Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grid Hogs leaving & returning

Started by redleg, November 30, 2015, 09:47:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 01:37:38 pm

No argues with that but good guards that can play some OT go where good guards go......

S. Andrews was a complete freak of nature and he went later in the first because he projected as a guard in the NFL.

Exactly.  But Bielema and Pittman put him out there to see and I think he's done a pretty good job.  If memory serves me this was a fall camp move too, so a full bowl practice and spring could really elevate him to a top LT and OG. 

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 30, 2015, 01:39:58 pm
Exactly.  But Bielema and Pittman put him out there to see and I think he's done a pretty good job.  If memory serves me this was a fall camp move too, so a full bowl practice and spring could really elevate him to a top LT and OG. 

Last two decent LOTs Hogs have had were Love and Ugoh.

Not sure DK is a better OT than either of those guys in college......he's an elite guard though.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 30, 2015, 12:45:54 pm
Bruh, this guy knows everyone from coaches, to players, to recruits.  I think he even said BA is one of his "homeboys".  Not sure how a 40+ year old man becomes "homeboys" with a 22 year old kid, but hey, maybe he is.  Maybe we should take his word as gospel here.
just know BA b/c my adopted son played with him and Brooks
. And since we are both from Fayettenam, we are homeboys. Hunter may go pro but I'd say it's a very small chance.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 30, 2015, 01:34:34 pm
Bielema did publicly come out and say awhile back Kirkland to tackle took some selling to Kirkland but if he could own that spot his draft stock and income would go up drastically in the NFL.  They put him out there to hopefully make him an elite LT, not because he was out best.  Although those could both be the case.

I agree that him playing LT in the SEC increases his draft stock for the reasons mentioned in your above post. I think it increases his stock in that he has experience at multiple positions and while he may be best suited at guard, he can kick out to LT if your starter gets injured. That is a very valuable trait. I looked up Barrett Jones the guy who played RG, LT, and center for Bama being being all conference and winning two different national OL awards at 2 different positions (LT and center). I thought he was a first rounder but ended up in the fourth in the 2013 draft and is already on his 3rd team on the practice squad. Genuinely thought he was doing better than that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 30, 2015, 01:55:13 pm
If Hunter Henry's family is truly well off, and getting a degree has been a priority from the beginning for all of them, then he may well stay another year. 

I seem to remember reading a story about Hunter's father throwing multiple letters from NFL teams in the trash during college... un-opened.

We know people here in SoCal who's son turned down a $3,000,000 signing bonus from the Yankees to instead go to college.  Family is very well off, and college was a priority.

$3,000,000 would be a life-changer for most people, but there are some for whom that isn't the primary motivating factor.
these guys can't fathom it
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 30, 2015, 01:05:06 pm
Yeah, but he still projects to the NFL as a guard more than a LT. He can try as he might to be  LT in the NFL and certainly has the ability to be a spot starter there, but he can be an elite guard and would at best be a mediocre/average LT at the NFL, IMO.

Maybe it would help him stay if someone sent him a copy of "The Blind Side".
This is my non-signature signature.

little pigee

If Hunter Henry's family is truly well off, and getting a degree has been a priority from the beginning for all of them, then he may well stay another year. 

I seem to remember reading a story about Hunter's father throwing multiple letters from NFL teams in the trash during college... un-opened.

We know people here in SoCal who's son turned down a $3,000,000 signing bonus from the Yankees to instead go to college.  Family is very well off, and college was a priority.

$3,000,000 would be a life-changer for most people, but there are some for whom that isn't the primary motivating factor. 
It's not about the money...it's about the AMOUNT of money.  His family is well-off because of money.  They think about it every day.  It helps them decide how to make more money.  Take it to the bank.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 12:02:03 pm
DK isn't magically going to become a dominate LT.  He's got a guards body and projects there as a pro...

See Alvin Bailey.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/dominate.html

;D

Grizzlyfan

So is HH's father a surgeon or on staff of a church?  We seem to have a lot of experts on the Henry's but that's a pretty wide choice of occupations.

Paul

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 30, 2015, 03:41:28 pm
So is HH's father a surgeon or on staff of a church?  We seem to have a lot of experts on the Henry's but that's a pretty wide choice of occupations.
with Obamacare, the two salaries may be close

ricepig

Did you click on the link?

supersaint

I watched Hunter's dad throw away letters from NFL teams. He had no interest in playing in the NFL. I won't speculate why, but that's how it was. It may not have any bearing on Hunter. I don't know him and haven't seen his dad in years.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

BigSexyHog

Why is it even a big deal to some of ya'll?  I don't get the back and forth in all of this.  If he wants to go he will go, if he wants to stay he will stay
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

onebadrubi

Hunter Henry is both a doctor and a star TE.  His father is the leading preacher at a very large church in LR. 

BielemaBrilliance

HH would graduate in May if I am not mistaken.
"When you win, nothing hurts" Joe N

HF#1

Collins and Henry are gone.  I think Denver comes back unless he gets something better than a 3 round grade.  He's got potential to be a first rounder.

Alex isn't coming back because he can get drafted and make a roster right now and won't want to risk the Jonathan Williams scenario.

Hunter Henry is arguably the best TE in the country.  He's Tyler Eifert type of a TE.  Dude is gone.  If he comes back, this fanbase should bow down at his feet.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HF#1 on November 30, 2015, 04:57:29 pm
Collins and Henry are gone.  I think Denver comes back unless he gets something better than a 3 round grade.  He's got potential to be a first rounder.

Alex isn't coming back because he can get drafted and make a roster right now and won't want to risk the Jonathan Williams scenario.

Hunter Henry is arguably the best TE in the country.  He's Tyler Eifert type of a TE.  Dude is gone.  If he comes back, this fanbase should bow down at his feet.
get ready to bow then...
@Slackaveli

IronHog

IronHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 30, 2015, 01:58:49 pm
these guys can't fathom it

The question isn't money but rather NFL career......

If you REALLY want to play in the pros you go.

If you are just going to pull a Matt Jones no effort NFL stint it doesn't matter........

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 05:35:30 pm

If you are just going to pull a Matt Jones no effort NFL stint it doesn't matter........

Many different scenarios then you laid out

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 30, 2015, 05:55:27 pm
Many different scenarios then you laid out

For every "successful" person there's 10 talented people that didn't make it.....often due to circumstances beyond their control.

You wanna play in NFL?  Better go because that chance is fleeting.

Hogdomer

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 05:35:30 pm

So Peyton Manning didn't REALLY want to play in the NFL because he came back for his senior season at Tennessee? 

pigture perfect

I will never be great and at reading A kids mind when it comes to life decisions. Neither of my college age kids chose professions that surprised me.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

murthage

Maybe I missed it, but I think CBB said Keon Hatcher plans on returning also.

murthage

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 30, 2015, 06:10:42 pm
So Peyton Manning didn't REALLY want to play in the NFL because he came back for his senior season at Tennessee? 

+ 100     Touche'       

jkstock04

I can't ever remember seeing a blue chip type of player like Henry that was a Hog that stayed on for his senior season for the hell of it or for the education. I don't ever remember that happening.

If Henry stays it'll be a first for me to witness as a Hog fan. I'm doubtful he stays/
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

tusksincolorado

Rice is correct....I thought he was related to a Dr David Henry from LR. My mistake.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

IronHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 30, 2015, 06:10:42 pm

That was almost 20 years ago.......it's a different deal now.

yraciv

I'll say right now, I think HH should go to the NFL because I believe that is most college athletes dream & your football career, earning potential in the sport, and the fact you can always go back in graduate.  I also believe 95% of young men who are perceived the top prospect at their position would jump as well, so it's far fetched for me to think he'd come back.

That being said maybe HH is #uncommon so to speak.  If he is loving school, and his family is financially comfortable than that gives him an option that a lot of other college athletes in his position don't have.  And another important thing to point out is a prospect like Hunter Henry could take a out a pretty hefty insurance policy to protect against the unthinkable injury his SR year.

Pig in the Pokey

Remember when Matt Leinart(sp) was all set to be the #1 pick in the draft and he came back just to party for 1 more year. You just never know.
@Slackaveli

Lake City Hog

Wasn't Flowers projected to go fairly high?

Hogdomer

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 09:49:44 pm
That was almost 20 years ago.......it's a different deal now.

How so? 

Also, Sam Bradford came back, got hurt and was still a first round pick.  Did he not REALLY want to play in the NFL?

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 30, 2015, 07:57:54 pm
I can't ever remember seeing a blue chip type of player like Henry that was a Hog that stayed on for his senior season for the hell of it or for the education. I don't ever remember that happening.

Trey Flowers and Jonathan Williams?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

yraciv

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2015, 10:08:27 pm

Not quite in the same conversation. Both came back because they were receiving 3rd-5th round grades.  Henry would receive 2nd to 3rd round grades.

bphi11ips

Quote from: yraciv on November 30, 2015, 10:17:10 pm
Not quite in the same conversation. Both came back because they were receiving 3rd-5th round grades.  Henry would receive 2nd to 3rd round grades.

Pretty much the same conversation in my opinion.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 30, 2015, 10:02:33 pm
How so? 

Also, Sam Bradford came back, got hurt and was still a first round pick.  Did he not REALLY want to play in the NFL?

College football is far more of a business now than 20 years ago......plus other factors such as concussions.

You are grasping as straws naming a few top QBs that came back.....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 10:58:14 pm

College football is far more of a business now than 20 years ago......plus other factors such as concussions.

Henry will be back AND he will be drafted higher in the 2017 draft than he would be in the 2016 draft. You'll see.
@Slackaveli

supersaint

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 30, 2015, 11:03:12 pm
Henry will be back AND he will be drafted higher in the 2017 draft than he would be in the 2016 draft. You'll see.

I lie the way you talk.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 30, 2015, 10:08:27 pm

Neither were in the top 3 of their position like Henry nor were in consideration for the top 3 rounds either.

For the record, walter has Henry, Collins, and Tretola going in the second with Kirkland at the bottom of the third round.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 30, 2015, 11:03:12 pm

He'll have a high enough grade to get the insurance and come back if he wants.

Not sure he'd raise his draft position much though.

bennyl08

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 11:17:28 pm
He'll have a high enough grade to get the insurance and come back if he wants.

Not sure he'd raise his draft position much though.

Best he could do would be improve his blocking skills, some minor refinements to his route running. However, being better at blocking SEC defenders still leaves a large learning curve to blocking at the NFL level. So, him improving from a B to an A here in the SEC moves him from a C-- all the way up to a C- minus in the NFL's eyes.

So yeah, he really doesn't stand to gain anything. The only way he really improves his draft stock while here is if the crop of TE's is weaker next season or the demand for TE's is different next season and the first team that really wants Henry is higher up. He's already at the creamiest of the crop of TE's that anybody can reasonably expect to be and it doesn't make sense to wait a year in order for the draft order and draft needs to change when you are already at the top of your position.

The only reason for him to stay is that he loves the hogs and wants to embrace every last second. We don't often agree, but we do here.

Pig In The City

Hogdomer

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 10:58:14 pm

It's no more a business now than it was then and I don't see how that's relevant anyway.  You said if Henry does come back, he really doesn't want to play in the NFL.  That's asinine and two examples are all it takes to prove it.  For the record, I don't think he comes back.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 01, 2015, 08:43:28 am
It's no more a business now than it was then and I don't see how that's relevant anyway.  You said if Henry does come back, he really doesn't want to play in the NFL.  That's asinine and two examples are all it takes to prove it.  For the record, I don't think he comes back.

Bradford is more a poster boy for not coming back.......

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on December 01, 2015, 09:40:25 am

Bradford is assembled by God with tooth picks. He's a poster boy for injury prone and that's it

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 01, 2015, 09:45:23 am
Bradford is assembled by God with tooth picks. He's a poster boy for injury prone and that's it

its a rough game.

One bad hit is all it takes to end that dream.

RME

Agree. He was never the same after his shoulder injuries at OU. Granted, his awful knee injuries in the NFL may be completely unrelated, but still remains that he was never the same after his AC joint injury.

But to play Devil's Advocate...Andrew Luck.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 01, 2015, 09:51:22 am
Agree. He was never the same after his shoulder injuries at OU. Granted, his awful knee injuries in the NFL may be completely unrelated, but still remains that he was never the same after his AC joint injury.

But to play Devil's Advocate...Andrew Luck.

Please doctor, tell me how after damaging my AC joint and rehabbing it all of a sudden my knees won't hold up...

Hogdomer

Your point was coming back makes no sense for those who "really" want to play in the NFL.  Bradford came back, got hurt and sat the whole season and was still picked in the top ten of the first round.  In other words, he really wanted to play in the NFL and coming back for another year of college didn't hurt his draft position one bit.