Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will TJ Hammonds Break Felix Jones' YPC record?

Started by edemire, November 10, 2017, 11:12:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

This season Hammonds's yards per carry average is 10.4, which is obscenely good for a high-major Division I player. But can he break into any of the rankings below?

Top 3 Razorbacks of all-time in terms of per-carry yard average in a single season:

1. 8.74 Felix Jones (2007) (more than 10 rushes per game)

2. 8.00 Matt Jones (2001) (more than 9 rpg)

3. 7.74 Harry Jones (1965) (more than 8 rpg)

And here are the three SEC players of all-time in same category, according to Sports-Reference.com:

1. 9.20 Percy Harvin (2007) (more than 7.5 rpg)

2. 8.74 Felix Jones (2007) (more than 10 rpg)

3. 8.53 Ontario McCalebb (2010) (more than 6.7 reg)

Hammonds will need at least 6.5 carries a game to qualify for the record, but the math shows it's definitely in reach (w/ Bielema's playcalling blessing):

http://onlyinark.com/sports/t-j-hammonds-borderline-historic-season/

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

texas tush hog

That will probably drop exponentially after LSU

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: edemire on November 10, 2017, 11:12:20 am
This season Hammonds's yards per carry average is 10.4, which is obscenely good for a high-major Division I player. But can he break into any of the rankings below?

Top 3 Razorbacks of all-time in terms of per-carry yard average in a single season:

1. 8.74 Felix Jones (2007) (more than 10 rushes per game)

2. 8.00 Matt Jones (2001) (more than 9 rpg)

3. 7.74 Harry Jones (1965) (more than 8 rpg)

And here are the three SEC players of all-time in same category, according to Sports-Reference.com:

1. 9.20 Percy Harvin (2007) (more than 7.5 rpg)

2. 8.74 Felix Jones (2007) (more than 10 rpg)

3. 8.53 Ontario McCalebb (2010) (more than 6.7 reg)

Hammonds will need at least 6.5 carries a game to qualify for the record, but the math shows it's definitely in reach (w/ Bielema's playcalling blessing):

http://onlyinark.com/sports/t-j-hammonds-borderline-historic-season/

So, he roughly needs 7 rushes for 70 yards in each of the remaining games? I can see that happening.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

DemiHOG

edemire

More like roughly 10.6 carries and 80 yards in each of the last three games, according to the math I did for the piece.

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 11:26:30 am
So, he roughly needs 7 rushes for 70 yards in each of the remaining games? I can see that happening.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

PorkRinds

EastexHawg

No knock on T.J., but if on his first carry against LSU he is dropped in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, and if his next two carries result in no net gain, his per-carry average will drop to 9.11 and place him behind Harvin.

The fact that three carries could result in him going from smashing the record by 1.2 ypc to being behind the leader illustrates why it's too early to start comparing his season to others who played the entire year.  I remember several years ago someone in MLB hit two home runs in the season opener and one of the announcers joked, "If he keeps up this pace he will hit 324 homers and more than quadruple the existing major league record!"

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 10, 2017, 03:06:51 pm
No knock on T.J., but if on his first carry against LSU he is dropped in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, and if his next two carries result in no net gain, his per-carry average will drop to 9.11 and place him behind Harvin.

The fact that three carries could result in him going from smashing the record by 1.2 ypc to being behind the leader illustrates why it's too early to start comparing his season to others who played the entire year.  I remember several years ago someone in MLB hit two home runs in the season opener and one of the announcers joked, "If he keeps up this pace he will hit 324 homers and more than quadruple the existing major league record!"

Yep. He's not been an every down back. If he ever becomes one his Ypc will drop dramatically.