Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take it from an OU fan

Started by arkasooner, December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 30, 2017, 08:59:25 am
I hope Hogville's "brightest and best" get to read this.  Thank you!
Someone please read it to me!

Cinco de Hogo

Chicken Littles,

Just to put it out there, that's what I think of the fans in this thread falling all over in love with the great OP for taking the time to visit his wisdom form soonerland upon the dumbest fan base in the US.  Its almost like we can't think for ourselves...

What is this even about anyway?  Didn't we just fire a losing coach in an effort to better our program?  We didn't fire Switzer and put our program in the ditch for ten years, that was done by the previous AD and we fired his butt too.  Isn't the ideal behind both moved to unearth the hidden giant?   

Seems to me this thread is still all about the pro Long and Bielema crowd making fun of the fans that have been calling for some kind of leadership form the top that show a will the awake the sleeping giant.

So, I'm just saying all ya'll can stuff it.  Until i see YOU pushing like I and others have for better leadership that's goal is to win some sort of championship it all chicken little stuff to me.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Lanlord on December 30, 2017, 09:16:39 am
Two different camps here at Hogville.  One that thinks we can get Gruden, Saban, etc to come coach at Arkansas and the other camp who thinks nobody would want to come coach here.  The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Pretty sure there are three camps.  There are also those that are not overly optimistic but are willing to give things a chance and not bitch about every single move
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ridgehog23

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 30, 2017, 09:58:35 pm
Pretty sure there are three camps.  There are also those that are not overly optimistic but are willing to give things a chance and not bitch about every single move

+1000

Freebrd

hawgXi

"your problem is betwee your ears and in your chest cavity."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Agree!

growing up in oklahoma myself, it was obvious that OU coaches, players, and fans believed they would score on every play, win every game (texas was always marked with a "W" every season when the football schedule came ou), and win the national championship.

I noticed a big difference with hog fans while l went to school at the university.

A razorback football season was considered successful if we beat texas & went to a bowl game.

Imo, until or razorback coaches, players, and fan BELIEVE we can win every game and win a national championship, we'll find ourselves in the sam rut of being happy with 7-8-9 wins and a trip to the cotton bowl.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: arkasooner on December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am
I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

Listen to a voice of reason.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

I hope you will deserve it.

A rare good sooner fan.

I cannot stand oklahoma only because I live in oklahoma with a ton of arrogant sooners.

Good stuff though.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawgXi on December 31, 2017, 10:14:18 am

Agree!

growing up in oklahoma myself, it was obvious that OU coaches, players, and fans believed they would score on every play, win every game (texas was always marked with a "W" every season when the football schedule came ou), and win the national championship.

I noticed a big difference with hog fans while l went to school at the university.

A razorback football season was considered successful if we beat texas & went to a bowl game.

Imo, until or razorback coaches, players, and fan BELIEVE we can win every game and win a national championship, we'll find ourselves in the sam rut of being happy with 7-8-9 wins and a trip to the cotton bowl.

C'mon man...REALLY???  There's not a fan here on this board that couldn't see that we were an elite team under Petrino.  Yes, we lost to Bama and LSU when it mattered...most did at that time...but that showed that given the right coach, a good job with recruiting and developing, we CAN compete. 

Sorry man...I don't need an OU fan telling me to keep my chin up, suck it up as a fan, and BELIEVE more.  That's silly. 

We just saw last night what it's like when fans are EXCITED about the product.  The seats are full, and the fans are loud.  Arkansas supports a winner....that's how it has always been since 69 when I was born a Hog fan.  I'll die a Hog fan, and I'll be darned if I'm going to be talked down to by an OU Switzer loving fan.

"You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck."   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2017, 11:58:20 am
Piss off...see, you are the problem...you don't get to say who is or who isn't a Hog fan...so freaking ironic..There is not a team I hate more than OU, but what he says about us is spot on. You can poo poo it because it was said by an enemy, but it is correct.

Haha...coming from you, that's comical.  You root for the team...or you don't.  If the coaches aren't performing, you voice it.  You're one of the most critical people on this board!  That's the irony. 

Let me ask you this.  Do you NEED an OU fan to come tell you that our fan base should be more united?  Because for the entire BB timeframe, you were negative.  How does THAT equate to being all in and expecting to win, and fans changing the entire attitude of the program?  I can answer for you...it DOESN'T. 

We made a bad hire...it's time to move on.  I don't need an OU fan telling me that, and frankly...I can't believe some of you are lapping this up.  That post is condescending, patronizing, and I have NEVER felt defeatest even in our worst days.  BB did what he could here, it wasn't enough, and he's gone.  Just like EVERY other program, like Florida for example, you aren't immune to bringing in a coach that doesn't work out. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 12247 on December 30, 2017, 07:15:50 pm
I've complained post after post about our problems being much more rooted in upper management than most believe.  We've had 30 years of piss poor leadership above the AD level.  I don't know why.  I feel sure that those I am talking about were mostly very good people.   

My favorite football team reminds me of the recent commercial that stresses the Settlers.  We typically SETTLE for far less than decent and appear OK with that.  This Bielema mess is just the latest concrete around the ankles of this program.  Nutt was little better if at all.  Both HCs did far more harm to the program than good.  Neither of these coaches should have ever been hired.    We keep hiring get in the way type personnel that cost us far more in the long haul than just the wasted money we spent directly on them.  Our program is currently not even a top 40 program.  This is where failing to manage at the top led us.

We let a fellow full of integrity and good intentions hire Bret.  We could have chosen a local Nun to do the same job.  She may have considered the hire much deeper than the fellow that did the hire.

Dude...LET IT GO.  JL hired Petrino too.  That's all that needs to be said.  You are looking to point the finger at ANYONE but the fans. 

That dude just posted that the blame is on the FANS, our lack of BELIEF, and that we should support the team and be loyal through it all.  Yet here you are...acting like you LOVE his post, but then posting in direct opposition to it!! 

When it goes well...people are happy, just like OU was for so many years right?  It's EASY to sit on a pedestal as a fan of that program, and talk down to the UA.  That's what he did...and we're the fans over here showing up when we're LOSING. 

It was a bad hire.  It failed.  A LOT of people, myself included, thought it would fail.  We WANTED to believe it would work out, but it didn't.  There were plenty on here who NEVER wavered in their consistent belief that we would fail under BB, and they are the ones on here PUFFING OUT THEIR CHESTS.  Really? 

So...explain to me how you want it to be?  Good coach...we win..fans show up, everyone is happy.  How many wins does that take? 

Bad coach...we lose.  Get on Hogville and tell everyone to stay home, because we need a better coach. 

Isn't that about how it plays out?  Show me how that's not EXACTLY how it plays out on Hogville. 

In the real world...fans go to the games, hope we win, aren't miserable when we lose, but prefer to win.  As losing accrues, they stay home, and eventually the PTB make changes.  That's the REAL WORLD of Arkansas football. 

And...I don't need a Sooner fan, who a big part of their tradition started back when cheating was RAMPANT and DOCUMENTED under Switzer, to tell me not to be down on our program, and not to be ENVIOUS of his. 

I'm sorry...I will NEVER feel that way. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:51:54 am
Haha...coming from you, that's comical.  You root for the team...or you don't.  If the coaches aren't performing, you voice it.  You're one of the most critical people on this board!  That's the irony. 

Let me ask you this.  Do you NEED an OU fan to come tell you that our fan base should be more united?  Because for the entire BB timeframe, you were negative.  How does THAT equate to being all in and expecting to win, and fans changing the entire attitude of the program?  I can answer for you...it DOESN'T. 

We made a bad hire...it's time to move on.  I don't need an OU fan telling me that, and frankly...I can't believe some of you are lapping this up.  That post is condescending, patronizing, and I have NEVER felt defeatest even in our worst days.  BB did what he could here, it wasn't enough, and he's gone.  Just like EVERY other program, like Florida for example, you aren't immune to bringing in a coach that doesn't work out. 

I blew past this guy being an OU fan and read what he said about fickle fans and poor-mouthing and Arkansas's potential. It's all true, and, I think, the same things you and I and others have said here for years. The fact that it comes from an outsider only makes it more convincing, in my opinion.

The only place he lost me was at the end. I haven't seen anyone here expressing jealousy or hatred of OU or Switzer. Most of us don't pay any attention to them.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Redhogs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:51:54 am

That was 3 paragraphs about nothing. An OU fan made some statements about our football program that I agree with..it wasn't solicited by me or anyone else.  As far as being negative about BB, yes I was and we all see how that turned out. I just want to be a winning program again, we all have different opinions about different things, nothing wrong with that. I don't have any opinion about CCM and his success here, we'll have to wait and see, but I think we should EXPECT him to win, that's his job.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 31, 2017, 11:12:36 am
I blew past this guy being an OU fan and read what he said about fickle fans and poor-mouthing and Arkansas's potential. It's all true, and, I think, the same things you and I and others have said here for years. The fact that it comes from an outsider only makes it more convincing, in my opinion.

The only place he lost me was at the end. I haven't seen anyone here expressing jealousy or hatred of OU or Switzer. Most of us don't pay any attention to them.

I guess I made more of the end of the post than some, but for me...it made the whole thing come across as sour.  Notice that he hasn't been back....   I also question the thread header..."Take it from an OU fan...."  Yeah, well, no thanks. 

If people want to think that was eloquently stated, and a perfect depiction of our circumstances, then that's fine.  I disagree...and I'm fine with that. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 11:27:00 am
I guess I made more of the end of the post than some, but for me...it made the whole thing come across as sour.  Notice that he hasn't been back....   I also question the thread header..."Take it from an OU fan...."  Yeah, well, no thanks. 

If people want to think that was eloquently stated, and a perfect depiction of our circumstances, then that's fine.  I disagree...and I'm fine with that. 

You don't disagree with the premise that Arkansas has seriously underachieved for over 25 years, do you?  Or that we have the potential - including facilities, environment and recruiting base - to return to a powerful program with the right head coach?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Redhogs on December 31, 2017, 11:15:24 am
That was 3 paragraphs about nothing. An OU fan made some statements about our football program that I agree with..it wasn't solicited by me or anyone else.  As far as being negative about BB, yes I was and we all see how that turned out. I just want to be a winning program again, we all have different opinions about different things, nothing wrong with that. I don't have any opinion about CCM and his success here, we'll have to wait and see, but I think we should EXPECT him to win, that's his job.

The OP was about nothing man.  It was "Take it from an OU fan..." I know what's best for you.  You need to unite as a fan base, believe you're better, and be loyal.  That will permeate everything, and you'll win more.  Yeah....easy to say coming from a program with multiple NC's, and an established recruiting base on TX where kids enter 8th grade dreaming of being a Sooner rather than a Longhorn. 

To some on HV, expecting better means immediately denigrating the coach when we lose, telling people not to show up, and making every effort to exert negative influence, even if it's nothing more than what they type here on the board.  And the irony is, it's those fans that are LOVING the OU fan's post.  The same guys who suggest NOT showing up is how to make changes. 

I knew from my first post this would be a pointless endeavor.  Some fans believe they exert influence by typing on Hogville.  Reality?  People show up, plow through a hot dog or two, drink a Pepsi or hot chocolate...and hope something cool happens.  Maybe we win...maybe we lose, but it doesn't define them.  They are there for entertainment.  When the entertainment ceases and nothing cool happens, they stay home.  That's how it works.  The empty seats last year WERE NOT because Hogville inluenced everyone into staying home.  People just get tired of losing, and the results are what we saw last year. 

And ALL of that happened, because we hired the wrong coach.  Not maliciously with a desire to fail for the sake of integrity, as some here suggest.     

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 31, 2017, 11:32:18 am
You don't disagree with the premise that Arkansas has seriously underachieved for over 25 years, do you?  Or that we have the potential - including facilities, environment and recruiting base - to return to a powerful program with the right head coach?

Petrino proved that we can compete at the highest level...at least on occasion. 

Cinco de Hogo

In Arkansas situation I disagree that it's the fans that make the difference in a winning tradition, decisions at the top has been disastrous for 30 years.  Now, it's a fact that a lot of fans have gotten sick and tired of it.  I doubt soonerman know diddle about that.

Chorizo Hogriguez

opineonswine

Quote from: hawgXi on December 31, 2017, 10:14:18 am

Agree!

That's the way we used to feel in basketball.  Hope it's returning.

PonderinHog

Hugo Bezdek

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

I agree with just about everything you say here and have thought a lot of it myself. From my perspective, a lot of Arkansas fans have suffered from a serious lack of pride for some time now. For some it's become a belief that we don't belong in the upper tiers of college football. For others, they've become so jaded that they complain about everything. To me the biggest difference between OU and Arkansas the last 20+ years has been coaching hires. After Gibbs and Blake failures at OU you guys hired Stoops, who proved to be a winner, whereas after Crowe and Ford we hired Nutt, who proved to be thoroughly mediocre, and inexplicably was nearly impossible to fire. If we had hired Tommy Tuberville instead of Nutt, or Butch Davis when Nutt wasn't fired for back-to-back losing seasons, or if Bobby Petrino hadn't self-destructed, we'd be having very different conversations about Arkansas football right now. Coaching matters. People like to blame the level of competition in the SEC for our problems the last 25 years, or lack of in-state talent, but our issues have absolutely been the result of Coaching. I believe we have everything else in place to succeed.

Myself, I'm very optimistic about what Chad Morris brings to the table and I'm hopeful he can be the next Bob Stoops in terms of getting us back on track. Unfortunately a number of people have given up hope and others are just pissed, and the only thing that's going to cure all that is winning.

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 11:37:34 am
The OP was about nothing man.  It was "Take it from an OU fan..." I know what's best for you.  You need to unite as a fan base, believe you're better, and be loyal.  That will permeate everything, and you'll win more.  Yeah....easy to say coming from a program with multiple NC's, and an established recruiting base on TX where kids enter 8th grade dreaming of being a Sooner rather than a Longhorn. 

To some on HV, expecting better means immediately denigrating the coach when we lose, telling people not to show up, and making every effort to exert negative influence, even if it's nothing more than what they type here on the board.  And the irony is, it's those fans that are LOVING the OU fan's post.  The same guys who suggest NOT showing up is how to make changes. 

I knew from my first post this would be a pointless endeavor.  Some fans believe they exert influence by typing on Hogville.  Reality?  People show up, plow through a hot dog or two, drink a Pepsi or hot chocolate...and hope something cool happens.  Maybe we win...maybe we lose, but it doesn't define them.  They are there for entertainment.  When the entertainment ceases and nothing cool happens, they stay home.  That's how it works.  The empty seats last year WERE NOT because Hogville inluenced everyone into staying home.  People just get tired of losing, and the results are what we saw last year. 

And ALL of that happened, because we hired the wrong coach.  Not maliciously with a desire to fail for the sake of integrity, as some here suggest.     

I don't think anyone here seriously thinks Hogville influences anything. The closest it has come to being a factor was with Nutt. But, because of its numbers, Hogville is a barometer that reflects the feelings of a broad section of the fanbase. That is all it is - a barometer.

Melancholy_Pigg

Well - I think we know Hogville clearly has no influence with the Arkansas State AG. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 31, 2017, 11:12:36 am

I'll say it, I hate OU. I lived and worked in Oklahoma and can't stand them and their smugness and cheating ways. It was about the only state I have lived and worked in that I was actually glad to get out of. That being said it's like all states and does have some good people and some interesting areas but for the most part it's blah. ALL programs have some fickle fans, especially when they aren't doing well. That includes OU. We don't need a damn sooner telling us how we should be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 30, 2017, 08:47:29 am
Were you just wanting to get curb stomped on Hogville!!?? These people know not what you speak of!!! And a first post?? Seek cover!!

haaaaa! Funny.
Correct as well. I thought it was good, but they're going to eat you OU dude. Lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

racinghog

You think we have hired the right head coach?

Redhogs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 11:38:41 am
Petrino proved that we can compete at the highest level...at least on occasion.
Well...we finally agree.

DeltaBoy

I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

Listen to a voice of reason.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

I agree and if not for John BOY White and the Carpet Bagger Long we would be n better shape!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

liljo

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Sidvicious

HAWG MAFIA

Quote from: Hog Waller on December 30, 2017, 09:21:32 am
Great post...which is my beef with the OP.

I hate it when an outsider comes in and makes HV look like a bunch of simpleton idiots.
Doesn't take much

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 01, 2018, 08:35:00 am
I'll say it, I hate OU. I lived and worked in Oklahoma and can't stand them and their smugness and cheating ways. It was about the only state I have lived and worked in that I was actually glad to get out of. That being said it's like all states and does have some good people and some interesting areas but for the most part it's blah. ALL programs have some fickle fans, especially when they aren't doing well. That includes OU. We don't need a damn sooner telling us how we should be.

I have nothing against Oklahoma, but it tickled me when they lost. Never have liked the Sooners.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 01, 2018, 09:38:35 pm
I have nothing against Oklahoma, but it tickled me when they lost. Never have liked the Sooners.

Never liked them never will. I hated living and working there. I will admit to going there to work with not liking them before that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

secfan30

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 30, 2017, 08:54:09 am
Go preach  on the OU board..... we will hate on OU all we want.

You caused my brain to bleed...

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Chorizo Hogriguez on December 31, 2017, 11:41:09 am
go Georgia!
Doubt if I watch ANY of it. KS is goofy and NSATAN is a sa. Don't care either way.  :puke: :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

The Kig

Normally I see the "Holy Wall of Text" and immediately skim into TL;DR mode.  Glad I didn't with this one.  Great post.  Couldn't agree more.   

Winners are made.  Champions are forged in fire.  Being a loser is easy.  Too bad some just always take the easy way out. 
Poker Porker

HeyHogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 30, 2017, 08:50:51 am
Well I guess it's time to go for awhile. Someone deleted a post of mine that was not even close to being as bad as others I've read. I thought we could have a little fun in the off season. Guess not anymore.
Some of us are assigned an algorithm that automatically puts our posts in file 13.  Welcome to the club. :)

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:17:07 am
A rare good sooner fan.

I cannot stand oklahoma only because I live in oklahoma with a ton of arrogant sooners.

Good stuff though.

I, too, live in Oklahoma and have looked at their program's return to relevance as the model.  OU goes to Shreveport and loses their bowl game in Stoops' first year.

They win the whole thing the next season.

A fast turnaround is possible.  We have seen it.  It can happen in Fayetteville.

LZH

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 02, 2018, 09:32:23 am
I, too, live in Oklahoma and have looked at their program's return to relevance as the model.  OU goes to Shreveport and loses their bowl game in Stoops' first year.

They win the whole thing the next season.

A fast turnaround is possible.  We have seen it.  It can happen in Fayetteville.

Yep. Holtz' first year. Nutt's first year. Petrino had us in good shape by year three. It happens.

Sportsguy

Get what OP was saying, but can we talk about the elephant in the room? OU has massive recruiting advantage. They are 2.5 hrs from DFW and are in a state that produces more D1 talent. Not to mention in a metropolitan area that has grown 20+ percent in last two decades. Just throwing that out there. Logistically speaking they are at a huge advantage.

Redhogs

Quote from: Sportsguy on January 07, 2018, 04:36:27 am
Get what OP was saying, but can we talk about the elephant in the room? OU has massive recruiting advantage. They are 2.5 hrs from DFW and are in a state that produces more D1 talent. Not to mention in a metropolitan area that has grown 20+ percent in last two decades. Just throwing that out there. Logistically speaking they are at a huge advantage.
Not really...

Inhogswetrust

The ONLY recruiting advantage they have is closer to Tejas. The recruiting within Oklahoma is divided between them and OSU and to some degree others. The last time I checked OSU generally signed more players from within the state than OU did. They also have started to sign a good number from Tejas just like OU does. there are a lto of good players in Tejas. Enough so that that schools in other states can sign good ones and not just Oklahoma schools either.

tusksincolorado

January 07, 2018, 11:11:04 am #143 Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:28:12 am by tusksincolorado

Which absolutely amazes me that OKC has become a "Metropolitan area".

Its a cesspool that gets wiped out every few Springs.  You have to wonder why anybody would want to live there?!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HawgTide

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 01, 2018, 09:39:53 pm
Never liked them never will. I hated living and working there. I will admit to going there to work with not liking them before that.

I hated living there too. They made three bad hires after Switzer. OU fans were a lot more tolerable when Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger or John Blake was the head coach.