Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got to find another scorer

Started by hogsanity, December 30, 2017, 04:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback1829

Quote from: niels_boar on December 30, 2017, 11:23:49 pm
Tennessee closed out on Jones like he had the last Christmas cookie.  He rushed the shots. He needs to pump fake and take a side step.  He can do that.  I've seen him do it.  Otherwise, swing the ball with a defender out of position.  He creates spacing even if he doesn't make a shot.  He'll score plenty in many games.  Another way to look at it is that one of the best defenses in the nation couldn't take Barford and Macon out of the game.  Tape showed that they couldn't just ignore the rest of the team.

Nonetheless, the bench had their worst game of the season.  It wasn't typical.  Matchups with a bunch of smallish, quick, positionless athletes isn't going to be in Trey's wheelhouse.  Tennessee is an elite defense that doesn't give up much inside, which takes away a lot of Bailey's cut game.  Hall is still a work in progress on ball handling.  It's not shocking that our bench would struggle on O against them.  It didn't help that we had played only one competitive game in a month.  Nice to pick up a quality win while learning a lesson.

Cook deserves some credit.  He didn't put up a flashy stat line, but he shored up the D when he subbed in for the last 4 minutes.  The Vols only scored 5 points at the end of regulation over that span.  You don't get spectacular runs from great offensive players without stops. I thought CMA should have used him as the primary backup center in this game because of the matchups.  Having extra size didn't help us against Houston, a very similar team, either.  We'll need Trey in other games.

This. CJ will be fine. He had several moments where he could've pumpfaked, took a dribble and gotten that easy pull up like we've seen so many times. He'll learn as will Adrio and Darious. The game will eventually slow down for Hall this year, as it does for most freshman, and we will have a great wing with length down the stretch of season starting to play his best basketball.

Could've used Cook earlier as he is the best of the fours at switching, moving his feet, and contesting shots. CMA made the right call inserting him the last 4 and OT.

PonderinHog

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:34:24 am

You can say it about virtually any team...but when this team plays defense with 100% intensity, and hits shots...they can beat anyone.  As Gafford develops a better post game, and our second unit improves....we can be SCARY later this season if they stay healthy and hungry. 

This is true and it is a welcome sight.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:31:17 am
Its tough to win on the road anywhere in college hoops. Duke found that out at BC as did we at Houston.

Agreed, which is why we will have challenges by teams that we probably shouldn't have much at home.  I think MOST fans were hoping the break out games by Jones, consistent improvement by Hall, and some of the others who have been around longer would equate to a second unit without a lot of drop off. 

What I think we saw, is what you're saying.  TN is VERY stout on defense.  They are STRONG dudes who defend very well, and it was just a little more than our 2nd unit could contend with at this point.  It was a GREAT test for them, and I agree that TN is good and defensively, we probably won't face a better team in the SEC.  Those are ALL upsides, and I 100% agree with your assessment. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

popcornhog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 09:52:49 am
He said we cant expect career highs out of our best 2 players and need more help from the bench.  What was so unreasonable?

He ignores the fact that we have very legit 3rd and 4th scoring options.
WPS

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:38:57 am
Agreed, which is why we will have challenges by teams that we probably shouldn't have much at home.  I think MOST fans were hoping the break out games by Jones, consistent improvement by Hall, and some of the others who have been around longer would equate to a second unit without a lot of drop off. 

What I think we saw, is what you're saying.  TN is VERY stout on defense.  They are STRONG dudes who defend very well, and it was just a little more than our 2nd unit could contend with at this point.  It was a GREAT test for them, and I agree that TN is good and defensively, we probably won't face a better team in the SEC.  Those are ALL upsides, and I 100% agree with your assessment. 

I hope we do not see Tennessee in St. Louis in March unless its in the title game. Rick Barnes has some DUDES. Saw them play vs Purdue and Nova and knew it would be tough just not THIS tough.  I thought it would take a unbelievable all time performance to beat this team at BWA this year and they darn near did it.

I really like CJ and Hall. I think they will snap out of it. CJ had really good games vs UConn and Minnesota. Baily also came on in non league vs OKlahoma/Minnesota and had five blocks vs UNC.  I agree I do think Tennessee was just way too much for them. Those guys just got shell shocked.  Barnes has been through the wars and he now has Tennessee on a top level. Can only be good for us and the SEC.

PonderinHog

They're still trying to find their SE C-legs.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:29:58 am
I think this team has the potential to win the entire SEC and get a top 4 seed after seeing Texas AM at Alabama. I do agree that in order to do that we cannot have macon and barford playing 40 minutes a night. The bench had their worst performance of the season by far.  It looks like he's basing the entire SEC season on this one game. It comes off as very nit picky even after a huge comeback win.

Do we need them to get 60 points to beat Miss State, LSU, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, etc etc? No way.
I'm new to this board, I dont know who hates who so feel pretty objective.  It seemed reasonable to me.  I missed the game yesterday and watched the recording this morning.  My initial thoughts were we earned another great win over a tough team but needed more from the bench.  It's important to talk about all aspects of the game, no?

PonderinHog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 11:06:40 am
I'm new to this board, I dont know who hates who so feel pretty objective.  It seemed reasonable to me.  I missed the game yesterday and watched the recording this morning.  My initial thoughts were we earned another great win over a tough team but needed more from the bench.  It's important to talk about all aspects of the game, no?
Yeah, I'm new here too!   ;D  Here's the thing.  If our bench had put up a bunch of points or the scoring had been more evenly dispersed, he would have found something else to bitch about.

King Kong

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:59:28 pm
No, because it is true. They won today with great effort late but really, you think Macon and Barford are going to average 30 each in sec play?

News flash. Not everyone in the SEC is as good as UT

PonderinHog

Quote from: King Kong on December 31, 2017, 11:34:36 am
News flash. Not everyone in the SEC is as good as UT
UT sucks!  They were picked 13th in the preseason!

FATHAWG08

Macon/Barford will determine who the 3rd scorer will be. When they are doing what they do best they give everybody easy chances to score. The last 5 minutes of regulation and the OT was some of the best offensive basketball I've seen the Hogs play if 20 plus years. 22 points in OT crazy.
I love off season Football!!

Chorizo Hogriguez

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 31, 2017, 11:24:26 am
Yeah, I'm new here too!   ;D  Here's the thing.  If our bench had put up a bunch of points or the scoring had been more evenly dispersed, he would have found something else to bitch about.
Interesting.  The football board is a real buzz kill, not a lot of middle ground and pretty negative.  I was just thinking to myself that the bball board seemed alot friendlier and had more reasonable conversation...

BirmingHam

I believe that Jones will get better.  I do have a question.  Has Jones had a knee/leg injury? He seems to favor his left leg, which could be effecting his ability to jump and for a jump shooter it will throw off your form.  I have no proof, just from watching the games.

latrops

Quote from: Rbill on December 30, 2017, 10:46:17 pm
This is accurate. If he's confident and in a rhythm he becomes lights out. It didn't feel like he was given much of a chance tonight. That's not just on him but everyone on the court with him.

Hopefully we can avoid the slow starts most nights.   When playing from behind you tend to focus on keeping up, not getting 4th and 5th options going.

Kevin

One way to get a third scorer is throw it to gafford when he has his defender on his back. Probably missed 10 post feeds yesterday
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PonderinHog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 11:52:26 am
Interesting.  The football board is a real buzz kill, not a lot of middle ground and pretty negative.  I was just thinking to myself that the bball board seemed alot friendlier and had more reasonable conversation...
Stick around, we're one game into an 18 game conference schedule. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Kevin on December 31, 2017, 12:34:04 pm
One way to get a third scorer is throw it to gafford when he has his defender on his back. Probably missed 10 post feeds yesterday
Yeah but it seemed that until the last 8 minutes or so they had no interest in posting him up or feeding him the ball. It seemed like a different game from then out.

TushCrush

We are currently averaging 90 points per game. The points will come. Some forget that our players will for the most part will improve as the season goes on. It's gonna be a hell of a ride.

hogsanity

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 31, 2017, 11:24:26 am

I have not complained about anything all season. I even said the losses to NC and Houston were not that big of a deal. I had them going 23-8 and right now they are ahead of that as I thought they'd lose 3 ooc games. But that does not change the fact that they can't win getting 5 pts from the bench.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2017, 02:31:04 pm
I have not complained about anything all season. I even said the losses to NC and Houston were not that big of a deal. I had them going 23-8 and right now they are ahead of that as I thought they'd lose 3 ooc games. But that does not change the fact that they can't win getting 5 pts from the bench.

But they just won doing that very thing though.

When the bench isn't producing, your go to guys have to score more, and sometimes the bench has to compensate for lower production from the starters. No crisis is looming just because our bench production wasn't there for one game. Now, if they go on to only produce 5 points a game from here on out, we have a problem.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 31, 2017, 02:44:07 pm
But they just won doing that very thing though.

When the bench isn't producing, your go to guys have to score more, and sometimes the bench has to compensate for lower production from the starters. No crisis is looming just because our bench production wasn't there for one game. Now, if they go on to only produce 5 points a game from here on out, we have a problem.

Which is why I said they need to find another scorer. The 2nd group seems like it is going to struggle to score against tough defensive teams ( which the sec is full of this year ). Can't count on Macon and Barford doing what they did yesterday every game. I don't think they need 30+ from the bench, but they need 15-20.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

Quote from: elksnort on December 31, 2017, 09:36:34 am
Why can't someone post a reasonable critique without folks freaking out about it?
Then the question becomes, "why have ANY critique when your team just battled back from dead to WIN against a ranked opponent"?

elksnort

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2017, 03:34:42 pm
Then the question becomes, "why have ANY critique when your team just battled back from dead to WIN against a ranked opponent"?
We stole one. It was fun to watch. Great crowd and really good opponent.
Hogsanity is simply saying we will not be able to get away with so few bench points in future games like yesterday. 
At least this is how I interpreted it. 

rude1

Quote from: elksnort on December 31, 2017, 03:46:56 pm
We stole one. It was fun to watch. Great crowd and really good opponent.
Hogsanity is simply saying we will not be able to get away with so few bench points in future games like yesterday. 
At least this is how I interpreted it. 

Why does he need to say that when the bench has played well except for this game? Can he not wait till there is a pattern to suggest there is a problem? You know like I know what that is about.....................

hogsanity

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2017, 03:52:26 pm
Why does he need to say that when the bench has played well except for this game? Can he not wait till there is a pattern to suggest there is a problem? You know like I know what that is about.....................

its about not being able to survive 17 more sec games plus the OSU game IF the 2nd team does not have a consistent scorer, nothing more nothing less.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2017, 05:17:27 pm
its about not being able to survive 17 more sec games plus the OSU game IF the 2nd team does not have a consistent scorer, nothing more nothing less.
I agree, but the bench has been scoring. This game was the exception, not the rule. Thank God Macon was having a good shooting performance. I would say the same of Barford, but I don't think he's had a bad performance this year. That guy is one of the most diverse shooters I've seen in a Hog uniform. Even his seemingly out of control circus shots are high percentage.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on December 31, 2017, 05:17:27 pm

Yea this thread didn't age well my friend.

Pigasaurus

If I remember correctly,  one of our defensive players is former Tennessee Mr Basketball. I haven't heard any discussion of him playing bball. Anyone seen this discussed?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2017, 03:34:42 pm

This!!

SultanofSwine

Quote from: pigasaurus on December 31, 2017, 07:57:43 pm
If I remember correctly,  one of our defensive players is former Tennessee Mr Basketball. I haven't heard any discussion of him playing bball. Anyone seen this discussed?

RB Chase Hayden

King Kong

Quote from: pigasaurus on December 31, 2017, 07:57:43 pm

Can you fix a broken leg?

waphill

Quote from: Kevin on December 31, 2017, 12:34:04 pm

Yeah, they missed him a lot. He's so long & athletic, and has some nice low post moves, there's not many that can guard him 1 on 1. Keep feeding him and he's either going to rack up a ton of fouls, or create double teams. Those 3's get easier when he's doubled and hits you wide open.

hogsanity

In the last 2 games the Hogs have 19 pts TOTAL from their bench. As I said after the TN game, having Barford and Macon try to win every game from 15+ feet away is not a great strategy.

That said, they were not going to win every SEC game, regardless, and one loss is definitely not a killer this year. Still sticking with 23-8 regular season. Which with this years schedule is still a good season.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 08:14:23 am
In the last 2 games the Hogs have 19 pts TOTAL from their bench. As I said after the TN game, having Barford and Macon try to win every game from 15+ feet away is not a great strategy.

That said, they were not going to win every SEC game, regardless, and one loss is definitely not a killer this year. Still sticking with 23-8 regular season. Which with this years schedule is still a good season.

If we have games where we are cold from the 3 pt line, and don't clean up the defensive rebounding...we can lose a lot more than 8.  I'm hoping that was just an aberration, but it always worries me when I see us giving up second chance points like that. 

I also think MA needs to make them play entire practices without even taking a 3 pt shot and try to get the team to find ways to score when that's not working. 

In his system...there are always three things that we see rear their head.  Poor defensive rebounding, inability to guard the 3 pt line and continuing to trap when they are beating it with skip passes...leaving open 3's, and no answers when we aren't hitting 3 point shots.  If there's one thing I'm convinced of at this point...it's that those are INHERENT in his teams, and we'll lose when two or more show up in games.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.