Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock Game

Started by woodrow hog call, November 22, 2017, 09:34:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcods8

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2017, 12:50:56 pm
With all due respect to the ASU fans here. We want the Hogs to go back to national prominence, that means not playing a yearly game against a lower tier team like ASU. There is nothing to gain for the Hogs by playing ASU. If they win no one will care because it is ASU, if they should somehow lose the chit would hit the fan.

It seems like you're really confused about how football works. We play 3 cupcake games each year Einstein. Why not make ASU one of those games, thereby guaranteeing a sellout? I know that's tough for you to comprehend....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ur on November 23, 2017, 07:03:30 am
I'm all for playing games in RRS but I'm tired of playing these rent a win teams. If we are adding another one of them to the RRS schedule then just play a game in wms. Do better Non P5 teams charge more to come play? Memphis, SMU, Houston, Boise state, ucf, usf, army, navy , air force, san diego state. I understand we need a cupcake to start the season but 3-4 cupcakes don't make us better. Some will say our schedule is hard enough but if we would actually rotate players more, then we would have more depth and be more prepared for the next season.

LR gets one game each year. I can understand the frustration with non P-5 teams, but it has only been since 2015 that a conference opponent played in WMS, so it isn't like it has been 5 or 10 years.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 06:35:45 am
I wonder if there is this debate among Florida, Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU or Georgia fans? Does Florida make certain that they play an off campus game in Miami every year? Do any of those programs insure that they play an in-state off campus game every year? A&M plays us in Dallas every year, but they don't schedule an annual game in San Antonio. Does Georgia play in Macon or Savannah each year? Does LSU schedule a game in Shreveport or Monroe every year?

I'm not against keeping a game in LR each year but Arkansas fans who have to travel across the state to watch a game in Fayetteville aren't really in any different position than fans of most college football programs.

My father is an educated, semiretired lifelong resident of Arkansas.  Travels and day trades Wal-Mart among other hobbies in his spare time....was a big Hog fan at one time....indifferent now.

Has NEVER laid eyes on the University of Arkansas. 

That is the reality the program faces.....can suck up all that corporate money but lose the state and its OVER

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 07:37:42 am

My father is an educated, semiretired lifelong resident of Arkansas.  Travels and day trades Wal-Mart among other hobbies in his spare time....was a big Hog fan at one time....indifferent now.

That is the reality the program faces.....can suck up all that corporate money but lose the state and its OVER

That's the question...what makes us different than many other SEC programs where fans have to travel long distances to games on campus? I'm not sure what your description of your Father has to do with it?
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 05:19:54 pm

No other power five school is in a football backwater like NWA

NWA? Backwater? You mean tyhe place that is home to the world's largest company is backwater. HaHa. That's funny. Not only is it home to Was-mart but also Tyson and LB Hunt. All three are in the top 5 of the highest ranking companies in Arkansas. Two are in the top 100 for the whole country and are the two highest ranking ones in the state.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ironhawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 05:21:16 pm

If ASU got UAs 150 million per year the state would have a better chance of a NC

You are not even really a Razorback fan are you?  If you are, you sure do seem to like to spit venom at Arkansas and specifically northwest Arkansas.  What has northwest Arkansas done to provoke such hatred from you or, for that matter, from anyone on this board?  Northwest Arkansas is a part of ARKANSAS.  The only thing that has changed is incredible population and economic growth.  Isn't that good for the entire state?  I've lived all over the state.  My grandparents and great-grandparents were from northeast Arkansas.  I grew up in North Little Rock and moved to Fayetteville for college.  I fell in love with northwest Arkansas and decided to settle here.  I love the entire state of Arkansas.  I am so tired of the regional animosity in this state.  We need to get past that and unite again.

porkmeister

Don't forget to add UCA to the mix.  Arkansas plays other Southland teams they may as well play UCA too.

ur

I know it looks like I'm jumping back and forth but if we are going to play in wms, just slap some lipstick on there and play a nonconf game. Easiest way is put a perimeter fence around it and move the ticket gates to the fence like the rose bowl. Opens it up for temp concessions and restrooms, or perm if you want to build out. Notice the granddaddy of them all and wms. Rose Bowl has the fence with tent concessions etc.   Both have one entrance per section and the rose bowl, 100k, has twice as many people going through each section entrance. It's just one game per year so don't spend a fortune on it.

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 07:42:38 am
That's the question...what makes us different than many other SEC programs where fans have to travel long distances to games on campus? I'm not sure what your description of your Father has to do with it?

Just poiting out why UAF has an increasingly 3rd tier program with no national exposure

2 counties that THINK the world revolves around them can't support a SEC football program

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2017, 07:47:07 am
You are not even really a Razorback fan are you?  If you are, you sure do seem to like to spit venom at Arkansas and specifically northwest Arkansas.  What has northwest Arkansas done to provoke such hatred from you or, for that matter, from anyone on this board?  Northwest Arkansas is a part of ARKANSAS.  The only thing that has changed is incredible population and economic growth.  Isn't that good for the entire state?  I've lived all over the state.  My grandparents and great-grandparents were from northeast Arkansas.  I grew up in North Little Rock and moved to Fayetteville for college.  I fell in love with northwest Arkansas and decided to settle here.  I love the entire state of Arkansas.  I am so tired of the regional animosity in this state.  We need to get past that and unite again.

Yep. Couldn't agree more. Regional animosity in my opinion is based on jealousy and/or economic differences. Animosity is usually stronger by those with less and are closed minded.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2017, 07:47:07 am

I don't see the University doing much for Arkansas outside NWA.

1highhog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 22, 2017, 09:34:26 am
Here is an idea for the game in Little Rock. Get with the local boys and girls clubs, Kieth Jackson's group, Church groups, and whatever other type of groups there are that deal with teens and pre teens in the LR area.

Set aside several thousand tickets to be given away to these kids, and make some arrangements to pick them up and bus them to the games and back, make it a special day for them, and let them see what it means to be a razorback. Maybe have some speakers lined up, ex Hogs now in the NFL, current players from the area. If we really want to make a difference in kids lives and, get our best athletes wanting to play Razorback Football, we need to help them to see what it means.

We need to get these kids dreaming of being the next Dmac, or Joe Adams, or whoever it might be, but it could help give them a reason to get off the streets and get out on the football field.

I like it.  Good idea.

Ironhawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 07:56:36 am

I will give you credit, you are consistent in your hatred. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 07:37:42 am

Day Trades? That says a lot about his so called education...............................

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 07:55:20 am
Yep. Couldn't agree more. Regional animosity in my opinion is based on jealousy and/or economic differences. Animosity is usually stronger by those with less and are closed minded.

Eudora would probably be pretty nice if it had sucked up all the college funding for the state the past 150 years.

Could actually recruit there too.......and not have Ozark football rivalries brought to you by insurance force fed to the ignorant masses

ricepig

Which could be said for every other university in the state, that they are a revenue generator for their area.

Inhogswetrust

You do realize they do a lot of research and other things all across the state. Especially in agriculture. EVERY school contributes things across the state no matter where their campus is located. The main way is turning out graduates which a lot of stay in the state OR even if they do go out of state a lot of times they come back or send donations back. I have cousins that graduated from SAU and Henderson. Nephews from ATU and ASU. All but one of them stayed in the sate to work. The one that didn't went to work for AT&T in Oklahoma City before retiring and moving back to the Hot springs area. ALL the rest are either in central or south Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:03:57 am

Eudora would probably be pretty nice if it had sucked up all the college funding for the state the past 150 years.

Could actually recruit there too.......and not have Ozark football rivalries brought to you by insurance force fed to the ignorant masses

Really ? All of it? Then I guess all the other colleges have had to close.................No wait they haven't.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:03:57 am

To the victor goes the spoils......

IronHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2017, 08:01:40 am
I will give you credit, you are consistent in your hatred. 

Just call it like I see it.

Arkansas is 49th in many things because UA has failed all but one tiny region

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 08:07:16 am
You do realize they do a lot of research and other things all across the state. Especially in agriculture. EVERY school contributes things across the state no matter where their campus is located. The main way is turning out graduates which a lot of stay in the state OR even if they do go out of state a lot of times they come back or send donations back.

UA grad here is basically nonexistent

People go there they never come back.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:10:35 am

Just call it like I see it.

Arkansas is 49th in many things because UA has failed all but one tiny region

The problem is you don't see it. You are blinded by it. Whatever it is.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:08:47 am
To the victor goes the spoils......

So you admit UA is literally a carpetbagger creation?

Need to get out of SEC

HogBreath

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 22, 2017, 10:29:52 pm
My only quibble is... why should we care how easy it is for Mizzou and it's fans to get to the game?
Yeah, that should be a selling point, heck, we could even play 'em in Shreveport.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ur on November 23, 2017, 07:03:30 am
I'm all for playing games in RRS but I'm tired of playing these rent a win teams. If we are adding another one of them to the RRS schedule then just play a game in wms. Do better Non P5 teams charge more to come play? Memphis, SMU, Houston, Boise state, ucf, usf, army, navy , air force, san diego state. I understand we need a cupcake to start the season but 3-4 cupcakes don't make us better. Some will say our schedule is hard enough but if we would actually rotate players more, then we would have more depth and be more prepared for the next season.

Guess who Bama played this year. None other than Mercer, Colorado State and Fresno State. Yep there's three power programs. No wait never mind they aren't. Heck even the one P5 non con. team they played in Free Shoes U. has not done as well this year as the one we played being TCU.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 08:12:37 am
The problem is you don't see it. You are blinded by it. Whatever it is.

Not sure extension etc makes up for the suppression of education in the rest of the state for a century

1highhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 11:29:48 am
I'm an NWA guy, but have traveled all over to see the Hogs play. Some of my fondest memories are games at WMS.  Over the last several years I have been proponent of playing all games in Fayetteville, on campus.  It has just been in the last few years that I have changed my way of thinking about this issue.  I am blessed enough to be able to travel to the games and I selfishly wanted the game 10 minutes from the house.  It's a perspective that I feel that a lot of us isolated here in NWA share.  That being said, the drama of the last few years has changed fans perspective.  Through things like message boards and other technology, the world is smaller.  But the reality is that a 6 hour car ride and a costly hotel on top of costly tickets not only make it difficult for many, it alienated them.  This is something that the new athletic administration is going to have to deal with head on.  My wish is that there will still be football at WMS. I also hope that the state and the university can work together to make WMS a more desirable place to play those games.  It is a shame that a facility, originally built to honor those that served is in such disrepair.   The stadium needs to be upgraded.  A way to make that happen needs to be found.  WMS is a part of Razorback Football and should always be.

If they would expand WMS to where it would seat 70,000 plus and then play one Razorback game there against and opponent of national prominence they would have a sellout, but I like the idea the OP had about former hogs getting involved in bringing kids from boys and girls clubs to the games, we need something to Jumpstart these kids on a good path.  Football right now is on a upswing in central Arkansas, but we still need major work in the inner city area to get these kids off the street, central arkansas can provide way more recruits in football than what it has been in the last 15 years or more.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:17:55 am

Not sure extension etc makes up for the suppression of education in the rest of the state for a century

Please tell us how, great genius that you think you are, that the UA has suppressed education in the rest of the state. Almost ALL states have one campus that is know for being the largest or best ranking wise and/or doing a lot more research. Especially those that are small population states. I guess those that live in west Nebraska don't like the Cornhuskers.....................

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on November 23, 2017, 08:19:23 am
If they would expand WMS to where it would seat 70,000 plus and then play one Razorback game there against and opponent of national prominence they would have a sellout, but I like the idea the OP had about former hogs getting involved in bringing kids from boys and girls clubs to the games, we need something to Jumpstart these kids on a good path.  Football right now is on a upswing in central Arkansas, but we still need major work in the inner city area to get these kids off the street, central arkansas can provide way more recruits in football than what it has been in the last 15 years or more.

They can't fix the schools in Central Arkansas, the state doesn't have the money  to do the $10m upgrade, much less the $50-75m it would take to expand it for one game. I'd rather see the state put the money in the school system, but I imagine, as before, the lawyers will get the lion's share of it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:22:50 am
They can't fix the schools in Central Arkansas, the state doesn't have the money  to do the $10m upgrade, much less the $50-75m it would take to expand it for one game. I'd rather see the state put the money in the school system, but I imagine, as before, the lawyers will get the lion's share of it.

Lawyers provide a valuable service. They gain a lot of value for themselves providing it....................

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 08:20:09 am
Please tell us how, great genius that you think you are, that the UA has suppressed education in the rest of the state.

They got all the $$$ and suppressed other colleges politically.

So in 2017 the state still lacks things like dentistry, vet schools etc but precious NWA gets its very own minimedical school to suck even more resources out of the other 73 counties.

ur

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 08:17:08 am
Guess who Bama played this year. None other than Mercer, Colorado State and Fresno State. Yep there's three power programs. No wait never mind they aren't. Heck even the one P5 non con. team they played in Free Shoes U. has not done as well this year as the one we played being TCU.
Doesn't change my mind to lining up cupcakes.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:24:57 am

So in 2017 the state still lacks things like dentistry, vet schools etc but precious NWA gets its very own minimedical school to suck even more resources out of the other 73 counties.

NWA controls all the votes in the state?

parallaxpig

Quote from: IronHog on November 22, 2017, 05:19:54 pm

No other power five school is in a football backwater like NWA

Wow, have you ever traveled out of Arkansas?  Starkville, Oxford, Stillwater, Baton Rouge, Lubbock, Waco, etc etc... Your hatred for NWA is apparent........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 23, 2017, 08:28:21 am
Doesn't change my mind to lining up cupcakes.

Then in your scenario, you would have 6 home games, and 6 away, P5's are going to want a home and home.

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 23, 2017, 08:32:27 am
Wow, have you ever traveled out of Arkansas?  Starkville, Oxford, Stillwater, Baton Rouge, Lubbock, Waco, etc etc... Your hatred for NWA is apparent........

He's just trolling, but it's something to do while the women folks is fixing the grub....

HogCzar1

Quote from: hogcods8 on November 23, 2017, 07:23:54 am
It seems like you're really confused about how football works. We play 3 cupcake games each year Einstein. Why not make ASU one of those games, thereby guaranteeing a sellout? I know that's tough for you to comprehend....

For the umpteenth time, if you are this enamored with ASU, please go buy a ticket in Jonesboro and watch them play.

Any failure to sell out Razorback games is due to the awful product on the field, not because people will only buy a ticket to watch ASU.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:33:36 am
He's just trolling, but it's something to do while the women folks is fixing the grub....

I hope so, or somebody hittin the clear early..............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:28:53 am
NWA controls all the votes in the state?

Controlled the education $$$ for years

Still does

HogCzar1

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:24:57 am

Didn't Jonesboro get it's DO school? Or did I miss something?
How many dollars is that sucking out of the rest of the state, or surrounding counties in NEA?

ur

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:32:35 am
Then in your scenario, you would have 6 home games, and 6 away, P5's are going to want a home and home.
No, I understand we need teams that don't require a return home game. My question, that hasn't been answered is, do Memphis, Houston, UCF play games for a million bucks without requiring a return home game? I just want to make the cupcakes a little harder to eat and more enjoyable to watch. And I don't care what bama or other teams do.

Ironhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:22:50 am

Ricepig I am with you, well, sort of.  Rather than seeing tax dollars go to repair War Memorial Stadium, I would rather see tax dollars go to improve education throughout the state, but especially in Little Rock.  I don't think WMS needs an expansion, but just improve what is already there.  Raise the funds through corporate and private funding.  Encourage other colleges to play a game there once a year.  If Arkansas, Arkansas State, UAPB, Arkansas Tech, UCA, Henderson, Ouachita Baptist, Harding, UAM and SAU all played one game a year there in addition to other events like state championship games, maybe the old girl could still be relevant?

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 23, 2017, 08:49:42 am
No, I understand we need teams that don't require a return home game. My question, that hasn't been answered is, do Memphis, Houston, UCF play games for a million bucks without requiring a return home game? I just want to make the cupcakes a little harder to eat and more enjoyable to watch. And I don't care what bama or other teams do.

We paid CC $1.5m, NMSU around $1.3m, I don't know what it would cost for those others. One of Long's biggest problems was scheduling home games, he apparently couldn't or wouldn't think more than two years out. You read all the time about StateU you scheduling Local Tech for 2025-2028 all the time.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:35:36 am

Controlled the education $$$ for years

Still does

Because in the past it was based on attendance, yeah, for some reason the school with the most students has gotten the most money, funny how that works......

HawgTide

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 22, 2017, 10:29:52 pm
My only quibble is... why should we care how easy it is for Mizzou and it’s fans to get to the game?

Exactly. Screw Mizzou

FIOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 06:35:45 am
I wonder if there is this debate among Florida, Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU or Georgia fans? Does Florida make certain that they play an off campus game in Miami every year? Do any of those programs insure that they play an in-state off campus game every year? A&M plays us in Dallas every year, but they don't schedule an annual game in San Antonio. Does Georgia play in Macon or Savannah each year? Does LSU schedule a game in Shreveport or Monroe every year?

I'm not against keeping a game in LR each year but Arkansas fans who have to travel across the state to watch a game in Fayetteville aren't really in any different position than fans of most college football programs.

IF Shreveport or Monroe was anywhere near the size of New Orleans or even Baton Rouge for that matter then there might be a push to bring a game north. Probably 75% or more of the state's population is from Alexandria south.

Totally different from what Arkansas faces.

1highhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2017, 08:50:02 am
Ricepig I am with you, well, sort of.  Rather than seeing tax dollars go to repair War Memorial Stadium, I would rather see tax dollars go to improve education throughout the state, but especially in Little Rock.  I don't think WMS needs an expansion, but just improve what is already there.  Raise the funds through corporate and private funding.  Encourage other colleges to play a game there once a year.  If Arkansas, Arkansas State, UAPB, Arkansas Tech, UCA, Henderson, Ouachita Baptist, Harding, UAM and SAU all played one game a year there in addition to other events like state championship games, maybe the old girl could still be relevant?

Those schools for the most part have a hard time selling out their own Stadiums, how could they sell out WMS?

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on November 23, 2017, 09:22:08 am
Those schools for the most part have a hard time selling out their own Stadiums, how could they sell out WMS?

They don't and won't, isn't obvious the every state school is clamoring to play in LR @ WMS?

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:56:16 am
Because in the past it was based on attendance, yeah, for some reason the school with the most students has gotten the most money, funny how that works......

The school with the most students was where 95% of the population couldn't get to it....

Just flat stupid and a major reason Ark is Ark

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 09:59:37 am

The school with the most students was where 95% of the population couldn't get to it....

Just flat stupid and a major reason Ark is Ark

The world needs ditch diggers too.....