Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike needs to hire new assistants

Started by HouseOfHam, November 27, 2015, 02:40:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HouseOfHam

Anderson is a good coach, but he needs top notch assistants that can recruit elite talent. If he doesn't overhaul his coaching staff then he won't be here in a few years.

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

hdturner

We have at least 3 players on this roster not SEC quality ca

Hawg Red

He needs to bring in a coach with serious AAU or prep ties. It's called "keeping up with the Joneses." He doesn't have to turn his staff upside down, but he does need to make an upgrade at one of those spots. The fact that he has had the same assistants for practically a decade proves that. He has no coaching tree. That's the sign of a content, stagnant staff that does not equate to consistently strong recruiting results.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

intelligence

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Karma on November 27, 2015, 03:52:37 pm
Is he related to any good assistants?
Isn't he related to Kim Anderson at Mizzou?
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

TomasPistola

Quote from: HouseOfHam on November 27, 2015, 02:40:15 pm
Anderson is a good coach, but he needs top notch assistants that can recruit elite talent. If he doesn't overhaul his coaching staff then he won't be here in a few years.

What is your proof that he's a good coach and that the assistants are the problem?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hogsanity

Will the assistants be able to teach Mike how to coach against a zone defense?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

intelligence

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 27, 2015, 03:59:00 pm
Isn't he related to Kim Anderson at Mizzou?

Not that it was your intent, but that could be interpreted as a very dubious statement with hidden meaning.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hdturner on November 27, 2015, 03:29:42 pm
This! But I am thinking they are not D1 caliber!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 27, 2015, 03:36:15 pm
He needs to bring in a coach with serious AAU or prep ties. It's called "keeping up with the Joneses." He doesn't have to turn his staff upside down, but he does need to make an upgrade at one of those spots. The fact that he has had the same assistants for practically a decade proves that. He has no coaching tree. That's the sign of a content, stagnant staff that does not equate to consistently strong recruiting results.
He should be forced to, and the hire should be approved by someone! I think it should be Watkins or Zimmerman IMO leaving!

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: TomasPistola on November 27, 2015, 05:05:23 pm
What is your proof that he's a good coach and that the assistants are the problem?

exactly

Danny J

Quote from: hdturner on November 27, 2015, 03:29:42 pm
This entire team is a hodgepodge of players like that.....we have maybe 5 guys total on this team that are legit SEC talent players and one of them is suspended. I would say Hannahs, Bell, Kingsley, Beard and Whitt but outside of that especially at the 4 and 5 spot we absolutely are lacking talent/depth. We have some guards coming in next year and no big fellas except for Cook who may not even be eligible.

I agree we need to go out and hire a top notch assistant with strong ties to AAU...that is a must. The way we are recruiting is not going to be good enough going forward. We MUST keep instate talent in state.

mizzouman

Not the assistants. I'm always going back to style of play. 4 and 5 star guys do want to play like that. So unless you are from Arkansas or a close friend or family member, you won't see many of these high caliber players.

That being said, MA can win with without them. But it will always be a roller coaster ride.

Danny J

Quote from: mizzouman on November 27, 2015, 06:06:43 pm
Not the assistants. I'm always going back to style of play. 4 and 5 star guys do want to play like that. So unless you are from Arkansas or a close friend or family member, you won't see many of these high caliber players.

That being said, MA can win with without them. But it will always be a roller coaster ride.
I think it has more to do with our coach wanting nothing to do with AAU than it is our style. I am not saying style doesn't play any factor because I think it may in some cases but if we are going to get the players needed to compete for final fours then we better wise up to the fact that AAU handlers and manipulators control most of the recruiting in regards to high caliber players.

nwahogfan1

Mike is an average coach and has average to bad assistant coaches who are average at recruiting.   He needs to hire a bench coach to help him make adjustments and a recruiting coach that brings in better players.  So he needs at least 2 coaches. 

What is the odds of that happening?   

RazorPiggie

Will never happen unless he has a family member or close friend that wants to become a coach.

hobhog

That phrase is the kiss of death. Next comes the AD saying "he has my full support"....

Danny J

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2015, 06:38:53 pm
That phrase is the kiss of death. Next comes the AD saying "he has my full support"....
Yep and throughout all of basketball and football I can't think of a situation where an AD or GM or owner has forced an assistant change upon a coach that has worked. It never works. You might as well start looking for a new coach at that point. Just have to hope CMA gets it figured out going forward.

Look...we all knew this would be a average to bad season. I can't think of anybody who didn't think so. We appear to have 3 guys signed thus far, who if eligible, will definitely start to show their impact by late January. It takes time for freshman or juco transfers not only to get a feel for the step up in competition but to get a feel for the way we play defense. It is very hard knowing when to trap, who to trap and as a 3rd/4th/5th defender when to rotate. That only comes with experience. So we are likely to be in for a slow start to next year as well.

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

3kgthog

How many other coaches have you seen with assistants that many of us would view as just their buddies or as relatives? That's how I see his entire staff. Just guys that'll stay with him until he retires. They'll never be a head coach (or at least not a good one). Look at Pelphrey. You view him as Billy D's buddy and and as an average coach, don't you? The same thing applies here to Mike's odd collection of guys.

Big Boi

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 28, 2015, 12:37:08 pm
How many other coaches have you seen with assistants that many of us would view as just their buddies or as relatives? That's how I see his entire staff. Just guys that'll stay with him until he retires. They'll never be a head coach (or at least not a good one). Look at Pelphrey. You view him as Billy D's buddy and and as an average coach, don't you? The same thing applies here to Mike's odd collection of guys.
Most assistance I see now days are either x-NBA, or relative of major recruit/recruits. 

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogwood

I too think Mike needs to upgrade his staff. Love the moves getting Thurman and Mayberry back here. Would be great to get Williamson and Johnson back in some capacity. I am not a fan of Watkins or Zimmerman and would like to see them replaced. I am a Big fan of TJ Cleveland and I think he deserves to stay. He's the only good recruiter we have.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on November 28, 2015, 01:54:16 pm
I too think Mike needs to upgrade his staff. Love the moves getting Thurman and Mayberry back here. Would be great to get Williamson and Johnson back in some capacity. I am not a fan of Watkins or Zimmerman and would like to see them replaced. I am a Big fan of TJ Cleveland and I think he deserves to stay. He's the only good recruiter we have.

Mike
TJ
Day
Corliss

Would that staff do better than what we have now?

cmiller01

mhuff

TJ needs to leave and be a head coach somewhere. However, I see it as all or none. MA will be here until forced to get some new assistants. Then , he will ride off into the sunset.

hogman99

Quote from: Danny J on November 27, 2015, 06:47:51 pm
Yep and throughout all of basketball and football I can't think of a situation where an AD or GM or owner has forced an assistant change upon a coach that has worked. It never works. You might as well start looking for a new coach at that point. Just have to hope CMA gets it figured out going forward.

Look...we all knew this would be a average to bad season. I can't think of anybody who didn't think so. We appear to have 3 guys signed thus far, who if eligible, will definitely start to show their impact by late January. It takes time for freshman or juco transfers not only to get a feel for the step up in competition but to get a feel for the way we play defense. It is very hard knowing when to trap, who to trap and as a 3rd/4th/5th defender when to rotate. That only comes with experience. So we are likely to be in for a slow start to next year as well.

I'm tired of people saying it will take the new guys months to learn this very simple offense and defense.

MountieDawg

IF the assistants are the problem then MA is the problem...  If the talent is the problem, MA is the problem... If its the offense, defense or rebounds, MA is the problem...  If its anything else blame Broyles, Heath and Pelphrey!
SEC!

HawgnCorona

Yep...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogman99

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 28, 2015, 05:56:53 pm
IF the assistants are the problem then MA is the problem...  If the talent is the problem, MA is the problem... If its the offense, defense or rebounds, MA is the problem...  If its anything else blame Broyles, Heath and Pelphrey!

Exactly

Nipsey Mussle

I support MA and whether his haters like it or not, he got our program out of a dark, dark place. That being said, you can't expect someone to end stubbornness with assistants and make those changes out of the threat that he may not potentially be here in a few years (which I think is accurately the extent to the warmth of his seat at this point).

I see a big need to shake up an asst or two, and stop pressing in times when it's only hurting us. MA won't make those adjustments until some major pressure applied to him, though (no pun intended).

Danny J

Quote from: hogman99 on November 28, 2015, 05:39:03 pm
I'm tired of people saying it will take the new guys months to learn this very simple offense and defense.
Our defense is not easy to learn...the motion offense isn't super hard but our pressure defense and trapping halfcourt man and zone is not easy to learn. It will take the new guys some time to adjust and not just because it is hard but it takes time to develop chemistry on defense and knowing that when you trap someone will rotate to the open man.

Danny J

Yep...that is what is going to have to happen if we want to get to final fours and compete consistently like we did from 89-96.

Smithian

Mike Anderson isn't going to shake up this staff.

Jeff Long isn't going to tell him to shake up the staff.

Some coaches have plenty of turnover in staff, some don't. Mike Anderson has had basically the same crew since day one at Missouri.

I'm a believer that in any sport when you start telling coaches to fire assistants or the coach himself decides to shoot for major turnover that is often when the nail is in the coffin.

root_hawg

TJ needs to leave a be a HC?!? ... Which jr. high school are you referring to?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: root_hawg on November 29, 2015, 01:50:40 pm
TJ needs to leave a be a HC?!? ... Which jr. high school are you referring to?
I lol-ed

razorcash2

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 27, 2015, 03:37:55 pm
He should hire Pelphrey and Heath

They might be upgrades...seriously.
Especially Pelphrey.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 30, 2015, 11:22:11 am
They might be upgrades...seriously.
Especially Pelphrey.

Heath for recruiting big men. Pelphrey, who recruited Mickelson and Abron as key bigs in his last class, not so much.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 28, 2015, 06:26:28 pm
I support MA and whether his haters like it or not, he got our program out of a dark, dark place. That being said, you can't expect someone to end stubbornness with assistants and make those changes out of the threat that he may not potentially be here in a few years (which I think is accurately the extent to the warmth of his seat at this point).

I see a big need to shake up an asst or two, and stop pressing in times when it's only hurting us. MA won't make those adjustments until some major pressure applied to him, though (no pun intended).

this is from a post in the football recruiting forum excusing our lack of recruiting a big time running back. the edits and emphasis are mine in response.

Quote from: sickboy on November 29, 2015, 01:20:30 pm
Recruiting isn't easy at Arkansas, for anyone. Still, we don't need to recruit top 5 running backs players. We've proved that with RWIII Qualls. We just need to get the guys that Bielema  CMA sees as a fit and they'll more than likely produce... he's proven that much.

two sets of expectations for CMA and CBB in recruiting.

hawginbigd1

Tom I respect your support of MA, I am beyond pissed at him and want my pound of flesh for the state of this roster! I still support him, but he needs to make changes! There is no double standard at work here, CBB is steadily improving our roster, MA had a very huge swing and miss this offseason, and he hasn't been wowing anyone before that in recruiting! That is the difference it is not some made up double standard! It is definitely not a race thing like a good handful of other JB posters want to imply!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 30, 2015, 01:45:37 pm
Tom I respect your support of MA, I am beyond pissed at him and want my pound of flesh for the state of this roster! I still support him, but he needs to make changes! There is no double standard at work here, CBB is steadily improving our roster, MA had a very huge swing and miss this offseason, and he hasn't been wowing anyone before that in recruiting! That is the difference it is not some made up double standard! It is definitely not a race thing like a good handful of other JB posters want to imply!

I support the Hogs. Not discussing race. Just pointing out the obvious. It's there if you want to see it. Guess that's why its obvious. Ignore it if you want. Not trying to convince you of anything.

DeltaBoy

Something got to be done. This continued stench that is drifting down from the Hill the past 20 years has gotten OLD! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wild Bill Hog

There will be no turnover of assistants unless someone leaves on his own.  Accept it.

hogman99

Quote from: Danny J on November 28, 2015, 08:25:40 pm
Our defense is not easy to learn...the motion offense isn't super hard but our pressure defense and trapping halfcourt man and zone is not easy to learn. It will take the new guys some time to adjust and not just because it is hard but it takes time to develop chemistry on defense and knowing that when you trap someone will rotate to the open man.

I have watch all the games since CMA came here and the defense is trapping on the first pass of the press. If no steal is made, they retreat except the guy bringing the ball up has token pressure. This scheme is made to burn time off the shot clock, which really does nothing in today's game as teams have adjusted over the past 10-15 years to counter that.  The half court defense consist of switching on screens and running at open 3 point shooters and no blocking out on shots. I have yet to see hedging on screens or correct rotating as we have our guards covering their bigs on numerous occasions as well as giving up open 3's.

I would encourage you to watch the next few games and see if the above is true. With better talent you can overcome some of this scheme. Even in our 27 wins last year we gave up open layouts and open 3's.

Letsroll1200

Tom I respect your support of MA, I am beyond pissed at him and want my pound of flesh for the state of this roster! I still support him, but he needs to make changes! There is no double standard at work here, CBB is steadily improving our roster, MA had a very huge swing and miss this offseason,
[/quote

You haven't seen the state of the running back and linebacker positions.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 30, 2015, 09:56:09 pm
Tom I respect your support of MA, I am beyond pissed at him and want my pound of flesh for the state of this roster! I still support him, but he needs to make changes! There is no double standard at work here, CBB is steadily improving our roster, MA had a very huge swing and miss this offseason,
[/quote

You haven't seen the state of the running back and linebacker positions.
Yep all because of injury and attrition! The whole of the roster is getting better with each class.

HogsonHicks