Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do we bash Welsh after a good game?

Started by daprospecta, February 05, 2009, 01:20:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

February 05, 2009, 01:20:58 pm Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:26:14 pm by daprospecta
Welsh actually played above average last night and I see alot of fans bashing him but Clarke shoots 0-27 and we say give him time. Come on fans that's not fair.........nobody mentioned he scored 20+ points last night...just don't think he should be the scapegoat.

Kevin

i thought last night he played as well as he can.

i just start yelling when he dribbles more than twice
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

Welsh played balls to the wall last night. He's an aggressive player, but with only three reliable scoring options on the floor, we need Welsh to remain aggressive.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: daprospecta on February 05, 2009, 01:20:58 pm
Welsh actually played above average last night and I see alot of fans bashing him but Clarke shoots 0-27 and we say give him time. Come on fans that's not fair.........nobody mentioned he scored 20+ points last night...just don't think he should be the scapegoat.

I think it's ridiculous to pick on any one player on this team.  Nobody is consistent with their scoring except for maybe Washington...and his defense could improve.  Then again, so could the entire team's defense.

hawgsav1

I don't see why people are getting after him for taking the last shot.  Yeah I think the ball should have been passed into Fortson, but Henry passed it into Welsh first.  I'm not sure Welsh would have had the time to dribble down the court, pass to Fortson and give Fortson the time to drive to the hoop.  Plus the crosscourt pass was covered by a Vol. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HawgAdvocate

February 05, 2009, 01:40:53 pm #5 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:42:28 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 05, 2009, 01:36:36 pm
I don't see why people are getting after him for taking the last shot.  Yeah I think the ball should have been passed into Fortson, but Henry passed it into Welsh first.  I'm not sure Welsh would have had the time to dribble down the court, pass to Fortson and give Fortson the time to drive to the hoop.  Plus the crosscourt pass was covered by a Vol. 

Plus, no one is taking into account that Fortson would most likely have been fouled and put on the line if he had gotten the ball. Anything other than letting him get to the lane.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 01:40:53 pm
Plus, no one is taking into account that Fortson would most likely have been fouled and put on the line if he had gotten the ball. Anything other than letting him get to the lane.

Very good point. 

NeilieN

I have no problems or qualms about Welsh taking that last shot.  He made a good drive and it simply did not fall.  If Clarke had made just one open shot last night we would have won.

Franchise Hawgs

Welsh takes a lot of criticism because he is a junior and a supposed to be the leader of the team. He played well and scored nicely and was the reason we were in it, but he also in the last eight minutes made several stupid turnovers that a junior shouldn't make and failed to get back after missing a quick three. Welsh it seems for everything good he does he makes stupid mistake that cancels that out. He is to streaky to be depended on and Clarke is still a freshman therefore deserves more leeway than a three year player.

If Clarke scores anything, if Welsh doesn't go crazy a few times late, if anyone hit their FTs, if Sanchez plays a bit better, if Henry was just a bit more seasoned, and if Washington could block a shot or 2 more without fouling, we win last night.  None of that happened.  cCarke needs to either score of be seated, freshman or not.  O fer is not OK for Clarke.  He has had 3 or 4 of those so far this season.  In reality, Washington, Fortson,and Welsh played enough to win last night with any other real help.  Henry did OK too, based on his situation.  Sanchez and Clarke are libalities more often than not recently.  Go to the bench and let some other kids go O fer and fail to rebound, block out and defend.  Hell, anyone can fail to perform.  Dress out a couple of the Pom Pom girls.  I don't expect much, just a little here and there from the non performers. 

farmhawg

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on February 05, 2009, 01:58:07 pm
Welsh takes a lot of criticism because he is a junior and a supposed to be the leader of the team. He played well and scored nicely and was the reason we were in it, but he also in the last eight minutes made several stupid turnovers that a junior shouldn't make and failed to get back after missing a quick three. Welsh it seems for everything good he does he makes stupid mistake that cancels that out. He is to streaky to be depended on and Clarke is still a freshman therefore deserves more leeway than a three year player.
That and he is not a team player. He seems to always have a negative attitude.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tick Hog

Quote from: 12247 on February 05, 2009, 09:28:35 pm
If Clarke scores anything, if Welsh doesn't go crazy a few times late, if anyone hit their FTs, if Sanchez plays a bit better, if Henry was just a bit more seasoned, and if Washington could block a shot or 2 more without fouling, we win last night.  None of that happened.  cCarke needs to either score of be seated, freshman or not.  O fer is not OK for Clarke.  He has had 3 or 4 of those so far this season.  In reality, Washington, Fortson,and Welsh played enough to win last night with any other real help.  Henry did OK too, based on his situation.  Sanchez and Clarke are libalities more often than not recently.  Go to the bench and let some other kids go O fer and fail to rebound, block out and defend.  Hell, anyone can fail to perform.  Dress out a couple of the Pom Pom girls.  I don't expect much, just a little here and there from the non performers. 
neither are good enough to compete in sec play night in and out there off the bench players at best but there what we have this year so i will give them all my support as long as they play hard.

hoggin25

In some people's eyes here, Rotnei Clarke is to Jesus, as Stefan Welsh is to anti-Christ. If Welsh played how Clarke did last night, there would be hell raised.  I just think it is sad that some of the fanbase looks so badly upon Stefan.  He is playing his heart out and barely missed a last second shot. He had an outstanding game.
WPS

ChicoHog

I think Welsh played very well last night. clarke is not playing poorly, he is just the victim of the opponent not letting him get open and our offense is not designed for his strengths.  He needs to be in a motion offense with lots of off the ball screens and we don't run much of those. We do some for shots in the corner but the defense has done a good job not letting him get open looks.  then of course he has missed most of the few he has had except for the bama game. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: farmhawg on February 05, 2009, 11:05:37 pm
That and he is not a team player. He seems to always have a negative attitude.

What negative attitude?  He always gives props to his teammates when they score.  Despite what people say, he DOES pass to Rotnei Clarke, and out of everyone on that team, he took it the hardest that we lost.  Did you not see him almost tearing up last night on the floor after the game?

hei5manhog

Welsh is the reason we were as close as we were
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

TDHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 06, 2009, 01:15:35 am
What negative attitude?  He always gives props to his teammates when they score.  Despite what people say, he DOES pass to Rotnei Clarke, and out of everyone on that team, he took it the hardest that we lost.  Did you not see him almost tearing up last night on the floor after the game?

When he made the pass to Britt that Britt couldn't handle, he went down court mouthing and shaking his head like I have seen from hundreds of pick up players that never make a mistake an it is always on someone else.  That didn't look like he was picking up his team to me.   I do expect more out of him, he is a junior.  I do expect him to know not to run down the court and jack a 3 during a critical possesion wihthout as much as 1 pass.  I do expect him to limit stupid tornovers.  Yes he scored and I am glad, but he is not the upperclass leader we need.

dennab

February 06, 2009, 07:19:22 am #17 Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:20:58 am by dennab
Fact is, there is an agenda on here from many against Welsh and for Clarke, when we should be for everyone.

Calihog

Welsh plays hard and wants to win BAD... I don't think any of these kids take it harder than he does when they lose.  He and Fortson played with heart and kept us in it.  Welsh shot well and in the final possessions Courtney was unstoppable.  I haven't felt that bad after a loss in a long time, because we were in a position to win the game if we just hit free throws.  But we are severely undermanned inside and Tennessee completely exploited it to win the game.

razorbackfan

Without Welsh we would have been blown out at home again. Rotnei is going to have to step up fast or stay on the bench. He's not hitting anything, and he was open more than a few times, heck one shot hit the side of the backboard. He is a liability on defense! I love the way Jason Henry played, he was all over the place. Someone has got to step up at the 4, i know we cant expect any Offense from Sanchez, but surely Pel can get the guy to grab some boards...

Niels Boar

The main correctable reason we lost was because Sanchez, Fortson, and Washington went 7 of 15 from the line.  Fortson and Washington left 4 critical points at the charity stripe in the last few minutes, though we would have gotten blown out in the second half without their, otherwise, sterling efforts.  Welsh had an effective FG% of 71% in the game, kind of hard to fault his shot selection in this one.  He had too many TOs (5), but he also had 3 steals and 3 assists.  It's depressing that we lost with Welsh, Fortson, and Washington playing as well as they did.  In any case, at this point Welsh could walk on water, and somebody would complain that he doesn't know how to swim.

arkansasmaniac

Your reasoning is correct.
We have fair-weather fans.
Nothing can cure this.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dennab on February 06, 2009, 07:19:22 am
Fact is, there is an agenda on here from many against Welsh and for Clarke, when we should be for everyone.
Quote from: Niels Boar on February 06, 2009, 01:41:43 pm
In any case, at this point Welsh could walk on water, and somebody would complain that he doesn't know how to swim.

120% correct. Shame on you haters out there.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 06, 2009, 01:41:43 pm
The main correctable reason we lost was because Sanchez, Fortson, and Washington went 7 of 15 from the line.  Fortson and Washington left 4 critical points at the charity stripe in the last few minutes, though we would have gotten blown out in the second half without their, otherwise, sterling efforts.  Welsh had an effective FG% of 71% in the game, kind of hard to fault his shot selection in this one.  He had too many TOs (5), but he also had 3 steals and 3 assists.  It's depressing that we lost with Welsh, Fortson, and Washington playing as well as they did.  In any case, at this point Welsh could walk on water, and somebody would complain that he doesn't know how to swim.
+1 Niels.  We beat them statistically in every category except foul shooting.  I could have sworn they had more offensive rebounds but I was wrong after seeing the stats. 

UltimateHog

Simple.

Welsh-Junior.

Clarke-True Frosh.

End.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

diehardrbackfan

February 06, 2009, 09:54:41 pm #25 Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:14:41 pm by diehardrbackfan

hawgsav1

Quote from: diehardrbackfan on February 06, 2009, 09:54:41 pm
So because he put on the biggest show after the loss, it means he cared the most?  I guarentee you there were a bunch of upset guys on that team that chose to let out there emotions in the locker room.

It's completely useless to argue who cares 'more' than the other.  However, if anyone tries to dispute the fact that Welsh cares about the fortunes of this team as people are attempting to do, they are delusional.

berryhog

Quote from: diehardrbackfan on February 06, 2009, 09:54:41 pm
So because he put on the biggest show after the loss, it means he cared the most?  I guarentee you there were a bunch of upset guys on that team that chose to let out there emotions in the locker room.
I have been critical of Welsh at times this season, but the fact of the matter is he HAS TO SCORE in order for us to win.  We aren't consistent enough offensively for him to be on the bench. 
Also, Rotnei has to become more aggressive trying to drive and draw fouls and get to the line.  Eventually, his shots will fall.
All I can say about Fortson is to work on his 3 pt shot.  In order for us to be effective against a zone, he has to be able to knock down at least an occasional 3.