I'd say it's a safe bet 18-12 WILL get in the tourney.  So, you can play chicken little all you want but the situation is no way as dire as you and others make it if the young man leaves.
Again, your comments directed towards me lecturing on why it is ok for a player to leave early is for nothing. I have stated numerous times I think it makes sense for him to leave. Literally the only comment of yours I took issue with was saying grown men looking up mock drafts was sad and that we wanted to live vicariously through these athletes.

This is my last post in this topic, so you can have the last word. The fact that you think it is a safe bet that 18-12 will get us in the NCAAT tells me all I need to know about how much you pay attention to college basketball. Nothing about 18-12 is safe. Lunardi isn't 100%, and it is too early to tell, but he has us as the play-in game WITH Macon. It really isn't unreasonable to think we completely miss it without him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jry04 on April 25, 2017, 11:49:37 am
First off, we won't make the NCAAT next year if Macon leaves. May not even make it if he stays. You act like we are some juggernaut program that can afford to have 4-5 starters leave every year. Also, the bolded part I said in my first post addressing you. It is what fans do unfortunately.

Second off, you comparing what Mike does to what a fan does is ignorant. This is his job. Him losing sleep or not is irrelevant to this conversation.

Also, you act as if everything fans say on this board are going to directly influence Macon. I highly doubt he reads this, and if he does and let's any of it impact his decision than that is his own fault. This is a place for discussing Razorback topics, and that is exactly what has been done. How is any of what is being said on here preventing him from "living his life" as you say we should let him do? Nobody on here hopes Macon fails. I want all the best for him, and as I have explained 100 times I think him leaving makes sense. You say professionals don't sit around giving opinions on what others should do, so luckily nobody on here is a college basketball coach...

Lastly, if you think his decision will have zero impact on your "viewing pleasure" while watching the Hogs, then I am not sure what kind of fan you are. Me personally, I enjoy watching good teams, and do not enjoy watching bad teams. We would have a potential to win 22-24 games next year with Macon, that sounds fun. Without Macon, we probably win fewer than 20. I don't think that will be near as fun to watch as a 22-24 win season, but that is just me.

IMO it's completely asinine to say losing Macon means no tournament. We may or may not make it, but you're JMSU when you say it hinges on Macon's decision.

jry04

April 25, 2017, 01:59:14 pm #359 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:18:14 pm by jry04
Quote from: PorkRinds on April 25, 2017, 01:18:24 pm
IMO it's completely asinine to say losing Macon means no tournament. We may or may not make it, but you're JMSU when you say it hinges on Macon's decision.
It is my opinion. I don't think it necessarily hinges because I said we could miss it even with him. However, if we lose Macon I think it definitely means we miss the NCAAT.

Unless we have some instant impact recruit waiting in the wings to commit, or our current players exceed expectations in their development, it really isn't going out on a limb to say we won't make it without Macon.

We lose Hannahs, Watkins, and Moses already. Losing Macon means we lose 4 of our top 5 players. We can agree to disagree, but it is a very homer take to call someone asinine for saying no Macon=no NCAAT when we are already losing what we are losing. There are not too many teams who can record from losing 4 of their top 5 players with zero 5* currently on their roster, and 0 5* in their incoming recruiting class.

Good thing we play the games for a reason and not on paper, though. I guess I lied previously, this is my last post. No point in going round and round. We will see in a year.

HogsonHicks

Macon got exactly what he wanted with the tweet that launched this thread...attention.

Science Fiction Greg

I could go the rest of my life without hearing the stupid phrase "grown *** man" again.  I cringe every time.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on April 25, 2017, 05:06:25 pm
I could go the rest of my life without hearing the stupid phrase "grown *** man" again.  I cringe every time.

Same.

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jry04 on April 25, 2017, 01:59:14 pm
It is my opinion. I don't think it necessarily hinges because I said we could miss it even with him. However, if we lose Macon I think it definitely means we miss the NCAAT.

Unless we have some instant impact recruit waiting in the wings to commit, or our current players exceed expectations in their development, it really isn't going out on a limb to say we won't make it without Macon.

Your use of definitely is what is dumb.

We are not going to be anything like we were last season. We aren't replacing the guys who left. We are moving on from them.

If Macon comes back, he and Barford will no longer be our tallest perimeter players in the guard rotation.  We will have 2 guys who can legitimately play the 3 after not having ANYONE there this past season. The roster becomes much more athletic even at the 5 which is saying a lot given how athletic Mo was.

We have 5 guys coming back that started at least once not counting TT or Macon. Young guys will take steps forward over the summer just like they have the last 5 decades I have been watching basketball.

Next season was going to be a departure from this season's roster with or without Macon. We will be better if he comes back but we aren't falling off the edge if he doesn't.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 26, 2017, 02:36:12 am
Next season was going to be a departure from this season's roster with or without Macon. We will be better if he comes back but we aren't falling off the edge if he doesn't.

Hogs up! Covid down!

Youngsta71701

April 26, 2017, 01:18:33 pm #366 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:21:35 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 23, 2017, 02:23:44 pm

Macon has half of this guys game down as far as the no look passes in traffic and shooting threes off the bounce and off balance.  If he can just get some of the step back game and better handles he's there...
There is only one problem with this. There is a big difference between 6'3 shooting guard and 6'5 shooting guard. Trust me those two inches make a big difference in the NBA.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 25, 2017, 09:06:01 pm
Anyone have an ESPN insider account?

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/857040165168062465
30 NBA teams, 2 rounds of drafting, and 137 underclassmen in the draft. I'm not the smartest man in the world but those numbers don't add up for at least 77 of those kids. Not to mention I'm pretty sure a few seniors and a few players from overseas will be drafted.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 01:41:42 pm
30 NBA teams, 2 rounds of drafting, and 137 underclassmen in the draft. I'm not the smartest man in the world but those numbers don't add up for at least 77 of those kids. Not to mention I'm pretty sure a few seniors and a few players from overseas will be drafted.
agreed...was hoping someone with an insider account would fill us in on what was said about Macon and Barford.

jjdlc

Not everyone on that list expects to get drafted.  With the rule change a few years back, a lot of kids put their name in knowing full well they won't get drafted, they do so to get feedback on what aspects of their game they need to work on.  But yes, the numbers are not in any of their favor.

Hawg Red

Hold off until the deadline has passed and everyone just looking for feedback has gotten out before we talk about there being a problem.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 24, 2017, 04:28:05 pm
Sounds like you need a life.  All of you do.
They should rename the thread to this ^
I'll be glad when he finally decides so hogville can stop definitively making the decision for him
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hogdomer

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 26, 2017, 01:44:30 pm
agreed...was hoping someone with an insider account would fill us in on what was said about Macon and Barford.

Article says both will likely go undrafted.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2017, 02:33:43 pm
Hold off until the deadline has passed and everyone just looking for feedback has gotten out before we talk about there being a problem.
I didn't say there was a problem. I know exactly what's going on but the numbers are still crazy. The sad part is that some of these kids really do believe they will be drafted.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogsonHicks on April 25, 2017, 04:57:19 pm
Macon got exactly what he wanted with the tweet that launched this thread...attention.
We see ya Daryl Macon Buckets. We know you're a very important part to the success of this team. ;)

SONofHAM

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 26, 2017, 03:16:23 pm
Thank you.  I expected that but wanted a non-Razorback point of view.

reddawg213

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 26, 2017, 03:16:23 pm

Honestly, I think Macon is gone regardless. With people reporting he hasn't even been going to class, chances are he might not even be eligible next year. I hope that isn't true, but I'm not holding my breath.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 26, 2017, 08:04:54 pm
Honestly, I think Macon is gone regardless. With people reporting he hasn't even been going to class, chances are he might not even be eligible next year. I hope that isn't true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe, but then why not go ahead and sign with an agent?

Porked Tongue

The not "going to class" isn't correct in sum total.

Hogz87

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 01:18:33 pm
There is only one problem with this. There is a big difference between 6'3 shooting guard and 6'5 shooting guard. Trust me those two inches make a big difference in the NBA.
C.J. McCollum is 6'3".

In fact, that's his in-shoes height.  At the 2013 combine, he was measured just a hair over 6'2" w/o shoes and a hair over 6'3" with shoes.

latrops

Quote from: jjdlc on April 26, 2017, 02:23:46 pm
Not everyone on that list expects to get drafted.  With the rule change a few years back, a lot of kids put their name in knowing full well they won't get drafted, they do so to get feedback on what aspects of their game they need to work on.  But yes, the numbers are not in any of their favor.

This is repeated often, and I suppose it is even mostly true.  That said, I don't think "what they need to work on" is a mystery that only NBA scouts can figure out.  Is the feedback they get really that useful?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 26, 2017, 08:31:58 pm
C.J. McCollum is 6'3".

In fact, that's his in-shoes height.  At the 2013 combine, he was measured just a hair over 6'2" w/o shoes and a hair over 6'3" with shoes.

Thank you

hogsanity

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 03:46:20 pm
Is it just me, or do the Hogs have the worst luck/most drama regarding basketball prospect leaving early that end up not making it? Friggin ridiculous and agonizing. I wish they'd change the rule to 3 years like the rest of the sports already!  :puke:

Talk to the NBA, it is their rule. Baseball is not auto 3 yrs, you can go pro right out of HS. IT is only 3 years if you choose to go college.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 03:58:02 pm
It's such a stupid rule! It doesn't benefit anyone except for the NCAA making $$$ because there's high profile guys that are already good enough that get televised. And regarding baseball, I know, but obviously these guys already are in college. Still, between Qualls, the Monk situation and now Macon, just feels like we're cursed.

The NBA is the one that wanted the one and done rule. Too hard to evaluate players in high school. Would rather scout in college arenas and against college competition.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 03:58:02 pm
It's such a stupid rule! It doesn't benefit anyone except for the NCAA making $$$ because there's high profile guys that are already good enough that get televised. And regarding baseball, I know, but obviously these guys already are in college. Still, between Qualls, the Monk situation and now Macon, just feels like we're cursed.

Again, the ncaa is going to make their $$$$ regardless. The NBAPA wanted the rule because for every HS kid that gets drafted it was knocking a veteran off the roster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HamSammich

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 06:27:52 pm
Not true.  One and done has nothing to do with where scouts go to evaluate talent.  The rule is a result of the NBA owners and Players Association declaring that players must be 19 and one year removed from HS.  The rule was challenged in court but upheld.

fake news post....  hogsanity and iceman are correct.... use google and see the quotes from the players association.

reddawg213

11 mins ago . . . . Hmmm . . . . . . is an announcement forthcoming???

https://twitter.com/YoD4__/status/859944790439464963

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: reddawg213 on May 03, 2017, 08:49:10 pm

Either way an announcement is coming

Letsroll1200

If leaving early is where his heart is at he should go pro. Having someone on the team that really doesn't want to be there will eventually hurt team chemistry. I think he should leave. Maybe he can play with BJ Young in Hong Kong.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 03, 2017, 09:00:18 pm
If leaving early is where his heart is at he should go pro. Having someone on the team that really doesn't want to be there will eventually hurt team chemistry. I think he should leave. Maybe he can play with BJ Young in Hong Kong.

That's true, but honestly I would take a bad attitude guy that's our best shooter lol

Birminghog

Maybe this should be his theme song. Note: "You have helped me to believe in myself".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdbPI2eHRc

azhog10

Believing in himself could mean he's coming back to prove he deserves a shot in the NBA. I think leaving or coming back does not affect if he gets a chance overseas. Only changes the starting money.

colbs

Was he at the Hogspys tonight?

HardingHog

Quote from: colbs on May 03, 2017, 10:48:46 pm
Was he at the Hogspys tonight?

I'm not sure. I saw a photo posted by Manny and Macon wasn't in it. There's 9 guys in the picture
No Moses, Macon, Thomas, Dusty or Beard

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hawgmasta on May 03, 2017, 10:08:57 pm
That's true, but honestly I would take a bad attitude guy that's our best shooter lol

I rather have a great chemistry on the team and no me guys I'm the locker room. If Daryl feels that strong about leaving he should. You can't be productive in a marriage with someone that wants a divorce. Moses Kingsley struggled early in the season partly because of the NBA talk. This team has a lot of time to adjust and form a identity without Macon.

Pork Twain

Having one and dones that have zero chance of getting drafted is not a good way to build a solid core.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 04, 2017, 07:11:39 am
Having one and dones that have zero chance of getting drafted is not a good way to build a solid core.
I like Macon, but shooters in the NBA are a dime a dozen...if you are a shooter you almost can never miss....those 2 for 8 nights will get you cut quicker than a mongrel dog with his nuts who finds himself at the local dog shelter....Macon needs to come back one more year, raise his value, get drafted in the 2nd round and if that doesn't happen, believe me, all the foreign professional basketball leagues are going nowhere...Macon can ALWAYS go over there...the question is this, is Macon willing to wait a year at a legit shot to make the NBA or is he so ready for a paycheck that he's willing to play for the Tel Aviv Menschs for the rest of his basketball career ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

riccoar

If it's in his heart to go, then he needs to go.  I simply have zero clue what bargaining power a player has for an overseas squad when you are not even invited to the combine and not projected to be drafted by the NBA.

mizzouman

Overseas players can make good money and have a great career.  If a player knows that the NBA is not in the picture, then Europe is a good alternative.  Many players from the US go and have great careers, great lives and make great money.  More money than struggling in the D League.

azhog10

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 08:16:39 am
Overseas players can make good money and have a great career.  If a player knows that the NBA is not in the picture, then Europe is a good alternative.  Many players from the US go and have great careers, great lives and make great money.  More money than struggling in the D League.
Define good money. The average player salary overseas is not better than the D League salary.