Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB recruiting in 2015. Who are our top 2015 targets?

Started by nwahogfan1, February 19, 2015, 11:04:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

I think last week or so Mike made some contacts and found out Portis is a lock for a top 15 pick.  This info was passed over to Portis and he is now leaning or has decided to go get the money.  Can't blame him a bit. But still hoping he will stay.

That was when Coach decided to offer Kapita to replace our hole in the middle but we still have a spot for this year.

I am hoping for a long athletic 6'6-6'8 leaper who can get his own shot.

Anybody have any names?

CDBHawg

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 19, 2015, 11:04:52 am
I think last week or so Mike made some contacts and found out Portis is a lock for a top 15 pick.  This info was passed over to Portis and he is now leaning or has decided to go get the money.  Can't blame him a bit. But still hoping he will stay.

That was when Coach decided to offer Kapita to replace our hole in the middle but we still have a spot for this year.

I am hoping for a long athletic 6'6-6'8 leaper who can get his own shot.

Anybody have any names?

Our 2015 class right now basically consists of:

Jimmy Whitt
http://247sports.com/Player/Jimmy-Whitt-32136
Ted Kapita
http://247sports.com/Player/Ted-Kapita-29968
Dusty Hannahs
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62408/dusty-hannahs

That gives us a 2015 Lineup of:
PG: Beard / Babb or Durham
SG: Bell / Whitt / Hannahs
SF: Qualls / Watkins
PF: Williams / Kapita / Miles
C: Kingsley / Thompson

Of course, depending on development, you may see Kapita play the 5 behind Kingsley if Thompson isn't ready. With Williams and Miles as Seniors at the 4, that's possible. With a year of development, Babb has a good chance to see some time backing up Beard if he can beat out Durham.

We will be strong at the SG and SF spots next season. I'm not sure Mike really needs to add anyone else for this class. Save the scholarship for 2015 when we need to add a huge class.

redleg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2015, 11:40:49 am
Our 2015 class right now basically consists of:

Jimmy Whitt
http://247sports.com/Player/Jimmy-Whitt-32136
Ted Kapita
http://247sports.com/Player/Ted-Kapita-29968
Dusty Hannahs
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62408/dusty-hannahs

That gives us a 2015 Lineup of:
PG: Beard / Babb or Durham
SG: Bell / Whitt / Hannahs
SF: Qualls / Watkins
PF: Williams / Kapita / Miles
C: Kingsley / Thompson

Of course, depending on development, you may see Kapita play the 5 behind Kingsley if Thompson isn't ready. With Williams and Miles as Seniors at the 4, that's possible. With a year of development, Babb has a good chance to see some time backing up Beard if he can beat out Durham.

We will be strong at the SG and SF spots next season. I'm not sure Mike really needs to add anyone else for this class. Save the scholarship for 2015 when we need to add a huge class.

Babb is not a point guard.
No way Watkins, at 6'3", plays small forward.
PG - soph Beard 6'0", sr Durham 6'1", maybe jr Watkins 6'3"
SG - sr Bell 6'3", soph Babb 6'5", Watkins, fr Whitt 6'4", jr Hannahs 6'3"
SF - sr Qualls 6'6", sr Miles 6'7", maybe Babb or Whitt
PF - sr Williams 6'8", fr Kapita 6'9"
C - jr Kingsley 6'10", soph Thompson 6'9"

With 5 seniors on that team, look for Anderson to go after a Top 10 Class with hopefully Malik Monk as the centerpiece.
If the current team can win a couple of games in the NCAA Tourny, and next year's team can be competitive, higher rated players will want to come play for CMA.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on February 19, 2015, 12:17:00 pm
PG - Beard, Durham, maybe Watkins
SG - Bell, Babb, Watkins, Whitt, Hannahs
SF - Qualls, Miles, maybe Babb or Whitt
PF - Williams, Kapita
C - Kingsley, Thompson

With 5 seniors on that team, look for Anderson to go after a Top 10 Class with hopefully Malik Monk as the centerpiece.
If the current team can win a couple of games in the NCAA Tourny, and next year's team can be competitive, higher rated players will want to come play for CMA.

Watkins is playing SF right now. The lineup when he is out there is Durham at PG, Bell at SG, and Watkins at SF. His height isn't a big deal at SF because his strength and defense allow him to easily guard opposing team's SF's.

Miles has shown that he cannot play the SF in our system, he is a 4. His strengths are a midrange jumper and he can be effective against a zone. At 6'7" and a long wingspan, he is a good fit at the 4, like Williams.

Babb can play the 1, 2, or 3. With our strength at SG and SF in my lineup (the lineup most closely to what Mike is actually using and he'll likely use), Babb has more than enough ability to handle the ball at the PG position.

CDBHawg

No reason to save a scholarship for 2016. We'll have five spots available for that year.

hawginbigd1

I want us to sign a Qualls type Freshman this year, this person could replace Portis, Qualls, or Miles depending on how things play out.

passinghog

The lineup with Durham, Bell, and Watkins on the floor is a 3 guard lineup. Watkins is not a 3.

Big Nasty 34

We will have mostly 3 guard lineups in the future unless we get a true 3 this year.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: redleg on February 19, 2015, 12:17:00 pm
PG - soph Beard 6'0", sr Durham 6'1", maybe jr Watkins 6'3"
SG - sr Bell 6'3", soph Babb 6'5", Watkins, fr Whitt 6'4", jr Hannahs 6'3"
SF - sr Qualls 6'6", sr Miles 6'7", maybe Babb or Whitt
PF - sr Williams 6'8", fr Kapita 6'9"
C - jr Kingsley 6'10", soph Thompson 6'9"

There is do much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 19, 2015, 11:34:31 am
Kapita was offered a while ago.
I think he was offered with a stipulation if Portis left.  Just a guess.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 19, 2015, 03:28:54 pm
I want us to sign a Qualls type Freshman this year, this person could replace Portis, Qualls, or Miles depending on how things play out.
I do too.  A long athletic shooter.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

CDBHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 21, 2015, 12:20:59 am

Portis hasn't left yet.

The_Bionic_Pig

I believe we add Melvin Frazier (assuming transfers occur as they do almost every year at major programs)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jry04

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 22, 2015, 08:17:44 am
I believe we add Melvin Frazier (assuming transfers occur as they do almost every year at major programs)
That would be a huge add, but who would the transfer be? I personally do not see anyone currently on the team transferring out of the program. We lose Madden and Harris, plus likely Portis. Wouldn't we have room for him without transfers?

psooie

If portis leaves than that allows 3 spots. Maybe miles leaves to go to a smaller school to get PT.

RazorAg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 21, 2015, 12:20:59 am

You've ignored others telling you differently on other boards.  Kapita had a committable offer when he visited months ago.  Again, Kapita is a backfill for Harris.  We are continuing to recruit Juco bigs in case Portis leaves.  We're keeping tabs on Frazier if Qualls were to leave.

RazorAg

As for lineups projections and on the same assumption that Portis is gone (I don't have a good feel), here's the way I would look at it:

PG: Beard, Durham, Whitt, Babb
Wing: Whitt, Bell, Babb, Hannahs, Watkins
Wing: Qualls, Bell, Babb, Hannahs, Watkins
F: Williams, Miles, Kapita, Juco Big, Kingsley
F: Kingsley, Kapita, Juco Big, Thompson

Whitt and Babb can move to the 1 very easily, and they may play more there than Durham. The rest of the players move pretty freely between the two wing spots and forward spots.

swinesation

Quote from: RazorAg on February 22, 2015, 12:49:06 pm
As for lineups projections and on the same assumption that Portis is gone (I don't have a good feel), here's the way I would look at it:

PG: Beard, Durham, Whitt, Babb
Wing: Whitt, Bell, Babb, Hannahs, Watkins
Wing: Qualls, Bell, Babb, Hannahs, Watkins
F: Williams, Miles, Kapita, Juco Big, Kingsley
F: Kingsley, Kapita, Juco Big, Thompson

Whitt and Babb can move to the 1 very easily, and they may play more there than Durham. The rest of the players move pretty freely between the two wing spots and forward spots.

I agree that Whitt will probably be starting, at least by the time SEC play comes around. Other than Portis, he's the best player Mike's signed. And he seems like the same caliber of person as Portis. To call him the best player Mike's signed besides Portis is saying a lot, because Beard is pretty fantastic. Those two together are going to be a lot of fun to watch! Then if you think of adding Monk to those two, WOW!

pimphog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 22, 2015, 08:17:44 am

i figured, based on the video I've seen of Frazier, that he would be rated higher than a 3 star. What gives?

Danny J

Quote from: pimphog on February 22, 2015, 03:09:25 pm
i figured, based on the video I've seen of Frazier, that he would be rated higher than a 3 star. What gives?
Scout has him as a 4

RazorAg

Quote from: pimphog on February 22, 2015, 03:09:25 pm

He's still developing offensively. He averaged 8.2 ppg in the Nike EYBL. He's a guy that does a lot more than score right now, though. Qualls and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are good comparisons.