Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Arkansas and the SEC Vs. P-5 Competition

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 01, 2015, 11:30:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Check out the P-5 SOS on this, not just the overall SOS as you find listed most places. You have one double digit win team near the top of the P-5 SOS for the SEC, the rest represent 3 of the bottom 4 in the conference. Yes it takes talent, coaching and breaks going your way to win in the double digits, but it also helps when your SOS is among the weakest in the conference as well.

The win and loss point averages are derived only from P-5 games.

Overall  Vs. P-5  Team   Opp W's  Opp L's   P-5 SOS   Avg Win Pts    Avg Loss Pts
  8-5       5-5     LSU       95           45       0.679        10.8               13.2
  8-5       4-5     TAM       79           40       0.664        13.0               20.8
12-2       9-2     ALA       96           49       0.662        18.1                6.5
  7-6       4-6     ARK       86           45       0.656        24.0                9.8
  7-5       4-5     FLA       76           42       0.644        12.3               12.2
  9-4       5-4     MIS       75           42       0.641        20.8               19.0
  8-5       5-5     AUB       91           51       0.641        10.8               11.8
  3-9       0-8     VAN       66           37       0.641         0.0               22.6
  5-7       2-7     KTY       72           44       0.621         8.5               19.7
  7-6       4-6     TEN       80           49       0.620        15.3               13.5
10-3       7-3     MSU      71           46       0.607        17.6               11.3
10-3       8-3     GEO       85           57       0.599        19.5                9.0
  7-6       4-6     USC       75           53       0.586         5.8               10.0
11-3       8-3     MIZ       78           62       0.557        10.8               22.3

Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Interesting that our avg. win pts. are the highest in the conference and our avg. loss pts. are the third lowest pts. behind Ala. and Georgia.
We're getting closer...with the 4th toughest SEC SOS.

" GO HOGS "

Bacon_Bitz

So: 1. SEC East teams fared worse against other P5 teams as a collective and drove that entire division down to the bottom half of these rankings; and 2. MSU played an incredibly weak out-of-conference schedule in a year when they made a run.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on March 01, 2015, 05:53:15 pm
So: 1. SEC East teams fared worse against other P5 teams as a collective and drove that entire division down to the bottom half of these rankings; and 2. MSU played an incredibly weak out-of-conference schedule in a year when they made a run.

6 of the bottom 7 in terms of P-5 SOS are SEC East teams, and 3 of the bottom 4 were double digit winners. I know this has been casually mentioned before ;)  but Missouri should not have beaten us and while I understand that they won 11 games and went to the SECCG for the second year in a row, they had a pretty easy road to get there, comparatively speaking. Sometimes I wish we didn't have as difficult a schedule as we most often have playing in the West.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on March 01, 2015, 01:13:36 pm
Interesting that our avg. win pts. are the highest in the conference and our avg. loss pts. are the third lowest pts. behind Ala. and Georgia.
We're getting closer...with the 4th toughest SEC SOS.

" GO HOGS "

Note that Florida is the only SEC East team in the top half.
Go Hogs Go!

Smokehouse

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 02, 2015, 08:32:01 am
Note that Florida is the only SEC East team in the top half.

FL got the short end of the stick in terms of SEC East scheduling with the permanent matchup against LSU and then Alabama rotating on.

I'm surprised Tennessee wasn't a little higher with Alabama and @ OU on the schedule. Sooners had a bad season but it was still a road game against a respectable opponent. Shows you how much the rest of the East is dragging everyone down.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Smokehouse on March 02, 2015, 08:47:29 am
FL got the short end of the stick in terms of SEC East scheduling with the permanent matchup against LSU and then Alabama rotating on.

I'm surprised Tennessee wasn't a little higher with Alabama and @ OU on the schedule. Sooners had a bad season but it was still a road game against a respectable opponent. Shows you how much the rest of the East is dragging everyone down.

Just check out Missouri. Not saying that they aren't a good team but their schedule might have added at least a couple of more regular season wins to our schedule, maybe. When they won, it was on average a narrow margin. When they lost, it was a little wider margin. Almost the opposite of us.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

The West was so brutal this year that every Western division team except us looked gassed in their bowl game.  I think the sheer brutality of the week in/week out SEC West left most of our teams a pale shadow of their early season selves by the end of the year.  Hopefully a few schools slip back while we advance.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 01, 2015, 06:29:07 pm
6 of the bottom 7 in terms of P-5 SOS are SEC East teams, and 3 of the bottom 4 were double digit winners. I know this has been casually mentioned before ;)  but Missouri should not have beaten us and while I understand that they won 11 games and went to the SECCG for the second year in a row, they had a pretty easy road to get there, comparatively speaking. Sometimes I wish we didn't have as difficult a schedule as we most often have playing in the West.
I'm looking forward to Mizzou in Fayetteville (and the odds are we have a healthy BA).

I understand the bolded sentiment, although my perspective is that we are in the SECW and after we are increasingly successful on the field, (and we are improving), there cannot be any legitimate conversation about weak scheduling by The Hogs.
It is what it is in the SECW and we play the cards that are dealt, which is always a tough hand in the SECW, per Florida as the only upper half SECE team.
Line 'em up.
You're in depth posts are appreciated.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on March 02, 2015, 01:25:05 pm
I'm looking forward to Mizzou in Fayetteville (and the odds are we have a healthy BA).

I understand the bolded sentiment, although my perspective is that we are in the SECW and after we are increasingly successful on the field, (and we are improving), there cannot be any legitimate conversation about weak scheduling by The Hogs.
It is what it is in the SECW and we play the cards that are dealt, which is always a tough hand in the SECW, per Florida as the only upper half SECE team.
Line 'em up.
You're in depth posts are appreciated.

" GO HOGS "

If we got a break in scheduling and had a SOS that ranked in the bottom half of the SEC and we managed to get to the SECCG and win 10-12 games in doing so, would any of us say that we didn't deserve it simply because we drew a weaker schedule than other SEC teams? I doubt it would be much of a topic of discussion and even it were, none of us would care.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 03, 2015, 07:58:50 am
If we got a break in scheduling and had a SOS that ranked in the bottom half of the SEC and we managed to get to the SECCG and win 10-12 games in doing so, would any of us say that we didn't deserve it simply because we drew a weaker schedule than other SEC teams? I doubt it would be much of a topic of discussion and even it were, none of us would care.
You're correct. We would deserve whatever schedule that the SECW dictates. I enjoy the week in/week out schedule we are currently drawing. My point is that I understand the wanting to get to Atlanta and a weaker schedule would increase our probability. I wouldn't have a problem with a weaker schedule and on the other side of that I don't have a preference for a weaker schedule. I enjoy the challenge of playing in the SECW. We'll see if CBB can get it done at the highest level.

" GO HOGS "