Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis is AP 2nd Team All-American

Started by jbcarol, March 30, 2015, 11:53:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AP Top 25 @AP_Top25  ·  41m 41 minutes ago

Frank Kaminsky leads AP All-America team. See who else made it: http://apne.ws/1xtnCRq 

Quote...Utah senior Delon Wright led the second team and was joined by Kentucky freshman Karl-Anthony Towns, Northern Iowa senior Sean Tuttle, Arkansas sophomore Bobby Portis and Virginia junior Malcolm Brogdon.

...The voting, by the same 65-member media panel that selects the weekly Top 25, was done before the NCAA Tournament.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Iceman

RazorPiggie

Wisco Pig

jbhogfan4

Awesome for Bobby. When was the last time we had an AP first or second team All American? Corliss?

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 30, 2015, 12:01:32 pm
How in the heck did WCS get 1st team?

9 ppg, 6.5 rebs, 1.0 asts, 1.7 blks, 1.2 stls, 25 minutes game.

1st team All-American....really?

jbhogfan4

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 30, 2015, 12:09:24 pm

I think we all know that his stats would be higher on a different team, but the fact is that they're not. He has average stats and none of them are eye popping. There were a number of players more deserving than him no doubt

jbcarol

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on March 30, 2015, 12:03:11 pm
Awesome for Bobby. When was the last time we had an AP first or second team All American? Corliss?

Corliss was a consensus (and AP) 2nd Team All-American in '94 and '95.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on March 30, 2015, 12:14:01 pm
I think we all know that his stats would be higher on a different team, but the fact is that they're not. He has average stats and none of them are eye popping. There were a number of players more deserving than him no doubt

Yes. This award is based on what you did, for one year, in college. Nothing to do with how you project at the next level.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on March 30, 2015, 12:14:01 pm

Not sure of that.  He gets easy points by lobs and misses.  He does not get his own shot even against smaller weaker opponents.  He is a lock for a lob and slam once a game and a couple out backs.  Besides that he's a top rim protector. 

He's more nationally seen than Bobby, that's why.

hogman99

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 30, 2015, 12:09:24 pm

Not even the best player on his team.

bigred223

WCS is not deserving, but I guess media hype really can win you actual awards.

hogfan98

WCS is what it would look like if you put Steven Hill on this year's Kentucky team.  Dunks and blocks.  Nothing more.  He's a good player and I'd love to have him.  But he's propped up by a team of all stars and is no where near good enough for 1st team AA or POY honors.  I've never seen a more overrated player.

UKChamps

Congrats to both BP and WCS.   Heck of a year in college hoops for both of them.

Cresthog

Towns over WCS.

Biggest fluke hype job ever. Dude was non-existent in the Notre Dame game.

Congrats to Bobby, well deserved.

opineonswine

Congrats to Bobby!  Well deserved.  Proud he's from Arkansas.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

hawgmasta

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Cresthog on March 30, 2015, 01:14:47 pm
Towns over WCS.

Biggest fluke hype job ever. Dude was non-existent in the Notre Dame game.

Congrats to Bobby, well deserved.

You beat me to it.  All you have to do is look at the Notre Dame game to see who Calipari and the 'Cats believe is their MVP.  Towns.  In the words of Len Elmore, Cauley-Stein was being held back by his "lack of offensive skills."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Cresthog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 30, 2015, 01:38:56 pm
You beat me to it.  All you have to do is look at the Notre Dame game to see who Calipari and the 'Cats believe is their MVP.  Towns.  In the words of Len Elmore, Cauley-Stein was being held back by his "lack of offensive skills."

Towns kept them in the game on his own. His left pivot hook is pretty much unstoppable on the block.

3kgthog

Even the announcer during the UK-ND game was saying how Neck Tattoo was an offensive liability. I was shocked to hear a media member admit it, but he was right.

UKChamps

WCS is not an offensive superstar.  He's a game changing defender.  Who blocked Grant's 3  on the next to last possession and defended the last possession so that it was a double pump attempt that went way over the rim?  Your guy got SEC POY.  WCS is a first team AA    because of the way he affects the game. 

bosshog84

Congrats to Portis! Big achievement!! I agree with the posters that say Townes over WCS for the first team spot. Townes is more of a game changer.

talley

Quote from: UKChamps on March 30, 2015, 02:42:52 pm
WCS is not an offensive superstar.  He's a game changing defender.  Who blocked Grant's 3  on the next to last possession and defended the last possession so that it was a double pump attempt that went way over the rim?  Your guy got SEC POY.  WCS is a first team AA    because of the way he affects the game.

if you were picking a team... would you honestly pick WCS over townes?  I wouldn't!  Townes is WAY better than WCS

catfanNar

Just to let you know you won't win many arguments here i tried back in the day lol. Kinda like a Louisville poster on a UK board.

hawginbigd1

I think Lyles has the biggest upside, but there is no doubt i take towns over WCS. BP or Towns, it's a toss-up. I am also thinking that the best Freshman in the country however play home games at cameron indoor.

BP earned his award WTG! Now go ahead and come back for one more year and work on your handle and agility, so you become a top 5 pick and take us to the FF.

jm

WCS is not an offensive superstar.  He's a game changing defender.  Who blocked Grant's 3  on the next to last possession and defended the last possession so that it was a double pump attempt that went way over the rim?  Your guy got SEC POY.  WCS is a first team AA because of the way he affects the game.

I understand that you are a fan and the rose colored glasses have an impact on your judgement. We have all been there at some point.

The_Iceman

Quote from: catfanNar on March 30, 2015, 03:32:34 pm
Just to let you know you won't win many arguments here i tried back in the day lol. Kinda like a Louisville poster on a UK board.

Because most people on here don't go to other team's message boards. We don't understand the logic. Why would I ever go to a UK board?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: jbcarol on March 30, 2015, 12:16:17 pm
Corliss was a consensus (and AP) 2nd Team All-American in '94 and '95.

UA press guide (2009/2010 edition)says:

'94 = First team (Wooden)
'95 = First team (Wooden, The Sporting News)

Made multiple 2nd and 3rd team AAs both years........

latrops

You want to reference the ND game?  OK.  If you were to ask the ND head coach today what they struggled with the most... Defending KAT or finding a way to score...what would he say? 

It looked to me that ND did pretty well on offense up until the last minute plus when Grant started trying to play hero ball and win it himself with difficult outside shots.

gmarv

Danny J

Pigsfeat

"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

blu

Congrats to BP! Well deserved, looking forward to even greater individual and team honors next season!!!
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

N HOG

A statement and a question:

1. Congratulations, Bobby Portis.

2. Is WCS the third or fourth best player on Kentucky's team? Not sure. First time in history the third or fourth best player on a team was named first-team All-American.

jjdlc

He doesn't even have that much affect on the game defensively.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: N HOG on March 30, 2015, 08:14:21 pm
A statement and a question:

1. Congratulations, Bobby Portis.

2. Is WCS the third or fourth best player on Kentucky's team? Not sure. First time in history the third or fourth best player on a team was named first-team All-American.

I think Steven Hill had better stats than WCS but he didn't play for UK so no all American for him.

870hogfan

WCS the most overrated player in college basketball.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

popcornhog

Quote from: bigred223 on March 30, 2015, 12:32:37 pm
WCS is not deserving, but I guess media hype really can win you actual awards.

I totally disagree. All America honors aren't entirely based on offense. And of course every other player of WCS's caliber plays 35 minutes +/- per game.

That said, I wouldn't trade Portis for WCS. No doubt Portis's offensive game is better than WCS. Although WCS's D is better and he's more physical.

Major congrats to Bobby!
WPS

Danny J

Quote from: popcornhog on March 30, 2015, 08:57:09 pm
I totally disagree. All America honors aren't entirely based on offense. And of course every other player of WCS's caliber plays 35 minutes +/- per game.

That said, I wouldn't trade Portis for WCS. No doubt Portis's offensive game is better than WCS. Although WCS's D is better and he's more physical.

Major congrats to Bobby!
Here is what is confusing......wasn't Portis named unanimous AP SEC POY? If that is the case then how the hell is he second team AP All-American why WCS is first team? I would love someone explain that to me.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

dhornjr1

Quote from: Danny J on March 30, 2015, 09:22:51 pm
Here is what is confusing......wasn't Portis named unanimous AP SEC POY? If that is the case then how the hell is he second team AP All-American why WCS is first team? I would love someone explain that to me.

You know why. The SEC AP teams were voted on by people who watched SEC games all year long. The National  AP teams were voted on by people who watched Kentucky play 30 times and maybe watched Arkansas play five times this year.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 30, 2015, 05:45:16 pm
SEC Players named to Consensus All-American Teams Present back to 1992

Year   First Team                          Second Team
2015  Cauley-Stein, UK                 Portis, Ark; Towns, UK
2012  Davis, UK                            Kidd-Gilchrist, UK
2010  Wall, UK                             Cousins, UK
2009                                            Meeks, UK
2008                                           Foster, VU; Lofton, UT
2007  Law IV, A&M*                     Lofton, UT; Noah, UF
2004  Roberts, MS
2001                                           Prince, UK
2000                                           Swift, LSU
1999                                           Porter, AU
1998                                           Sesay, OM
1997  Mercer, UK
1996  Delk, UK
1995                                           Williamson, Ark
1994                                           Williamson, Ark; Booker, MU*
1993  Mashburn, UK                     McCaffery, VU
1992  O'Neal, LSU                        Peeler, MU*

*Big 12

UKChamps

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on March 30, 2015, 10:57:33 pm
You know why. The SEC AP teams were voted on by people who watched SEC games all year long. The National  AP teams were voted on by people who watched Kentucky play 30 times and maybe watched Arkansas play five times this year.

*or*  The SEC AP teams were voted on by folks that had a vested interest in promoting players/teams other than UK in order to lift up the remainder of the SEC. 

It is what it is.  I'm pleased with the season and my team even if it ends on Saturday night.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: UKChamps on March 31, 2015, 08:36:25 am
*or*  The SEC AP teams were voted on by folks that had a vested interest in promoting players/teams other than UK in order to lift up the remainder of the SEC. 

It is what it is.  I'm pleased with the season and my team even if it ends on Saturday night.

I can only hope.

I got a question. Who paid for all those tats WCS has? Cal?

Danny J

Quote from: UKChamps on March 31, 2015, 08:36:25 am

So in your opinion WCS is better than Portis and should have been named SEC POY? He is not even the best player on your team.

popcornhog

Quote from: Danny J on March 30, 2015, 09:22:51 pm

It is odd, but the two awards are unrelated.
WPS

catfanNar

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 30, 2015, 05:35:09 pm
Maybe because you're on an Arkansas board ding bat!
Right. Just trying to make ukchamps understand. I come in peace lol