Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College game going from 2 Halves to 4 Qtrs

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 03, 2015, 05:07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

April 03, 2015, 05:07:34 pm Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:20:15 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
I'm a avid basketball fan and as I am watching ESPNU High School  Basketball & NBA..... the games seem to be more fluid with half as many commercial  breaks.

At present in NCAA basketball, the media timeouts begin aftert 16:00, 12:00, 8:00 and 4:00 minute marks of each half.

Add to that each team has 5 timeouts each which equates to a possible 20 FREAKING TIMEOUTS!!!

The average 2.5 hr game consist of  15 minutes of commentary on other events and a whopping 45minutes worth of commercials.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

chiefhawg

If the game is played in halves like the NBA, you can miss the 1st 3 quarters then tune into the last 10 minutes of the 4th qtr of each game to get the real viewing value.

pigture perfect

Fewer tv timeouts certainly would make games more enjoyable. It would also help the Hogs style of play.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Danny J

Yep...the media timeouts IMHO are one of the biggest reasons why point totals have gone done. Just too many timeouts and no real rhythm or flow to games anymore. Just tune into the final four and be ready to watch commercials.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 03, 2015, 05:07:34 pm
I'm a avid basketball fan and as I am watching ESPNU High School  Basketball & NBA..... the games seem to be more fluid with half as many commercial  breaks.

At present in NCAA basketball, the media timeouts begin aftert 16:00, 12:00, 8:00 and 4:00 minute marks of each half.

Add to that each team has 5 timeouts each which equates to a possible 20 FREAKING TIMEOUTS!!!

The average 2.5 hr game consist of  15 minutes of commentary on other events and a whopping 45minutes worth of commercials.

I'd love to see them go to four quarters and otherwise eliminate the TV timeouts.
WPS

Pigsknuckles

April 03, 2015, 09:52:46 pm #5 Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:07:18 am by Pigsknuckles
In tonight's KU ND game replay, some of the 2nd half media time outs were longer than the halftime break.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Breems

Timeouts are out of control. Something has to be done. Every single fricken game, we see multiple instances of timeout ---> one possession ---> timeout.

It's annoying as hell and makes the games fricken unwatchable at times. Something has to be done.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

3kgthog

I wish our American sports followed the soccer advertising model. You never see commercials until intermission. I only watch when the US is playing, but it's become enjoyable simply because it doesn't stop. Basketball will stop a player between his first and second FT attempts. That's ridiculous.

ChicoHog

Go from 5 timeouts to 3 and also don't let the coaches call time.  Put it on the players.  The coaches will never vote for that change however. 

bulldog04

Quote from: Danny J on April 03, 2015, 05:29:12 pm
Yep...the media timeouts IMHO are one of the biggest reasons why point totals have gone done. Just too many timeouts and no real rhythm or flow to games anymore. Just tune into the final four and be ready to watch commercials.
That and calling the ticky tack fouls.  Offense can't get in a rhythm and that's what putting runs together is about