Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The foundation is set...now let's see if these new coaches

Started by The OTR, January 10, 2018, 07:01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

Can take us to the next level.

CBB got the ship righted after Petrino and Smith left the program in shambles.  Now it's time to see if Morris can take us to that next level.

Looks like we have a pretty good staff but we lost some pretty good coaches as well.  These guys seem serious but I'm not ready to declare that our coaching staff is comparable to some we have had here recently.  Chavis at the very least seems to be an upgrade as defensive coordinator.  I believe he will do pretty well here. 

Looking forward to hearing about spring practice.  These guys have their work cut out for them.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 10, 2018, 07:01:20 pm

Looking forward to hearing about spring practice.  These guys have their work cut out for them.

Reports from spring camp are the best.

Johnny Bobo

John Chavis is the best defensive coordinator in America

The best!

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 10, 2018, 07:08:39 pm

I hope CBB attends the spring scrimmages at DRRS - I'd like to sit by him and hear the specifics on what batons he handed to the CCM staff and how fast the new regime is taking off out of the exchange

The OTR

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on January 10, 2018, 07:29:04 pm
I hope CBB attends the spring scrimmages at DRRS - I'd like to sit by him and hear the specifics on what batons he handed to the CCM staff and how fast the new regime is taking off out of the exchange

He probably will.  This is still his baby for a few years.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 10, 2018, 07:01:20 pm
Can take us to the next level.

CBB got the ship righted after Petrino and Smith left the program in shambles.  Now it's time to see if Morris can take us to that next level.

Looks like we have a pretty good staff but we lost some pretty good coaches as well.  These guys seem serious but I'm not ready to declare that our coaching staff is comparable to some we have had here recently.  Chavis at the very least seems to be an upgrade as defensive coordinator.  I believe he will do pretty well here. 

We're way worse off now than when petrino left

Hawg Life

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 10, 2018, 07:33:57 pm

No, we aren't and it's not even close. We had 13 transfers and lost a year of recruiting. Now we have so much retention we can't sign a full class. We do lack game speed, but I think that can be fixed.

Busta_Nutt

Wouldn't say we're worse off, but BB's first season had great talent on both sides of the ball. 3-9 should have been a red flag.

The OTR

Most here underestimate how good of shape CBB left us in for next year. 

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 10, 2018, 07:57:36 pm

I think the change of Offense will play right into CM's hand.

Hawginj

EastexHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 10, 2018, 07:08:39 pm

Nothing but beasts on defense...and did I mention they always "look the part"?  You gotta especially love the pictures of guys all pumped up in the weight room.  Luckily players on other teams don't also work out.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hawginj on January 10, 2018, 08:02:34 pm
Completely agree

There is speed there, but it hasn't been utilized.....I think that CM is going to be pleasantly surprised when practice starts.  I also think that new players coming in with a wide open show will force these existing players to either step it up or bow out.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Talent and experience wise the Hogs are in pretty good shape but saying CBB righted the ship after Smiley is pure unadulterated POPPYCOCK. The Hogs just finished 4-8 which is comparable to Smiley's year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rtr

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 09:02:00 pm
Talent and experience wise the Hogs are in pretty good shape but saying CBB righted the ship after Smiley is pure unadulterated POPPYCOCK. The Hogs just finished 4-8 which is comparable to Smiley's year.
I think Skandar is trolling again, not as good as last nights troll though.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jgphillips3

I know.  Our recruiting classes have been mid-20's consistently and they are obviously all still here.  Lots of talent.  A few positions are deficient and low quality depth in some places but we have a solid base to build on.  What's funny is people also overestimate how bad what CBB inherited was.  He inherited some great D-line players and an overall quality team.  It was the morale, not the talent, that was bad.  The one who inherited nothing was Petrino.

Captain Hamerica

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 10, 2018, 07:38:30 pm
No, we aren't and it's not even close. We had 13 transfers and lost a year of recruiting. Now we have so much retention we can't sign a full class. We do lack game speed, but I think that can be fixed.
You couldn't be more wrong.  CBB took over a loaded team, very talented with lots of NFL draft picks, look at the numbers for yourself.  Do you research and it will be more clear to you

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on January 10, 2018, 07:13:49 pm
John Chavis is the best defensive coordinator in America

The best!
straight up hall of famer with the best resume of any dc.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 10, 2018, 09:06:38 pm
Our recruiting classes have been mid-20's consistently and they are obviously all still here.  Lots of talent.

These statements don't go together.

go hogues

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 10, 2018, 08:10:54 pm
Nothing but beasts on defense...and did I mention they always "look the part"?  You gotta especially love the pictures of guys all pumped up in the weight room.  Luckily players on other teams don't also work out.
Beat me to it.

We literally hear every offseason: "Randy, this will be the best Hogs defense since the Atwater days!"
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Razorbackers

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 11, 2018, 12:00:19 am
These statements don't go together.

Consistently getting mid-twenties recruiting rankings should translate to consistently being ranked in the top twenty-five at the end of the season.  Not happening ---- something is amiss.

sowmonella

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 09:00:40 am
Consistently getting mid-twenties recruiting rankings should translate to consistently being ranked in the top twenty-five at the end of the season.  Not happening ---- something is amiss.

Having an average of 6 opponents per season that have higher recruiting rankings have a big effect on wins/losses/rankings.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

oldhawg

Quote from: sowmonella on January 11, 2018, 09:09:09 am
Having an average of 6 opponents per season that have higher recruiting rankings have a big effect on wins/losses/rankings.

I can see that when we talk about opponents with consistently top ten rankings in recruiting, some of whom the Razorbacks should still beat sometimes.

But really, how much difference is there between a team ranked 25 in recruiting, and a team ranked 18 in recruiting?  Arkansas should win their fare share of those games.  Having six teams with higher recruiting rankings should not automatically translate to six losses, unless all six of those teams have top ten recruiting class frequently.  Even then, a win now and then should occur.

An Arkansas team with only three or four losses (close losses) against top ten teams should be ranked in the top twenty-five.

Diverse opinions still the norm while everyone looking at the exact same thing.  Could be totally wrong but I suspect Bret won't be watching practice and not likely go to the games.  I suggest this would be 2 fold.  Out of respect for the new staff and I really don't believe he cares enough about the situation he no longer is associated with to bother himself.

He offered his assistance early on and I am not sure if the new folks took advantage of his offer, but I doubt they did.  I remember he tweeted about being wrong about the HUNH or something close to that and offered himself to assist in the changeover any way he could.  It was a nice gesture and most new staffs would have politely not taken advantage of it.  It would be like having the old boyfriend around to assist in helping his old girlfriend settle in with the new boyfriend.  Likely more problems than value.

Skandar is the best at trolling.  Getting a darn storm brewing is his best attribute.  Either he knows his opening statement is just wrong or he doesn't know anything about football. leadership, and talent.

oldhawg

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2018, 09:27:24 am
Diverse opinions still the norm while everyone looking at the exact same thing.  Could be totally wrong but I suspect Bret won't be watching practice and not likely go to the games.  I suggest this would be 2 fold.  Out of respect for the new staff and I really don't believe he cares enough about the situation he no longer is associated with to bother himself.

He offered his assistance early on and I am not sure if the new folks took advantage of his offer, but I doubt they did.  I remember he tweeted about being wrong about the HUNH or something close to that and offered himself to assist in the changeover any way he could.  It was a nice gesture and most new staffs would have politely not taken advantage of it.  It would be like having the old boyfriend around to assist in helping his old girlfriend settle in with the new boyfriend.  Likely more problems than value.

Skandar is the best at trolling.  Getting a darn storm brewing is his best attribute.  Either he knows his opening statement is just wrong or he doesn't know anything about football. leadership, and talent.

So you are saying we have been skandarized?

Freebrd

Taken from part of a post:   "CBB got the ship righted after Petrino and Smith left the program in shambles."
For Petrino bashers: 2008 5-7 (2-6), 2009 8-5 (3-5), 2010 10-3 (6-2), 2011 11-2(6-2); you say he left the program in shambles with a 2012 pre-season ranking of 10. With returning Trey Flowers, Knile Davis, Cobi Hamilton, Kiero Small, Travis Swanson, Tyler Wilson and Chris Gragg.  BTW, he had freshman in 2012 coming in of Brandon Allen, Deatrich Wise, Jonathon Williams, Sebastian Tretola and JaMichael Winston.  John L had those players and went 4-8 (2-6).  And that is the rest of the story!

LRrazorback

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

EastexHawg

Quote from: Freebrd on January 11, 2018, 09:33:05 am
Taken from part of a post:   "CBB got the ship righted after Petrino and Smith left the program in shambles."
For Petrino bashers: 2008 5-7 (2-6), 2009 8-5 (3-5), 2010 10-3 (6-2), 2011 11-2(6-2); you say he left the program in shambles with a 2012 pre-season ranking of 10. With returning Trey Flowers, Knile Davis, Cobi Hamilton, Kiero Small, Travis Swanson, Tyler Wilson and Chris Gragg.  BTW, he had freshman in 2012 coming in of Brandon Allen, Deatrich Wise, Jonathon Williams, Sebastian Tretola and JaMichael Winston.  John L had those players and went 4-8 (2-6).  And that is the rest of the story!

You left out Chris Smith, Darius Philon, and Robert Thomas.  Those are three more NFL defensive linemen to go with Trey Flowers and Deatrich Wise.  Of course you also could have mentioned an All-SEC QB, Tyler Wilson...along with Cobi Hamilton, Dennis Johnson, Alvin Bailey, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Keon Hatcher, Jeremy Sprinkle, Tevin Mitchel, Rohan Gaines, Taiwan Johnson, Zach Hocker, Otha Peters...

Yeah, Petrino left a dumpster fire behind.

HogPharmer

Akin to the way Obama set up Trump's success
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 09:02:00 pm

My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Grag T on January 11, 2018, 09:47:01 am
This thread is SKANDalous  ;D

$5.00 says Ackbar is gonna change his name to Skanarlous now...

Razorbackers

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Please explain.
Can't wait to hear how this

Well we didn't just have an interim for a year.

And our last coach wasn't fired in April unexpectedly forcing us to hire an interim.

I literally shouldn't have to say anything else.

East TN HAWG

About the same wen Petrino left; however, massive improvement from where Smiley left. 

LRrazorback

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 11, 2018, 10:18:34 am
Well we didn't just have an interim for a year.

And our last coach wasn't fired in April unexpectedly forcing us to hire an interim.

I literally shouldn't have to say anything else.

Let me explain hiring and firing.
The vast majority of cfb coaches are fired because they don't win, CBB for example. But some coaches are fired because of decisions they've made, CBP for example. In this case, CBB was set up with a very talented roster that was used to winning, in fact so talented his backup defensive end is starting for the world champs, D. Wise.
The situations the coaches are coming into the program are totally different. Any coach would rather take over a new team where the coach was forced out due to his bad off the field decision making but won at a high rate vs the team where the coach who wasn't a good recruiter or developer of the players and the team wasn't very successful 

East TN HAWG

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 10:43:46 am
In this case, CBB was set up with a very talented roster that was used to winning, in fact so talented his backup defensive end is starting for the world champs, D. Wise.
You forget the year between CBP and Smiley.  We hired Smiley because we thought we could win a championship with the team we had.  Smiley ran it into the ground quickly, and all those Seniors graduated: QB, Wr's, etc.   

CBB inherited a fire storm. The culture everything tanked when CBP left.  CBB lost a lot of games, but we are not the same dumpster fire we were when he took over. 

LRrazorback

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 11, 2018, 11:02:26 am
You forget the year between CBP and Smiley.  We hired Smiley because we thought we could win a championship with the team we had.  Smiley ran it into the ground quickly, and all those Seniors graduated: QB, Wr's, etc.   

CBB inherited a fire storm. The culture everything tanked when CBP left.  CBB lost a lot of games, but we are not the same dumpster fire we were when he took over. 

I get what you're saying but, smile didn't run it into the ground, he just didn't continue the fear discipline mentality.  Look at the draft picks once CBB arrived and you'll see how talented the team was.

Razorbackers

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 10:43:46 am
Let me explain hiring and firing.

Let me just stop you there. Because I know where you're going and it's a dumb place full of either revisionism and/or ignoring circumstances.

A huge, HUGE chunk of what would have made up the upper classmen for Bielema in the 2015 season, his best season, were not there due to transfers, academics, or off the field issues. How huge of a chunk? Of the 33 kids that Petrio had committed in the 2011 class...SEVEN were still on the roster in 2015.

Of The 2012 class was smaller with only 24 commits...and only SEVEN of them were on that team. Now, those 14 players definitely contributed. But that does not make a strong base for a team. These are facts that you can't run away from or snark your way out of.

There was this campus rush article about Bielma's heavy task of fixing the toxic culture of a Petrino locker room. (https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/27/how-bret-bielema-reinvented-football-culture-arkansas) Check out the stuff Chris Ash talks about. The culture at Arkansas was a culture of "fear of eligibility" and having no support system in place. "Bret took over a train wreck. I don't think anyone truly understands the social issues, the academic issues, the things he walked into." They said the same thing at Louisville after he left the first time. BP is a POS, he rules by fear, and once the source of fear was gone, those kids went crazy. Either got arrested, stopped going to class, or just left.

Bielema is leaving Morris with a stocked pantry. No mass transfers. No academic issues. A healthy environment in which to build a new system. You were right about one thing: the situations the coaches are waling into a totally different. Everything else you said was completely wrong, even the thing about Wise being a backup end whenever he was TEAM CAPTAIN, played in ALL 13 GAMES, AND STARTED 8 OF THEM.

RME

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 11, 2018, 11:09:43 am
Let me just stop you there. Because I know where you're going and it's a dumb place full of either revisionism and/or ignoring circumstances.

A huge, HUGE chunk of what would have made up the upper classmen for Bielema in the 2015 season, his best season, were not there due to transfers, academics, or off the field issues. How huge of a chunk? Of the 33 kids that Petrio had committed in the 2011 class...SEVEN were still on the roster in 2015.

Of The 2012 class was smaller with only 24 commits...and only SEVEN of them were on that team. Now, those 14 players definitely contributed. But that does not make a strong base for a team. These are facts that you can't run away from or snark your way out of.

There was this campus rush article about Bielma's heavy task of fixing the toxic culture of a Petrino locker room. (https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/27/how-bret-bielema-reinvented-football-culture-arkansas) Check out the stuff Chris Ash talks about. The culture at Arkansas was a culture of "fear of eligibility" and having no support system in place. "Bret took over a train wreck. I don't think anyone truly understands the social issues, the academic issues, the things he walked into." They said the same thing at Louisville after he left the first time. BP is a POS, he rules by fear, and once the source of fear was gone, those kids went crazy. Either got arrested, stopped going to class, or just left.

Bielema is leaving Morris with a stocked pantry. No mass transfers. No academic issues. A healthy environment in which to build a new system. You were right about one thing: the situations the coaches are waling into a totally different. Everything else you said was completely wrong, even the thing about Wise being a backup end whenever he was TEAM CAPTAIN, played in ALL 13 GAMES, AND STARTED 8 OF THEM.

This is good.

LRrazorback

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 11, 2018, 11:02:26 am

Also it's yet to be seen whether CCM has inherited any NFL draft picks, I'm sure some on the roster will be drafted starting next year but, I can assure you he won't have as many playing for him as CBB had from CBP and Smiley.

Razorbackers

LRrazorback

No, on CBB first team in 2013 D.Wise backed up Chris Smith and Trey Flowers. My point -is to make a point of the talent on the roster when CBB took over vs the talent now.  And if you don't believe me look at inherited draft picks. In fact, I'll go so far to say, CBB inherited the most talented Arkansas team ever.  He was setup to win out of the gate.
As far as the comments from Chris Ash, what's he going to say, he's a coach under the head coach so it's about what I would expect. If players are eligible then I wouldn't consider them as having academic problems. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 11, 2018, 11:30:35 am
My point -is to make a point of the talent on the roster when CBB took over vs the talent now.  And if you don't believe me look at inherited draft picks. In fact, I'll go so far to say, CBB inherited the most talented Arkansas team ever.  He was setup to win out of the gate.

You think....that the 2013 Arkansas Razorbacks...were the most talented team ever?

You're really doubling down on this, huh?

LRrazorback

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 11, 2018, 11:42:34 am
You think....that the 2013 Arkansas Razorbacks...were the most talented team ever?

Ha CBB inherited the most talented team, as a new coach. Play dumb when you're losing an argument

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 11, 2018, 11:42:34 am

well he isnt wrong that it had a BUNCH of nfl players. And you arent wrong that the depth wasnt there.

And Im not wrong to say Petrino had the guys he needed to win , b/c he only needs a few stars to win, when he was fired. The Clown took over a top 10 team.  But a guy like Bert needs every position strong to have a chance to win. In the end, Petrino was a POS program builder but a fabulous game day coach. And Bert is a decent program builder but a terrible developer and a total darn storm on Gameday.

So, to settle the score, I'd say Smiley inherited the second best roster for a new coach in modern Hog history (#1 goes to Nutt's first season) , but Smiley pretty much left Bert with a few pros and a ton of problems.

As for Morris, he inherits almost 30 4*s , very few academic problems, a full (but underdeveloped) roster, and the VERY best facility situation of any Hog coach ever. I expect
Morris will come out of the gate winning at LEAST 8 games.

WPS
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The OTR

Yep. That's what I was trying to say, albeit not as well as you just did.

CBB left this program in awfully good shape on all levels.  Morris is falling into an almost perfect situation to succeed.  We did slightly underachieve last year but CBB poured the slab on this program and for that we need to be forever thankful.  Only a man like him could have righted so many wrongs after Petrino and Smith.  Now we will see if these new guys have the same mettle, determination, and intestinal fortitude that CBB and his staff had to take us to the next level.  If these guys work hard we can win at least 7 next year due to the schedule we have. Possibly 8.  CBB could have done that well himself so if they DON'T do that well it's all on Morris and the fabled good old boys network.