Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Force Coach Tells Bielema, "I Got the Guy For You"

Started by Mike Irwin, February 26, 2015, 09:52:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

At one time Bret Bielema had a list of 23 candidates for the vacant running backs coach position at Arkansas. Some advice from Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun helped narrow the process.

"I'd asked him about a coach that had previously worked for him," Bielema revealed, "and he looked at me and said, 'You need a running backs coach?' I said 'Yeah, I do. Actually I'm losing my guy to the Saints,' and he goes, 'I got the guy for you.'"

"The guy" was Oklahoma State running backs coach Jemal Singleton who played at Air Force under Fisher DeBerry and had previously coached for Calhoun there. One of the things that caught Bielema's eye right away was Singleton's reputation for coaching ball security. In 2014 his OSU backs did not suffer a single turnover.
--------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/air-force-coach-tells-bielema-i-got-the-guy-for-yo/29505/YTeme3hr8UChqL8_WWTfcA

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Dwight_K_Shrute

Tells you Calhoun had no hard feelings of JS and thought very highly of him.  Speaks volumes.  Also shows that BB is well respected by fellow coaches, or at least some of them. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ZERO

Pretty stand-up of Calhoun to help out like that. He looks out for the people who have helped him.

He actually just wrapped up his most successful season at Air Force in the eight years he's been there. He went 10-3 and won his Bowl. Air Force probably should have ended the season ranked, but they didn't.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: ZERO on February 26, 2015, 11:27:36 pm
He actually just wrapped up his most successful season at Air Force in the eight years he's been there. He went 10-3 and won his Bowl. Air Force probably should have ended the season ranked, but they didn't.

I do remember them beating Boise State by a good margin, who won the Mountain West and Fiesta Bowl.

ZERO

Yeah, Boise State was a surprisingly good team. Everyone thought they would implode after losing Petersen. Air Force also beat Colorado State, who was ranked at the time and finished with 11 or 12 wins.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ZERO on February 27, 2015, 01:36:15 am
Yeah, Boise State was a surprisingly good team. Everyone thought they would implode after losing Petersen. Air Force also beat Colorado State, who was ranked at the time and finished with 11 or 12 wins.

They've actually had a good run ever since Kenny laid the foundation....

smb

Good stuff Mike thanks for pointing that out. I think we got a good coach.
GeorgiaHOG

Hawgzinbowlz

I'm thinking Coach Calhoun was correct when he said "I got the guy for you".

A lot of stand up guys in the coaching fraternity, and they understand it's a business of human improvement (vertical coaching changes). CBB is one of these guys and it reads like CTC is also a part of this group.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NVRyield

ZERO

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 27, 2015, 04:16:12 am

They went 2-10 the year before, and 6-7 the year before that. To go from 2-10 to 10-3 is pretty impressive.

kodiakisland

For those who are not familiar with DeBerry, anyone who played for him learned the right way to do things.  Doesn't mean they take those lessons to heart, but DeBerry is one of the classiest guys I've ever met.  Had some close mutual friends while living on the Academy and was really impressed with him.  Coach Singleton was coached by one of the best, and it speaks volumes to me that he chose to work for Bielema.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pig Worshipper

Great article. Thank you for posting it.
It continues to confirm what a great head coach we have when he gets excellent assistants who want to be a part of winning our first SEC championship. As I've written before, no one has a crystal ball to be able to see how successful Coach Bielema will be here, but I really like the guy. There have been many great coaches and great people at the U of A (and a few not so great!) but Coach B is my all-time favorite. Is he perfect? Heck, no, but he's doing things the right way and it makes me proud to be a Razorback fan.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 28, 2015, 01:15:25 am
For those who are not familiar with DeBerry, anyone who played for him learned the right way to do things.  Doesn't mean they take those lessons to heart, but DeBerry is one of the classiest guys I've ever met.  Had some close mutual friends while living on the Academy and was really impressed with him.  Coach Singleton was coached by one of the best, and it speaks volumes to me that he chose to work for Bielema.

Yes DeBerry won a ton of games at Air Force.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 27, 2015, 04:16:12 am

Actually they weren't bad historically going back to their first coach. Ken's last two teams there were good. Prior to that Ken's teams there weren't so good. He overall had a losing record there but he did improve a LOT his last two. The funny part is guess what later Super Bowl winning head coach Ken replaced as head coach there.......none other than Bill Parcells who was there for one year before going to the pro's as an assistant and eventually working his way up to becoming a head coach in the pro's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bolo on March 05, 2015, 10:11:53 am
what happened to game on
No longer on the air in NWA. At some point I'm sure it will be back on another local station. Right now they are dealing with some other issues.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 05, 2015, 05:06:30 pm
No longer on the air in NWA. At some point I'm sure it will be back on another local station. Right now they are dealing with some other issues.

I just Glad I can get 93.3 The Jock on line.

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends