Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Watched Dayton at Rhode Island

Started by hogwood, February 10, 2017, 09:38:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Packed house at RI, loud and active crowd. Couldn't hear the announcers on TV. Amazing play making down the stretch by both teams. Really competitive game and I was really impressed by the players and their athleticism/abilities. I mean I know RI has 2 top 100 kids but wow these are 3/2 stars - even unranked kids? I've been watching too much Arkansas basketball. We'd be in 5th place in the A10 too! Our road wins were just wins we stumbled into compared to that effort by Dayton.

Oh yeah, and Archie Miller was there...

The Hogfather

Archie Miller is a really good coach.  The job he did a year or two ago was awesome.  They had a couple of their best players get kicked off of their team and had some key injuries. Maybe 2014?  They had about 6 players in total and still won a ton.

RagingHawgOn

Ironhawg

If Anderson ever leaves I'd love to have Archie Miller.  I just don't know if he would come to the SEC.

realistichog

At this point I would take Archie Bunker!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogwood on February 10, 2017, 09:38:59 pm
Packed house at RI, loud and active crowd. Couldn't hear the announcers on TV. Amazing play making down the stretch by both teams. Really competitive game and I was really impressed by the players and their athleticism/abilities. I mean I know RI has 2 top 100 kids but wow these are 3/2 stars - even unranked kids? I've been watching too much Arkansas basketball. We'd be in 5th place in the A10 too! Our road wins were just wins we stumbled into compared to that effort by Dayton.

Oh yeah, and Archie Miller was there...
Dayton beat us by 4 last year in overtime with one of our worst teams. No thanks...SEC basketball is on a different level than the A10. How many at large bids do you think that conference is going to get? They'd be lucky to get two.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 10, 2017, 11:19:04 pm
If Anderson ever leaves I'd love to have Archie Miller.  I just don't know if he would come to the SEC.

Seriously. We rolled Dayton 2 seasons ago and nearly beat them at their place last season.

je100

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 02:20:06 pm
Dayton beat us by 4 last year in overtime with one of our worst teams. No thanks...SEC basketball is on a different level than the A10. How many at large bids do you think that conference is going to get? They'd be lucky to get two.

Wow.  We don't want Archie Miller because Dayton only beat us by four?  Very telling about the general state of our program right now.

It's difficult to defend Arkansas basketball with a coherent argument right now.

Biggus Piggus

Do not pay attention to his incoherent noise. Desperate flailing.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 12, 2017, 03:53:22 pm
You have to admit, he's persistent!

je100

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 12, 2017, 03:53:22 pm

I don't think for a second that Arkansas is a top 10 program.  But we once were, which means we can be again.  Much of what made us a top 10 program years ago is still in place - fan base, tradition, geographical positioning, etc.

I sincerely hope that Jeff Long doesn't carry the same incoherent, loser's mentality as Youngsta.  The fact (if it is a fact) that Long didn't want Anderson in the first place gives me some hope.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: je100 on February 12, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
I don't think for a second that Arkansas is a top 10 program.  But we once were, which means we can be again.  Much of what made us a top 10 program years ago is still in place - fan base, tradition, geographical positioning, etc.

LOL! Geographical positioning and fanbase! Double LOL!

South Carolina has a better fanbase and Martin has yet to make a tournament in 5 seasons. They are only 2 games better and playing in front of crowds of 18k.

Geographically, Baylor is good now, so there went Dallas, A&M takes their program serious, so there went Houston, OU has owned Tulsa since Nolan was still coaching, Memphis kids are scorned for even thinking about coming here plus Tenn has come on along with Memphis, no pipeline there, Kansas City is owned by KU and Mizzou. How is this a geographic advantage of any kind?

Tradition? AYSM! Our tradition is 2 decades old now. Current recruits aren't even that old!

Our fanbase is beyond deluded.

(notOM)Rebel123

The SEC and A10 each have 3 teams in the ESPN BPI Top 40.
Outside of KY, Fla, and USCe, the SEC isn't very impressive.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

je100

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 12, 2017, 04:14:01 pm
LOL! Geographical positioning and fanbase! Double LOL!

South Carolina has a better fanbase and Martin has yet to make a tournament in 5 seasons. They are only 2 games better and playing in front of crowds of 18k.

Geographically, Baylor is good now, so there went Dallas, A&M takes their program serious, so there went Houston, OU has owned Tulsa since Nolan was still coaching, Memphis kids are scorned for even thinking about coming here plus Tenn has come on along with Memphis, no pipeline there, Kansas City is owned by KU and Mizzou. How is this a geographic advantage of any kind?

Tradition? AYSM! Our tradition is 2 decades old now. Current recruits aren't even that old!

Then what was it, in your opinion, that made us a Top 10 program?

PonderinHog

Quote from: je100 on February 12, 2017, 04:20:40 pm
Three D's and 40.  And players.

Hoggish1

They take a lot of pride in basketball at RI...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2017, 04:31:46 pm
Three D's and 40.  And players.

Sums it up pretty well. Wonder how many on here actually know the meaning of "Three D's?"  ;)

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 12, 2017, 04:39:18 pm
They take a lot of pride in basketball at RI...

Since 1998, we've won 1 more tournament game than RI.

mhuff

Coaching. Recruiting. Tradition made our program in yesteryear

fineswine

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 12, 2017, 04:39:19 pm
Sums it up pretty well. Wonder how many on here actually know the meaning of "Three D's?"  ;)
It ain't Sutton's "3 D's". Mike's are "Dazed, Disappoint, and Disorganized".

Sivad

As proven by continuing to throw $2.5 Million Dollars a year for six plus years at a nonproductive coach and his "system" in a desperate but failed attempt to recreate the past.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: fineswine on February 12, 2017, 05:27:30 pm
It ain't Sutton's "3 D's". Mike's are "Dazed, Disappoint, and Disorganized".
Ha!

Captain Morgan

February 12, 2017, 06:47:00 pm #22 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:48:14 pm by Captain Morgan

I would love to have him  ;D ;D ;D :razorback: :razorback: ;D ;D ;D

Kevin

Sometimes you crack me up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

(notOM)Rebel123

Captain Morgan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 12, 2017, 08:25:30 pm
Lieutenant Sam Weinberg?

Your image looks more like Dave Matthews more than anyone

hogwood

Dude every post you make is so poorly informed. My god. The A10 has put in as many or more teams in tge tourney than the SEC for the last couple of years.

CFB_Fanatic

Easy. When Nolan was head coach, he was one of only a handful of black head coaches in the country, especially at a P5 school. It was easy for him to recruit good players because they wanted to come play for a black coach. Nolan could relate to their life circumstances better, which made recruiting much easier. That and we also got pretty lucky with some of the recruits that fell into his lap from right here in the state.

Finally, Nolan's style of up-tempo, fast paced basketball wasn't that common back then. The era of slow, deliberate basketball was just coming to an end. That gave us an advantage that we no longer have. Nolan was willing to let his players play "schoolyard ball" while others were all about fundamental basketball (which is no longer the case).

It was all a matter of having the right things in place at the right time. Basically, we got lucky.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: je100 on February 12, 2017, 03:48:54 pm
Wow.  We don't want Archie Miller because Dayton only beat us by four?  Very telling about the general state of our program right now.

It's difficult to defend Arkansas basketball with a coherent argument right now.
I'm just trying to figure out why some seem to think he is a so much better coach. That's all. I don't see it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: je100 on February 12, 2017, 04:05:02 pm

I sincerely hope that Jeff Long doesn't carry the same incoherent, loser's mentality as Youngsta.  The fact (if it is a fact) that Long didn't want Anderson in the first place gives me some hope.
A loser's mentality? No. A realistic view? Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Miller_(basketball)

Pretty good resume? No doubt. Spectacular resume? No. Don't forget what conference Dayton plays in. Makes it a lot easier to get to the tournament rather some are willing to admit it or not.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 12, 2017, 04:19:10 pm
The SEC and A10 each have 3 teams in the ESPN BPI Top 40.
Outside of KY, Fla, and USCe, the SEC isn't very impressive.
The A10 is even less impressive. And that's all some of those schools hang their hat on is basketball.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 12, 2017, 06:47:00 pm
I would love to have him  ;D ;D ;D :razorback: :razorback: ;D ;D ;D
The only thing that is much more impressive is the conference record. And don't forget what conference he coaches in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Miller_(basketball)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Kevin on February 12, 2017, 06:48:56 pm
Sometimes you crack me up
I know. It's hard to fathom someone basing their opinions on realism instead of female like emotions.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogwood on February 12, 2017, 11:12:16 pm
Dude every post you make is so poorly informed. My god. The A10 has put in as many or more teams in tge tourney than the SEC for the last couple of years.
So your trying to convince me that the A10 is some kind of powerhouse basketball conference now? The SEC has been down a couple or few years but that doesn't automatically make the A10 a powerhouse. I watch march madness every year and have been since is was old enough to know what I was watching. You can throw that bull at someone who doesn't pay attention to college basketball. No doubt Dayton has been a good team in their respective conference but don't try to convince me that they have conquered the college basketball world.

Kevin

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 10:07:08 am
I know. It's hard to fathom someone basing their opinions on realism instead of female like emotions.

then you should stop being so emotional
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hog Fan...DOH!

South Carolina has a better fanbase...

They're a Top 25 team and have been all year... Arkansas is not and hasn't been.  Get a grip, Junior.  To prevent injury, close your mouth and begin to inhale through your nose.  Then, and this is the important part, come to a complete stop.  Gradually begin lifting your knuckles from the ground whilst lifting your head up, slowly but steadily moving into an upright position. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Kevin on February 13, 2017, 10:29:05 am
then you should stop being so emotional
I'm not one of the ones that want to fire everybody after every loss... ;). I'm one of few, obviously, that is willing to sit back and let the season play out before I lose my mind or not. In other words I don't make judgments after every game like most of you seem to do with all of this kneejerk reaction stuff.

Wisco Pig

# of teams in NCAAs, last five years

2012  A10 4,   SEC 4
2013  A10 5,   SEC 3
2014  A10 6,   SEC 3
2015  A10 3,   SEC 5
2016  A10 3,   SEC 3
Total  A10 21, SEC 18

This year, the A10 will probably get 2 teams -- maybe 3 if Rhode Island can finish strong.
The SEC will get as few as 3 or as many as 5.

ShadowHawg

Memphis WAS a pipeline. We also had our pick of the Tulsa kids and the Dallas/Ft Worth was producing for us as well. We also landed a couple of kids from the Kansas City area. Those areas are dominated by either the "hometown" schools or college basketball royalty today.

Basically, it was easier to recruit then. I remember Oliver Miller saying that when he visited OU that Stacy King was his host and when they walked around the campus none of the other students even knew who he was. You think that is the case at OU these days? OU started closing off it's best players during the Kelvin Sampson and really haven't looked back.

The other thing was it was easier to get JUCOs eligible. We had some good JUCOs run through here during Nolan's time.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 13, 2017, 11:05:14 am
They're a Top 25 team and have been all year... Arkansas is not and hasn't been.  Get a grip, Junior.  To prevent injury, close your mouth and begin to inhale through your nose.  Then, and this is the important part, come to a complete stop.  Gradually begin lifting your knuckles from the ground whilst lifting your head up, slowly but steadily moving into an upright position.

When we won 27 just two seasons ago we didn't draw like that. Internet tough guy. Better fan base for a less successful program, period.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Wisco Pig on February 13, 2017, 11:50:19 am
# of teams in NCAAs, last five years

2012  A10 4,   SEC 4
2013  A10 5,   SEC 3
2014  A10 6,   SEC 3
2015  A10 3,   SEC 5
2016  A10 3,   SEC 3
Total  A10 21, SEC 18

This year, the A10 will get probably get 2 teams -- maybe 3 if Rhode Island can finish strong.
The SEC will get as few as 3 or as many as 5.
Hmmm, I will admit the A10 is better than I thought when it comes to making the tournament. If they start winning championships, playing in championship games, going to the final 4 or even going to the elite 8 or sweet 16 every year I will consider them a powerhouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school_and_conference

Otis

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 11:38:38 am
I'm not one of the ones that want to fire everybody after every loss... ;). I'm one of few, obviously, that is willing to sit back and let the season play out before I lose my mind or not. In other words I don't make judgments after every game like most of you seem to do with all of this kneejerk reaction stuff.

Six years is not a knee jerk reaction

wrs001

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 10:09:29 am
So your trying to convince me that the A10 is some kind of powerhouse basketball conference now? The SEC has been down a couple or few years but that doesn't automatically make the A10 a powerhouse. I watch march madness every year and have been since is was old enough to know what I was watching. You can throw that bull at someone who doesn't pay attention to college basketball. No doubt Dayton has been a good team in their respective conference but don't try to convince me that they have conquered the college basketball world.

Nobody said they were a powerhouse conference or that they have conquered the college basketball world. Nice hyperbole and straw man attempt though.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Otis on February 13, 2017, 12:05:09 pm
Six years is not a knee jerk reaction
What's so hard to understand about we're playing this season? 2016-2017 is the season we're playing. The past is the past and he's still here. Nothing can be done about the past. I'm not worried about those seasons. I'm talking about this season and beyond. The projection of the program not the past of the program.

Adam Stokes

The A-10 is certainly more top heavy in the SEC, helping the cream to rise to the top.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 12:43:09 pm
What's so hard to understand about we're playing this season? 2016-2017 is the season we're playing. The past is the past and he's still here. Nothing can be done about the past. I'm not worried about those seasons I'm talking about this season and beyond. The projection of the program not the past of the program.

"Definition of insanity?"
"Study the past if you would define the future."
"The best predictor of future performance is ... past behavior."
"You can't change a leopard's spots."
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 12:59:28 pm
"Definition of insanity?"
"Study the past if you would define the future."
"The best predictor of future performance is ... past behavior."
"You can't change a leopard's spots."
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
So your saying there are no exceptions? I do believe there are exceptions to most junk people can come up with. Question, what is our record this year and what was our record last year since we like to dwell in the past so much? Is there not a clear cut improvement already? I digress...and I dropped the mic... ;D. Have a nice day sir or mam whichever one it is... ;D

Biggus Piggus

I'll say this much: If MA can find a real point guard for next season, Arkansas can fix this next season. If not, it won't happen.
[CENSORED]!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 12:01:07 pm
When we won 27 just two seasons ago we didn't draw like that. Internet tough guy. Better fan base for a less successful program, period.

They've had ONE sell-out this year.  And both arenas are comparatively sized, although the Bud holds about about 1K more.  Frank Martin has done a great job, and South Carolina is getting better.  Maybe they have more at games this year than Arkansas?  MAYBE.  But I doubt it. 

2014:  Arkansas ranked #21 in attendance; South Carolina #41

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf 

2015:  Arkansas ranked #11; South Carolina #33

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2015.pdf

2016:  Arkansas ranked #12; South Carolina #31

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2016/06/09/2016_release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf

Oh, and to the 27-win season you were referring to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Arkansas_Razorbacks_men's_basketball_team

Arkansas had some great crowds.   It helps to be good.