Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It isn't the offense...

Started by HogsonHicks, February 05, 2009, 01:11:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsonHicks

Our offense (or lack of) has been debated pretty heavily, but we scored 72 points while only shooting 9 of 17 from the line.  We're in the 75-78 range last night with decent free throw shooting.  That's right at our scoring average (76.3), and we're currently 5th in the SEC in scoring offense.  If you look at the team stats, the leading scoring teams are also leading the conferences standings, with us being the exception.  In short, offense isn't our main problem at this point.

Our primary problem is on defense.  We're currently 10th in scoring defense, 8th in FG% defense, and 10th in 3pt% defense.  We allow penetration from the top of the key into the lane with alarming frequency.  That leads to kick-out threes, short lane jumpers, and drop offs to the post.  I coach junior high basketball, and my 7th & 8th grade teams have the same problem.  That can't be allowed, as it puts our post defenders in a terrible defensive situation.

On another note, when you are of marginal size down low, and have marginal athleticism (not calling out players by name), you can play hard all day long, but you won't be an effective rebounder.  Rebounding is about position, keeping a solid base to shield your man, and shot awareness, and our big men seem to fall short all the way around.  Washington gets away with mediocre technique due to his size, wingspan, and athleticism, but the other post defenders can't.  It's a sad but true fact that Monk is smaller than all of our other post players (Washington, Sanchez, Moore, and Clark), hasn't played in 2-3 years, but is clearly our most fundamentally sound interior defender and rebounder.  His loss over the last several games has been HUGE.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HogsonHicks

If your response includes "Why am I even bothering" as an opener, then don't.

I was reasonably sure that our poor defense was not an epiphany on my part, but it was very apparent that the problem continues and was highlighted in the closing minutes last night, thus my post.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogsonHicks on February 05, 2009, 03:01:11 pm

I was reasonably sure that our poor defense was not an epiphany on my part, but it was very apparent that the problem continues and was highlighted in the closing minutes last night, thus my post.
Don't worry about it. Just Frank it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

donewithdale

Quote from: HogsonHicks on February 05, 2009, 03:01:11 pm

I thought it was a good post and you made very valid points. 

want2be

We can't match up with many teams to run a man to man and the 2-3 zone makes it difficult to find your man to block out on rebounds. We clogged the middle last night and Tenn was still able to get it to the iron. Granted Tenn front court is better, but most teams are also......We just don't have the size needed now in the front or back court. When Fortson and Rotnei play at the same time ,a team that can shoot 3's have a field day. Also last night it looked like we ran out of gas.....the lack of depth is evident.