Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Film Study: Arkansas TE Hunter Henry is the SEC’s biggest matchup nightmare

Started by SECisKing, February 26, 2015, 10:19:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SECisKing

Hogville, what's going on, my people!? Feels good to be back; I have a Hunter Henry piece out on Saturday Down South for our "receiver" series. You know I had to trumpet, possibly, the best receiver in the SEC despite the fact he's a tight end.

Hopefully you guys will read it, if not -- it's all love over here.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-te-hunter-henry-secs-biggest-matchup-nightmare/

Additionally, in my quest to move my career from covering Alabama to them 'Hawgs -- I've landed a podcast with SEC_Chad to be announced a forthcoming platform you guys will love called "Ball Hawg."

So you can hear Chad and I chop it up about Razorback football in the very near future. I'll provide details as soon as it's launched. And like always, thanks again!!
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

younghog

GO HOGS

SECisKing

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 10:19:36 am
Hogville, what's going on, my people!? Feels good to be back; I have a Hunter Henry piece out on Saturday Down South for our "receiver" series. You know I had to trumpet, possibly, the best receiver in the SEC despite the fact he's a tight end.

Hopefully you guys will read it, if not -- it's all love over here.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-te-hunter-henry-secs-biggest-matchup-nightmare/

Additionally, in my quest to move my career from covering Alabama to them 'Hawgs -- I've landed a podcast with SEC_Chad to be announced a forthcoming platform you guys will love called "Ball Hawg."

So you can hear Chad and I chop it up about Razorback football in the very near future. I'll provide details as soon as it's launched. And like always, thanks again!!
Great work and truly appreciate all you're doing. Look forward to seeing more of your efforts. WPS!! :razorback:

SECisKing

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 26, 2015, 10:51:35 am
Great work and truly appreciate all you're doing. Look forward to seeing more of your efforts. WPS!! :razorback:
V8, thanks for the compliment. Glad to be appreciated, too. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read what I write. Hopefully you'll check out my venture into sports talk, too.

Thanks again

SECisKing

PorkRinds

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 10:55:10 am
V8, thanks for the compliment. Glad to be appreciated, too. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read what I write. Hopefully you'll check out my venture into sports talk, too.

Thanks again

Make sure you post links here, or I'll forget.  I'd love to listen to some guys other than Arkansas media talk about the hogs objectively.

SECisKing

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 10:58:25 am
Make sure you post links here, or I'll forget.  I'd love to listen to some guys other than Arkansas media talk about the hogs objectively.

Then you will like our show because I'm uber-objective and only call it like I see it. Plus I'll get a lot into the meat and bones of the scheme and stuff. Can't wait for it to start...I'll definitely try to alert Hogville, if I'm allowed to?!

Birminghog

Nice article on HH, King. Much luck to you, & it's all love over here, too. Welcome.

Please make sure introduction material is brief and to the point. Once you are into the heart of the article, it's pretty meaty, but the intro material is a bit obtuse. Please make sure everything that needs to match (subject/verb, noun/pronoun, number, etc.) does. I want you to be taken seriously as a good writer, not just as a sportswriter. If you were simply a poster, I wouldn't mention it, but I like your stuff and I want to look forward to your ascension as a pro.

Everybody makes mistakes. When I don't have an editor, it helps me to read the material aloud.  I catch many more mistakes that way, even though a few still get through, much to my consternation.

Go get 'em!

SECisKing

snoblind

SECisKing

rhog1

Another great read from you. Easily the best writer on SDS, but then I may be a little biased to the subject material.  :razorback:

WooPig90

SECisKing

Quote from: rhog1 on February 26, 2015, 11:41:12 am
Another great read from you. Easily the best writer on SDS, but then I may be a little biased to the subject material.  :razorback:

HAHA!! Everyone contributes to all teams on SDS. I think Arkansas might actually be the team I've written about the least...But I appreciate the compliment, RH1!!! Thanks for your time in reading it.

SECisKing

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 26, 2015, 11:45:33 am
Great read! Keep up the good work!  :razorback:

I got you, WooPig! I will certainly do that! Thanks my man.

gawntrail

Really tight observations.  Love you pointing out HH's 'snatch' ability.  He definitely plays with strong hands.  Combined with strong catching instincts and fundamentals, he is special considering all the big framed body catchers playing the Y these days.

Your film break and easy readability opens up some nuts and bolts to the more casual fan without them knowing its an actual lesson from an insider instead of simple color that is the normal fodder.

I enjoy your stuff.  Look forward to hearing it too. 

If I could suggest something... I think this is in your wheelhouse too....  Pick a play that 3 teams do well, break film on each example as you do, and point out how each achieves success, yet does it different from each other. 

Say, inside zone from 11 or 12 personnel under center.  Arky, Bama, and Georgia. 

Read option from 11 or 10 personnel from the spread.  Miss State, ATM, Auburn.

Or how different teams have adapted a traditional route package/concept to their flavor.  Waggle, Wheel, Smash, etc.

That would give you endless content that your style and ability could make, and keep, fresh. 

Again, like your stuff.  Look forward to more.

SECisKing

GT, thanks for the read and compliment, my man. Hopefully you're right about the readability and lessons for all involved. And yes, Henry is no joke with his ability to pluck. Dude is the truth in all aspects, if you ask me.

And I definitely hear you on that play article, too. However, I'm not really new and have a vast catalogue of articles from not only SDS, but from my time on SB Nation and even Bleacher Report...Hopefully some of you will go back and check some out...

Thanks again, bro.

Peter Porker

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 10:58:25 am

SEC Chad is an Arkansas media member. He's the one that guaranteed a 5 star was visiting that never did.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

wholehog92

Quoteof the scheme as it's, at its core, a "12" and "22 personnel-based"
would read better if it's were written out it is.  Great article about one of my favorite hogs.  Thanks for writing it.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 26, 2015, 12:29:28 pm
SEC Chad is an Arkansas media member. He's the one that guaranteed a 5 star was visiting that never did.

Ah. I see, maybe Murf will keep him in check a bit.  ;)

SECisKing

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 26, 2015, 12:29:28 pm

lol, Chad is my boy. Hope you don't have an ill will towards the guy, PP. You're my dude too, so hopefully you listen.

SECisKing

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 26, 2015, 12:34:17 pm
would read better if it's were written out it is.  Great article about one of my favorite hogs.  Thanks for writing it.

Sure would, thanks for the read. And yeah, HH is a flat-out beast!

Peter Porker

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 12:39:19 pm
lol, Chad is my boy. Hope you don't have an ill will towards the guy, PP. You're my dude too, so hopefully you listen.

Oh for sure, Murf.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

razorbacksnum1

Lots of talk about Collins, Williams and others but Henry true superstar material. Not only is he amazing on the field but high character. Consider this in two years he has been All SEC not many kids can say that...made it as true freshman. Enos needs to get him the ball more than Cheney did. Go hogs!

younghog

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 10:51:19 am
YH, I appreciate that and echo your sentiment. GO HOGS!

Your work is very detailed.

Keep em coming..

I'm looking soon for you to do an Enos TE sets vs Wisc Sets vs Arkansas to tell us what the FUTURE might hold .. lol ;)

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

gmarv

good stuff, you keep writing about anything hogs and I,ll keep reading.

pondwater jack

there is a lot of good vibes in this thread.  That's why I'm here.  Can somebody throw an atta-boy my way?

J. Holly Blasingame, II

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

COCHISE

Great article. Gonna respectfully disagree on a prediction you made in the comments though. While Cantrell could certainly play on defense (just set the OK state record for sacks in a season I believe), I don't see Bielema letting that happen. The kid is going to be a freak on offense.

PorkRinds

Quote from: pondwater jack on February 26, 2015, 02:23:00 pm
there is a lot of good vibes in this thread.  That's why I'm here.  Can somebody throw an atta-boy my way?

J. Holly Blasingame, II

Atta boy Jack.

Hogeration

Well thought out and written article.  Just watching the highlighted blocking scheme in the first gif makes me more amazed that we had so much progress from year one to year two. 

pondwater jack

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 02:39:38 pm
Atta boy Jack.
THanks Pork Rinds.  I have really enjoyed your comments in this thread. 

Atta-boy!

J. Holly Blasingame,II
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

SECisKing

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on February 26, 2015, 01:31:27 pm
Lots of talk about Collins, Williams and others but Henry true superstar material. Not only is he amazing on the field but high character. Consider this in two years he has been All SEC not many kids can say that...made it as true freshman. Enos needs to get him the ball more than Cheney did. Go hogs!

I agree on all fronts with what you're dishing, bro. Although I think J-Will needs some more publicity as he's about as complete as I've seen. I will certainly get an article out about him soon!

SECisKing

Quote from: younghog on February 26, 2015, 01:49:50 pm
Your work is very detailed.

Keep em coming..

I'm looking soon for you to do an Enos TE sets vs Wisc Sets vs Arkansas to tell us what the FUTURE might hold .. lol ;)

GO HOGS

YH, it's all love, bro. I like that article Idea. I've already begun work on a Wisconsin run game article, but it will come out a lot later as SDS wants me to follow a certain format for the next few weeks.

'preciate ya. Make sure to check out the podcast w/ SEC Chad and I, too.

SECisKing

Quote from: gmarv on February 26, 2015, 02:15:26 pm
good stuff, you keep writing about anything hogs and I,ll keep reading.

I'll certainly keep writing, so keep on reading! And thanks for the read on this one.

SECisKing

Quote from: Hogeration on February 26, 2015, 02:41:15 pm
Well thought out and written article.  Just watching the highlighted blocking scheme in the first gif makes me more amazed that we had so much progress from year one to year two.

Yeah I wanted to get deeper in his blocking prowess as he had some impressive blocks, but I'm trying to do shorter articles, as if 1,300 words is short, than I normally do. But he's very physical and crafty with the angle blocks.

SECisKing

Quote from: COCHISE on February 26, 2015, 02:31:07 pm
Great article. Gonna respectfully disagree on a prediction you made in the comments though. While Cantrell could certainly play on defense (just set the OK state record for sacks in a season I believe), I don't see Bielema letting that happen. The kid is going to be a freak on offense.

Ha! Yeah I hear you on that. Hopefully he stays on offense. But regardless, I think Gragg's blocking ability gives him a leg up, like I said in the article. What do you think about that?

And thanks for the props on the article.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SECisKing

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 26, 2015, 03:41:48 pm
Good Read we are becoming the TE U of the SEC.

Anywhere Bielema goes will be close to being TE U because of the scheme. Now he gets the benefit of being at Arkansas, too. Should be in the running for RB U all the time, as well.

Thanks, Delta Boy.

Hoggish1

SECisKing, this is great stuff. 

These tight ends will do serious damage to SEC Ds with their speed and power. Who says you need tall skinny guys to catch the ball on the outside, but who don't like knocking the darn out of linebackers and safeties for our running game.

This O has a serious advantage with that kind of production from big bodies over the spread teams.

SECisKing

Quote from: zsanfusa on February 26, 2015, 03:49:40 pm
WPS. Nice article.  Now imagine Henry's stats when paired with some speedy wide outs to stretch the field for him.   :razorback:

I'm indifferent to that because Bielema hasn't really shown a propensity for going vertical enough for that to even matter...Think about it: Henry is split out a ton himself...He just needs more targets, imo.

WPS, my man.

SECisKing

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 26, 2015, 03:51:04 pm
SECisKing, this is great stuff. 

These tight ends will do serious damage to SEC Ds with their speed and power. Who says you need tall skinny guys to catch the ball on the outside, but who don't like knocking the darn out of linebackers and safeties for our running game.

This O has a serious advantage with that kind of production from big bodies over the spread teams.

Hoggish, you aren't lying! I love the scheme and it's a joy to watch as I just love physical football that forces the opposition to play in base. makes the defense more physical, too!

SECisKing

Quote from: zsanfusa on February 26, 2015, 03:59:17 pm
Here is my thinking.  Throw the ball deep, get two or three 20+ yd. completions per game.  The safeties have to respect the outside deep throw forcing more Cover defense, opening the middle for the TEs.  Henry is not a burner so I see lining up on a LB as a good thing.

Well yea, that's how most schemes operate -- no doubt. And although he's not a burner, he's such a good route-runner, and attacks the ball so well, that he ends up making explosive plays...But I certainly hear you.

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 04:14:04 pm
Well yea, that's how most schemes operate -- no doubt. And although he's not a burner, he's such a good route-runner, and attacks the ball so well, that he ends up making explosive plays...But I certainly hear you.

I bet you HH had the most explosive plays of any player on team against SEC teams. Hatcher didn't even have a 100 yd game in SEC play. HH seems to make big plays that's what I like about him. Remember 4th qtr at Miss State? HH simply took over on #1 team at the time. This kid is special.

kaki

In listening to Coach B's press conference he indicated that Hunter has gained weight and looks good (believe he said 260 lbs) and Sprinkle was up to 250.  That is a pretty good tandem, even without considering the great class of recruits.  Sprinkle can be a great complement to Hunter with his length and speed. Could be a fun team to watch, especially if a couple other wide-outs step up to help Keon.

SECisKing

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on February 26, 2015, 04:27:57 pm
I bet you HH had the most explosive plays of any player on team against SEC teams. Hatcher didn't even have a 100 yd game in SEC play. HH seems to make big plays that's what I like about him. Remember 4th qtr at Miss State? HH simply took over on #1 team at the time. This kid is special.

This!!! Completely agree...

COCHISE

Quote from: SECisKing on February 26, 2015, 03:38:38 pm
Ha! Yeah I hear you on that. Hopefully he stays on offense. But regardless, I think Gragg's blocking ability gives him a leg up, like I said in the article. What do you think about that?

And thanks for the props on the article.
Agreed on Gragg. In fact, Bielema singled Gragg out today in his press conference as being a player he's been very impressed with thus far.

wholehog92

Don't sleep with Gragg on his pass catching.  He has nice sure hands.  His route running needs work which is just development.  He's plenty athletic and has the tools we need from a TE.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.