Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

tgh3316@tgh3316

Line of the night at #BourbonCigarDinner...Coach Brooks-"Guys I love to ride Harley's, I just don't like to ride them the way Petrino does!"

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ryan Callahan ‏@RyanCallahan247 21h21 hours ago

Jon Gruden calls UT 'dream job,' says 'timing wasn't right' during latest #Vols search: (FREE) http://bit.ly/1HuaYjg 

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/TheFulmerCup/status/635124247992659969

QuoteCourtney Coard, a defensive graduate assistant coach, was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 3:15 a.m. and released at 4:31 a.m. on bonds totaling $2,000 for the misdemeanor charges, according to the online jail log.

Coard is one of four graduate assistants listed on the staff directory this season.

He previously served as defensive line coach at North Carolina A&T. He also has coached at Grambling and North Carolina Central...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Mumme Bowl II – at Saban's house

QuoteHal and Matt Mumme are head coaches at a pair of Division III schools in the south – Hal at Belhaven and Matt at LaGrange College. Last August, the father-son tandem had the idea for their respective teams to "meet in the middle" and scrimmage in the Birmingham area; Hal brought his crew from Jackson, Miss., and Matt brought his from the Atlanta area, each about a three hour drive from the Birmingham area. Pat Sullivan and staff at Samford allowed the teams to scrimmage at their on-campus stadium but that time of year is susceptible to rain and lightning storms and, sure enough, lightning in the area delayed the inaugural Mumme Bowl a few hours.

Fast forward to 2015, and the Mummes had the idea to ask Nick Saban if they could hold their scrimmage – Mumme Bowl II – in Alabama's indoor facility. Saban, who has known the Mummes since before Matt was born, graciously allowed the teams to use Alabama's indoor, the locker room and other facilities as well.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/638083846601371648

QuoteVoight explained his reasons for taking the role of Coach Bryant in the independent movie "Woodlawn," made by Birmingham brothers Jon and Andy Erwin. Voight said he studied up on the Erwin Brothers and watched a video they made discussing filmmaking. "The joy they take in filmmaking – the best idea wins," Voight said. "(I decided) I like these guys. I'm going to do this film. And the fact that it was Bear Bryant."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Bulls/status/638329973854633984

QuoteShe was Amy Spurrier then, a third-year student at UF and a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority. After a third student was murdered, she moved in with her parents on Parker Road.

It was 25 years ago last week that Danny Rolling brought terror to Gainesville. The excitement of the Summer of Steve was replaced by the unthinkable. Someone was preying on the students. Five total were murdered.

On the football field, it was about to be the best of times at UF. But first, it was the worst of times.

"It was a terrible time in Gainesville," said Spurrier, 70, now the coach at South Carolina. "That cowardly guy. Obviously, you never forget the murders. Terrible. It was just a tragedy. There was some fear, some insecurity. We told the players who had steady girlfriends if they wanted to stay with them, that was fine."

• • •

Spurrier had been called back by his old school to lift the Gator football team out of mediocrity and an NCAA investigation that had cost Galen Hall his job. Spurrier, then 44, had been offered the job, but he didn't want it to be official until his Duke team had played in its bowl game...

jbcarol

Glenn Guilbeau ‏@LSUBeatTweet 2h2 hours ago

Amid storms, staff illnesses and suspensions, LSU coach Les Miles has just kept winning as he  hits the 11th season:

http://bit.ly/1Evyt16

QuoteHis second decade on the field begins Saturday when the No. 13 Tigers host McNeese State at 6:30 p.m. in Tiger Stadium.

Two hurricanes in less than a month impacted his first schedule in 2005, postponing his first season opener, then moving his second scheduled season opener to Arizona State and finally switching his third try at a home opener from a Saturday to the first Tiger Stadium edition of Monday Night Football.

"I was a brand new guy to this state and to the school," he said last week in the LSU football facility on Skip Bertman Drive that was not quite completed that first season when he and his staff spent part of the season in it and part in the old one next to Tiger Stadium while dodging storms.

He showed beginner's skill, winning 10 straight games in less than 10 weeks to win the Southeastern Conference West and finishing 11-2 overall and 7-1 in the SEC. Miles has won double-digit games in a season seven times out of 10 while winning three West titles, two SEC titles and one national championship while playing in two.

"There's a different personality with every team," Miles said. "There's a culture in this room that is hard work. And there's effort and physicality and really a great tradition that has been this room and this building. Our team continues that culture. They feed off of it. They enjoy it. Tradition is something that fuels them, but this is a different team."

It is only Miles' second team to come off a disappointing, 8-5 season. The last one was in 2008 and was followed by a 9-4 season in 2009, then 11-2, 13-1 and a pair of 10-3s.

"Our team, eight wins, certainly not enough," he said now and back then.

Another eight-win season could mean a hot seat for Miles entering the 2016 season.

jbcarol

Jim Kleinpeter ‏@JimKleinpeter 27m27 minutes ago

Website prediction: Nick Saban to leave #Alabama after 2015 season #lsu, @tigerdroppings, @lsufball http://s.nola.com/etRJqFH  via @nolanews

QuoteScott Roussel of Footballscoop.com:

"I can't support it by reportable facts, and of course there is no pressure from the administration; but from folks in the profession, I keep hearing "Nick isn't happy," "Nick seems miserable," "Nick is very frustrated," and I can foresee the very real possibility that Nick pulls the rip cord and ejects from Tuscaloosa after this season. Where that parachute will land, well, that has to play out, but I don't suspect T-Town will be Nick's final coaching stop."

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 12h12 hours ago

Yeah, turns out it was just James Franklin.

jbcarol

David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN

Bobby Bowden's thoughts on Mark Richt's tenure at #UGA...

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 13h13 hours ago

A look at how Auburn coaches have fared in Year 3: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/a_look_at_how_auburn_coaches_fared_year_3.html ...

QuotePat Dye remains as the most successful third-year coach in Auburn history. His 1983 squad finished 11-1 and won the SEC. Three organizations recognize the Tigers as national champions that season, too, though Auburn doesn't claim a title, officially.

The three coaches since the Dye era -- Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik -- did not win more than eight games in their third year and they all finished in the middle of the pack in the SEC.

In the modern era (since Ralph "Shug" Jordan), Auburn coaches own a 47-22-2 record (67.6 percent) in their third year...

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 14h14 hours ago

Huge chance Saturday for the Vols, who are just 2-29 vs. AP-ranked foes since Fulmer was fired in 2008. Fulmer was 42-37-1 vs. ranked foes.

jbcarol

We could be seeing the end of the Head Ball Coach Era tonight in Columbia.

jbcarol

David Cutcliffe update:

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 19h19 hours ago

Duke, with 21 wins in its last 29 games, and Northwestern, ranked No. 23, play as unbeatens this weekend. Not just the SAT Bowl anymore.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 4h4 hours ago

This is precisely why @DavidCutcliffe is as good a man in coaching as I've ever known. http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/85519/dukes-david-cutcliffe-reaches-out-to-injured-pitt-rb-james-conner ...

QuoteDuke coach David Cutcliffe is widely respected as one of the best coaches in the game. He also is one of the most genuine.

So it comes as no surprise that Cutcliffe sent a note to Pittsburgh running back James Conner wishing him a speedy recovery from a season-ending knee injury.

https://twitter.com/JamesConner_/status/643783765043642368

jbcarol

AJC UGA ‏@ChipTowersAJC 14h14 hours ago

Who'll coach longer, Mark Richt or Steve Spurrier? http://trib.al/2ySPAhh

QuoteUnlike Steve Spurrier, Mark Richt doesn't know how much longer he'll be coaching. But the Georgia coach predicts it will be a good while longer.

"I think the older you get the more you realize you've still got some juice, you know?" the 55-year-old Richt said Tuesday. "Coach Spurrier is still doing a great job. I don't even want to try to predict what's going to happen down the road. I do enjoy what I do and I want to continue to be influential in the lives of these young men, and also win ballgames for Georgia."

"Last year at this time I was 69, we were 11-2 and there was no question about my age," Spurrier said. "Now that we were 7-6 (last season) we've got some enemies out there. I've got some guys that don't like me out there talking and writing."

Richt was so sick with a cold on Tuesday that he needed a sports communication assistant to fetch him more tissue.

"I don't feel good today, but most days I feel pretty good," he quipped.

Because of his outspoken Christian beliefs and support of the Church's charitable and missionary causes, it has often been theorized that Richt could step away from coaching at any moment for those pursuits. He didn't necessarily shut the door on that notion.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 8h8 hours ago

Florida State 14, Boston College 0. That's the Steve Addazio offense I remember.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 45m45 minutes ago Georgia, USA

Interesting, Urban Meyer's first SEC win at Florida in 05 (16-7 v. Vols) similar to McElwain's (14-9 v. Ky). Low scoring, carried by D.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on September 21, 2015, 01:49:55 pm
https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/646019877657006080

Scott Rabalais ‏@RabalaisAdv 31m31 minutes ago

Miles asked about inviting Sid Ortis to sideline, youngster suffering from terminal cancer: He's a hero. that guy is very special.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 12h12 hours ago

Mark Richt downplays significance of possibly tying Wally Butts for 140 career wins: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article36341079.html ...

QuoteRicht is one win away from matching former Georgia head coach Wally Butts, who recorded 140 victories during his tenure from 1939-1960...

On average, Butts coached 10.7 games per season, meaning most years were in the 10-11 range.

Richt is in his 15th season averaged 13.1 games prior to this year.

However, Butts averaged 6.4 wins per season while Richt has averaged 9.7. In a broader sense, Butts won an average of 59.6 percent of his games while Richt has won an average of 74.3 percent of his.

Georgia houses its athletic programs at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall, named after Butts and former Georgia coach Harry Mehre. Located near the building is a statue of former head coach Vince Dooley. Only Butts and Dooley won national titles at Georgia, with Butts collecting his in 1942 and Dooley winning the program's most recent one in 1980. Dooley has the most wins in Georgia history with 201.

"We have a couple of SEC (titles) but you gotta win a national championship before they start naming stuff after you," Richt said

jbcarol

Gary ParrishVerified account
‏@GaryParrishCBS
Derek Dooley wins through 29 games at UT: 13
Butch Jones wins through 29 games at UT: 14
#JustBarelyBetter

Dooley did inherit Kiffin's players and Jones inherited Dooley's players.

jbcarol

Kevin Scarbinsky ‏@KevinScarbinsky Sep 28

Who's the only coach who started in the SEC in 2013 who didn't just get busted on Fractured Fairy Tale Saturday? http://ow.ly/SLZGK

Only coach in the SEC Class of 2013 who's won a conference game this year

QuoteRemember when the SEC hired four new head football coaches after the 2012 season?

Check back in [two weeks] after Auburn visits Kentucky for what should be a Midnight Madness-like Thursday night in Lexington.

Win there, and Mark Stoops could take one more step in his journey to become the tortoise to Malzahn's hare.

Don't look at Jones. He's in desperate need of someone to rush-publish "Coaching for Dummies: The Fourth Quarter."

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 1h1 hour ago

In my lifetime, Doug Dickey, Phillip Fulmer and John Majors were Tennessee football. Good to see them all together.

jbcarol

Graham Hack ‏@graham_hack24  17m17 minutes ago
McElwain is first #Gators coach to start 5-0 since Spurrier in 1990

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 6h6 hours ago

With #Bama's dominant win at #UGA Saturday, Nick Saban is now 18-7 against AP Top 10 teams.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 8m8 minutes ago

ICYMI: Dan Mullen ranks 16th among college coaches in terms of salary. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries

Sixth among coaches in the SEC West just ahead of Coach Bielema

jbcarol

Former Vandy coach whose biggest win was at SEC Media Days:

Aaron Brenner ‏@Aaron_Brenner 23h23 hours ago

Pick-me-up: Clemson OL coach Robbie Caldwell rescues stranded Notre Dame fans early Sunday http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20151007/PC20/151009457/clemson-assistant-coach-robbie-caldwell-gives-stranded-notre-dame-fans-a-lift ...

QuoteWhile the Luppis waited, close to 2 a.m., a man in a Clemson hat and polo shirt filling up on gas and fetching a Dr. Pepper passed the Notre Dame supporters in the store.

"Honestly, when he walked past us, I thought he was just a fan," Tony said. "On his way out, he asked, 'Do you guys know where you're going?' I said, 'Actually, we're waiting on a cab, but we'll pay you for a ride.'"

The man invited the Luppis to hop in his Chevy Suburban, but he said, "that (back) door don't work — you ride up with me in the front.'"

Tony and Larry looked nervously at one another.

"Larry goes, 'that's like a kidnapper's dream,' " Tony recalled. "We told him our phones were dead, no one knows where we are. We gave this guy way too much information about ourselves."

"At this point," Larry said, "I start thinking I should text my mom goodbye and tell her I love her and my family."

After reaching the hotel, Caldwell gave the Luppis directions to return to the highway toward Atlanta, stayed until their rental car started and refused to accept any compensation.

The men made their flight on time.

"Soon as we got to Atlanta we Googled him," Tony said. "We saw Robbie Caldwell was the head coach at Vanderbilt just five years ago, he coached at N.C. State. His whole story checked out. We're big college football fans and we had no idea."

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 7h7 hours ago

Gary Pinkel raked in $900K in bonuses last season, tops in the FBS according to USA Today- http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/08/coaches-bonuses-gary-pinkel/73553784/ ....

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Coach_Gattis/status/652484918350622721

Keegan-Michael Key Surprises Team during Homecoming Week

Penn State Homecoming Grand Marshal impersonates Coach Franklin during squad meeting during 2015 homecoming week.

jbcarol

MSU Football ‏@HailStateFB 19h19 hours ago

Congrats @CoachDanMullen on  becoming the third coach in @msstate history to win 50 games! #HailState

jbcarol

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 7h7 hours ago

Spurrier retiring, Mangus or Elliott lead interim candidates: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article38886768.html ...

QuoteSteve Spurrier informed his South Carolina team Monday night that he is retiring immediately and that an interim coach will be named Tuesday, according to multiple players and sources.

Quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus and co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Shawn Elliott are the leading candidates to be named interim head coach, according to sources.

Spurrier, who is 70, has a 228-89-2 career record at Duke, Florida and South Carolina. He is the Gamecocks' all-time winningest coach with 86 victories.

"Thank you coach!" Gamecocks great Marcus Lattimore tweeted Monday night. "Your impact will live forever in this state. Your legacy will never be forgotten I promise you that."

Gamecocks are 2-4 (0-4 SEC) to start 2015. Spurrier has never had a losing season as USC's coach, and the team has been bowl-eligible in his first 10 seasons.

Spurrier was introduced as USC's 32nd head coach on Nov. 23, 2004. He is 86-49 overall as USC's head coach. He surpassed Rex Enright's school record for wins when he recorded No. 65 at Clemson in the 2012 season finale.

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 7h7 hours ago

With 1 of the most experienced college coaches retiring, Stats and Info took a look at the career of Steve Spurrier. http://es.pn/1Musvzn

Quote1: Number of active college coaches who are ahead of Spurrier on the all-time wins list. Spurrier resigns with 228 wins, good for 13th on the overall list. The only coach ahead of Spurrier who is still active is Frank Beamer of Virginia Tech. Beamer has 234 wins and is tied for 10th overall.

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 7h7 hours ago Connecticut, USA

Best thing about my job is all the fascinating people I get to meet. But I never had more fun covering anybody than I did Steve Spurrier.

My column: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13876391/legendary-coach-steve-spurrier-was-one-kind-sorely-missed-college-football ...

jbcarol

Paul Myerberg ‏@PaulMyerberg 10h10 hours ago

Spurrier when a fire at Auburn destroyed 20 books: "The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 2h2 hours ago

THIS JUST IN: South Carolina's Co-offensive coordinator Shawn Elliott named interim coach for the remainder of the season. (via @ClowESPN)

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Connolly ‏@MattatTheState 24m24 minutes ago South Carolina, USA

Spurrier at USC- 6-4 vs. Clemson, 5-5 vs. Florida, 5-6 vs. Georgia, 5-5 vs. Tennessee. USC was 54-142-11 vs. those schools pre Spurrier.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Stewart Mandel Verified account
‏@slmandel

Steve Spurrier went 44-40 in the SEC at South Carolina and could get a parade. Mark Richt is 80-36 at Georgia and could get his car keyed.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 10h10 hours ago Romulus, MI

Alabama is 15-6 in matchups of AP top-10 teams since Saban was hired in 2007, those 15 wins seven more than any other coach over that span.

It is also a primer on SOS and how it affects the probability of making the College Football Playoff.  Saban is the best by far at winning v. Top 10 teams with 71.4%.  Play two top ten games in a season and the odds for the best of the best going 2-0 is 50%.  Play three and you are sitting at a 35%-36% of going 3-0.  Play none and you don't need a Saban-like track record to run the table.

jbcarol