Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happens during an UNofficial visit?

Started by longtimeHogfan, January 24, 2018, 04:52:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

I guess I've never heard, exactly, what takes place during an UNofficial visit vs. an official one.  Same thing with coaches and tours of facilities, etc., just no reimbursement to the family for their travels or expenses?  Is the staff limited in any way other than monetarily?  I'll hang up and listen.....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

jusgtohogs

if it's a kid we want, they pay their own way to and from.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: jusgtohogs on January 24, 2018, 04:52:58 pm
if it's a kid we want, they pay their own way to and from.

Yeah, I knew that, but is the staff limited in any other way?  Same dog-and-pony show just no $'s?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

widespreadsooie

My guess would be there's less, if any, structure.

Flrazrback

It's my understanding the Offical Visit is payed for by the University and the prospect is reimbursed for his qualifying expenses. On an unofficial visit all expenses are paid for by the prospect and his family with no reimbursement from the University. Other than that, the experience is the same.

TomasPistola

Depends on the university. At Louisville - sex. Lots of sex.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

sowmonella

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 24, 2018, 09:48:10 pm

Same at Auburn except livestock is involved.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

SSFrazorback

bphi11ips

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 24, 2018, 09:45:45 pm
It's my understanding the Offical Visit is payed for by the University and the prospect is reimbursed for his qualifying expenses. On an unofficial visit all expenses are paid for by the prospect and his family with no reimbursement from the University. Other than that, the experience is the same.

That is sort of true.  Unofficial visits are more game day visits.  Athletes are invited and get tickets for family.  If the game is at 2:00, for example, the athletes and parents, maybe siblings, show up at an appointed time, check in, and get a tour of facilities.  There is usually a meal with coaches.  If players and family want to eat, they have to pay a modest price of, say, $8/person.  NCAA rules.  A golf cart might take a player to meet privately with a coach.  Players and family usually get time on the field pre-game during warm-ups and head to seats 30 minutes or so before kick-off.  A lot of kids leave at halftime.  There's not a lot of contact after the game.  Everyone just goes home.

An offical visit is 48 hours.  The school pays all expenses.  Players and families meet the coaches at the hotel on Friday afternoon and go to dinner.  The recruit then goes out with their player/host.  Saturday is the comprehensive tour of facilities.  Athletes and families meet trainers, academic support staff, get questions answered about dorms, meals, etc. Saturday night is dinner with coaches and parents while recruits hang out with players.  Everyone gets together for breakfast Sunday and goes home.

Some players get invited to more than one game for unofficial visits.  Most official visits, I believe, take place during offseason, because games interrupt the 48 hour period filled with everything designed to help the recruit and his family know if the school and players are a good fit. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 24, 2018, 11:08:18 pm
That is sort of true.  Unofficial visits are more game day visits.  Athletes are invited and get tickets for family.  If the game is at 2:00, for example, the athletes and parents, maybe siblings, show up at an appointed time, check in, and get a tour of facilities.  There is usually a meal with coaches.  If players and family want to eat, they have to pay a modest price of, say, $8/person.  NCAA rules.  A golf cart might take a player to meet privately with a coach.  Players and family usually get time on the field pre-game during warm-ups and head to seats 30 minutes or so before kick-off.  A lot of kids leave at halftime.  There's not a lot of contact after the game.  Everyone just goes home.

An offical visit is 48 hours.  The school pays all expenses.  Players and families meet the coaches at the hotel on Friday afternoon and go to dinner.  The recruit then goes out with their player/host.  Saturday is the comprehensive tour of facilities.  Athletes and families meet trainers, academic support staff, get questions answered about dorms, meals, etc. Saturday night is dinner with coaches and parents while recruits hang out with players.  Everyone gets together for breakfast Sunday and goes home.

Some players get invited to more than one game for unofficial visits.  Most official visits, I believe, take place during offseason, because games interrupt the 48 hour period filled with everything designed to help the recruit and his family know if the school and players are a good fit. 

That lines up with what I read online at the NCCA website.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The NewEra

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 24, 2018, 11:08:18 pm

+1 Excellent job of answering the question so that anyone can understand.

FANONTHEHILL

To add to bphi11ips excellent post above, the logistics of in-season "official visits" make them nearly impossible.  High school games on Friday nights, players work on Saturday and Sunday for the next Friday night, the logistics of travel, and so on make it hard for the players. 

On top of that, coaches on campus can't spend the time they need to and players can't be good hosts when they have their own game to prepare for.  The staff can't be at the Catfish Hole Friday night when LSU or Bama is at the hotel prepping for the game the next day.  The unofficial vists in season are nice.  Players and families get a game day feel.  It's another reason I was on the board last season asking people to come out and support the team despite the record.  Everyone knew the old staff was going to be fired, but I had more than one parent and family member that was on a visit ask me why their son should join something where the fans turn their backs on the kids when things are down.  I told them that change was coming and you just had to look past it.  Those unofficial visits make a big difference.  The families and players know that every minute of official visits are choreographed, but game days are more real.  That's why those visits are so important.  From the reports I've gotten from the visits during the break, Coach Morris and staff are doing an amazing job.   
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Thanks for the posts, bphi11ips and Fan. We've heard the official/unofficial terms a thousand times. Now we know.

PonderinHog

longtimeHogfan

Some good info.....thanks to all.  Well, almost all. 

HogimusMaximus

twistitup

all kinds of UNofficial things we can't discuss on the message boards

...what happens on an UNofficial visit ~
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 24, 2018, 09:48:10 pm

Same at TAMU............except it's with yell leaders.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 27, 2018, 06:39:56 pm
Same at TAMU............except it's with yell leaders.....................

and Mich St....except they make you feel really special - It's Dr time

Unofficial Treatments
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....