Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some recruiting info on Arkansas' new RB coach

Started by The Recruiting Guy, February 25, 2015, 12:53:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

younghog

GO HOGS

ricepig

Thanks, but I'll wait to read Wildhog's take on his recruiting........ 8)

The_Boot_stops_here

for him to be true upgrade over JT, recruiting is where it is at

Kenny Hawgins

I may be missing something but it doesn't appear that Jeff Carr was very highly recruited at all.  Tape looks good but no other major offers and rated a 2* or 3* by all services.  Grades?
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on February 25, 2015, 02:06:41 pm
I may be missing something but it doesn't appear that Jeff Carr was very highly recruited at all.  Tape looks good but no other major offers and rated a 2* or 3* by all services.  Grades?
I was going to mention the same thing.  He had dang good stats, good speed and the film is solid but he wasnt highly recruited.  Grades werent a problem...mainly size.  5-7 or so and 170 lbs. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

I'm not sure how to take this update??  2 of his top targets were kids he didn't sign- RW3 and a kid that went to TT and the other was a 2* on Scout, Rivals and 247 without any other offers

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 25, 2015, 02:36:57 pm
I'm not sure how to take this update??  2 of his top targets were kids he didn't sign- RW3 and a kid that went to TT and the other was a 2* on Scout, Rivals and 247 without any other offers

I think he's pointing out that he has a connection with a current hog commit. 

jackflash

We are probably going two RB to the NFL this year.  Won't take long to find what kind of recruiter he is. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: jackflash on February 25, 2015, 02:59:59 pm
We are probably going two RB to the NFL this year.  Won't take long to find what kind of recruiter he is.

Unless Collins reaches like 1500 yards, he will stay. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 25, 2015, 02:36:57 pm

Consider that OSU had their "hat on the table" for several elite RBs last year. They lured a high-end RB (from GA, I think) late in the game. RB pipeline to the NFL. Hard to argue with the recruiting prowess.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PorkRinds

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 25, 2015, 03:15:20 pm
Consider that OSU had their "hat on the table" for several elite RBs last year. They lured a high-end RB (from GA, I think) late in the game. RB pipeline to the NFL. Hard to argue with the recruiting prowess.

They also had a stud RB decommit at the last minute, and were able to scramble to replace him with someone almost as highly rated.  I'm not too worried about his recruiting, I think he'll be fine.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 25, 2015, 03:20:48 pm
They also had a stud RB decommit at the last minute, and were able to scramble to replace him with someone almost as highly rated.  I'm not too worried about his recruiting, I think he'll be fine.

Yeah, had Jones not pulled a KJ. We may feel very different about his recruiting abilities.

Hawgzinbowlz

Coach Singleton should, at the least, match Coach Thomas recruiting ability.

Quite likely an upgrade.

" GO HOGS "

philobeddoe

Hard for me to base his recruiting ability on the number of stars that HIS recruits had coming out of high school. I prefer to judge by how those players performed in college (on AND off the field). It's no secret that our past success has been pretty much determined by how many "diamonds in the rough" we are able to identify and sign over how many highly rated recruits we sign. Highly rated recruits are always nice to have, but remember, CBB places more value on character and work ethic. If those "Uncommon" type recruits that CBB and staff are after have a high star rating, it's just gravy.
JMHO

redeye

One thing I like is that he has experience in most of the areas where we recruit (e.g. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana and even Georgia.)  I don't know how much experience, but those are all areas where he has recruited.

Sione Palelei is a 247 4-star RB that Singleton signed out of Louisiana in 2014.  I know we offered him, but I don't recall if we just got beat or what.

Oklahawg

Quote from: redeye on February 25, 2015, 05:58:04 pm
One thing I like is that he has experience in most of the areas where we recruit (e.g. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana and even Georgia.)  I don't know how much experience, but those are all areas where he has recruited.

Sione Palelei is a 247 4-star RB that Singleton signed out of Louisiana in 2014.  I know we offered him, but I don't recall if we just got beat or what.

OSU beat Arkansas on the recruiting trail more than Hog fans would like to acknowledge. We've not gone head-to-head as much under CBB as under Petrino, FWIW.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 25, 2015, 03:51:32 pm
Coach Singleton should, at the least, match Coach Thomas recruiting ability.

Quite likely an upgrade.

" GO HOGS "

He fits with what Bielema wants to do in terms of a deep dive into the character of players. Having been at Air Force, he has had experience with the need for this and has a pretty good notion of the character that Bielema is looking for, and having been at Oklahoma State he knows what a pretty good RB at the P-5 level should look like from the standpoint of athletic ability.

We will know in time as to how good he really is, but I think this could be a very good and perhaps initially underrated hire. We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2015, 06:57:32 pm
...We will know in time as to how good he really is, but I think this could be a very good and perhaps initially underrated hire. We will see.

His coaching video shows an individual who is both positive and holding the players accountable. The R&W won't show much but I'm ready to see both the spring game and open practices beforehand. Coach Singleton and Enos will both get thorough scrutiny.

" GO HOGS "

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 25, 2015, 06:40:24 pm
OSU beat Arkansas on the recruiting trail more than Hog fans would like to acknowledge. We've not gone head-to-head as much under CBB as under Petrino, FWIW.

I agree, and OSU has recruited some good players, so I'd like to see that change.  I'm not sure he wants credit for Tyreek Hill, but you have to think he had something to do with OSU signing him, as their RB coach, also.  I don't know if we just got beat with Hill, or decided he wasn't uncommon and dodged a bullet, but he was electrifying to watch.

I forgot to mention the biggest thing I like about Singleton and that's his ability to prevent fumbles.  I don't know how much of that is owed to him, but I just checked and OSU has been among the best in the Fumbles Lost stat over the past few years.

Muskliketusk

A lotta his guys were dismissed from the team. I don't know about what kinda character kids he recruits, but them Pokes are glad he's gone. Think there top back had 700 yards last season and two RBs he recruited were dismissed. Ain't gonna fly on the Hill.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

southeasthog

Quote from: Muskliketusk on February 26, 2015, 01:11:00 am
A lotta his guys were dismissed from the team. I don't know about what kinda character kids he recruits, but them Pokes are glad he's gone. Think there top back had 700 yards last season and two RBs he recruited were dismissed. Ain't gonna fly on the Hill.
That lays square at the feet of Gundy. You recruit and sign who the head coach tells you to. State has had their fair share of head cases over the years, not just at the RB position.

RazorBassin

I think it is telling where this program is when we are pulling coaches away from other P5 schools to coach the exact position they are already coaching.  His recruiting prowess as well as player development will play out in the next 2-3 years.  I think we ended up with a better coach than we had before, but that is just me using the history of other CBB hires to take a guess at the future. 

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorBassin on February 26, 2015, 08:23:32 am
I think it is telling where this program is when we are pulling coaches away from other P5 schools to coach the exact position they are already coaching.  His recruiting prowess as well as player development will play out in the next 2-3 years.  I think we ended up with a better coach than we had before, but that is just me using the history of other CBB hires to take a guess at the future. 

We'll know his recruiting prowess after next February.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

nonoffensiveposter

HOLY SMOKES! This guy not only recruits high school kids, but evidently he makes offers too! EXCELLENT hire! :o