Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whitt, Kapita, who's next on Mike's list?

Started by billmontgomery10, February 19, 2015, 05:14:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

billmontgomery10

I'm wondering who Anderson is still after for the 2015 basketball class. With Harris and Madden graduating and Portis and Qualls weighing the NBA after this year, there are still some scholarships available. Most of the top players have already signed but I'm wondering if there are still some big men out there because I cringe about thinking of Kingsley and Thompson prowling the paint. Jacori will get added minutes next year but hopefully there is a 6-10, 6-11 guy out there still with talent.

Big Nasty 34

Shouldn't we need more of a 6'5-7" wing guy? Kapita fills the big guy role I feel like

FATHAWG08

February 19, 2015, 06:44:11 pm #2 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:08:21 pm by FATHAWG08
Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 19, 2015, 05:14:20 pm
I'm wondering who Anderson is still after for the 2015 basketball class. With Harris and Madden graduating and Portis and Qualls weighing the NBA after this year, there are still some scholarships available. Most of the top players have already signed but I'm wondering if there are still some big men out there because I cringe about thinking of Kingsley and Thompson prowling the paint. Jacori will get added minutes next year but hopefully there is a 6-10, 6-11 guy out there still with talent.
We need  a long, athletic  Guard/ Forward  type who can create shots for himself & others. Is that to much to ask for?
I love off season Football!!

Ugly Uncle

I like Biggie Goldman from Lincoln.  6'9 and has a great outside shot.  Runs the floor well.  He is getting interest from big time programs.  Would love to see him in a Hog uniform.
Retired Radio Host

tophawg19

Dusty HANNAHS will provide the shooter we need . Also i think Kingsley makes a major improvement next year . he is just learning the game
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

mbgrulz

Who's scholarships are some of you wanting to revoke? We are full as it stands right now.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 19, 2015, 06:49:17 pm
I like Biggie Goldman from Lincoln.  6'9 and has a great outside shot.  Runs the floor well.  He is getting interest from big time programs.  Would love to see him in a Hog uniform.
The interest is likely the type of interest where they want you...if this guy, this guy, and that guy don't commit.

He's a mid-major player IMO. Nice skill for his size, but wouldn't fit into this system IYAM.

Also, I would just have a really hard time taking a kid from a small NWA school. Has that ever worked out for us?

Slimac4

Id love him as a walkon...

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Scott7703

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 19, 2015, 07:14:25 pm
Who's scholarships are some of you wanting to revoke? We are full as it stands right now.

You thinking Portis stays?

CDBHawg

Revoke nobody's.

But you have to keep recruiting. You can't say you're done just because you have 2 seniors and 2 commits.

It's college basketball, players leave early all the time.

hawg1221

So what are you going to say?? "Sorry. We have no room for you, but we're going to recruit you anyway. Please give us coaches a chance to waste your time."

husker71

I understand Maryland scouts were in town looking at Goldman.

CDBHawg

February 19, 2015, 09:40:23 pm #13 Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:32:57 pm by CDBHawg
Quote from: hawg1221 on February 19, 2015, 09:09:00 pm
So what are you going to say?? "Sorry. We have no room for you, but we're going to recruit you anyway. Please give us coaches a chance to waste your time."

No, you don't say that. You attend games, send mail, etc. You recruit them.

bigred223

Mike needs to recruit Michael qualls and Bobby Portis.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigred223 on February 20, 2015, 09:31:25 am
Mike needs to recruit Michael qualls and Bobby Portis.

I doubt he's thought of that yet.

hawginbigd1

IMO there is a good chance Qualls or Portis leaves maybe both, I hope neither. I believe you have to sign at least one more wing or big, i would prefer a Qualls type player 6'6" who can shoot and handle. If neither of them leave then you don't renew Miles Scholarship. He has been in a D1 program for 4 years and can't take PT away from someone who has played very poor BB for over a month now, except in one game where the other 4's/bigs were in foul trouble. Sounds cold but such is life, he should be close to graduating and he would be able to transfer to anyone that wants him. I would rather have a freshman that can play a bit role and gain experience next year so when we have to sign 5 or 6 newcomers the following year, we would have another someone with experience already. This is a 2017 big picture idea.

hawginbigd1

hogfan870

I really hope he stays, but I can't imagine that Portis will be back. 

Uncle SI

Melvin Frazier will be the next to commit. Really like his style of play, long small forward. HUGE upside
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

jry04

Danny West had an update on Frazier, but not sure what he said because it is on a pay board. Would be another huge pickup.

onebadrubi

Portis loves the hogs too much to not keep Mike in the loop on what he's thinking about going pro.  He may not honestly know his decision right now, but I bet they talk about it once a week or so.  Mike at this point has to recruit as if Portis is leaving, as well as trying to get Portis to stay one more year

Blutoblutarsky

Lincoln? As in Wolves? In Arkansas? NYJMSU

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: jry04 on February 20, 2015, 11:15:06 am
Danny West had an update on Frazier, but not sure what he said because it is on a pay board. Would be another huge pickup.

Basically just saying that we're still keeping in touch amd that somebody would have to leave before we could bring him on board.

The_Bionic_Pig

50/50 Portis leaves
70/30 Qualls stays

(My opinion)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 21, 2015, 01:23:42 pm
50/50 Portis leaves
70/30 Qualls stays

(My opinion)

57% chance your numbers are wrong. (My opinion)

billmontgomery10

There's a 6-11 power forward named Macam Macam who is a 4 star and still unsigned. He is a juco class of 2015 kid who was once on the Hog's radar. Anyone know anything about him or if the Hogs are still looking at him?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Macam-Macam-168382

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 21, 2015, 01:23:42 pm
50/50 Portis leaves
70/30 Qualls stays

(My opinion)

Both percentages are 10-12 percentage points off.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

mhuff

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 19, 2015, 08:47:53 pm
Revoke nobody's.

But you have to keep recruiting. You can't say you're done just because you have 2 seniors and 2 commits.

It's college basketball, players leave early all the time.

mhuff

February 21, 2015, 07:35:13 pm #29 Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:14:40 pm by mhuff
Quote from: hawg1221 on February 19, 2015, 09:09:00 pm

You have to continue to recruit. You can't have a player leave and then tell the player you want," We didn't show you any love because we thought we were full. The player would tell you, " While you weren't showing me any love, everyone else was." You have to protect the program..... and if you get the right player, "The numbers always work themselves out."

jseinfeld50

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 21, 2015, 06:17:53 pm
There's a 6-11 power forward named Macam Macam who is a 4 star and still unsigned. He is a juco class of 2015 kid who was once on the Hog's radar. Anyone know anything about him or if the Hogs are still looking at him?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Macam-Macam-168382

Good prospect and athlete but it appears the downside is he has a disability (deaf) and that might slightly affect his number of offers.

pimphog

Quote from: Uncle SI on February 20, 2015, 11:03:51 am
Melvin Frazier will be the next to commit. Really like his style of play, long small forward. HUGE upside

do we seriously have a shot in landing this kid? He reminds me of Monk

Danny J

Chief Mac

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on February 21, 2015, 06:24:09 pm
Both percentages are 10-12 percentage points off.

but 60% of the time, they're right all the time
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

cbhawg03

Have to get RD to confirm, but if I am remembering correctly, he said that he has heard Portis is going to stay another year.

WriterWrong

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on February 19, 2015, 05:14:20 pm
Portis weighing the NBA after this year and Qualls staying on the Hill or going to play in Serbia

I think this is what you meant to say.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cbhawg03 on February 23, 2015, 12:14:59 pm
Have to get RD to confirm, but if I am remembering correctly, he said that he has heard Portis is going to stay another year.

Don't put much stock into that. Of course Bobby isn't going to hint or even question leaving right now. He's all about this season. Once it ends tho, we will get out answer.

cbhawg03

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2015, 01:15:23 pm
Don't put much stock into that. Of course Bobby isn't going to hint or even question leaving right now. He's all about this season. Once it ends tho, we will get out answer.

Don't disagree, was just throwing it out there.

Pork Twain

Portis and Qualls are going to make like Big Nasty and Scotty
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mbgrulz

Quote from: pimphog on February 22, 2015, 03:01:34 pm
do we seriously have a shot in landing this kid? He reminds me of Monk
Wow seriously?

Not even close to the same type players.

Danny J

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 23, 2015, 04:15:32 pm
Portis and Qualls are going to make like Big Nasty and Scotty
I wouldn't be so sure......I could easily picture both coming back especially Qualls if we don't at least make the round of 32 or sweet 16. Remember that Corliss and Scotty accomplished what they set out to do and also that Stewart and Beck were graduating. Portis loves the UofA and understands what it means to have a legacy here at the UofA. As a matter of fact after the Ole Miss game I heard Qualls speak of legacy and what it would mean to him to be able to do that at a program like Arkansas. So they are not gone.....yet.

hollywood hog

Pork Twain

February 24, 2015, 07:43:33 am #42 Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:42:42 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Danny J on February 23, 2015, 10:40:59 pm
I wouldn't be so sure......I could easily picture both coming back especially Qualls if we don't at least make the round of 32 or sweet 16. Remember that Corliss and Scotty accomplished what they set out to do and also that Stewart and Beck were graduating. Portis loves the UofA and understands what it means to have a legacy here at the UofA. As a matter of fact after the Ole Miss game I heard Qualls speak of legacy and what it would mean to him to be able to do that at a program like Arkansas. So they are not gone.....yet.
Money versus staying with the risk of injury is a hard decision.  I love the Hogs, but that would be a hard decision for me.  Hell, I love the Air Force, over 20 in but if someone told me they would double my salary and lock me up for several years, I would walk away for my family.  These guys are getting "offered" the promise of millions after making nothing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Danny J

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 24, 2015, 07:43:33 am
Money versus staying with the risk of injury is a hard decision.  I love the Hogs, but that would be a hard decision for me.  Hell, I love the Air Force, over 20 in but if someone told me they would double my salary and lock me up for several years, I would walk away for my family.  These guys are getting "offered" the promise of millions after making nothing.
It would be a hard decision for you or I and we are just fans. Remember he is 20 and is actually living something we could only have dreamed about....playing for the Hogs. I wouldn't blame him for leaving just pointing out that I could see him staying.

1990sHogBallChild

I am not trying to bash a kid but the 1-4A is the league Lincoln is in. That league is down and Lincoln finished 5-9 in league play. An SEC caliber player would lead your team to a top 2 or 3 finish no matter who your teammates are in that league. I just don't see the hoopla. Secondly, they say he gets tired in games. How in the world could you play up tempo in the SEC then.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: cbhawg03 on February 23, 2015, 12:14:59 pm
No way he stays if he comes off the board picks 1 Thur 15

intelligence

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on February 24, 2015, 03:53:24 pm
No way he stays if he comes off the board picks 1 Thur 15

just imagine:

beard
whitt
qualls
kapita
portis

k.c.hawg

Last year, pick #14 was guaranteed $4 million for his first 2 years. However, the team has to pick up or decline the 3rd year option after the player has only had one year in the system so for most mid first rounders that is a formality. So bump the guarantee to $7 million. Likewise the option for the 4th year has to be picked up or declined at the end of the players 2nd year.....if they pick that up, guaranteed money is $10 million.

To me there is nothing better than a college education that will last a lifetime. The one exception I would make would be if I could secure my future by the age of 24. Today, a good coach does not recruit a kid to stay, if leaving makes more sense. The RF will always pay for you to go back to school. As selfish as I would like to be and see BP in a Hog uniform next year, I would think he was making a huge mistake coming back if he was in the Top 15 picks.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

The_Bionic_Pig

To answer the OP's question Melvin Frazier (SF) assuming this guard heavy team has a transfer occur after the tourney.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

psooie

I wonder what kind of insurance policy he could get. I would bet portis at age 35 after a long NBA career and big money would greatly regret missing his last 2 years in college. The huge risk is would something happen in those last 2 years to end the NBA career