Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunney

Started by nobballconcept, November 21, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nobballconcept

Is Lunney retained by any or all new HC?  Feel like he has done a good job. Keeps some in state contacts in place for recruiting  and bleeds hogs.

ipigsooie

Quote from: nobballconcept on November 21, 2017, 08:27:46 pm
Is Lunney retained by any or all new HC?  Feel like he has done a good job. Keeps some in state contacts in place for recruiting  and bleeds hogs.

Id say yes if its norvell. No if its gus. Little timmy will be gus's recruiter for arkansas

BOAR_N2BWILD

I would think so. Smart move. If it is Gus, which it may or may not be.... I would especially expect to see him stay in some capacity. That would bring Gus, Horton and Lunney all to the recruiting trail.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Bubba's Bruisers

What's so special about Lunney?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogwarrior

It's going to be NO period for any new coach!  These guys bring their own folks with them!

Freebrd

as you call him, "little timmy" has done a yeoman's job recruiting running backs and he would be a very nice addition to any UofA staff

King Kong

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 08:32:31 pm
It's going to be NO period for any new coach!  These guys bring their own folks with them!

It is not uncommon for their to be a leftover of one from then previous staff. Both Petrino and Bielema did.

If it's Gus he may keep Lunney if for some reason Larry Porter didn't come along.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I would retain Lunney. Loves the hogs, has done a decent job, could be a great asset in the transition period because he knows the players.

stan the man

I believe Lunney will be offered a job with the new. Staff. He is the only home grown person on the staff.  All high school coaches know and respect him. Plus since he is a former Razorback player.

Bubba's Bruisers

What kind of coach is Lunney? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Freebrd on November 21, 2017, 08:32:52 pm
as you call him, "little timmy" has done a yeoman's job recruiting running backs and he would be a very nice addition to any UofA staff

Which running backs did he recruit?  Lunney rarely misses in state players.

online-with-swine

Like him but Lunney needs to go somewhere else for a bit.  He needs expand his resume and maybe try and catch on as a coordinator somewhere.  I think eventually he could be a head coach.

grumpyoldboar

I don't think he stays. However, I could be wrong.

ipigsooie

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 21, 2017, 08:42:01 pm
Like him but Lunney needs to go somewhere else for a bit.  He needs expand his resume and maybe try and catch on as a coordinator somewhere.  I think eventually he could be a head coach.

He is the lead recruiter on a lot of these kids that have committed.  I think it would help if we kept him in the chaos of change. Also, arkansas is his specialty area, and since he has been here, kj hill is the only kid i can remember him missing on in state. 

Hogwarrior

STOP IT!  Why?  The only way that happens is if the new coach has an assistant who defects!  Why would a new coach need a lead recruiter in the state of Arkansas?  Lunney will be GONE when the new coach comes in!  Why should we care any way?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 08:46:41 pm
He is the lead recruiter on a lot of these kids that have committed.  I think it would help if we kept him in the chaos of change. Also, arkansas is his specialty area, and since he has been here, kj hill is the only kid i can remember him missing on in state. 

Who has he committed that we're afraid to lose?

Freebrd

Horton's ties in the state helped immensely, and he secured key parts of a recruiting class that proved to be the foundation for Petrino's impending success: receivers Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Chris Gragg and Greg Childs. Running back Jonathan Williams, an All-SEC selection and 1,000-yard rusher, was recruited to the Razorbacks by Tim Horton.  Williams rushed for 1,190 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, becoming the fourth running back recruited by Horton to hit the 1,000-yard mark while at Arkansas, including two-time Heisman runnerup Darren McFadden. Horton coached at Arkansas for four years.

swineology

Quote from: nobballconcept on November 21, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

He gone, look at our WR's

Dog Poop

nobballconcept

well I care. He's a hog thru and thru. Hope he can stay.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 08:49:54 pm
STOP IT!  Why?  The only way that happens is if the new coach has an assistant who defects!  Why would a new coach need a lead recruiter in the state of Arkansas?  Lunney will be GONE when the new coach comes in!  Why should we care any way?

I agree, unless Lunney is some special stud recruiter and coach.  I doubt he is.  The Lunney talk is simply rooted in the fact he's from Arkansas.  Therefore he must be awesome.

nobballconcept

He's tight ends. Not wr. Geez. No your stuff before posting

nobballconcept

I don't think he will be kept but I would like to see him given a chance

DeltaBoy

Love Lunney
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: swineology on November 21, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
He gone, look at our WR's

Dog Poop

Michael Smith coach's WRs einstein

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 08:31:36 pm
What's so special about Lunney?

Have you ever met him?  His love for Arkansas has limited his advancement.  Lunney is head coach material.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Freebrd on November 21, 2017, 08:51:46 pm
Horton's ties in the state helped immensely, and he secured key parts of a recruiting class that proved to be the foundation for Petrino's impending success: receivers Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Chris Gragg and Greg Childs. Running back Jonathan Williams, an All-SEC selection and 1,000-yard rusher, was recruited to the Razorbacks by Tim Horton.  Williams rushed for 1,190 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, becoming the fourth running back recruited by Horton to hit the 1,000-yard mark while at Arkansas, including two-time Heisman runnerup Darren McFadden. Horton coached at Arkansas for four years.

Sorry, i thought you said running backs he recruited.  I misread. Mcfadden was coached by horton at the end but not recruited. I could've coached dmac and made him all american. If jwill is the only rb he recruited i think we will be ok without him. Considering he missed on an in state back that went on to be the mvp of the national championship. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 21, 2017, 08:57:17 pm
Have you ever met him?  His love for Arkansas has limited his advancement.  Lunney is head coach material.

No I haven't met him, which is why I'm asking.  Why is he HC material?  Other than he's loves the helmet, which we all know means he must be an awesome coach.  So besides that fact, what else?

WaltonCollege

Henry, Gragg, and Derby. All NFL tight ends made Lunneys job easy. He lost them and how have our TEs been since? All I'm saying is I'm just sayin

DOGALUM

The question is.....Will Bobby Allen stay on?  And if so, will he have another son so we will all have that to look forward to?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 09:00:13 pm
Sorry, i thought you said running backs he recruited.  I misread. Mcfadden was coached by horton at the end but not recruited. I could've coached dmac and made him all american. If jwill is the only rb he recruited i think we will be ok without him. Considering he missed on an in state back that went on to be the mvp of the national championship. 

Didn't BP essentially tell that RB to go jump in a lake?  I'm not some Horton fan, but I can't believe Lunney is some guru we can't do without.  That he's any better than Horton.

Horton had Dmac.  Lunney had Henry...another in-stater who you could have coached to All American status.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 09:05:42 pm
Didn't BP essentially tell that RB to go jump in a lake?  I'm not some Horton fan, but I can't believe Lunney is some guru we can't do without.  That he's any better than Horton.

Horton had Dmac.  Lunney had Henry...another in-stater who you could have coached to All American status.

This is true!i couldve!

ipigsooie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 09:05:42 pm

I though we were recruiting Dyer really hard. I just chalked it up to Guss checkbook being bigger than ours back then.  That whole deal was really suspicious.

jfred59

Quote from: Freebrd on November 21, 2017, 08:51:46 pm

Horton coached under Nutt, BP, JLS.  I think at least 10 years.  Class guy and coach

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 09:01:11 pm
No I haven't met him, which is why I'm asking.  Why is he HC material?  Other than he's loves the helmet, which we all know means he must be an awesome coach.  So besides that fact, what else?

Lunney works a room like a head coach. 

Football isn't that complicated.  Lunney played QB for the Razorbacks for four years.  He was good.  His dad was a head coach for many years.  Coaching comes natural for him. 

Lots of people can coach.  Of those, few have Lunney's presence and interpersonal skills.  Those are the skills that separate position coaches from coordinators and head coaches. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 21, 2017, 09:10:06 pm
Lunney works a room like a head coach. 

Football isn't that complicated.  Lunney played QB for the Razorbacks for four years.  He was good.  His dad was a head coach for many years.  Coaching comes natural for him. 

Lots of people can coach.  Of those, few have Lunney's presence and interpersonal skills.  Those are the skills that separate position coaches from coordinators and head coaches. 

He may very well be HC material, but your explanation as to why isn't very compelling.  Lots of guys played QB in college with great interpersonal skills...can work a room.  Especially when that Room is filled adoring fans fawning over a former player.  If he was really smart, he'd pursue other opportunities to advance.  I mean he's moving into his mid 40's and seemingly no signs of moving past TE coach at his alma mater.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 09:17:26 pm
He may very well be HC material, but your explanation as to why isn't very compelling.  Lots of guys played QB in college with great interpersonal skills...can work a room.  Especially when that Room is filled adoring fans fawning over a former player.  If he was really smart, he'd pursue other opportunities to advance.  I mean he's moving into his mid 40's and seemingly no signs of moving past TE coach at his alma mater.

That's not the kind of room I've seen him work. 

moses_007

Nope, new coach will be told to clean house, let all current assistants go, and start out fresh.  That's the way it should be.  Too many of these folks have hung around the program too long (like B. Allen.....)

Piggfoot

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 09:00:13 pm
and who was that?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: moses_007 on November 21, 2017, 09:35:25 pm
Nope, new coach will be told to clean house, let all current assistants go, and start out fresh.  That's the way it should be.  Too many of these folks have hung around the program too long (like B. Allen.....)

I suspect so.  And I don't see Lunney has being irreplaceable at all.  And frankly, if he's got higher aspirations, he needs to leave.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 21, 2017, 09:32:35 pm
That's not the kind of room I've seen him work. 

Sure, but what kind of coach is he?

Bubba's Bruisers

texas tush hog

If Gus gets our job, he brings Lil Timmy with him, and him and Lunney are incompatible. The only coach on our staff who would stay is Michael Smith,our best recruiter in Louisiana, every body else is toast. Norvell might retain Lunney but still doubful. Color Lil Barry GONE.

Hawg Life

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 09:50:45 pm
If Gus gets our job, he brings Lil Timmy with him, and him and Lunney are incompatible. The only coach on our staff who would stay is Michael Smith,our best recruiter in Louisiana, every body else is toast. Norvell might retain Lunney but still doubful. Color Lil Barry GONE.

I think Norvell would keep Lunney. Lunney has the relationships with the high school kids and has recruited many class of 19 since they were freshmen & sophomores. James Shibest will be our Special Teams Coach too.

jdlew

Lunney can stay if he wants to...This big push for Arkansas people running the program...there will be a spot for him here...

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 09:42:53 pm
I suspect so.  And I don't see Lunney has being irreplaceable at all.  And frankly, if he's got higher aspirations, he needs to leave.

If he had higher aspirations he would have left years ago. That was my point. Some people are motivated by more than just money and power. I realize that's a difficult concept.

Of course he's not irreplaceable. Everyone is replaceable. The question is whether it makes sense to replace him.

King Kong

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 09:50:45 pm

I would like to keep Smith because of his recruiting and we have had good WR most of his years here.

But Kodi is a Gus guy and I'm sure Kodi is okay moving back home

Wardhog85

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 21, 2017, 09:04:09 pm
Henry, Gragg, and Derby. All NFL tight ends made Lunneys job easy. He lost them and how have our TEs been since? All I'm saying is I'm just sayin
Sooooooo Lunney doesn't get the credit for developing Henry, Derby, and Sprinkle? That makes perfect sense. Also, Gragg never played a down for Lunney, I'm just saying.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 21, 2017, 09:56:14 pm
I think Norvell would keep Lunney. Lunney has the relationships with the high school kids and has recruited many class of 19 since they were freshmen & sophomores. James Shibest will be our Special Teams Coach too.

Shibest makes like 450k and has no ties to Norvell. That is extremely unlikely

Been10Hog

Lunney will stay if he wants to. Lunney Sr. was like a mentor to Gus

King Kong

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 21, 2017, 09:04:09 pm

Okay first. Gragg didn't play for Lunney. That was Petrino. You must be thinking of Sprinkle.

We Lunney got here Sprinkle was a WR and Derby a QB. Who the heck do you think taught them to play?