Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst jockey EVER to consistently ride Oaklawn and surrounding area tracks?

Started by HogFanInBryant, June 04, 2016, 07:09:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

In my humble opinion, it has to be Talarico.  I started going to Oaklawn regularly in the early 90's so I've seen some bad ones come and go.  I remember one time he was riding a 15-1 shot in a mile race...pretty sure it was a decent group of allowance horses (he rarely had mounts in anything better than a $10k claiming race).  He got loose on a lone lead through some stupid slow fractions and coming for home in the final turn he got the filly too close to the rail and she slammed into it twice really hard.  He was up about 5 lengths on the field and would have cruised to an easy win.  The filly started fighting him and basically quit running and finished mid pack.  Some old Hispanic guy standing near me had a fit...never heard so many cuss words screamed in a foreign language haha!  I think he would ride also at LA Downs and sometimes at Lone Star if I remember correctly?  Here is some info I found on him:
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=J&eID=1845

I'd love to hear any stories anyone has about Talarico or any others that were consistently terrible...

husker71

there are a few jockeys I will not bet on but some are actually winning jockeys just bad when I bet on their mount.  Rosier is a capable enough jockey but he and my money just dont mix.

mckinneyhog5

Ken Shinio.  Don't know if it was the mounts or just bad riding but he couldn't win to save his life.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

jdelo77

ghostzapper

cbhawg03

Quote from: ghostzapper on June 06, 2016, 02:49:51 pm
Jon Court.

There was an F U that might have been said in the direction of Court by someone around here lol

Court
Borel

Personally don't want Israel Ocampo or David Mello riding anything that I'm going to wager on. 

Some big time jockeys have had some serious head scratchers though too, Javier on The Big Beast comes to mind. Julien Leparoux has had a few too, think it was last year at Saratoga that he was horrible for the entire meet.

Anyone remember that race at Pimlico the Friday before the Preakness either last year or the year before, female jockey on a clear winner and misjudges the finish line by like a 1/16th of a mile and gets nailed at the wire? Think it was old jockeys or something like that in a race, maybe retired.

jdelo77

Javier kills me at anything below 5/1 ...anything over that and I'm betting him ! But I can't single him in a pick 3/4/5 at all ! He always kills me ...Here's some jockeys that have killed my chances at decent scores over the years ..

Javier castellano
Corey Lanerie
Jose lezcano ( ruined a good pick 4 last Saturday )
Borel
Court
I'm sure there are others ...

cbhawg03

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 06, 2016, 04:16:07 pm
Javier kills me at anything below 5/1 ...anything over that and I'm betting him ! But I can't single him in a pick 3/4/5 at all ! He always kills me ...Here's some jockeys that have killed my chances at decent scores over the years ..

Javier castellano
Corey Lanerie
Jose lezcano ( ruined a good pick 4 last Saturday )
Borel
Court
I'm sure there are others ...

How many would list Lanerie just over rides this year in Triple Crown prep races at FG?

I can't hit Pletcher at all, one time and that was in AR Derby with Micromanage? I know it wasn't the longshot Pletcher winner but can't remember the name of the horse. Other than that one time, he will beat me or he will lose when I bet him.  I had 4 out of 6 in a leg of a pick 4 and lost to a Pletcher horse. I hate that bastard.

jdelo77

jdelo77

The biggest pick 4 I've ever been alive to last summer at Saratoga (21k) I was alive to a chad brown 2nd time starter  with Irad aboard , TP had a 1ster with Velazquez on him , I tossed him because pletcher rarely won with 1st timers on turf ! Worst beat I've ever had .....

HogFanInBryant

Let me add to this list Carlos Gonzalez.  I have seen him mess up rides more times than not...and I remember Rick Lee used to love him being on a horse he was touting?????

HogFanInBryant

cbhawg03

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 06, 2016, 05:15:13 pm
Overanalyze ...he was 9/2 or 5-1 I think ...

Yes, had like $50 to win on him, only Pletcher winner I've ever had. Either don't bet him and lose or bet him and he loses.

Side question, is there a training tree that has more injured horses than the Lukas tree? That includes Lukas himself obviously but Todd does the same thing and doesn't even run them as much.

userpick

HawgWild

I told my story on him in another thread but one handicapping angle I used at OP back in the 1980's was that if Tim Doocy was on a horse, I threw him out.

OPSteve

John McKee, a lot of bad rides but his worst was on Lawyer Ron in the Super Derby, cost Holthus his horse.

PineyWoodsRooter

How can you talk about poor jockeys at Oaklawn over the last 20 years and not mention Otto.

Iwastherein1969

Back in the late 80's a good friend of mine from Camden, AR named Mark and myself used to hang out on the rail (after a few beers) and give so much grief to a rider named Scott Miller...dude was 0-88 deep into March....he finally won a race before the meet's end ...but ol' Scott was 0-88 and was told about it every day he rode by Bradshaw and myself

ad: as for jockeys who won races every now and then but could screw up a church wedding, my vote goes for Ronald "I need drugs, any kind of drugs" Ardoin...oh, and as for worst dancer for a HOF jockey, a very young Mike Smith who we used to get drunk with at the old Holiday Inn lounge and dance floor on Lake Hamilton...back in those days Mike had a full head of hair and THRILLER got all the females on the dance floor....them wuz da days...back when groups of married women would roll into Hot Springs for a 'girls weekend out' and look to get some strange which was easy to oblige espeically when you are 24....oh, and the weekend at least half of the sorority from UCA showed up....the ratio of female to male was oh, about 5 to 1....EZ pickins
The long Grey line will never fail our country.