Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Murf Baldwin's Brooks Ellis can replace Spaight film study

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 05, 2015, 10:34:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback44

Quote from: hawgsalot on March 08, 2015, 12:37:21 pm
We've got some solid young and very talented young lbs.  Randy Ramsey being one that is going to play a lot somewhere.  Stud Stud!  I think the young guys development will dictate where Ellis plays, we really like to cross train positions.

I imagine Ramsey will win the SLB spot.  He looked very impressive in the action he got early in the year.  He's definitely raw but he has the physical tools to excel in this defense going forward.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: lrar4hogs on March 05, 2015, 12:53:50 pm
Ellis sort of reminds me of Caleb Miller from some time back.  His tackling up high is very similar.  Ellis is a little thicker than miller was, but a step slower too.  Caleb Miller was a great tackler but not a "thumper".  Ellis is the same way.  Once he gets a little stronger and uses his hands better his deficiencies can hidden more effectively.  I think Ellis had surprising speed.  I still have the play in my head of him running down swoopes of Texas. 
Yea!  This play highlights his speed and open field tackling ability!

SECisKing

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 07, 2015, 05:30:53 pm
I thought of the same thing. I remember that Swoopes rolled out left thinking he would just avoid Ellis but he ended up throwing the ball away because he got there a lot quicker than he anticipated. Ellis moved to W we might end up seeing a "Spaight" type year statistically. Just as you stated in your article Murf!

For those that didn't see the play, check out this video at the 15:21 mark.

(If you click this link it will take you to the exact time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_jhl4rMFGM&t=921)

Good stuff, TJ!!
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

SECisKing

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 07, 2015, 08:23:20 pm
This is spot on with my assessment of Ellis, this has been a  big problem for us, he has been unable to disengage from blockers and sift through the trash as most of his tackles have come in the over 7 yard range. His strength has been pass coverage, maybe this outside spot will help him become better.

As someone who played the "Mike" and couldn't get off blocks, I'm here to tell you playing on the outside is what the doctor ordered!!!

SECisKing

Ok Hogville, my favorite place for Arkansas stuff, will you please provide me with the pleasure of checking out "Ball Hawg" the new podcast from @Sec_Chad and I discussing my Hunter Henry & Brooks Ellis articles, the Singleton hire, the Bermuda Triangle's NFL exploits and much more.

I think it's a great listen as we really go in-depth scheme-wise, as we always will, and really lay it out for Razorback nation. If you like my writing, hopefully, you'll like me behind that mic as well. Fans seem to dig me a little bit on 93.3 The Jock's Game On w/ Wess Moore, Michael Smith and Mike Irwin, so this is that plus more!!

Please listen and hit me at MurfBaldwin@gmail.com to tell me what you think and fire us some questions to talk about. It's on stitcher now, which is a free app just sign up, and will be on iTunes, shortly.

But it will be on a network we were hired by to do the podcast when it launches in a few weeks. So let me know, and thanks for all the love on the articles. Much more to come as I transition from Alabama to Arkansas as my primary team to cover...

http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/62458/episodes    <----Just sign up with your email and create a password. You can download the app on your phone, too...