Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting 3 players who are 6'1" or less

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 05, 2009, 09:40:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

is not a good recipe for success against taller and talented teams like TN. They got so many 2 and 3 foot shots and layups in the 2nd half last night, it was ridiculous.

C'est la vie.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HawgAdvocate

Thank you Captain Obvious. =)

But had Welsh or Washington hit that last second, 2 foot shot, it'd be a moot point.

We had quickness compared to their size. Welsh was playing the 3 spot, and his speed advantage in the transition offense kept us ahead for most of the game as he was cutting up their transition defense.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hoggy1

So, is it a miracle we only lost by 2?

If so, I guess you could say we played a good game last night....
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Oliver

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 05, 2009, 10:39:05 am
So, is it a miracle we only lost by 2?

If so, I guess you could say we played a good game last night....

Who said it was a miracle we only lost by 2?

Hoggy1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 05, 2009, 10:42:51 am
Who said it was a miracle we only lost by 2?

Me. 

If UT wasn't such blow hard choke artists with the HDN of SEC basketball, that UT team would have beaten us by 15+ last night.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

athunt

"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Oliver

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 05, 2009, 11:00:51 am
Me. 

If UT wasn't such blow hard choke artists with the HDN of SEC basketball, that UT team would have beaten us by 15+ last night.

Well, if we could have boxed people out and hit our free throws we would have won by 10+ last night.  Don't candy coat what went on last night.  We've lost by more to much worse teams this year (i.e. Auburn) at home but it doesn't change the fact that Tennessee is a mediocre team at best.  Calling it a miracle that we kept the game close in Fayetteville is ludicrous.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 05, 2009, 12:36:42 pm
Well, if we could have boxed people out and hit our free throws we would have won by 10+ last night.  Don't candy coat what went on last night.  We've lost by more to much worse teams this year (i.e. Auburn) at home but it doesn't change the fact that Tennessee is a mediocre team at best.  Calling it a miracle that we kept the game close in Fayetteville is ludicrous.

Yep.  Someone said it in another thread that last year's team would've put this Tennessee team away by 20.  Tennessee is not very good this year.  The problem is, we seem to be somewhat worse.

Ray Piggers

Yeah Welsh is definitely taller than 6'1.

I think Rotnei needs to come off the bench, get in the flow of the game before getting out there. I'd say start Jason Henry at the 3 spot. He's very active, and can pull more boards down than Sanchez.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 05, 2009, 12:45:45 pm
Yep.  Someone said it in another thread that last year's team would've put this Tennessee team away by 20.  Tennessee is not very good this year.  The problem is, we seem to be somewhat worse.

Tennessee does have the preseason SEC PoY, along with a ton of returning talent. Maze is a transfer from OK, who is no joke. Chism is no slouch either. We wanted him pretty bad a few years ago.

Let's be real here, we put a bunch of rookies on the floor versus a seasoned veteran bunch. There's a reason Corliss, Corey, Scotty, and crew lost to UNC in 1993, only to win it all in 94.

We'll improve over time.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 12:56:02 pm
Tennessee does have the preseason SEC PoY, along with a ton of returning talent. Maze is a transfer from OK, who is no joke. Chism is no slouch either. We wanted him pretty bad a few years ago.

Let's be real here, we put a bunch of rookies on the floor versus a seasoned veteran bunch. There's a reason Corliss, Corey, Scotty, and crew lost to UNC in 1993, only to win it all in 94.

We'll improve over time.

Nobody is doubting Tennessee's talent, they are saying that their talent isn't doing much on the floor...definitely not doing as well as they should be.   Tennessee has a lot of talent but isn't a good team this year.

DeltaBoy

Relax we have 6 fish and they are going to stink more often than not.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 09:49:24 am
Thank you Captain Obvious. =)

But had Welsh or Washington hit that last second, 2 foot shot, it'd be a moot point.

We had quickness compared to their size. Welsh was playing the 3 spot, and his speed advantage in the transition offense kept us ahead for most of the game as he was cutting up their transition defense.
And if you were more intelligent, you'd have a higher income. But you're not, so you don't. Frank it. I don't care anymore.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: athunt on February 05, 2009, 12:29:48 pm
Stefan Welsh is 6'3
Really? That's funny because he plays like he is 6'1". He gets his shot blocked more than anyone else on the team. But, just Frank it. I don't care anymore. I don't care if he is 7'1". Frank it.

athunt

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 05, 2009, 02:23:55 pm
Really? That's funny because he plays like he is 6'1". He gets his shot blocked more than anyone else on the team. But, just Frank it. I don't care anymore. I don't care if he is 7'1". Frank it.

Im not a welsh fan...but i will take him over sanchez any day of the week.  He boards harder, the only person that gets his shot sent back at him more than welsh is sanchez.  Ill take 6'3 over the 6'8 we got out there right now. 
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 05, 2009, 02:22:43 pm
And if you were more intelligent, you'd have a higher income. But you're not, so you don't. Frank it. I don't care anymore.

Say what? Ohhh, that's right. You've still got sore feelings about this past November. It'll be ok HiM. The sun will come up tomorrow, whether you Franking want it to or not.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 12:56:02 pm

We'll improve over time.

Why did you quote my post when you said this?  You didn't respond to anything I said.

Tennessee has some guys that were rated high due to their athleticism.  They are not great basketball players.  Tyler Smith is the exception.  He can make a move inside, drive past a guard, jump over a post player, and shoot from the outside.  He's their only good, true basketball player.  Hopson has potential to be a good basketball player, but isn't right now.  Maze is nothing special.  Chism lives off junk baskets, others setting up easy baskets for him, and shooting trailing threes on breakouts (at a 25% clip).  Prince can't shoot to save his live, is too lazy to rebound, and is fairly slow.  He's pretty fluid, but can be easily shutdown if you don't have a 6'0" guy guarding him.  Cameron Tatum is a decent shooter from outside, but that's all he can do.  And when he's not on, he's basically worthless.  Brian Williams isn't the most active player and can only play 16 minutes a game.  And the rest are basically non-factors, except maybe Tabb, who actually plays good defense and can handle the ball.  None of them play quality defense consistently.  Their team is not that good this year.  We just happen to be worse.

We will get better as the year goes on and will be better next year, as long as MW doesn't decide to enter the draft.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 04:39:54 pm
Say what? Ohhh, that's right. You've still got sore feelings about this past November. It'll be ok HiM. The sun will come up tomorrow, whether you Franking want it to or not.
it took me a few seconds to figure out what you are referring to. That means and meant nothing to me.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 05, 2009, 05:41:59 pm
it took me a few seconds to figure out what you are referring to. That means and meant nothing to me.

Soooo, why the post about income and my intelligence if you suddenly don't know what I was talking about? Cause you don't know anything about me.

IronHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 05, 2009, 09:40:08 am
is not a good recipe for success against taller and talented teams like TN. They got so many 2 and 3 foot shots and layups in the 2nd half last night, it was ridiculous.

C'est la vie.

The football team is getting much taller than the basketball team........

How does that work exactly?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Corkscrew Johnson

I agree.  We can't defend the perimeter, we can't press.

Welsh, Clarke, and Fortson need to rotate at the 1 and 2.  Henry needs to play all game at the 3.  I would LOVE to see Moore and Clark rotate liberally with Washington and Sanchez.  Washington was so tired at the end of the game that he was repeatedly backed down from 10 ft out all the way underneath the backboard. 

athunt

in his intro the announcer says 6'3....the announcer also says Mike Wash is 6'9...so if they arent giving Wash any extra inches then hes gotta be 6'3. Plus I see him all the time on campus and hes almost eye level with me and im 6'4
-Reggie Johnson

roundball

I'm 6'3 and walked next to him more than a few times he's 6'1 just look at him up next to clarke and fortson. They're both not 6'0 I don't care how they announce them!

thirtythree

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on February 05, 2009, 10:12:13 pm
I agree.  We can't defend the perimeter, we can't press.

Welsh, Clarke, and Fortson need to rotate at the 1 and 2.  Henry needs to play all game at the 3.  I would LOVE to see Moore and Clark rotate liberally with Washington and Sanchez.  Washington was so tired at the end of the game that he was repeatedly backed down from 10 ft out all the way underneath the backboard.

I wish we would press more. We actually got some TO's by pressing and tunrned it into points.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: thirtythree on February 06, 2009, 10:35:28 pm
I wish we would press more. We actually got some TO's by pressing and tunrned it into points.

If we had better depth, we would. Can't do it when you're running 7 deep. We'd be gassed before halftime.