Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All is well in the world of college basketball

Started by scorekeeper, April 04, 2015, 10:35:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scorekeeper

Building a team is what college basketball should be about.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

40MINSOFHELL

Now let's get calipari out of college basketball!

Hoggish1

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 04, 2015, 10:35:59 pm
Building a team is what college basketball should be about.

Amen.  Putting a bunch of one and dones on the same team and housing them in a five star hotel where they take computer classes is not what it's about...

Hawghiggs

Calipari didn't make the rules. He is just living by them. You don't think he would want to keep some of these guys around longer?

scorekeeper

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 04, 2015, 11:06:02 pm
Calipari didn't make the rules. He is just living by them. You don't think he would want to keep some of these guys around longer?
Who wouldn't want to keep true one and done guys like Towns around. That roster has entirely way to much turnover he rents players for a couple years at best. Don't you think there is something wrong with no seniors playing, and 1 junior playing? Also, that junior, WCS, is probably only there because of an injury from last year. This team will likely lose at least 5 players other than their 3 waterboys on the bench. Possibly 8 new guys next year.

latrops

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 04, 2015, 11:06:02 pm

He doesn't have to sign several players per year that are expected to be one and dones.  He could mix in a few three star guys and develop them....but that isn't his thing.  He and his recruits usually expect that if things work as well as hoped, it will be a one....maybe two year relationship.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 04, 2015, 11:16:56 pm
Who wouldn't want to keep true one and done guys like Towns around. That roster has entirely way to much turnover he rents players for a couple years at best. Don't you think there is something wrong with no seniors playing, and 1 junior playing? Also, that junior, WCS, is probably only there because of an injury from last year. This team will likely lose at least 5 players other than their 3 waterboys on the bench. Possibly 8 new guys next year.
No I don't. Calipari is a guy that is more loyal to his players than to his employer. He tells the players he recruits that he will get them to the NBA and for the most part he does.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: latrops on April 04, 2015, 11:28:43 pm
He doesn't have to sign several players per year that are expected to be one and dones.  He could mix in a few three star guys and develop them....but that isn't his thing.  He and his recruits usually expect that if things work as well as hoped, it will be a one....maybe two year relationship.
Why on earth would he recruit less talented players?

scorekeeper

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 04, 2015, 11:38:30 pm
No I don't. Calipari is a guy that is more loyal to his players than to his employer. He tells the players he recruits that he will get them to the NBA and for the most part he does.
Cool. There is a lot to be said about team ball. They don't have. They won 38 games because no drop off on their bench. No mental toughness...and to talk about a shot clock violation, I'm glad they didn't win it all. That was not the best team in the history of college basketball and I'm glad they have no claim to it. The NBA rule needs to change and then lets see with Cal does.

latrops

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 04, 2015, 11:40:28 pm
Why on earth would he recruit less talented players?

I doubt he would.  He has done pretty well with his approach.  It was a response to the idea that Cal would probably prefer to keep more of his players longer.  The top talents want to get to the NBA asap.  He embraces that and tells them he can help.  As such....lamenting the fact he doesn't have juniors and seniors is invalid.  He doesn't have them because he doesn't recruit players that are likely to remain in college 4 years.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

1.  Cal is a good coach.
2.  Cal has had some questionable run ins with the NCAA from the past.
3.  Cal does seem to care about his players....At least for the most part.
4.  Cal wrangles the hell out of the rules regarding the one and dones.
5.  Cal is using what the NCAA provided after the disastrous NBA ruling of one year removed from HS.
6.  Cal may be moving on soon.
7.  Cal was good for Kentucky short term.
8.  Hog fans (for the most part) are jealous of Kentucky's success and Cal's vs our success and our host of dorks during his tenure there.
9.  College B-Ball is broken and has been since players started leaving before their Junior years.
10. Unless the NBA adopts something similar to MLB or NFL, it won't get fixed.
11. The years leading up to the None and Dones and then One and Dones were glorious and placed a spotlight on talent, experience, and team chemistry.  Something that is desperately lacking as of now and the previous several years.

That about cover it?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HawgnCorona

Well I will bet ol' Ashley is jumping for joy...Oh wait that was last week.

Never mind...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hawghiggs

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 04, 2015, 11:46:08 pm
Cool. There is a lot to be said about team ball. They don't have. They won 38 games because no drop off on their bench. No mental toughness...and to talk about a shot clock violation, I'm glad they didn't win it all. That was not the best team in the history of college basketball and I'm glad they have no claim to it. The NBA rule needs to change and then lets see with Cal does.
Did you even watch Kentucky? They play team ball. They rotate in and out like no one else in college. And it was a shot clock violation.

Woopig69

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 05, 2015, 08:34:25 am
Did you even watch Kentucky? They play team ball. They rotate in and out like no one else in college. And it was a shot clock violation.
it was also a flagrant foul

scorekeeper

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 05, 2015, 08:34:25 am
Did you even read my first post. Building a team. Kentucky was not a team built like a college team. No seniors and one junior lacks in team building. You can key in on one word all you want, but let's be real here Kentucky has exploited the NBA's one year rule and it has been documented. Is it illegal? No. Am I happy that they got an L? YES!!!

scorekeeper

Quote from: Woopig69 on April 05, 2015, 08:46:26 am
it was also a flagrant foul
Exactly. The flagrant was just as bad a no call as the shot clock violation.  You could even say the missed flagrant was the worse of the two because that would have been two free throws and the ball.

Hawghiggs