Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calvin Borel RETIRING

Started by kingoftherapids, March 30, 2016, 08:51:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingoftherapids

I know some of you will rejoice.  One of the greatest of my generation. 3 derbys and probably the best overall ride in the kentucky derby ever on mine that bird. 5,146 wins so far (on at oaklawn thru the weekend at least. be interesting to see if he ride the meet out... he still has ivan) 127+ million in earnings. he will get a lot of fishing done in the near future. congrats on a great hall of fame career

jdelo77

He's had a great career no denying that !!! But I think he's lost some of his luster these last few years , I guess since the guy is retiring I won't hold a grudge on him ....I agree he gave MTB a hell of a ride to win that derby ..,

cbhawg03

Quote from: kingoftherapids on March 30, 2016, 08:51:43 am
I know some of you will rejoice.  One of the greatest of my generation. 3 derbys and probably the best overall ride in the kentucky derby ever on mine that bird. 5,146 wins so far (on at oaklawn thru the weekend at least. be interesting to see if he ride the meet out... he still has ivan) 127+ million in earnings. he will get a lot of fishing done in the near future. congrats on a great hall of fame career

Ivan won't run again at the meet, quarter crack

kingoftherapids

Quote from: jdelo77 on March 30, 2016, 11:18:07 am
He's had a great career no denying that !!! But I think he's lost some of his luster these last few years , I guess since the guy is retiring I won't hold a grudge on him ....I agree he gave MTB a hell of a ride to win that derby ..,
oh he definitely has. less than 10 percent rider this year. he is just fortunate to walk away from the profession on his own terms and not in a wheelchair or coffin. for that we can all give thanks for

longtimeHogfan

One of my all-time favorites.  Wish him the best.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HogFanInBryant

I really don't think Borel had a lot of God-given talent to be honest.  I do think he is one of the cases of a guy who just outworked everyone else until his time came in the spotlight.  Yes he has always been talented, but not like a Talamo who was put on the earth to be a great jockey hard work or not.  Borel is genuine as they come and from what I hear no rider loves his horses more than he.

hogoffate

Congratulations on  a "healthy retirement to the man.  I was lucky enough to have his last winner at OP (Thrylos) and he rode him all the way around on the rail and upset an Assmussen runner..  Classic Bo-rail ride

Porked Tongue

Something seems missing here.  He's a odd duck and I just have to think there is another shoe to drop.

kingoftherapids

i bet this is the shoe... he was tired of trying to be an 105 pound old man. could you imagine being the same weight in junior high as you are at 50. brutal lifestyle.

oldman1015

Quote from: kingoftherapids on April 05, 2016, 01:07:13 pm
i bet this is the shoe... he was tired of trying to be an 105 pound old man. could you imagine being the same weight in junior high as you are at 50. brutal lifestyle.
I'm 51 and sore from playing golf sunday. can't imagine what a jockey feels like.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

jdelo77

There's a documentary , Shane sellers , randy romoero and Chris rosier are the main guys in it , it talks about what they do to keep the weight down its brutal ...

oldman1015

Quote from: jdelo77 on April 05, 2016, 03:29:56 pm
There's a documentary , Shane sellers , randy romoero and Chris rosier are the main guys in it , it talks about what they do to keep the weight down its brutal ...
I've seen it and yes it is.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

kingoftherapids

Quote from: oldman1015 on April 05, 2016, 03:36:25 pm
I've seen it and yes it is.

It definitely is a horrid deal for a lot of guys.

hawginbigd1

A little oddity for some, one of my 3 favorite jocks, along with Larry Snyder, and Willie the Shoe. Now who is my guy? I have no idea.