Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Murf Baldwin's Brooks Ellis can replace Spaight film study

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 05, 2015, 10:34:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Missooie

Awesome read. Really hope Ellis will be able to have the same production as Spaight, if not better. He definitely has an insane amount of instincts for the game.

ricepig

Quote from: Missooie on March 05, 2015, 10:50:42 am
Awesome read. Really hope Ellis will be able to have the same production as Spaight, if not better. He definitely has an insane amount of instincts for the game.

I guess I'm in the minority, I still see Brooks as an inside guy.

SECisKing

What up, Hogville? Thanks to the OP for the love on the article.

In my honest assessment, Brooks has what it takes to play that "Will" spot in Spaight's stead. And don't sleep on that Kiko Alonso comparison, either. Both are really good athletes who work the area coverage game something serious.

Oh yeah, sorry about that inclement weather for all you Arkansans, too.
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

SECisKing

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 11:45:16 am
Why's that, Rice?

He seemed to struggle some in space last year, but like I said, the coaches seem to think he can switch to it.

sooeey pig pig pig

Hogs run wild

Ellis can replace Spaight, but who's going to replace Ellis? You know what I mean.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 11:50:55 am
He seemed to struggle some in space last year, but like I said, the coaches seem to think he can switch to it.

Yeah that's why the "Will" spot may be more beneficial for him. More times than not, he'd be chasing down the plays opposed to encountering them head on like a "Mike" or "Sam." But I definitely understand those concerns. And I'm glad the coaches and I agree. I spent a segment on it in the new "Ball Hag" podcast recorded a week and a half ago but is not out yet.. :( Help!!! haha

SECisKing

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 05, 2015, 11:53:30 am
Ellis can replace Spaight, but who's going to replace Ellis? You know what I mean.

I spent a little time on Josh Williams in the article...

SECisKing

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 11:54:57 am
Yeah that's why the "Will" spot may be more beneficial for him. More times than not, he'd be chasing down the plays opposed to encountering them head on like a "Mike" or "Sam." But I definitely understand those concerns. And I'm glad the coaches and I agree. I spent a segment on it in the new "Ball Hag" podcast recorded a week and a half ago but is not out yet.. :( Help!!! haha

That's my concern, chasing down those plays, his speed and lateral quickness. I know he needs to be out there for sure, I'm sure they'll have him in the best position for him and the team.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 11:55:30 am
I spent a little time on Josh Williams in the article...
thanks! We'll need some more Robb Smith magic this year.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 12:02:07 pm
That's my concern, chasing down those plays, his speed and lateral quickness. I know he needs to be out there for sure, I'm sure they'll have him in the best position for him and the team.

Dang, really? I hear you, bro. However, I thoroughly disagree. In a foot race, i'd be willing to put my money on Ellis over Spaight. And I think Ellis' read-and-decipher is top notch. Although I don't believe he's meant to disengage from blocks and sift through the trash. I was a very similar LB to Ellis, believe you me, playing that Will matched my skill set a ton better than the Mike...

jrulz83

Last sentence of the article:

QuoteNow all that's left is to figure out who takes over in Flowers and Philon's stead.

Replace the better defensive linemen on the team, that's all! I'm not saying that I don't think somebody will step up, but they had big impacts that will be hard to replace.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

SECisKing

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 05, 2015, 12:16:33 pm
Last sentence of the article:

Replace the better defensive linemen on the team, that's all! I'm not saying that I don't think somebody will step up, but they had big impacts that will be hard to replace.

I'm sorry JRulz, I can't follow the first part of your comment. But yeah they will be tough to replace. But that was more of a setup statement in the article. I already have my end and tackle to replace them, in theory at least lol.

Thanks for the read and comment.

**Edit** Ok I get it now, you were being facetious!!! Well played, sir!

jrulz83

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 12:20:33 pm
I'm sorry JRulz, I can't follow the first part of your comment. But yeah they will be tough to replace. But that was more of a setup statement in the article. I already have my end and tackle to replace them, in theory at least lol.

Thanks for the read and comment.

**Edit** Ok I get it now, you were being facetious!!! Well played, sir!

Definite facetiousness.  :)

BTW I enjoyed the article.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Steef

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 11:44:48 am

In my honest assessment, Brooks has what it takes to play that "Will" spot in Spaight's stead. And don't sleep on that Kiko Alonso comparison, either. Both are really good athletes who work the area coverage game something serious.

Great article.

Please visit often.

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 12:05:58 pm
Dang, really? I hear you, bro. However, I thoroughly disagree. In a foot race, i'd be willing to put my money on Ellis over Spaight. And I think Ellis' read-and-decipher is top notch. Although I don't believe he's meant to disengage from blocks and sift through the trash. I was a very similar LB to Ellis, believe you me, playing that Will matched my skill set a ton better than the Mike...

Really? Well, I guess that's why I'm not a coach, I'd have Spaight over Ellis in a foot race.

SECisKing

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 05, 2015, 12:23:48 pm
Definite facetiousness.  :)

BTW I enjoyed the article.

lol, I'll take "humourous" for five, Bob!!

Thanks, bro. I appreciate it.

SECisKing

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 12:29:53 pm
Really? Well, I guess that's why I'm not a coach, I'd have Spaight over Ellis in a foot race.

Man Spaight isn't the fastest 'backer I've ever seen and that was before that 4.8 or 4.9 40 he ran at the combine. He's an instinctive player who works well in space and plays super physical. I think Ellis is the better overall athlete...But it's only an opinion, ya know?

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 12:32:42 pm
Man Spaight isn't the fastest 'backer I've ever seen and that was before that 4.8 or 4.9 40 he ran at the combine. He's an instinctive player who works well in space and plays super physical. I think Ellis is the better overall athlete...But it's only an opinion, ya know?

Yeah, opinions, haha. I thought Brooks had to do a lot more reach tackling in space, where Spaight didn't.

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 12:35:52 pm
Yeah, opinions, haha. I thought Brooks had to do a lot more reach tackling in space, where Spaight didn't.

Brooks had to do a lot of trash sifting and block defeating, too. I mostly noticed missed tackles from Ellis due to poor tackling technique where he always tried to tackle high. I'm sure he'll get that under control, though. And, yes, Spaight is a hitter as he's the more physical of the two. Ellis is the more fluid athlete. That's why he excels in coverage as I didn't really see that from Spaight.

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 12:40:22 pm
Brooks had to do a lot of trash sifting and block defeating, too. I mostly noticed missed tackles from Ellis due to poor tackling technique where he always tried to tackle high. I'm sure he'll get that under control, though. And, yes, Spaight is a hitter as he's the more physical of the two. Ellis is the more fluid athlete. That's why he excels in coverage as I didn't really see that from Spaight.

Well, lots of the time we played only 2 LB's, so they were more Will and Sam, it seemed. I played back in the days of the 52 monster, so I'm not as up on my terminology as I should. Like I said, they'll put him in the best place for our defense.

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 12:46:14 pm
Well, lots of the time we played only 2 LB's, so they were more Will and Sam, it seemed. I played back in the days of the 52 monster, so I'm not as up on my terminology as I should. Like I said, they'll put him in the best place for our defense.

In a sub package, you have to keep that "Mike" backer in. You'd remove the "Sam" and put a DB in his place as you wouldn't want your "Sam" on a receiver. You'll then hand those "Y" responsibilities over to the "Mike." Having two OLB's on the field at the same time would be to your detriment if they decided to run the ball. Mike would fill and spill while the "Will" would be the cleanup man.

Yeah i hear you on that "52," though.

SECisKing

lrar4hogs

Ellis sort of reminds me of Caleb Miller from some time back.  His tackling up high is very similar.  Ellis is a little thicker than miller was, but a step slower too.  Caleb Miller was a great tackler but not a "thumper".  Ellis is the same way.  Once he gets a little stronger and uses his hands better his deficiencies can hidden more effectively.  I think Ellis had surprising speed.  I still have the play in my head of him running down swoopes of Texas. 

tophawg19

Ellis is a faster slide and slash player where spaight was more straight forward hammer style. i think your right in the OP . Ellis can fill the role and williams will be a very good MLB . the SLB is the one i worry most about . Going against the TE and OT is going to require a physical player , strong at the point of attack.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SECisKing

Quote from: lrar4hogs on March 05, 2015, 12:53:50 pm
Ellis sort of reminds me of Caleb Miller from some time back.  His tackling up high is very similar.  Ellis is a little thicker than miller was, but a step slower too.  Caleb Miller was a great tackler but not a "thumper".  Ellis is the same way.  Once he gets a little stronger and uses his hands better his deficiencies can hidden more effectively.  I think Ellis had surprising speed.  I still have the play in my head of him running down swoopes of Texas.

Man I forgot about Miller! Really liked him back in the day.

SECisKing

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 05, 2015, 01:08:39 pm
Ellis is a faster slide and slash player where spaight was more straight forward hammer style. i think your right in the OP . Ellis can fill the role and williams will be a very good MLB . the SLB is the one i worry most about . Going against the TE and OT is going to require a physical player , strong at the point of attack.

Completely agree with this, Top Hawg! Luckily, the Hogs play a ton of sub and don't need a "Sam" LB that much.

tophawg19

As far as replacing philon and flowers , i see Bijon  Jackson and Lowen as strong replacements . I really think Lowen is going to shock the SEC next season. He is quicker even than flowers was. He needs the extra work at the position , but i think he blows up the SEC next year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SECisKing

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 05, 2015, 01:43:58 pm
As far as replacing philon and flowers , i see Bijon  Jackson and Lowen as strong replacements . I really think Lowen is going to shock the SEC next season. He is quicker even than flowers was. He needs the extra work at the position , but i think he blows up the SEC next year

Yeah I tackled that topic on the "Ball Hawg" podcast with me and @SEC_Chad. I want people to listen when it comes out so I'm just going to smile and nod. haha

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 12:29:53 pm

I'd have Ellis.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Hoggish1

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 11:44:48 am

Well written too SECisKing!  You are getting to be a must read... WPS!

gmarv

good stuff man you can,t get your articles out fast enough for me.keep it coming.you are doing a great job.

SECisKing

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 05, 2015, 03:21:47 pm
Well written too SECisKing!  You are getting to be a must read... WPS!

HAHA Thanks, Hoggish. Hopefully that translates over to the podcast, too...You will get ver similar content..

SECisKing

Quote from: gmarv on March 05, 2015, 03:23:09 pm
good stuff man you can,t get your articles out fast enough for me.keep it coming.you are doing a great job.

lolol man you're too kind, bro. No doubt, GMarv, I got you. Thanks for your time.

Mike Irwin

Some here don't seem interested in this sort of thing but for those who are Bret Bielema said at the press conference to introduce Jemal Singleton to the media that he was considering moving Ellis to the Will linebacker spot. He also said Ellis had shed some pounds in the off-season program.

He did not address the Mike spot but logic dictates that Baldwin probably used some inside information as a basis for his article on the defense. Looks like to me we're going to see Josh Williams at the Mike position and Ellis at Will.

It makes sense. Both are good players and it would seem a waste to have one playing behind the other at Mike linebacker.

ricepig

I think they'll put the best 3 or 2, depending on the defensive we are playing, just like this past year.

SECisKing

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2015, 04:54:36 pm
Some here don't seem interested in this sort of thing but for those who are Bret Bielema said at the press conference to introduce Jemal Singleton to the media that he was considering moving Ellis to the Will linebacker spot. He also said Ellis had shed some pounds in the off-season program.

He did not address the Mike spot but logic dictates that Baldwin probably used some inside information as a basis for his article on the defense. Looks like to me we're going to see Josh Williams at the Mike position and Ellis at Will.

It makes sense. Both are good players and it would seem a waste to have one playing behind the other at Mike linebacker.

Mike, what's up man? I'm Murf Baldwin - I'm a frequent guest on your show, usually with Wess & Michael. I was on one time with you talking about the K.J. Hill situation and other topics.

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your work, and it's been that way for a long time. I told you on the show you're someone to look up to for all of us guys in the business.

I was on for two segments on Tuesday, and I wanted to talk to you about your viewpoint of Singleton being hired to get Collins into the NFL. It's spot-on, as usual. Hopefully they bring me on in your hour one of these weeks.

However, I didn't use inside information as I'm not plugged in, it was simply an observation based on skill set. Ellis has a better skill set for a space-consuming LB spot.

Thanks again for your hard work and knowledge, Mike...Game On!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 05:17:03 pm
Mike, what's up man? I'm Murf Baldwin - I'm a frequent guest on your show, usually with Wess & Michael. I was on one time with you talking about the K.J. Hill situation and other topics.

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your work, and it's been that way for a long time. I told you on the show you're someone to look up to for all of us guys in the business.

I was on for two segments on Tuesday, and I wanted to talk to you about your viewpoint of Singleton being hired to get Collins into the NFL. It's spot-on, as usual. Hopefully they bring me on in your hour one of these weeks.

However, I didn't use inside information as I'm not plugged in, it was simply an observation based on skill set. Ellis has a better skill set for a space-consuming LB spot.

Thanks again for your hard work and knowledge, Mike...Game On!
Well then it was an excellent x's and o's evaluation because from Bielema's own mouth it looks like what you wrote about is about to happen.

Good job.

SECisKing

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2015, 05:24:41 pm
Well then it was an excellent x's and o's evaluation because from Bielema's own mouth it looks like what you wrote about is about to happen.

Good job.

Thanks, Mike!!!

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: lrar4hogs on March 05, 2015, 12:53:50 pm
I thought of the same thing. I remember that Swoopes rolled out left thinking he would just avoid Ellis but he ended up throwing the ball away because he got there a lot quicker than he anticipated. Ellis moved to W we might end up seeing a "Spaight" type year statistically. Just as you stated in your article Murf!

For those that didn't see the play, check out this video at the 15:21 mark.

(If you click this link it will take you to the exact time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_jhl4rMFGM&t=921)

onebadrubi

Ellis was often able to run down plays from behind.  I don't believe he's a slow linebacker, or even close. 

Cave City Joe

Great read Murf.  Always enjoy your stuff.  Come to Hogville often.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Josh Goforth

Ellis playing on the weakside will free him up to make some plays in the backfield. I am concerned with him in coverage though. He is a good space/zone player but it's easy to forget that teams isolated him one one a lot his freshman year. He is faster than spaight but his cover skills are a weak point and teams will try to exploit it next year.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SECisKing on March 05, 2015, 12:05:58 pm
This is spot on with my assessment of Ellis, this has been a  big problem for us, he has been unable to disengage from blockers and sift through the trash as most of his tackles have come in the over 7 yard range. His strength has been pass coverage, maybe this outside spot will help him become better.

hawgsalot

We've got some solid young and very talented young lbs.  Randy Ramsey being one that is going to play a lot somewhere.  Stud Stud!  I think the young guys development will dictate where Ellis plays, we really like to cross train positions.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: hawgsalot on March 08, 2015, 12:37:21 pm
We've got some solid young and very talented young lbs.  Randy Ramsey being one that is going to play a lot somewhere.  Stud Stud!  I think the young guys development will dictate where Ellis plays, we really like to cross train positions.
One of the young LBs that always stuck out to me last year was Hackett. He was on kick off coverage for almost every game and he always seemed to get involved with the tackle in some way. I hope he can get the nuances of the LB position this off season.