Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback cheerleaders

Started by hoghearted, February 22, 2009, 01:22:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoggtownHog

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 25, 2009, 01:36:40 pm
You speak the truth. Seriously, we probably know each other or cheered on the same squad.
Quote from: hogchick26 on February 25, 2009, 01:36:40 pm
You speak the truth. Seriously, we probably know each other or cheered on the same squad.
I cheered at Cheer Central, UofA(97-98), UCA(98-01) and taught UCA staff in 97 and 99. I also coahed at River City while at UCA. My wife's parents owned it at the time. You may know my wife if not me. Are UCA's squads still any good?
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

razorshark

Quote from: razorbackmkh on February 22, 2009, 02:15:05 pm
Okay, I thought this was going to be a hot picture of the cheer squad in my defense. That being said the past administration was never very supportive of the competition squad. They do attend some camps that host competitions but nothing like the UCA Championships. There is technically a competition squad, they just don't do much competing. A very good friend of mine was on the squad in 05 and 06, they put a lot of hard work in for 500 dollars in book/expenses assistance a semester. Hopefully for the girls that will change in the near future.

This may all change because the Arkansas Activites Association has now formally recognized the High School Spirit Teams as a sport.
  http://www.ahsaa.org/article.asp?articleID=259
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

cbjagman

Quote from: ua_hogs on February 25, 2009, 01:26:49 am
never, and i mean never play poker with her unless you are horrible. 
Uh..............how about some strip poker? I promise you I'd find a way to win that game.
BTW no disrespect meant toward the young lady. In fact, she has my total ADMIRATION!!

hogchick26

Quote from: DoggtownHog on February 25, 2009, 03:50:10 pm
I cheered at Cheer Central, UofA(97-98), UCA(98-01) and taught UCA staff in 97 and 99. I also coahed at River City while at UCA. My wife's parents owned it at the time. You may know my wife if not me. Are UCA's squads still any good?
I came on campus and cheered in 98-00. I'm part of the class that allowed high school girls to tryout for cheer II. I staffed the same year you did. I did a UofA camp and tons of private camps. I know some of the River City and Cheer Central cheerleaders. I know they were the 2 top gyms in LR.

I don't know much about UofCen Ark's squads. I just heard it was hard to make the squad. One squad that isn't hard to make is UALR. I worked out with them for a semester (I was trying to "find myself" but met my hubby!), I quit because it was so unorganized, but ironically, they were training for a competition. I think they just wanted the trip to Florida.
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

ua_hogs

Quote from: cbjagman on February 25, 2009, 04:11:59 pm
Uh..............how about some strip poker? I promise you I'd find a way to win that game.
BTW no disrespect meant toward the young lady. In fact, she has my total ADMIRATION!!

her husband might have something to say about that, but ya never know.

mcfly5

So do you know Rick DeSpain? Ahem.....

BTW, I know your inlaws. They are very nice people. I probally know your wife as well. I used to judge tryouts at River City yearly. Does Sunshine still have RC?

gibby

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 25, 2009, 01:38:15 pm
UCA is a very hard squad to make, from what I hear. Good luck to your daughter!

Thanks HogChick, I'll pass that along.  My daughter purposely decided *not* try out for UCA because of the rigorous approach, and because she doesn't have a competitive cheer background.  Her background is in competitive gymnastics and high school cheer.

Any advice for her at this point?

cw2

Quote from: stchane on February 23, 2009, 09:24:45 pm
Since you and NLR-Hog obviously are the only ones in this thread who have a clue, would yall be so kind as to elaborate a little bit for the rest of us?  And you wouldn't happen to be from Hot Springs would you?

They aren't the only ones that have a clue, just the only ones that will discuss it.  I and my brother both cheered at Uof A.  I left after having to deal with Nail for a year. He put up with her crap for 4 yrs.  Both of them are correct.  It is big business, and very demanding on time.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I don't volunteer the information in my profession now.

SpareRib

Quote from: hogbomination on February 22, 2009, 11:42:35 pm
as a male human, ive loved the cheerleaders of darn near any squad, esp the hogs.. but a couple years ago  one of my old classmates daughter was on the squad, and dang it, it ruined the whole deal for me...  im still in therapy for it

When my daughter was in Fayetteville, I loved/hated it when she brought her "little friends" home.  Dang, I really had to have a talk with myself.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

hogchick26

Quote from: gibby on February 26, 2009, 08:21:46 am
Thanks HogChick, I'll pass that along.  My daughter purposely decided *not* try out for UCA because of the rigorous approach, and because she doesn't have a competitive cheer background.  Her background is in competitive gymnastics and high school cheer.

Any advice for her at this point?
My advice is for her to give it a shot. Is she a flyer (in stunting)? If so, with her gymnastic background, she could be a threat because I'm sure she can throw a full or do things that without that training, a typical cheerleader would have a to work hard to throw a full running or in a basket toss. If she a good technical cheerleader, can tumble, and stunt, she should tryout. She has nothing to lose. I help alot of girls prepare for cheer tryouts, if she has any questions, tell her to PM me through you and I'll try and answer her the best I can.

hogchick26

Quote from: cw2 on February 26, 2009, 08:36:31 am
They aren't the only ones that have a clue, just the only ones that will discuss it.  I and my brother both cheered at Uof A.  I left after having to deal with Nail for a year. He put up with her crap for 4 yrs.  Both of them are correct.  It is big business, and very demanding on time.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I don't volunteer the information in my profession now.
Right. I don't want to out anyone or go into major detail. I could, but I feel I've voiced my opinion and opposition to the people I thought could make a change. Very little was done, but I can't dwell on it. I'll put is this way, it was an amazing experience to cheer on the Hogs, but it came with a price.

DoggtownHog

Quote from: mcfly5 on February 25, 2009, 09:05:10 pm
So do you know Rick DeSpain? Ahem.....

BTW, I know your inlaws. They are very nice people. I probally know your wife as well. I used to judge tryouts at River City yearly. Does Sunshine still have RC?
Yeah, Rick is a shady as they come. I wasn't fully aware of it at the time I cheered there. Yes Sunshine owns the cheer side. The gymnastics side is owned seperately. Yes my inlaws are nice people.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

stchane

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 25, 2009, 05:22:20 pm
I came on campus and cheered in 98-00. 

So you cheered with Renee Thompson?
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hogchick26

Quote from: stchane on February 26, 2009, 11:03:18 am
So you cheered with Renee Thompson?
Yes I did! My first year. One of the sweetest people I've ever met.

AckaBacka

February 26, 2009, 01:23:27 pm #64 Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:31:29 pm by AckaBacka
Quote from: JAMAHog on February 22, 2009, 08:25:37 pm
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about it would be better.  I know some of the cheerleaders and am very familiar with what they do.  Jean Nail is the Spirit Coordinator.  For the past 8 years she has had a full-time cheer coach, who also works for Universal Cheerleaders Association in the Summer. She was able to add a pom coach this year.  If you've coached major college level cheer, then surely you know there's much more to it than just going to practice and games.

They appear at football, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, make appearances at tennis, and have the RBI girls who perform at baseball games.  Also, when we go to bowl games (which we will be back at soon!!!!) or other post season stuff, they go to that as well.  They do hundreds of events, including community service and charity events, visits to local schools, nursing homes, etc...they practice 3-4 days a week.  They do all of this in addition to being required to carry a full class load. 

Both Cheer and Pom members, themselves, get to vote whether to compete.  With Summer camp, they only get two months off in the Summer anyway.  Plus, competing at nationals requires giving up even more of their time over Christmas break, when other students get to go home to see their families. Some of the cheerleaders still hold jobs to stay in school.

They did an awesome halftime performance at the LSU game last week.   And I know some pom members who spend lots of time getting the show lights set for their dances. I think we should be thankful for what they already do instead of complaining that they don't try to win their own awards.

I would think that the cheerleaders at Kentucky, bama, and UCA would have similar obligations as well, and it doesn't seem to prevent them from competing.  I dont really care much about cheerleaders, I just like to point out flaws in peoples arguments.  I'm also trying to get 2 more smites so I will be in balance.

SRFL

I used to get drink half my weight at River City.  Small world.

stchane

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 26, 2009, 01:18:26 pm
Yes I did! My first year. One of the sweetest people I've ever met.

I grew up around to corner from her and her family......good people
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

cw2

Quote from: AckaBacka on February 26, 2009, 01:23:27 pm
I would think that the cheerleaders at Kentucky, bama, and UCA would have similar obligations as well, and it doesn't seem to prevent them from competing.  I dont really care much about cheerleaders, I just like to point out flaws in peoples arguments.  I'm also trying to get 2 more smites so I will be in balance.
People at those schools do have to meet similar obligations.  It isn't a flaw in the argument.  THOSE squads are also on full scholarships, and in some cases have stipends to go with them.  They are compensated very well for their time at the university.  They also receive treatment from their schools as if they were on the field wearing cleats; unlike the U of A.

Hogman 24

I can tell you for a fact that Ark cheerleaders do want to compete in competitions but Jean is old school and and doesn't want to mess with it.  My little girl takes lessons with one of the cheerleaders at Team Cheer in Fayetteville and i ask this person this very question on why they don't compete.

Hog Van Ham

Quote from: Hogman 24 on February 26, 2009, 09:16:43 pm
I can tell you for a fact that Ark cheerleaders do want to compete in competitions but Jean is old school and and doesn't want to mess with it.  My little girl takes lessons with one of the cheerleaders at Team Cheer in Fayetteville and i ask this person this very question on why they don't compete.

That is odd because the facts that I know are that they have tried to field competitive squads, but members back out of their commitments or academics leaving an uneven amount of guys willing to commit compared to the low number of girls available.  It has happen every year.  Part one is to send in their national video to be considered to compete.  If you do not rank high enough on video scores, then you are not invited.  The pom squad did submit a national tape this year.  We have had squad couples send in videos to nationals in recent years.  As stated before, the members of the squads have many responsibilities in addition to their academic work for the amount of scholarships available to them.    But to say that Jean does not want to mess with fielding a competitive squad is not true.

It is in the Spirit Squad Try-Out information each year.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf5/378300.pdf?ATCLID=3671707&SPSID=30797&SPID=2426&DB_OEM_ID=6100

"Competition Squads - Cheer and Pom:
1. Nationals Cheer Squad: A competition squad of 16 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Cheer Red and Cheer White squad. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment.

2. Nationals Dance Squad: A competition squad of 14 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Pom Red and Pom White squads. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment."

gibby

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 26, 2009, 09:14:12 am
I help alot of girls prepare for cheer tryouts, if she has any questions, tell her to PM me through you and I'll try and answer her the best I can.

You've got mail.  Or in this case, a PM.  She's been prepping at the old River City, whatever it is now.  And she also got some 1:1 time with a gymanstics coach in Conway.

AckaBacka

Quote from: cw2 on February 26, 2009, 05:42:10 pm
People at those schools do have to meet similar obligations.  It isn't a flaw in the argument.  THOSE squads are also on full scholarships, and in some cases have stipends to go with them.  They are compensated very well for their time at the university.  They also receive treatment from their schools as if they were on the field wearing cleats; unlike the U of A.
Well the argument that I read was that the UofA doesn't compete because of all these obligations.  Nothing was said in that post about the differences in compensation, full scholarships, etc. To which I replied that the schools that do compete and win ALSO have those same obligations.  So that must not be the reason.  Now that you add the compensation the argument begins to make more sense.  But just saying that the UofA didnt compete because of all the obligations was flawed in my opinion. 

Pigmund Freud

What's wrong with looking good? It hasn't hurt USC. Or do all the kids have to get a trophy in college , too.

cw2

Quote from: Hog Van Ham on February 26, 2009, 09:50:58 pm
That is odd because the facts that I know are that they have tried to field competitive squads, but members back out of their commitments or academics leaving an uneven amount of guys willing to commit compared to the low number of girls available.  It has happen every year.  Part one is to send in their national video to be considered to compete.  If you do not rank high enough on video scores, then you are not invited.  The pom squad did submit a national tape this year.  We have had squad couples send in videos to nationals in recent years.  As stated before, the members of the squads have many responsibilities in addition to their academic work for the amount of scholarships available to them.    But to say that Jean does not want to mess with fielding a competitive squad is not true.

It is in the Spirit Squad Try-Out information each year.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf5/378300.pdf?ATCLID=3671707&SPSID=30797&SPID=2426&DB_OEM_ID=6100

"Competition Squads - Cheer and Pom:
1. Nationals Cheer Squad: A competition squad of 16 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Cheer Red and Cheer White squad. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment.

2. Nationals Dance Squad: A competition squad of 14 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Pom Red and Pom White squads. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment."
Just because the site says that, doesn't make it true.  read between the lines in the second sentence of 1.  You are correct about the process for an invitation to nationals, though.