Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missouri cross-division rivalry

Started by hogfan0505, November 24, 2012, 09:22:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan0505

Does anyone know when this will take effect? I thought it begins in 2013, but we still have South Carolina on our schedule

Mrcoolhog55

I think it will begin in 2014, but I really not for sure. I do know that South Carolina next year will be the last game, so 2014 sounds about right. I hope I have answered your question.... Go Hogs Go.... Hopefully the Hogs will get a real good head football coach.....

JBoroHog

Probably start in 2014. The SEC diecided to use another "bridge" schedule in 2013 as they did in 2012.

Most likely 2014 is when A &M will start getting the LSU Thanksgiving TV game; and we will be stuck playing a game against Missouri that no one in the country cares about, including in Arkansas. Might as well move that one back to LR. Who wants to go to Fayetteville Thanksgiving weekend to see us play Missouri High School.

Oh, and in the 2013 bridge schedule, the ole SEC, in their quest to always throw the Hogs a little love, gave us Florida as our cross-division rival. Ya gotta love their sense of humor and shameless favoritism.

uagrad98

If the SEC adds 2 more teams in the East, then Mizz might move to the West, yes?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: uagrad98 on November 24, 2012, 10:01:10 am
If the SEC adds 2 more teams in the East, then Mizz might move to the West, yes?

This is what I am thinking.  After the SEC adds Virginia Tech and NC State, someone will have to move to the West.  That school would have to be Mizzou.

As it stands, we start the series with Mizzou in 2014.

porkaholics anonymous

Quote from: JBoroHog on November 24, 2012, 09:48:23 am
Probably start in 2014. The SEC diecided to use another "bridge" schedule in 2013 as they did in 2012.

Most likely 2014 is when A &M will start getting the LSU Thanksgiving TV game; and we will be stuck playing a game against Missouri that no one in the country cares about, including in Arkansas. Might as well move that one back to LR. Who wants to go to Fayetteville Thanksgiving weekend to see us play Missouri High School.

Oh, and in the 2013 bridge schedule, the ole SEC, in their quest to always throw the Hogs a little love, gave us Florida as our cross-division rival. Ya gotta love their sense of humor and shameless favoritism.

Is the A&M - LSU Thanksgiving game for sure?

56Hog

Quote from: porkaholics anonymous on November 24, 2012, 05:33:38 pm
Is the A&M - LSU Thanksgiving game for sure?

Very likely.  but Arkansas will get something important in return for moving the LSU game off Black Friday:  Alabama is being moved back off the first SEC game in Sept.

And once that happens not having to face LSU and the SECCG back to back will also be important.  ESPN will end up picking up the UA-MU series likely on Friday night.  I see lots of cold nights in Fayetteville & Columbia in the future.

I agree the "bridge" schedules are a stall until they can finalize the new TV deal and finish expansion to 16 teams.  Mizzou will shift west and there will almost certainly be a nine game conference schedule (7-1-1) and we may well get USC or NC State as the new permanent east rival.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

porkaholics anonymous

Quote from: 56Hog on November 24, 2012, 06:14:44 pm
Very likely.  but Arkansas will get something important in return for moving the LSU game off Black Friday:  Alabama is being moved back off the first SEC game in Sept.

And once that happens not having to face LSU and the SECCG back to back will also be important.  ESPN will end up picking up the UA-MU series likely on Friday night.  I see lots of cold nights in Fayetteville & Columbia in the future.

I agree the "bridge" schedules are a stall until they can finalize the new TV deal and finish expansion to 16 teams.  Mizzou will shift west and there will almost certainly be a nine game conference schedule (7-1-1) and we may well get USC or NC State as the new permanent east rival.

I have an  Aggie friend and he told me that A&M will continue to play the Hogs in Dallas indefinitely as a trade off.  Not sure if true...

Snouty

Hard to have a cross division rival when you don't play them.

56Hog

Quote from: porkaholics anonymous on November 25, 2012, 12:37:38 am
I have an  Aggie friend and he told me that A&M will continue to play the Hogs in Dallas indefinitely as a trade off.  Not sure if true...

Yup, I could see that.  Its more valuable to Arkansas than to A&M.  If the 9 game schedule both will need a neutral site game anyway.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The Mizzou game won't get scheduled until they're a top 15 team. 
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

mizzouman

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 25, 2012, 09:21:54 pm
The Mizzou game won't get scheduled until they're a top 15 team. 
We may get there before Arkansas does.  Had to say it, I couldn't resist.

VBMark

Quote from: porkaholics anonymous on November 25, 2012, 12:37:38 am

This is what I thought it was when it happened.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on November 25, 2012, 09:26:04 pm

Pinkel might be fired by the time we play you.

Between drinking jumbos and driving, having a fling with a 27 year old, and finishing 5-7, I'm not sure how much capital he has left to spend.

WildHawg

Does anyone really think its worth it to lose the Black Friday LSU game in exchange of Bama to start out mudererous slate of midseason games (that would group Bama, LSU and one of of next toughest games together) and getting A&M in Dallas?

Sure, those may be a couple of small positives but switching LSU to Mizzou seems like we are put on a 2nd tier shelf.

HogMama0604

Quote from: mizzouman on November 25, 2012, 09:26:04 pm

And how many times have we been on that list in the past 5 years? How many have you?

56Hog

Quote from: WildHawg on November 25, 2012, 10:11:26 pm
Does anyone really think its worth it to lose the Black Friday LSU game in exchange of Bama to start out mudererous slate of midseason games (that would group Bama, LSU and one of of next toughest games together) and getting A&M in Dallas?

Sure, those may be a couple of small positives but switching LSU to Mizzou seems like we are put on a 2nd tier shelf.

While the time slot is extremely valuable, CBS usually under promotes the game and usually assigns their 2nd team (Brando-Beuerlein).  Given the heated history of the BB series, ESPN will jump on a Friday night grudge match between Arkansas and Mizzou.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 56Hog on November 26, 2012, 01:45:03 pm
While the time slot is extremely valuable, CBS usually under promotes the game and usually assigns their 2nd team (Brando-Beuerlein).  Given the heated history of the BB series, ESPN will jump on a Friday night grudge match between Arkansas and Mizzou.

Yeah, and we got like Don Cricqui, Bolderjack, etc. before that.  Really crappy announcers.

Pigsknuckles

We are not rivals. Did someone tell you we were? We have merely been scheduled as cross divisional opponents, and have yet to play a regular season game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I don't even care who we play, and honestly the time slot is diluted now anyways.  All the other conferences now play games at the same time or kick off an hour earlier to get a jump. 

Black Friday shopping is more popular to do during that early afternoon time frame now as well.  Friday night in primetime would be the time slot to have.  You don't want to be playing on Sat. head to head against the longer more traditional rivalry games.

Kansas and Mizzou are both punks for giving up their rivalry game.  They could have played it OOC and made it work.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Murr

Best time to play it when millions of Americans are stuck at relatives' houses and need a distraction.  I'm surprised the SEC isn't thinking about putting a second game on friday.
Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 27, 2012, 01:42:04 am
I don't even care who we play, and honestly the time slot is diluted now anyways.  All the other conferences now play games at the same time or kick off an hour earlier to get a jump. 

Black Friday shopping is more popular to do during that early afternoon time frame now as well.  Friday night in primetime would be the time slot to have.  You don't want to be playing on Sat. head to head against the longer more traditional rivalry games.

Kansas and Mizzou are both punks for giving up their rivalry game.  They could have played it OOC and made it work.

popcornhog

Quote from: JBoroHog on November 24, 2012, 09:48:23 am

I thought SC was remaining our cross-division rival next year?

You mean UF is simply the other cross divisional game?
WPS