Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trojan Nation, the maiden who lost the wood by a nose?

Started by HogFanInBryant, April 19, 2016, 09:57:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

Watch this race again.  Tell me why nobody is talking about this horse.  Why should one think he won't move forward off this race and appreciate the longer distance in the KY Derby?  Just some food for thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXVn1g0DwQ

HogFanInBryant

Breeding won't be an issue...this dude is supposed to run all freaking day:

Outran by only a head by Outwork, maiden Trojan Nation has emerged from his near-upset of the Grade 1, $1 million Wood Memorial in fine order, California-based trainer Paddy Gallagher said by phone Sunday morning.

Trojan Nation, owned and bred by Julie Gilbert and Dr. Aaron Sones, has been winless in six starts with three third-place finishes in addition to Saturday's explosive runner-up performance at 81-1, but now boasts more than $200,000 in earnings and 40 points towards a berth in the Grade 1, $2 million Kentucky Derby.

"He's a horse that always trains really well, we kind of hoped that he was putting everything together racing wise and it was another big step up," said Gallagher. "It was his first cross country ship and he got [to New York] early, two or three days out from the race, so he got a chance to settle in real good."

He added that Trojan Nation, a well-bred bay colt by Street Cry out of 1996 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies and Eclipse Award winner Storm Song, will regroup at Gallagher's training base at Santa Anita, but could well make his next start in the "Run for the Roses" May 7 at Churchill Downs.

"I talked with the owners last night, and he's definitely in consideration for the Derby," he said. "We've got about a month until the race so he's going to ship back here back to California either Tuesday or Wednesday and we'll train him here before making a final decision and deciding when to ship to Kentucky."

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on April 19, 2016, 09:57:10 pm
Watch this race again.  Tell me why nobody is talking about this horse.  Why should one think he won't move forward off this race and appreciate the longer distance in the KY Derby?  Just some food for thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXVn1g0DwQ
Boy, I thought the Ark Deby stretch call was bad..if you're wondering what I'm talking about, that's not Adventist coming up the rail, it's Trojan Nation.

To your point, it's hard for me to judge a horse based on one race, ran on an off track. There is nothing that could happen between now and the derby that I can see happening that would have me change my mind.  Plus the horse also has as much of a chance to bounce then to move forward.  IMHO
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

kingoftherapids

you can't give me money to bet on a horse from the wood. the 3 year old fillies on the same card ran faster... and their splits in the back half were like almost 27 seconds for a quarter and over 14 for the last 8th. i thought it was by far the weakest prep

cbhawg03

Quote from: kingoftherapids on April 20, 2016, 02:12:33 am
you can't give me money to bet on a horse from the wood. the 3 year old fillies on the same card ran faster... and their splits in the back half were like almost 27 seconds for a quarter and over 14 for the last 8th. i thought it was by far the weakest prep

Pretty sure I read somewhere it was the slowest Wood Memorial ever.

HogFanInBryant

They got a Beyer of 93 which puts them about 7-10 behind the California horses who are right around 100.  Nyquist only got 94 in the Fla Derby which does nothing but add more confusion.  I don't think I'd jump up and throw out the Wood runners just yet.  I did read where that track was super slow...other than just sloppy so who knows?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on April 20, 2016, 09:00:49 am
They got a Beyer of 93 which puts them about 7-10 behind the California horses who are right around 100.  Nyquist only got 94 in the Fla Derby which does nothing but add more confusion.  I don't think I'd jump up and throw out the Wood runners just yet.  I did read where that track was super slow...other than just sloppy so who knows?
Exactly..there is no way judge anything about that race. I would say the best horse won that race but then again that's not saying much.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.