Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How about a waaaay too early 2015 2-Deep? Modified to actual depth.

Started by Lake City Hog, December 30, 2014, 10:44:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

IMHO Dean will be the starter at 1 corner, people would not even throw his way the last half of the year. I think Skipper moves to right tackle, Wallace at left, and Ragnow takes Center.

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 08, 2015, 01:40:56 pm
Comparing HS highlight films is an iffy proposition at best.

For one thing, RW played in a league with limited talent, even if it was in the DFW area.  Juan Day played in the highest class in Arkansas.

Secondly, "a more athletic Broderick Green"? Sound like a feature back to me.

I'll say I don't know if Juan Day is going to be great or good or something else, but IMO it's a little absurd to judge such matters before he even gets on the field for his first carry as a CFB player.

I think there is a good bit one can tell from HS tape. Williams looked like a N-S runner with speed but who wasn't afraid of contact, Collins looked like a guy who had a bit of everything, Evans looked like a guy who did nothing bad but nothing great. So far, all of those have been accurate. Granted, I didn't guess how powerful Williams would also become and I overestimated how much of Collin's speed would translate, but overall, the general picture holds true.

As for "feature" back status, I think both Evans and Day can be 1000 yard backs in this system. However, it wouldn't be the type of 1000 yard season that makes opposing DC's lose sleep over the individual player so much as the system itself. To me, a feature back is the type that can out run you or outpower you, like Collins, Williams, Chubb, Gurley, etc... There is also the type of feature back that may not be great at both, but can do one or the other REALLY well like Dmac with his speed or Lattimore with his power. Then you guys like what LSU has generally had such as Hilliard, Blue, Ware, McGee who are all productive, but never get much recognition. They can have an effective offense using nothing but them, but you throw in a feature back like a Ridley or a Hill, and their offense becomes much better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Lake City Hog

It sounds like BB wants to move Ragnow away from center. The kid had never played center before and listening to BB taking away snapping the ball may be good for him.

I think we see Skipper at LT, Tretola at RG, Smothers snapping, Wallace at RG and Kirkland at RT. Ragnow will back-up multiple spots along with Beck and Koehler. I think Rogers redshirts if at all possible. Ragnow and Danenhauer should take the bulk of the snaps in the "jumbo" package.

I really believe that Day will play well enough to allow R Williams to RS if he needs it.

Blutoblutarsky

Don't forget Ledbetter on the Dline.  He's coming in to play right away. Maybe not start, but he'll add to an already deeeep Dline.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 08, 2015, 04:31:31 pm
I think there is a good bit one can tell from HS tape. Williams looked like a N-S runner with speed but who wasn't afraid of contact, Collins looked like a guy who had a bit of everything, Evans looked like a guy who did nothing bad but nothing great. So far, all of those have been accurate. Granted, I didn't guess how powerful Williams would also become and I overestimated how much of Collin's speed would translate, but overall, the general picture holds true.

As for "feature" back status, I think both Evans and Day can be 1000 yard backs in this system. However, it wouldn't be the type of 1000 yard season that makes opposing DC's lose sleep over the individual player so much as the system itself. To me, a feature back is the type that can out run you or outpower you, like Collins, Williams, Chubb, Gurley, etc... There is also the type of feature back that may not be great at both, but can do one or the other REALLY well like Dmac with his speed or Lattimore with his power. Then you guys like what LSU has generally had such as Hilliard, Blue, Ware, McGee who are all productive, but never get much recognition. They can have an effective offense using nothing but them, but you throw in a feature back like a Ridley or a Hill, and their offense becomes much better.

Juan Day's HS tape will be three years old by the time he steps on the field this fall.

So which you think would have more value: watching play on the field as a kid three years older, having worked to build his body in a D1 weight/nutrition system, having worked out with college coaches for two years, or a three year old high school highlight film?

You know, now that I think about that, I think you may be right.  I'm sure what we'll see on the field this fall will be not be different in any significant way from what we saw in a three year old highlight film.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hog Fan from Camden

I asked my ex-brother in law, who works for NLR High and was at one time a coach, why Tenpenny was so hell bent on going to Alabama.  He basically told me, without any prompting, that if he had to chose a back from that NLR team, he would chose Day.  He said that Tenpenny was faster but in his opinion was not very tough (I think he said something to the effect that he was scared of contact), while Day was as tough as nails with pretty good speed.  The time frame was Jan 2013 right before Tenpenny signed with Alabama I think.  I always found that interesting.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on January 09, 2015, 09:51:41 am
I asked my ex-brother in law, who works for NLR High and was at one time a coach, why Tenpenny was so hell bent on going to Alabama.  He basically told me, without any prompting, that if he had to chose a back from that NLR team, he would chose Day.  He said that Tenpenny was faster but in his opinion was not very tough (I think he said something to the effect that he was scared of contact), while Day was as tough as nails with pretty good speed.  The time frame was Jan 2013 right before Tenpenny signed with Alabama I think.  I always found that interesting.

Too bad Day is not a feature back though, huh?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 09, 2015, 09:22:22 am
Juan Day's HS tape will be three years old by the time he steps on the field this fall.

So which you think would have more value: watching play on the field as a kid three years older, having worked to build his body in a D1 weight/nutrition system, having worked out with college coaches for two years, or a three year old high school highlight film?

You know, now that I think about that, I think you may be right.  I'm sure what we'll see on the field this fall will be not be different in any significant way from what we saw in a three year old highlight film.

I would take the most recent live action tape in an absolute heartbeat. Given that I am not with the team, the last action of his I have access to is from HS. If you can point to a youtube video of him in action with the hogs, by all means, I would love to see that.

As for how different he would be now vs 3 years ago, go back and rewatch Jonathan Williams or Collins HS highlights. They cleaned up some of the finer details, but they really aren't that different from HS. The biggest difference is that the players they compete against now are stronger and faster than you see in HS. A zebra doesn't change his stripes all that much. He can become much much better at what he does, but a scat back isn't turning into a power back or vice versa. Day is a 4.7 speed running back. Now, I sure his game speed is probably a lot closer to that number than a 4.3 guy is to his, but yeah, he isn't going to be a speed threat. That's not to say he can't have a 99 yard td run (see brod. green), but he's going to have to break several tackles along the way.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Or, to put it a different way, let's look at the same thing with a quarterback. A franchise quarterback needs to be able to do it all to some degree of efficiency. That's not to say that a weak armed but accurate quarterback can't have success or that a strong armed but sometimes inaccurate qb can't have success, but they are not what one would consider a franchise quarterback. Guys like Jamarcus Russell and Kellen Moore had great college careers.

ldfergu

What are people expecting from K Edwards? Can he be our big WR we can go to for sideline and corner of the end zone plays?

Lake City Hog

I expect Hatcher to get even better next year, Morgan will always be a great possession receiver and Hill/Robinson will be our deep threats. And I really don't even know why I typed that!
This whole board talks about our lack of speed like a kid running a 4.3 vs a 4.5 is going to make such a huge difference in our passing game. Our passing game success will depend far more on our ability to run good crisp routes, catching the ball and learning to create match-ups that favor our receiver.

Do the math on a 50 yard pass(ball in the air 50 yds) and see how much distance a 4.3 WR will gain on a 4.5 DB that is playing 6 to 10 yards off the LOS at the snap. I think that you will find out that he won't even get past the DB on a flat go route. Now figure in that there are a TON of SEC DB's that run closer to a 4.4 and it is even worse.

Lake City Hog

How many of you think this kid might just come in a force his way into the line-up by his RS freshman year?

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/07/wednesday/

HogsBalls

Day is gonna look like a beast this season after go through Herb's off-season program. He was already cut coming out of HS.

Tim Harris

If the rumors are to be believed then we will need to replace Philon as well.  Sucks that we are going to have to replace so much on our defense.

Lake City Hog

OFFENSE
QB--------B Allen--------A Allen---R Peavy---T Storey
RB--------J Williams/A Collins--------J Day---D Evans
FB---------C Walker-------T Colquitt----C Slaughter-----C Gragg
TE--------H Henry------- D Sprinkle/ A Voelzke------J Kraus
LT-------D Skipper-------F Ragnow----J Gibson
LG-------S Tretola--------R Koehler-----M Danenhauer
C---------M SMothers------F Ragnow----Z Rogers
RG-------D Kirkland--------A Beck------A Deacon
RT-------B Wallace--------J Allen??
WR------K Hatcher-------J Cornelius---E Hawkins---C Hollister
WR------J Robinson-------D Morgan/K Edwards--A Antwine

DEFENSE
DE-----J Winston-----M Loewen---J Hall ( Loewen could start!)
NG-----B Jackson-----D Hodge----K Marks
DT-----T Johnson---J Ledbetter----A Watts---J Ward---C Boyd
DE-----D Wise-------T Beanum---B Lewis
SLB----R Ramsey-------( Hackett or Eugene could be backup for both OLB)
MLB---- B Ellis-------J Williams
WLB-----J Williams----D Eugene/K Hackett
CB------J Collins-----C Floyd---M Reynolds
SS------J Liddell------D McKinney
CB------H Toliver----D Dean
FS------S Ramirez----D Coley
NB------D Dean------K Richardson

Adjusted for Philon leaving. Moved a couple of guys around based on current ht/wt listings. I think we may well see T Johnson move over to Philon's spot and IF he can catch on pretty quick, Ledbetter backing him up. Froholdt needs to RS in my opinion, but BB will play the guys that can help us win NOW!

Watts could be the guy that steps up and surprises everyone! He is listed right now as 6'5" 288, by fall he could be pushing 300 lbs easy! If he has maintained his quickness he could become a MONSTER.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 13, 2015, 06:35:05 pm
Adjusted for Philon leaving. Moved a couple of guys around based on current ht/wt listings. I think we may well see T Johnson move over to Philon's spot and IF he can catch on pretty quick, Ledbetter backing him up. Froholdt needs to RS in my opinion, but BB will play the guys that can help us win NOW!

Most places are saying Ledbetter will start out a DE and be given a chance to replace Flowers.

Also I think Froholdt plays.  Being here in the spring is huge and will get him pretty much everything he would have got during a RS year.

bennyl08

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 14, 2015, 08:11:52 am
Most places are saying Ledbetter will start out a DE and be given a chance to replace Flowers.

Also I think Froholdt plays.  Being here in the spring is huge and will get him pretty much everything he would have got during a RS year.

Not sure "starter" designation may mean much with as much depth as we will have. That said, I think Wise Jr will one of those guys who sees the field more often than not. Ledbetter may be the other one, or maybe Winston. Loeven is good and will see plenty of time as will Lewis.

Lake City Hog

Benny, I have thought for a month or so that Loewen might well be the "surprise" guy for next year. Everyone wants to talk about Ledbetter and Froholdt and  a few others, but that kid seems to have found a home.
He may not be the starter but I would bet he will have a lot to say about who is the starter!

hview

I've always thought Chris Jones would eventually be a contributor at fullback. Could he provide depth at LB? 

Lake City Hog

Well, in light of the Beanum arrest how much of an early season shake-up might we see at DE?
Will it even be a factor? I know that Beanum was considered by many to be a lock for the 2-Deep.

jbcarol

It's never too early to project the depth chart.  We will see how recent events affect the current perception.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 22, 2015, 04:43:38 pm
Well, in light of the Beanum arrest how much of an early season shake-up might we see at DE?
Will it even be a factor? I know that Beanum was considered by many to be a lock for the 2-Deep.

CBB said he'd be shocked if he ever had any more problems with Tevin.

IMO that says a lot.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 14, 2015, 08:13:21 pm
Benny, I have thought for a month or so that Loewen might well be the "surprise" guy for next year. Everyone wants to talk about Ledbetter and Froholdt and  a few others, but that kid seems to have found a home.
He may not be the starter but I would bet he will have a lot to say about who is the starter!

Loewen needs a nickname like a Classic Beer.  Get that ball to Lowenbrau!

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

redleg

Offense 2-Deep:
QB - B. Allen, A. Allen
FB - K. Walker, T. Colquitt
TB - J. Williams, A. Collins
WR - K. Hatcher, J. Cornelius
WR - D. Reed, C. Hollister
TE - H. Henry, J. Sprinkle
LT - D. Skipper, B. Wallace
LG - S. Tretola, R Koehler
C - M. Smothers, Z. Rogers
RG - F. Ragnow, J. Allen
RT - D. Kirkland, J. Merrick

Defense 2-Deep:
DE - J. Winston, B. Lewis
DT - B. Jackson, H. Froholdt
NG - T. Johnson, D. Hodge
DE - J. Ledbetter, D. Wise
SLB - B. Ellis, R. Ramsay
MLB - J. Williams, K. Jackson
WLB - D. Eugene, D. Greenlaw
CB - H. Tolliver, DJ Dean
CB - J. Collins, C. Floyd
SS - R. Gaines, J. Liddell
FS - D. Coley, D. McKinney

* - Dominique Reed must qualify academically first.
* - If Ragnow stays at center, Zach Rogers will redshirt, Kirkland will stay at RG, and Brian Wallace will probably start at RT, with Austin Beck backing up Skipper.
* - If Robb Smith elects to use Ledbetter on the inside, Bijhon Jackson will back up Taiwan Johnson at NG, Ledbetter will start at DT, and Wise will start at DE backed up by Tevin Beanum or Anthony Brown.
* - Brooks Ellis and Josh Williams could flip positions, and look for Derrick Graham to make an impact at LB.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.