Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Talk Shows

Started by Snoutbreather, March 04, 2015, 05:04:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoutbreather

Maybe it's just me.  I tune in to various afternoon sports talk shows while in the car, four to five times a week and almost without fail am subjected to caller Gentle Ben droning on, and on, and on. One of these stations needs to give Ben his own show, or at the very least pay him for carrying the lazy hosts that daily defer so much air time to him on their respective stations.

supersaint

Are you 'Larry from Pea Ridge'?
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

RAD

The last thing they need to do is to give Ben his own show.

Dr. Starcs

Bring back Dale from Prairie Grove!

HSVhogfan2

The problem is none of the shows ever cut off the dumbass callers, probably because most of the hosts are in the same boat as those callers. I never listen to Local sports talk, only syndicated shows.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Swinehart

Give him his own show?????

He's already got his own Double Bee's commercial.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Swinehart on March 04, 2015, 08:52:39 pm
Give him his own show?????

He's already got his own Double Bee's commercial.

Double B's? That's really small......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 04, 2015, 06:18:59 pm
Bring back Dale from Prairie Grove!
Dale was an act from a guy I knew.  It was a complete act, he grew tired of it and decided to stop.  Dave Chappelle Jr..

jusgtohogs

Where's Hammerin' Hank when you need him?

Mark_Freeman

Gentle Ben calls every show in the state, I'm pretty sure. I filled in for a guy for two days doing a show out of LR (not a HUGE or necessarily popular show) and he called 4-5 times per show (it was while DTS and Bo were on, and I'm sure he called them too. He must have a lot of time on his hands.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 05, 2015, 09:24:57 am
Dale was an act from a guy I knew.  It was a complete act, he grew tired of it and decided to stop.  Dave Chappelle Jr..

Is his name Dale? And is he in fact from prairie grove?

rabidhog

I for one can't stand it when Ben calls in. I take my ear phones
out

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: rabidhog on March 05, 2015, 12:51:53 pm
I for one can't stand it when Ben calls in. I stab my ears
out

Fify

Hawgey-Davidson

I'm weady to woll wight now Bo!

choppedporkextrasauce

Man what a bunch of hate people. 

presidenthog

Quote from: jusgtohogs on March 05, 2015, 09:38:13 am
Where's Hammerin' Hank when you need him?
Wasn't this the wretched caller that you couldn't understand a word he would say? Almost like he had a learning disability? Talking about laying on the floor under his bed on Bo's show. Bo just loved it and laughed and laughed and I for one thought it was the worst radio I had ever heard. Worse than the show with no game

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bennyl08

I'm not gentle ben, but I'd do a radio show for some extra cash.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

Hank is an actual person with a disability.

Mike Irwin

He lives in a small NWA community and is well liked around town.

HoggieStyle

I will not settle for anything less than Gentle Ben vs. Jimmy Lee in the octagon!!

I got $20 on Jimmy Lee.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Snoutbreather on March 04, 2015, 05:04:12 pm
Maybe it's just me.  I tune in to various afternoon sports talk shows while in the car, four to five times a week and almost without fail am subjected to caller Gentle Ben droning on, and on, and on. One of these stations needs to give Ben his own show, or at the very least pay him for carrying the lazy hosts that daily defer so much air time to him on their respective stations.
The more irritating aspect of those shows more times than not is the host or anchors.  Bo rambles on and on about this and that in trying to lead the call ins to a certain subject matter. I don't know if that's so bad, but boring at times. I do wish that call-ins would be limited to short time frames and no allowed to continued on and on.
   I do think a clean short conversation is sometimes fun to listen to. But the arguing about different issues sometimes comes off as just another Pzzing contest. Those shows are fun during stretch runs of all the major UofA sports and add to anticipated finishes. Also during recruiting are very helpful when presenting actual news about certain prospects.
go hogs go !

DeltaBoy

I like GAME ON and the Morning Rush show.  Then I close out the day with Bo till the bell rings at 3:45pm.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

i love the mike irwin hour on game on
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

I really Miss the HOGVILLE CAFE with JAY JONES!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hawg66

A Gentle Ben interview

Announcer:  I'm here with Gentle Ben, one of the most well know callers to talk radio in the state of Arkansas.  We're here to find out what drives him, what he does when he's not on the radio, and how he thinks the Hogs will do next year on the gridiron.  Welcome, Ben.

Ben:  Well, thank you for having me, glad to be here.  I do spend alot of time, you know a bunch, I mean more than most, alot, on the radio or whatever.  But radio is...you know my dad had a radio when I was growing up, an RCA... or maybe it was a Motorola.  It was black...not really black more a dark brown I guess.  But most folks thought it was black.  Anyways, the radio had one of the nobs missing, and that nob, it was the tuner nob.  The volume nob was fine, it worked good.  But the tuner nob was twisted off.  My sister twisted it off when she was seven.  That's a story right there.  My sister is a big Razorback fan too.  She's younger than me, but most people think I'm younger than her.  My uncle used to say..

Announcer:  Sorry to interrupt Ben, we've got to do a commercial.   We'll be back after these messages.

(Seven minutes of public service announcements, car dealer specials, debt consolidation pitches and of course a Gentle Ben Doublebee's spot.)

Announcer:  We're back with Gentle Ben, and the phones are lighting up,  First, from the Keathly fan feedback, George in Hot Springs wants to know what your sister looks like.

Ben:  Well, my sister is , she's cute.  Not that I look at my sister like that, but you can.  As long as you're just looking, haha.  But she's cute, I guess, in a sister kinda way.  She lives in Russellville.  The last time I was in Russellville it was raining cats and dogs.  My favorite dog I had growing up was a beagle named George...that's kinda funny huh?  Is that George the Beagle asking about my sister?

Announcer:  Okay Ben, Larry in Poinsett County wants to know how much you get paid for the Appleby's thing.  BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  Larry, I think it's Doublebee's.

Ben:  Appleby's is nice.  Usually there's no waiting.  I hate waiting.  One time i waited 45 minutes for you to take my call.  but it gave me time, you know an opportunity, a chance, the ability, to compose my thoughts, to get clear headed, to become more direct, more pointed, more specific, more defined...

Announcer:  Oops, time for some more commercials, We'll be right back.

Hogfan1660

hawg66

The sad thing is, I've listened enough to impersonate him.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hawg66 on March 06, 2015, 12:01:45 pm
A Gentle Ben interview

Announcer:  I'm here with Gentle Ben, one of the most well know callers to talk radio in the state of Arkansas.  We're here to find out what drives him, what he does when he's not on the radio, and how he thinks the Hogs will do next year on the gridiron.  Welcome, Ben.

Ben:  Well, thank you for having me, glad to be here.  I do spend alot of time, you know a bunch, I mean more than most, alot, on the radio or whatever.  But radio is...you know my dad had a radio when I was growing up, an RCA... or maybe it was a Motorola.  It was black...not really black more a dark brown I guess.  But most folks thought it was black.  Anyways, the radio had one of the nobs missing, and that nob, it was the tuner nob.  The volume nob was fine, it worked good.  But the tuner nob was twisted off.  My sister twisted it off when she was seven.  That's a story right there.  My sister is a big Razorback fan too.  She's younger than me, but most people think I'm younger than her.  My uncle used to say..

Announcer:  Sorry to interrupt Ben, we've got to do a commercial.   We'll be back after these messages.

(Seven minutes of public service announcements, car dealer specials, debt consolidation pitches and of course a Gentle Ben Doublebee's spot.)

Announcer:  We're back with Gentle Ben, and the phones are lighting up,  First, from the Keathly fan feedback, George in Hot Springs wants to know what your sister looks like.

Ben:  Well, my sister is , she's cute.  Not that I look at my sister like that, but you can.  As long as you're just looking, haha.  But she's cute, I guess, in a sister kinda way.  She lives in Russellville.  The last time I was in Russellville it was raining cats and dogs.  My favorite dog I had growing up was a beagle named George...that's kinda funny huh?  Is that George the Beagle asking about my sister?

Announcer:  Okay Ben, Larry in Poinsett County wants to know how much you get paid for the Appleby's thing.  BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  Larry, I think it's Doublebee's.

Ben:  Appleby's is nice.  Usually there's no waiting.  I hate waiting.  One time i waited 45 minutes for you to take my call.  but it gave me time, you know an opportunity, a chance, the ability, to compose my thoughts, to get clear headed, to become more direct, more pointed, more specific, more defined...

Announcer:  Oops, time for some more commercials, We'll be right back.

STONE COLD SPOT ON!

hawgXi

Quote from: hawg66 on March 06, 2015, 02:02:55 pm
The sad thing is, I've listened enough to impersonate him.

yup you nailed it!

next time work up a piece on the day gentle ben's son "HEMI" got sprayed by a skunk while he was at work.

you shoulda seen that!

that was one he won't forget.

twistitup

Bella Vista Larry....oldie but goodie
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hog N Bama

Game On at 11am is a must, especially when Mike Irwin comes on at noon! ;D